I Have Many Questions, Please Help!

Hello everyone, I have many different questions regarding some future travel I would like to do in Thailand. I have a girlfriend in Thailand and recently spent three weeks with her in Thailand. I want to return again, but this time for a long period of time. (maybe 6-12 months, still not sure exactly) I just am unsure about how to go about this.

Which visa do I need?

Do I need to be working in order to stay there that long?

If I am doing volunter type work while I am there, can the organization that I am with help me stay there longer?

Can I buy a one way ticket if I go?

I am from the US. I am 21. Any help would be really great! Thanks!

Edited by nusder05

If you want to stay for that long the best option is indeed doing volunteer work, with a registered charity. based on that you can get a non-immigrant visa for 3 months wich can be extended to 1 year inside Thailand itself.

Make sure if you do volunteer work that they are willing to apply for a work permit for you. Without a work permit you are not allowed to work, inclusing volunteer work.

To apply for a non-O visa you will need to get a letter from the organisation you planning to do volunteer work confirming your volunteer work. Once you come to Thailand the orginazation will have to apply for the workpermit.

Another option is to apply for a multiple entry tourist visa, with 2 or 3 entries. each entry will give you 60 days, which can be extended by 30 days. After this you must leave the country but can come back the same day on your next entry. So this would give you almost 180 to 270 days. After that you can apply in a neigbouring country for a new (multiple) tourist visa.

You can only come on a one-way ticket with a visa. Without a visa the airline will not allow you to board the plane.

1. Get a 60 day tourist visa in US. (as many entries as possible)

2. Extend for 30 days at any immigration in Thailand.

3. if your visa has expired, go to Vietienne in Laos and get a new one.

Else go for a border run to get a new 60 day stamp.

4. Extend for 30 days at any immigration in Thailand.

5. Repeat from number 3 as many times you like.

You can only come on a one-way ticket with a visa. Without a visa the airline will not allow you to board the plane.

You need a Non Immigrant Visa not a Tourist Visa if you want purchase a one-way ticket, as a matter of fact the Thai embassy will ask you to show a return ticket if you apply for a Tourist Visa.

Cheers;)

Edited by Siriam

You need a Non Immigrant Visa not a Tourist Visa if you want purchase a one-way ticket, as a matter of fact the Thai embassy will ask you to show a return ticket if you apply for a Tourist Visa.

Cheers;)

By all accounts not very likely he will be asked if he is a US citizen applying in the US.

By all accounts not very likely he will be asked if he is a US citizen applying in the US.

Interesting, then in my country Thai consulate's officers are much more strict than there... no way to get a Tourist Visa without a copy of a purchased return ticket, and to be frank, it makes sense to me!

Cheers;)

Each consulate has its own rules, for which reason it is useful to say for consulate one refers to when talking about a consulate's requirements. In Zurich, Switzerland, for example, the consulate asks for a confirmed return or onward flight even when I apply for a non-O visa.

--

Maestro

Why not go to school?

You are 21, are you a college student? If so, why not do a study abroad through your college.

Or if they do not offer study abroad programs to Thailand, you can also take a leave of absence and go on your own.

It would solve your visa issue and would also give you something productive to do.

Edited by CWMcMurray

I guess I am slightly more confused now.

I for sure would like to buy a one way ticket, can I do this with a tourist visa or not? Does it have to be a non-immigrant visa to be a one way? What exactly is the difference between those two visas?

Thanks for the help!

The difference between a non-immigrant visa and a tourist visa is that a tourist visa is for 60 days and can be extended with an extra 30 days. A non-immigrant visa is given for a purpose, like volunteer work or education, and is for 90 days. A non-immigrant can be exteded to 1 year, if you meet the qualifications.

With a tourist visa you might have problems getting on board the plane. It depends on the airline.

So, if I apply for the 60 day tourist visa before I leave and get it, I will have a hard time flying there on a one way ticket?

Where do I apply for the 60 day tourist visa, are they hard to get?

Apply at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in USA. They are easy to get . Try and get a double or a triple entry.

Each entry can be extended for 30 days at Immigration in Thailand.

This is one place . Chicago. There are others.

http://www.thaichicago.net/clate/visa.html

Edited by Lite Beer

Where you apply can depend on your location, there are several honorary consulates around that you can apply to. Tourist visas are easy to get most places, but they may require an onward ticket out of Thailand before the visa expires. That may also be something an airline would like to see.

you better study here in Thailand if you want to stay here for 1 year +. There are many wonderful universities here offers great programs which would be very handy for your future. This girl friend of yours, won't stay with you for long if you don't have cash. At age 21, i assume you have nothing, no cash and no college degree. You don't even have money to buy return ticket.

i don't think the airline authority will let you board without a return ticket if you are on tourist visa. I suggest you better have a return ticket so that you can just return back home in case of emergency. Trust me, anything can happen, this is Thailand.

Edited by sunny747

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone is making it out to be so hard.

-Apply for multi entry tourist visa in US.

-Check with the airline if they will let you fly on a one way ticket (this is very hit and miss, but they do seem to be clamping down on it).

-If the answer is no, then either buy a refundable return, or book a cheap local flight to Maylaysia/ Laos etc. (one way tickets are generally not much - if any - cheaper than returns these days).

-When the visa expires, check in here for the latest 'friendly' consulate offering tourist visas (currently Vientianne, but will probably change by the time you need to renew).

It's no drama, actually it's quite easy.