Major Airlines To Cut Long-haul Flights To Thailand

george

Just looked at some flights from Bkk-LHR and BA want Bt19,000 in taxes and fees. The ticket is a shade over Bt32,000 and they want another 19k.

It is a joke. It is not a fuel surcharge at all. How on earth can it cost so much "extra" to transport a 10kg infant 6000 miles ? Just bull.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had an interesting experience this week with EVA Air relating to the higher fuel prices....

I had finished my business on my trip back to the USA, and was considering changing my return flight back to BKK to an earlier date. Normally, the EVA rebooking charge would cost $100, but I would have saved more than that thru savings by avoiding hotel nights here...

However, when I called EVA and found they had an earlier return seat available, they insisted the price for making the change would be $175 -- the normal $100 rebooking charge for an economy ticket, PLUS about $75 more that they argued was the increase in the fuel surcharge since the time of my original ticket purchase some months ago.

I argued with the rep about that, and asked her to check with her supervisor. But the answer came back that to change the date of my return flight, which I had already purchased, they would have to re-issue my ticket...which all along was an E-mail ticket anyway... And in reissuing the ticket, they insisted I'd become responsible for the current higher fuel surcharge....

The $175 added price would have ended up eating away most of my potential hotel savings. So in the end, I decided to just keep my original return flight, and spend a few more days relaxing in L.A. and visiting with friends here.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience lately with trying to change the date of an already purchased ticket/reservation. EVA's interpretation of that came as quite a surprise... and I wasn't going to give them an extra $175....on top of the already expensive RT ticket price...

And,with the way ticket prices are soaring, I may not be making trips back to the USA quite so often as has been my practice the past couple years...

I was going to post this as a separate thread a few days ago but decided against it but now I'll write about it here.

My Thai friend has been a loyal Thai Airways customer for over 20 years and is also a Royal Orchid Gold member. Recently he (and 3 family members) had to travel to LA and were going to fly EVA but decided to use the saved miles from Thai Airways and travel first class non stop Bkk-LA and return LA-BKK. He booked the tickets some time ago.

Last week, just a few days before the flight, Thai Airways contacted him and said that the direct flight from LA to Bkk had been cancelled and they would put him on another airline. They chose EVA and an economy seat AND one day later with no compensation whatsoever. This meant an extra night in USA for 4 people which he would have to pay for and the fact that he'd wasted his miles in upgrading.

Anyway to cut a long story short, after a written complaint and numerous phone calls he was told that Thai would pay for a hotel of their choice in LA (he wanted to spend the extra day somewhere else... sorry I forget where) and that if he wanted more he basically "could sue them". Of course being Thai he just said "mai pen rai" and that was it.

Oh, to keep this on topic... he is still in LA and I am interested to hear whether he had to pay any extra fuel surcharges or not.

Actually I have several other bad experiences with Thai Airways recently but I'm afraid I'll be off topic.

He wouldnt pay extra fuel charges, once tickets are booked and paid for, its a done deal.

He should get credit back from TG for diff in miles since he was placed in Economy instead of First. Funny thing is LAX to BKK hasnt been canceled. :o

I am on a contract outside Philadelpia now and was looking over flight options for my upcoming flight to BKK. I kept trying to find the Non-stop flight from Thai airways out of JFK but could not seem to find the non-stop option. Now I see why. It looks like Thai airways has stopped it. That is OK. There are some JAL flights that go through Chicago connections or even non-stop to Japan from this East Coast. I do like JAL. have always had great flights. Food is fresher, the attendants actually clean the bathroom hourly. Every flight has just been a joy. Half the fun of a trip is the journey getting there and JAL helps that a lot.

I recall flying on a flight which was Thai Airways, AUA and Lauda Air. It has three flight numbers. AUA did the flight (The airplanes look inside like a bus in the 1960s).

The Thai Airways flight was more expensive and I saw Thais who booked it. Of course there wasn't 1 person at the airplane staff who spoke Thai, just German and English.

If I would have been a Thai Airways customer I would have felt ripped off.

Gulf has just ADDED a morning direct flight from Bahrain to Bangkok and on my evening flight last week cattle was full, 70% business, 25% First. Morning flight Full all classes according to the chief steu.

Now that is on topic. :o

TAT says airlines are dropping Thailand, but Gulf Air is increasing the flights.

If you want to discuss prices, please start a new thread.

Half full aircraft should mean discounted seats, :D

unless you are talking about THAI. :D

Half full aircraft should mean discounted seats,

No, that's history.

These days, half-full aircraft means that a flight is taken out, with the passengers moved a day later or earlier to make up a full aircraft.

Flying half full planes is a thing of the past.

He wouldnt pay extra fuel charges, once tickets are booked and paid for, its a done deal.

Not quite true... Brit...

If you note above my recent post regarding EVA.... my ticket was bought and paid for completely... But when I wanted to just slightly change the date of the return flight segment, they insisted I'd be responsible for their standard $100 change date fee AND the increase in their fuel charge since the time of my original purchase.....since they claimed they would have to "reissue" my original E-ticket....

Not quite true... Brit...

If you note above my recent post regarding EVA.... my ticket was bought and paid for completely... But when I wanted to just slightly change the date of the return flight segment, they insisted I'd be responsible for their standard $100 change date fee AND the increase in their fuel charge since the time of my original purchase.....since they claimed they would have to "reissue" my original E-ticket....

Seems a bit expensive IMHO.

Even though technically they could say it is classed as a new ticket and charge the ongoing penalties according to the rtes of the day, i reckon Joe public is yet again being fleeced.

I,ve just booked with Qatar and the travel agent says there is a charge of 1,600 baht ONLY should i wish to change the dates on issuing.

They have also offered to pay the surcharge if i have to do this on my behalf, if i email them in advance. :o

Does it depend on what sort of ticket you purchase by any chance ( a general reference / open question )

marshbags

I am taking Eva air out of NYC this year, I was looking forward to the Thai non stop, but if they gave up their slot at JFK, they won't be getting it back. Eva is a two stopper and then BKK to Chiang Mai is another.

The world is changing and it is not going to be pretty. Bring back the bicycle, I for one could lose a few stone.

www.humbletraveler.com is my photo site.

I am taking Eva air out of NYC this year, I was looking forward to the Thai non stop, but if they gave up their slot at JFK, they won't be getting it back. Eva is a two stopper and then BKK to Chiang Mai is another.

The world is changing and it is not going to be pretty. Bring back the bicycle, I for one could lose a few stone.

www.humbletraveler.com is my photo site.

Doom/gloom is the trend these days, take the optimistic approach and half the battle is won. :o

I'm optimistic. If tourism suffers, more discounts will come our way.

That makes too much sense. TIT.

Just flew in June from LAX-TPE-BKK and return on EVA and every flight was full.

post-54955-1215230482_thumb.jpg

That EVA flight is pretty convenient, except for the fact that you have to fly out of Newark.

:o

I found very... opportune... that TAT discontinued... its website with statistics of arrivals (with 2 months lag only, per country, and type of borders, airport, land etc.), based on Immigration datas.

Everything was in nice Excel files, per month. It was great to follow precisely the flows of tourists.

But they stopped in february 2008 (with december 2007 figures)... And then the website... just gone.

The link was :

http://www2.tat.or.th/stat/web/static_download.php?Rpt=nmt

Even though it's still possible to manipulate hard datas, now I guess, we will have to rely on super late press releases. :o

No more figures for tourists arrivals. No figures for number of work permits, for visas (per type, tourist, O, business, retirement etc.)...

No figures that could embarass the authorities...

Hmmm, An Ostrich approach to dealing with inconvenient statistics!

Look at the British Airways shareprice and their current focus on 'non-discretionary' customers to see which way the wind is blowing. The explaination for certain middle eastern airlines adding routes is blindingly simple - they are sat on lakes of oil and the revenue it brings. Of course the oil price is crazy and born largely of speculation, but even when it falls severe damage will have already been done to the world economy.

P.S Do the Thai government provide statistics of house price movements, or will they try to keep the lid on this one until all the newbuild empty condos are sold?

That makes too much sense. TIT.

Just flew in June from LAX-TPE-BKK and return on EVA and every flight was full.

I just did my return yesterday to BKK on the same LAX-TPE-BKK route on EVA...

As always...the LAX-TPE segment was full, at least in economy and evergreen deluxe.... But there were plenty of seats open on the connecting TPE-BKK segment, though not noticeably more than normal...

For some reason, EVA always has two flights leaving TPE for BKK within a half hour of each other...in the morning around 8:30 am or 9 am.... And I was on the second of those.... So maybe the first, earlier one was fuller.... Not sure why they schedule like that....

Gulf has just ADDED a morning direct flight from Bahrain to Bangkok and on my evening flight last week cattle was full, 70% business, 25% First. Morning flight Full all classes according to the chief steu.

Now that is on topic. :o

TAT says airlines are dropping Thailand, but Gulf Air is increasing the flights.

If you want to discuss prices, please start a new thread.

Half full aircraft should mean discounted seats, :D

unless you are talking about THAI. :D

Gulf Air flight from Bahrain to BKK is shared with Thai Airways btw.

Regarding price at the moment company had to pay USD.745 for return ticket economy Bahrain-BKK.

That's the cheapest variety I guess since within Economy there's different classes as well ( apparently there's m class, l class and such) and a bit higher class is quoted for 950 USD.

I have to pick up my tickets to LOS on monday (Thai Airways): Rome-Phuket-Rome 1.400 euro, last year same period 1.100.......

I think this time will be a farewell to Thailand or, at least, to Thai Airways! :o

annetta

I flew Qantas economy last week BKK-LHR because Thai and other Asian alternatives are now very expensive. Apart from the flight being delayed by 4 hours (striking engineers in Auz), it was one of the best flights I have been on for a while. Aircraft had been updated with the latest technology with on demand video/games/etc, service has been smartened up, lots of food/good wines, attentive cabin crew. Compare this to Thai on the same route: no LCD in the back of the headrests and a service that now feels dated. I think Qantas is better than Thai now, which is a real surprise.

I recall flying on a flight which was Thai Airways, AUA and Lauda Air. It has three flight numbers. AUA did the flight (The airplanes look inside like a bus in the 1960s).

The Thai Airways flight was more expensive and I saw Thais who booked it. Of course there wasn't 1 person at the airplane staff who spoke Thai, just German and English.

If I would have been a Thai Airways customer I would have felt ripped off.

This is called code sharing and has been going on for almost 20 years, so it is not an effect of the present oil crisis. You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeshare_agreement

That said, it can be rather confusing (or irritating) because each airline applies its own rules, pricing etc on what is in fact the same "product".

/ Priceless

He should get credit back from TG for diff in miles since he was placed in Economy instead of First. Funny thing is LAX to BKK hasnt been canceled. :o

Yes, you are right. LAX - BKK hasn't been canceled but they have cut back on flights. Sorry, my mistake.

But they still had to change to EVA and fly back one day later than planned and arrive in Bkk today.

As for fuel surcharge I will have to ask him again but that's what he told me.

No, he couldn't get any compensation for diff. in miles. As mentioned THAI would only pay for a hotel of their choice in LA.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just booked my flight back to Thailand with qatar airways today, For august 16 395 gbp 4 pounds less than my flight in may. The cheap ones are still there if you look and are prepared to wait until almost the last min and maybe have a stop over of a few hours.

Cy

• 2 weeks later...
Just done a quick check on a local outfit travel agent E-Book...s for a couple of dates in October ...next joli and WOT . :D

..Thai Airways to Bangers is 786 quid while the "Bahrain sand dancers" at Gulf Air are dong the trip ...(albiet with a stop in one of my old stomping grounds) for 476 pound. :D ...difference of over 300 notes.

Must admit that I have enjoyed TG over the years (usually 2-4 trips a year )and had lots of good times with them .. even a Gold card until they messed about with the miles but looks like history repeats itself....in ...Pop Gun Mai Krup....see you....NO MORE CUSTOM....Hoe-Zay..

Wifes GC expires in Jan and even she reluctantly agrees that the "as smooth as rip off silk"price hike merchants have had their day.......shame ......

Next years first visit (March) I will have 5 other with me plus wifee but when the difference between Taliban air..oops...and TG hits over 2,000 quid ..guess wot.

.....would rather spend the dosh in poor Chiang Mai beer bars..or buy another 10 Rai. :D:o

... and don't overlook that Thai AIR changed its policies in allowed luggage, even for Thai people; when my thai girlfriend went here 3 months ago, she was told about 30 kg (+8 KG cabin) but at the checkin last week she might have been charged overweight luggage so the decided to leave some of her goodies here (now: 20 + 7, but at last 25 + 7 accepted).

when my thai girlfriend went here 3 months ago, she was told about 30 kg (+8 KG cabin) but at the checkin last week she might have been charged overweight luggage so the decided to leave some of her goodies here (now: 20 + 7, but at last 25 + 7 accepted).

... :o did she bring her gold with her or what; or did she smuggle your MIL ? :D

LaoPo

• 2 weeks later...