Po Boxes/mail Boxes

Khun Bob

Hi All

I hope to be spending some time in Thailand next year and wondered if anyone knows about PO Boxes or mail boxes in bangkok ?

What I would like to know is :

* Who offers them and where are they

* How much do they cost

* What is is your experiences with the company

* How safe are they

* What extra services do they provide - ie mail forwarding

* Does the Thai post office offer them

Cheers and look forward to hear from you...

Hi All

I hope to be spending some time in Thailand next year and wondered if anyone knows about PO Boxes or mail boxes in bangkok ?

What I would like to know is :

* Who offers them and where are they

* How much do they cost

* What is is your experiences with the company

* How safe are they

* What extra services do they provide - ie mail forwarding

* Does the Thai post office offer them

Cheers and look forward to hear from you...

I saw a Mailboxes Etc. at the Big C on Phaholyothin near Saphan Kwai. It was very tiny by American Standards. Not sure what services they provide there.

Mailboxesetc are all over bkk.

No 24 hr access though, not cheap either but safe.

They are usually found in the large supermarkets and malls.

There is one on Phrom Phong station that would be easy for you to track down for more details.

Boxes are available at some POs.

Don't know about the private services, but boxes at most PO's are the grand sum of 150 baht a year. Access only during PO hours, no fancy services. Reliable and safe, though (in my experience). You'll need a copy of your passport in order to open one.

Don't know about the private services, but boxes at most PO's are the grand sum of 150 baht a year.  Access only during PO hours, no fancy services.  Reliable and safe, though (in my experience).  You'll need a copy of your passport in order to open one.

I had a box with a private company for 1000bt a year and they were opening up my mail, so beware if you plan on recieving any valuables. I since opened a box with the post office for 150bt a year, and it's fine so far.

I have a box at the local Post Office.

They are not easy to come by, and are very cheap, and more reliable for

mail delivery than your house.

There is a down side.

Recently I needed to open a new bank account in the UK.

The latest Money Laudering laws say that you must have a "real address"

A Post Office box is just not acceptable.

This caused me no end of hassles.

Stupid, as the Inland Revenue is quite happy to send my tax bill

to my PO Box!!

Thanks all for your replies - I have a few more questions :

For Post Office 150bt a year PO Boxes :

* How big are they

* How long does it take to get one

* Do you get a key and just go in and open up when you go to the post office

* How secure are they

* What is the process to get one

* Is there an application form

* Are there good places/bad places to have them

* Would it be possible to have one say in bkk and khon kaen

* If you dont empty your box for a while - what happens when it fills up

* Anyone have any further experience with Thai Post Offive PO Boxes

On the point raised by astral about uk banks and addresses - is it possible to make your po box look like a real address ? or how did you deal with this one ?

I have seen Mailboxes ETC in bkk and they do offer a range of services. Not sure which ones are good and how it compares to the Poist Office PO Boxes

Thanks in advance for your help

Thanks all for your replies - I have a few more questions :

For Post Office 150bt a year PO Boxes :

* How big are they

* How long does it take to get one

* Do you get a key and just go in and open up when you go to the post office

* How secure are they

* What is the process to get one

* Is there an application form

* Are there good places/bad places to have them

* Would it be possible to have one say in bkk and khon kaen

* If you dont empty your box for a while - what happens when it fills up

* Anyone have any further experience with Thai Post Offive PO Boxes

On the point raised by astral about uk banks and addresses - is it possible to make your po box look like a real address ?  or how did you deal with this one ?

I have seen Mailboxes ETC in bkk and they do offer a range of services.  Not sure which ones are good and how it compares to the Poist Office PO Boxes

Thanks in advance for your help

the box size varies, but most will accept standard mail. larger items will be kept for you and a note will be put in your box to collect. post office boxes tend to be larger than the private boxes.

usually, you get a box and key immediately, but my post office took two days to check my home address - im not sure that this is done with all pst offices. private boxes don't check address.

the boxes are secure from outside influences, but it's more a case of someone internally tampering with your mail - test the box out for a few weeks !!

no or a very small application form - very easy !! need to show passport with post office, but private boxes they asked for nothing.

i believe you can have as many boxes as you like, certtainly with the private boxes you can.

if you plan on not emptying your box for long time, get a large box. although most places will keep the post for you, most probably don't like it if a large amount build up. also, the post will more likely go missing.

I've heard of some people replacing the box number with a room or suite number to make it appear it is residential. you probably can't do this with the post office box, but private boxes may allow this - check first !!

• 7 months later...

My recent experiences:

Mailboxes, Etc.: 3rd Floor/Big C (EGV Metropolis across from WTC) Ratchadamrii Rd. b1,600 for six months for a smallish post office box (3"x5"). Seems reliable, at least so far. Mail gets delivered once per day shortly after 12 noon. Like MBE/The UPS Store in the U.S., your address looks more like an office suite (MBE Suite No. NNN, 89/36, 97/11 No. 307 Rajdumri Rd. Lumpini Patumwan Bangkok 10330 Thailand).

Thailand Post: Nana Post Office south side of Sukhumvit near soi 4. Enter the left hand door and head upstairs. Apply for a post office box (two copies of your passport required); the total fees for 12 months came to b481.50. Today they had ~ 50 boxes available; they show you a list of available numbers form which you can choose. The address here is quite simple: Name, Post Office Box NNNN, Nana Post Office Bangkok, 10112 Thailand).

* How big are they: MBE's are 3"x5", Thai Post are more like 5"x5"

* How long does it take to get one: 10 minutes

* Do you get a key and just go in and open up when you go to the post office: Yes

* How secure are they: Not sure how to answer? Obviously employees have total access.

* What is the process to get one: Fill out a form, passport required, pay money, get key.

* Is there an application form: Yes.

* Are there good places/bad places to have them: No experience.

* Would it be possible to have one say in bkk and khon kaen: I would say yes.

* If you dont empty your box for a while - what happens when it fills up: Not sure? Expect they would hold you mail?

* Anyone have any further experience with Thai Post Offive PO Boxes: Other than what I posted above, no.

Edited by lomatopo