Walk Of Shame

whatsoever

Pattaya is fine - what is remarkable is how many who whinge about it, if you don't like it stay away - leave it to those that do like it. Personally think Bangkok is a sh*tehole, but don't see me going in the Bangkok forum - constantly whinging about.

Fact is many families come and keep returning to Pattaya with all its warts and all. Every wkd - thai(s) jam up the expressway to come down to Pattaya from Bangkok. So at the end of the day - most thai(s) and farang(s) love Fun City. :o

Go back a few posts and you'll find my point was Pattaya had been advertised as 'a family friendly, quiet Thai fishing village' to regular holidaymakers in the UK.

Let's be honest, imagine their horror when they arrived.

I'm amazed people on here actually deny Pattaya is anything other than what it really is. I would like to add that, yes it does have P.I.C Kitchen and Jazz Pit and a Sheraton Hotel, so I concede it really is a 1st Class global destination. :D

Now, now MJP.....you cant have a yellow shirt with a red stripe....don't concede anything bloke :D

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya is fine - what is remarkable is how many who whinge about it, if you don't like it stay away - leave it to those that do like it. Personally think Bangkok is a sh*tehole, but don't see me going in the Bangkok forum - constantly whinging about.

Fact is many families come and keep returning to Pattaya with all its warts and all. Every wkd - thai(s) jam up the expressway to come down to Pattaya from Bangkok. So at the end of the day - most thai(s) and farang(s) love Fun City. :o

Go back a few posts and you'll find my point was Pattaya had been advertised as 'a family friendly, quiet Thai fishing village' to regular holidaymakers in the UK.

Let's be honest, imagine their horror when they arrived.

I'm amazed people on here actually deny Pattaya is anything other than what it really is. I would like to add that, yes it does have P.I.C Kitchen and Jazz Pit and a Sheraton Hotel, so I concede it really is a 1st Class global destination. :D

Now, now MJP.....you cant have a yellow shirt with a red stripe....don't concede anything bloke :D

I don't hate the place, I just don't deny what it is. To flog it as 'family friendly' and 'quiet fishing village'. I mean really!

Although I did get a nasty dose of food poisoning there once, really nasty, so perhaps I'm a little bias.

You can't change a brothel into a 5 star restaurant, without changing it's managers, staff, interiour and customers. And even if you tried, the name will always stay.

They are trying to promote Pattaya as something it is not.

It's a 'single' guys playground and they should keep it like that.

If you want luxury family holidays, stay away from Pattaya. or even Thailand. There's far nicer and cleaner places around.

As for infrastructure everything is done by poor unskilled workers, so unless Thai people are willing to accept that there are better ways to do someting it will always stay like that.

Funny. I was at the Pattaya Sheraton this weekend and that was a 5 star hotel, magnificently appointed and had top service and food. Perhaps you anti-Pattaya whiners don't much get past the relics on Beach Road and the go go bars, which would account for your almost perverse obsession with the lower end of life there, and why you can't discuss other forms of quality lifestyles which are readily available in Pattaya and the surrounding area.

.....and did you enjoy a nice swim in the "quality" ocean there ? or a nice leisurely stroll along the broadwalk ? :o

Sorry Davyboy , not even attempting to be personal , but your post made me smile and chuckle somewhat . It came across to me that you go to Pataya to practise abstinance , my you are a dedicated fellow .

No Dumball, I don't need to pratice anything, I have my lovely wife (married 15 years) who takes care of all my needs. As I say, we love Pattaya and enjoy our holidays. Maybe you have a differant agenda for your pleasures in life!!

:o:D

I would of snap kicked my friend if he took me to Pattaya for a holiday with my wife

Without doubt, one of the most amusing posts I have ever read on TV.

Was it really that funny??

To be honest every post from thedon had snap kick in it, I thought it was quite annoying really. :o

When the west winds begin in March or so, the west coast beaches on Phuket are just encrusted with garbage. Literally the entire lengths, at the high tide lines- about a meter wide.

Drive around and all you see is garbage, huge dump sites everywhere. In residential areas- households just toss it out the window and then once a week or so burn it, plastics and all.

Thais are so preoccupied with their appearance looking neat, and their vehicles too , but when it comes to true cleanliness, superficiality is the word that comes to mind.

How many Thais did you see today with their finger digging deeply into their nostril or blowing their nose into the wind. First time I saw that,I almost retched.

No small wonder they all have colds constantly.

LoS - Land of Superficiality

Then go home.

Your such a nasty piece of work horsedoctor.

I would of snap kicked my friend if he took me to Pattaya for a holiday with my wife

To be honest every post from thedon had snap kick in it, I thought it was quite annoying really. :o

C'mon SD, it was funny cus it weren't meant to be (or was it?). Th' Don is a legend.

To be honest every post from thedon had snap kick in it, I thought it was quite annoying really. :D

C'mon SD, it was funny cus it weren't meant to be (or was it?). Th' Don is a legend.

legen in his own mind. i bet his girls family got rid of him, he would have caused them to lose face :o:D

Sorry Davyboy , not even attempting to be personal , but your post made me smile and chuckle somewhat . It came across to me that you go to Pataya to practise abstinance , my you are a dedicated fellow .

No Dumball, I don't need to pratice anything, I have my lovely wife (married 15 years) who takes care of all my needs. As I say, we love Pattaya and enjoy our holidays. Maybe you have a differant agenda for your pleasures in life!!

:o:D

You missed my attempt at irony , i said "Practise ABSTINANCE " , like go without for a few days in the city of sin .

• 4 weeks later...
Ive been once to Pattaya, never again, its a shithole. I will never go to that place again

I,ve been to Pattaya about 6 times now in the last 5 years,the last time a fortnight ago.

I've been to Sydney 2 times after living in Aus all my life.

Just makes me wonder why you want to move to Thai in Jan this year?

Really which place is a shithole??

Sydney is shit, expensive, the people are not friendly and I could go on, also I have lived here all my life. Need a change and Thailand is a exciting place and I'm hoping it will be my home forever.

I was going to move to Melbourne, they have friendly people but its too dam cold, people in SA and WA are all rednecks, Tassy there all related to eachother, NT there is nothing there and QLD is a hole

Yes,Queensland is a hole..A big warm hole with beautiful beaches and a heck of a lot less people then NSW or Melbourne.... :o

I'm going on over 4 years here, and have traveled quite a fair share throughout this tiny, pissant, developing third world country. ONCE I spent two hours in Pattaya. It was more than enough for this lifetime, and maybe the next one too! If I never spent another second there, I'd not miss it in the slightest.

I think one would be hard pressed indeed to pick a place that is more "un-thai" than that area even if you looked very hard. Believe me I am NO fan of the glorious "Land 'O Thais" or it's ever smiling, yet diminutive natives, but the place is just about as horrid an area that you can find in thailand and maybe S/E Asia altogether.

That the place holds such an attraction is literally amazing. I didn't realize there were so many people wading in the shallow end of the gene pool until I went there. The sheer numbers of foreigners who had splayed toed, gold encrusted, tattooed and body pierced (in)significant others walking behind them (also known as their "thai-in-tow") was just staggering.

While I am loathe to agree with "TheDon" about anything; I think a snap kick to the head is in order..

It is sad that first time visitors come to thailand on a package holiday and end up in Pattaya or Patong for two weeks and then go home again with an image of Thailand that is not at all a true image of the country.

Even worse is the number of guys i know in Isaan that have gone to Pattaya met their wife and then just visit Pattaya and the small village in Isaan where their mrs family comes from.

Pattaya is probably the worst beach resort in Thailand. Certainly not a family resort. I would be embarassed to take any farang visitors to Pattaya.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

I think that we all can agree on that the beaches in Pattaya are in a sad state, I would never go near it myself! The problem is that since the Thai don´t understand that they are sitting on a goldmine here, (if they clean it up and develop it like for instant they did in Italy and Spain when the competition from Turkey and Greece hit them), nothing will ever happened!

The only thing that the Thai seems to care about are ventures that can make money, then they can go to most any length to do anything. I think pressure must come from the big travel agencies not only the once from USA, Canada, Australia and Europe but also from the Asian ones!

I think that we all can agree on that the beaches in Pattaya are in a sad state, I would never go near it myself! The problem is that since the Thai don´t understand that they are sitting on a goldmine here, (if they clean it up and develop it like for instant they did in Italy and Spain when the competition from Turkey and Greece hit them), nothing will ever happened!

The only thing that the Thai seems to care about are ventures that can make money, then they can go to most any length to do anything. I think pressure must come from the big travel agencies not only the once from USA, Canada, Australia and Europe but also from the Asian ones!

It is not the travel agents job to try and change a tourist destination to fit the discription that they advertise. They should not promote a place as a beach resort when the beach is a mess. There are many nice beach resorts in Thailand, Pattaya is not one of them.

It is up to the government to make improvements to Pattaya and then tourist agents can promote the place accordingly.

Let's face some facts. Many if not most first time family visitors to Pattaya come here because it is cheap and because they cannot afford to go to more upscale places. They must also be computer illiterate as any google on Pattaya brings up more sex than anything else. They are not your A, B or even C1 socio-economic groups,, they are your C2 and D and even E. They are the same people who go to Benidorm.

Sticking a 5* hotel in the middle of Pattaya is fine. You just get a richer whoremonger.

Pattaya is sex, leave it as that and be done with it.

Ive been once to Pattaya, never again, its a shithole. I will never go to that place again

I,ve been to Pattaya about 6 times now in the last 5 years,the last time a fortnight ago.

Sydney is shit, expensive, the people are not friendly and I could go on, also I have lived here all my life. Need a change and Thailand is a exciting place and I'm hoping it will be my home forever.

I was going to move to Melbourne, they have friendly people but its too dam cold, people in SA and WA are all rednecks, Tassy there all related to eachother, NT there is nothing there and QLD is a hole

Yes,Queensland is a hole..A big warm hole with beautiful beaches and a heck of a lot less people then NSW or Melbourne.... :o

Are you aware you are quoting, and arguing against, posts about six months old from a <deleted> who has been banned at least three times from Thaivisa?i

Are you aware you are quoting, and arguing against, posts about six months old from a <deleted> who has been banned at least three times from Thaivisa?i

:o

I noticed that as well, but thought I'd let someone crankier than I reply first ! :D

i don't think the hard core sex DVDs displayed on every stall every 50ft alone the beach road helps either.

Yeah. I wish they'd stop selling all my home movies like that. Downright embarrassing when I'm out for an evening stroll and people keep pointing at those movies and then at me ! And then start asking for autographed copies of the movies, and "personal pics" ! :D

Some of those decent, respectable little old ladies can get quite "friendly" when they are on vacation ! :o

Yes,Queensland is a hole..A big warm hole with beautiful beaches and a heck of a lot less people then NSW or Melbourne.... :D

Ah crap,now you tell me... :o

I would shoot myself,but that requires an effort......A blonde suspects her boyfriend of cheating on her. She goes out and buys a gun. She goes to his apartment unexpectedly and sure enough, she opens the door and finds him in the arms of a redhead. Well, now she’s angry! She opens her purse to take out the gun but as she does so, she is overcome with grief. She takes the gun and points to her head. The boyfriend yells, “No, honey, don’t do it!!” “Shut up,” she says, “You’re next.” :o

It is not the travel agents job to try and change a tourist destination to fit the discription that they advertise. They should not promote a place as a beach resort when the beach is a mess. There are many nice beach resorts in Thailand, Pattaya is not one of them.

It is up to the government to make improvements to Pattaya and then tourist agents can promote the place accordingly.

No, you are absolutely right, it is not the travel agents job to try and change a tourist destination to fit the description that they advertise, but what I am saying is that their criticism and ultimatum could be the thing that made the Thai understand that they need to change, to clean up their beaches, to build and fix up the beach and its ventures, to improve the conditions along the beaches etc.

Be nice if the beach/waters were cleaned up - that is truly my only whinge about pristine and faire Pattaya. :D

Beaches ? Where are these beaches you speak of ? :D

Is that the newest name of the newest club in town ?

I always thought the beaches were those little narrow areas around the jacuzzis, where you put your drink. :o

P.J.O'Rourke wrote "Holidays in hel_l' should have had a chapter on Pattaya, or depending on your persuasions

"Holidays in Paradise"

BTW the route from BKK to Pattaya is well marked, trash lines every metre of the way. (except of course the Xway).

When I have the inclination I will estimate the total weight of trash dumped in Thailand, but "The Trash begins at Johore

Bahru"

What was once a scenic area/walkway near the Royal Cliff has now turned into a dumping ground, someone has even gone to the trouble of unscrewing most of the nuts from the lamp standard bases, unless the contractor decided two were enough.

There is a "geocache" on a nearby viewpont, aptly called "Trash Mountain"

An aquaintance recently cycled from Mae Sai to Penang, most endearing memories?.....garbage,garbage, garbage and dogs.

In 1969 my father would rent me a horse on Pattaya beach for 5 baht an hour and I'd ride it all over, alone and across the street to our little bungalow 2 blocks from the beach - at he age of 8 .

Imagine doing that now.

Well, the only thing that's changed is the price and the type of rental. :D

PMSL!!! HAHAHAA!

Yes inflation has got the better of it, its 300 baht an hour now to rent a whore,....OH sorry you said horse :D

Jet skis. I meant: Jet Skis!

Sheesh. :D

sure ya did... :o

The first time I came to Thailand, I was amazed at what a mess it was. I'm sure most who first land on these shores observed the same thing. It is just that with time, one gets sorta used to it, so it becomes sort of semi-normal.

You can go book yourself into a 5 star establishment, but quality? C'mon, you should get out more.

The problem i see is that during decades of economic growth, most of the money has been pocketed by the few, and the infrastructure that was built with what was left is of such poor quality that it falls apart pretty rapidly. So come a prolonged, deep downturn, one can just imagine what this place will look like in a few years time.....

When my parents came to visit they also commented about the general dirtiness, as I'm sure most new visitors will notice. I have become almost blind to it myself. Admittedly, I took them nowhere near Pattaya! :D They had a great time and are already planning their next trip.

Yes, it would be nice to have everything clean and tidy but, what the h3ll, go to Singapore, spotless... and BORING! People have inhabited this land for aeons, I don't think "a few years time" is going to make much difference...

I would not recommend Pattaya for anyone except single young men. Chiang Mai would have been a far better family destination... But then, I would say that :o