Siam Ocean World

Dont Panic

Just had a look at the Siam Ocean World website to see the pricing. I noticed above the pricing in English there was some Thai script followed by Thai numerals. I got a Thai friend to translate and as I suspected there was a different price…..the price written in English was double!

When it comes to double pricing I am generally not that happy about it…..but in this case I’m fuming.

What is their excuse for this policy!!?

I'm guessing the reason they put the Thai price in Thai scipt is so that no tourists would ever spot the different price......perhaps they feel that it's not justified!?

If it’s that Thai people can’t afford the higher ‘foreign’ price, I would say how many working class Thai’s go there? I bet you the kind of Thai family that you’ll see at Ocean World has a nice car, house, plus the essential nanny or two.

What’s your opinion?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just had a look at the Siam Ocean World website to see the pricing. I noticed above the pricing in English there was some Thai script followed by Thai numerals. I got a Thai friend to translate and as I suspected there was a different price…..the price written in English was double!

When it comes to double pricing I am generally not that happy about it…..but in this case I’m fuming.

I'm guessing the reason they put the Thai price in Thai scipt is so that no tourists would ever spot the different price......perhaps they feel that it's not justified!?

If it’s that Thai people can’t afford the higher ‘foreign’ price, I would say how many working class Thai’s go there? I bet you the kind of Thai family that you’ll see at Ocean World has a nice car, house, plus the essential nanny or two.

What’s your opinion?

If you don't like it, don't go. You aren't missing anything IMO anyways.

I can remember that back in the west going to golf courses that had one price for residents of the province and another fee for non-residents.

I am just glad I don't have to pay double for taxis, bts, and other things. Whoops - don't tell em I said that :o

I'd say that it is deceit. I have considered going there recently but after seeing this then there is no way that I will give them a single baht and no doubt the same goes for many others who are aware. Likely that is the reason for attempting to hide it.

And yes, agreed that this is appalling, I have also just shown my Thai wife and she is not too impressed either.

I'd say that it is deceit. I have considered going there recently but after seeing this then there is no way that I will give them a single baht and no doubt the same goes for many others who are aware. Likely that is the reason for attempting to hide it.

And yes, agreed that this is appalling, I have also just shown my Thai wife and she is not too impressed either.

You know if you go the Zoo its the same thing in Thai, two prices, but because its still very cheap, no one bothers to make a stink.

Wow - never thought i would hear myself defending Thai rip-offs, Ok I take it all back.

Are you talking about Siam Ocean World in Paragorn in Bangkok? Many had suspected they would use double pricing there but I never heard it confirmed. I had asked Thai friends before when it was opened and they always said they thought it was 400 baht for everyone because they didn't see any sign in Thai and said their friends told them they had aid 400 baht. Maybe double pricing started just recently?

I'm not defending it and I don't agree with it unless they can have a good explanation such as national parks who can claim Thais pay for it with taxes compared to tourists. Double pricing does go on all over the world, though. It happens in the U.S. In Montana residents get free or discounted into state parks compared to tourists coming in from outside the state and this is because they pay for it in taxes or in their license plate registration or something.

Are you talking about Siam Ocean World in Paragorn in Bangkok? Many had suspected they would use double pricing there but I never heard it confirmed. I had asked Thai friends before when it was opened and they always said they thought it was 400 baht for everyone because they didn't see any sign in Thai and said their friends told them they had aid 400 baht. Maybe double pricing started just recently?

when i was there, it was definately same price for all.. must be a new thing

found it be OK too.. very similar to 'The Deep' in Hull, UK

I have sent an email, asking the management their reasons for employing the policy.......will be interesting to see what their reply is....if anything at all. I doubt it will be the old...'if you don't like it go home.......'

Try a letter to Bangkok Post or Nation lettes section. Seems to work well in getting a good response from businesses in Bangkok : See TG's Buy 1 Get 2 Free promotion today as an example of a response that takes 5 minutes of reading to say nothing.

What’s your opinion?

Avoid going there at any means!

There are rumors that they took corals from National Park in Koh Lipe. The last of some very rare corals

The locals know that in one night they were not there anymore. They could track it till Phuket.

And they saw it there, but they were fast removed and replaced by plastic ones.

Don't give them any money.

Just had a quick look at the website and the prices are:

Thai Adult 560 Child 280

Everyone else Adult 860 Child 650

If you're all getting in for 400 baht at the door then why bother complaining? Its even cheaper than the price quoted on the site for a Thai!

If you are talking about the entrance fee the English language price includes "Big Bonus Package". The Thai language prices does not appear to include that.

I have no way to judge the value of this bonus package, from the advertisement, however.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a place that charged Thais and those of us with Thai ID the same price as foreign tourist with an extremely large carbon footprint on their karma.

Am I to understand you are a Thai with a Thai ID or a farang with a Thai ID? Why stop there, why not those of us that are on WP's or PR?

As far as extremely large carbon footprints, do you just mean Siam Ocean World or all shopping malls in general?

What’s your opinion?

Sharks in a Thai aquarium?

Why the suprise?

Pull the plug on the way out maybe or better still dont go there.

Roy gsd

Roy Gsd

Personally, I wouldn't go to a place that charged Thais and those of us with Thai ID the same price as foreign tourist with an extremely large carbon footprint on their karma.

Am I to understand you are a Thai with a Thai ID or a farang with a Thai ID? Why stop there, why not those of us that are on WP's or PR?

As far as extremely large carbon footprints, do you just mean Siam Ocean World or all shopping malls in general?

In re-reading my post it seems to infer the "extremely large carbon footprint on their karma" refers to the foreign tourist. It could creatively be taken in several ways. That's the beauty and poetry of prose! Enjoy!

So you walked to Los then?

roy gsd

roy gsd

By sailboat!

I´ve given up about this one. It just upsets me. If I sometime feel that I have the power to start to argue with the people that sells the tickets in national parks, waterfalls or similar, they always respond that it´s because the tourists don´t pay tax in Thailand. Then I respond that I´m not a tourist. Showing passport with immigrant visas, taxbook or houseregistration to no avail. As if thais in general pay any taxes. I believe that average thai people pay the same taxes as the tourists. VAT and that´s it. Also telling the staff that in Europe all tourists disregarding where they com from pay the same entrance fees. At this point the staff usually just smiles, silently cursing this irascible farang.

Also on a couple of occasions I´ve payed the higher farang fee. Been handed the ticket saying that I´ve payed the fee for Thai people with the entrance fee written with thai numbers. When complaining that they have handed me the wrong ticket they always says that they did it by mistake. Clearly they are trying to make some money on the side.

roy gsd

By sailboat!

With such an ample supply of hot air on board a least you were self sufficient :o

Roy gsd

There is a solution to turn your resentment into appreciation. Go back to your home country and demand that your employer give you the Thai daily wage of 150 baht/day! Demand fairness! or just let it go...

There is an alternative solution for sunrise to try, its called an enima, or just let it go............ :o

Roy gsd

There is a solution to turn your resentment into appreciation. Go back to your home country and demand that your employer give you the Thai daily wage of 150 baht/day! Demand fairness! or just let it go...

This remark is utterly irrelevant!

Price was misquoted

Thai Adult is 450

Thai Child 280

While double pricing is more widespread and shameless in Thailand it does exist in the USA. For example college tuition fees for residents, non residents and then international students. How is this different?

Ah, another double-pricing thread. This old chestnut crops up all the time here. If I encounter this, I usually show the cashier my Thai driving license and ask to pay the Thai price, as I pay tax here. If they still insist on the tourist admission price, I politely tell them to go stuff it up their @rse and walk away. The amount of money is not the important thing, but the principal is.

While double pricing is more widespread and shameless in Thailand it does exist in the USA. For example college tuition fees for residents, non residents and then international students. How is this different?

Lets see. In the US people pay taxes (State taxes and Federal Taxes). Universities are often funded by taxes. I guess they figure if you are from a state (lets say Iowa) you have paid Federal taxes and Iowa taxes...........so, logic says that people from out of the state (but US residents and paying US FEDERAL taxes) should pay more than the locals. They have paid some taxes. By the same token international students haven't paid any US taxes so they SHOULD pay higher tuition.

Not like here in LOS where I pay more in taxes than MOST Thais but I still have to pay higher entrance fees than the locals (except when my gf is with me and she reams then a 2nd A$$HOLE when they try to charge me double).

p.s. I am Canadian

... I usually show the cashier my Thai driving license and ask to pay the Thai price, as I pay tax here.
???

I think you have here a strange reasoning :o

Why should a Thai driving license prove that you pay tax here ??

Many guys here have the Thai DL but do not pay tax in Thailand...

By example those with a non-Imm B who often come here for business.