Siam Ocean World

Dont Panic

I bet 99.99% of all the wingers and moaners can't read thai script, and if they could read thai script they would not ever see the word ฝรั่ง written on a double pricing sign.

It constantly amazes me how TOURISTS to thailand (if you are not sure if you are a tourist check the stamp in your passport), expect the same rights as non-tourists.

When i go to disneyworld in orlando i dont complain that i dont get the Floridian resident price.

I'm not too sure what "ฝรั่ง" means.. it looks like some primative form of lettering to me.. relevance?

If I went to Disneyland I might not get the local Florida resident price, but I would get the American price. They wouldn't be charging me more just because I'm black and I come from Uganda.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst farang are often charged more than Thais, there are many things that work in our favour. I am let off by traffic police all the time, for example, especially with my little ones in the car. I can get discount that Thais wouldn't have the nerve to ask for, and better service in shops. Bank workers go out of their way to help me. I don't lose face very easily, which enables me to get away with a lot more than my Thai brothers and sisters.

People remember me which used to be a bad thing :o but now it is an advantage. Thai people are not all after money(anymore than foreigners) and the longer I live out of Bangkok/tourist areas, I realise this.

I hate to hear the farang saying, "they can't do this to me, do you know what would happen in United Farangland if they did this?". Quite simply, I have started a new life in a country, which will never accept me as one of them, even if I pass a degree in Thai, become a monk, or have Toxin's daughter as a "mia noi".

I have to chill out and adjust certain ideas and attitudes. I must remember that this is not my home country, and therefore has different ways of doing things. Christ, that is one of the reasons I love it here. I used to want them to keep doing the things I liked and stop doing the things I didn't like. What a shity attitude!

Realise what I can change and what I can't. Don't let the things that you can't get on top of you, they're not worth it. Once you have done this, weigh up the pros and cons of living in a new land and decide if it is for me or not. I have not been sentenced to live in Thailand, it is my choice.

Some things like double pricing are the Thai way an I sometimes think I should simply respect their decision - when I do this I usually see that they have a valid reason for doing something that thought 'racist' or unfair.

It's my fear of being take advantage of that I have to address. "can't have them Thais getting the better of ME, the almighty!

I know that if I want to become a Thai citizen I can, but when I weigh up all the pros and cons, I would rather keep my British passport.

And acceptance is the answer to all my 'problems' today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation—some fact of my life — unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. There is a great Thai saying, "arai ja gerd gaw hai mun gerd". Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in this world by mistake. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes. I have wasted years of life in Thailand moaning about things, now I want serenity and peace.

Siam Paragon is horrible place anyways

N :D N

"If I went to Disneyland I might not get the local Florida resident price, but I would get the American price. They wouldn't be charging me more just because I'm black and I come from Uganda. "

The subject of this thread is double-pricing and Disneyland Orlando has double-pricing. Either you're a Floridian, or you are not. In Thailand, you're either Thai, or you're not. It's pretty simple; we're not cracking atoms here.

I bet 99.99% of all the wingers and moaners can't read thai script, and if they could read thai script they would not ever see the word ฝรั่ง written on a double pricing sign.

It constantly amazes me how TOURISTS to thailand (if you are not sure if you are a tourist check the stamp in your passport), expect the same rights as non-tourists.

When i go to disneyworld in orlando i dont complain that i dont get the Floridian resident price.

I'm not too sure what "ฝรั่ง" means.. it looks like some primative form of lettering to me.. relevance?

If I went to Disneyland I might not get the local Florida resident price, but I would get the American price. They wouldn't be charging me more just because I'm black and I come from Uganda.

the relevance of the word you can't read (ฝรั่ง), the word i have never seen written on a pricing sign in thailand in 13 years here, is that the price discrimination is not between thai residents and "caucasians".... directed to all those who throw around the "racist" word.

there is no "american" price at disneyworld, hence my metaphor is robust.

the relevance of the word you can't read (ฝรั่ง), the word i have never seen written on a pricing sign in thailand in 13 years here, is that the price discrimination is not between thai residents and "caucasians".... directed to all those who throw around the "racist" word.

there is no "american" price at disneyworld, hence my metaphor is robust.

If there is one thing that turns me off more that double pricing it is the many apologists for this practice on TV - mostly it seems to me from one country. Clearly, they understand Thai culture much better than the rest of us and continually remind us that a small premium is of no consequence whatsoever to persons of means such as themselves. I wonder why the same posters generally seem opposed to progressive taxation and re-distributive social welfare programmes.

"If I went to Disneyland I might not get the local Florida resident price, but I would get the American price. They wouldn't be charging me more just because I'm black and I come from Uganda. "

The subject of this thread is double-pricing and Disneyland Orlando has double-pricing. Either you're a Floridian, or you are not. In Thailand, you're either Thai, or you're not. It's pretty simple; we're not cracking atoms here.

From: http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cadisneyl...ounttickets.htm

Disneyland Discount Tickets for California Residents

• Southern Californians: If you live in zip codes 90000-93599, Disney offers frequent special deals and discounts for online purchases along with special discounts on annual passes. If you have out-of-town visitors and own an annual pass, you may also be able to get Disneyland discount tickets for your visitors.
  • California Teachers: Members of ACSA, CTA, CRTA and First Financial Credit Union can get Disneyland discount tickets through TSA Special Services by phone or mail. They were offering excellent discounts on one-day tickets in late 2008, but their other offers were less impressive and you have to order far enough in advance to allow for mail delivery.
  • Southern California University Students: Some area universities offer discounted, one-park, one-day Disneyland discount tickets for their students. Check with your Student Union.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a place that charged Thais and those of us with Thai ID the same price as foreign tourist with an extremely large carbon footprint on their karma.

So you walked to Los then?

roy gsd

By sailboat!

Who's this idiot?

If it's about money then would they charge double to a rich Thai idustrialist?

No they wouldn't because he is Thai.

Racist policy...end of discussion.

Thanks for the heads up, I was going to take my son there. No way now.

<deleted> racist clumts

Being an OPPORTUNIST is not the same as being a "racist" or haven't you learned that in your lifetime?

Thai people didn't charged you more because they "HATE" you, they charged you more because of economic reason. It may not be right but it's being practice all over the world not just in Thailand.

Legacy Art Park (USA):

Resident fee: NONE

Non-Resident: $3.00/person

Family: $10.00

Common sense people common sense.

Legacy Art Park

A suggested donation of $3 per person or $10 per family.

The Michigan Legacy Art Park is a nonprofit 501© 3 organization.

This organization has absolutely no paralels whatsoever the topic.

People live in this Art Park...they are the residents....residents don't have to pay to go where they live!!

Common sense?

I think you could use a healthy dose.

proves my point.. Now quit whining. Thai people are the resident in this case. GET IT? Again, it's common sense

At least you finally understand the different between a "RACIST & OPPORTUNIST" :o

I am a resident of MY country too...and we don't charge people more based on the colour of their skin, where they come from, their sex and their religion.

If it is an economical issue as you put it, and I'm assuming you men foreigners are richer than the local population... right?

Well how come they don't charge rich Thai's the same price as they charge foreigners?

Opportunistic my ass...that's just a racist's excuse to exploit others.

So you still didn't GET IT!. Like I explained to you on my last posts, they charged you more because you are considered to be a visitor, a guess, a "non-thai" to the country and because they feel you can afford it. It's not because the color of your skin, religion or sex as YOU CLAIMED. If they were going to charge based on "RELIGION & SEX" as you claimed, than Thai south (dark skin, islam) would be charged more than the Thai Chinese wouldn't they? and Thai ladies would be also charged double, and so will everyone who do not believe in the lord buddha? GARABGE!

Not everything is about race, religion, or gender so stop trying to make this into one. IT'S ECONOMICS and being OPPORTUNISTIC when given the chance.

Most Uni in the US charged double tuition rate for a non-state resident , does that make them racist? Based on your assumption, it does...GARBAGE!

get it now? IT'S ECONOMICS 101. It's not very difficult to understand :D

Edited by Misplaced

:o Anyhow...

I'm thinking of going to Ocean World in a couple of hours because my litle boy is so excited about seeing a shark he's nearly wetting himself :D

Anybody been there recently and actually been charged the full B850? I checked on the website and there's no mention of this 'big bonus'...

From: http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cadisneyl...ounttickets.htm

Disneyland Discount Tickets for California Residents

• Southern Californians: If you live in zip codes 90000-93599, Disney offers frequent special deals and discounts for online purchases along with special discounts on annual passes. If you have out-of-town visitors and own an annual pass, you may also be able to get Disneyland discount tickets for your visitors.
  • California Teachers: Members of ACSA, CTA, CRTA and First Financial Credit Union can get Disneyland discount tickets through TSA Special Services by phone or mail. They were offering excellent discounts on one-day tickets in late 2008, but their other offers were less impressive and you have to order far enough in advance to allow for mail delivery.
  • Southern California University Students: Some area universities offer discounted, one-park, one-day Disneyland discount tickets for their students. Check with your Student Union.

if he's a black ugandan, but lives in the zip coded areas of 90000-93599, he teaches and carries the above memberships, or is a southern californian university student, then he still gets a discount.

in thailand he just wouldn't get the same price or a discount simply because he doesn't look thai. two very different forms of discrimination there. please don't confuse them.

From SOW's updated website - Entry Fees for Thais have now been reduced.

Thai Adults: 350 Baht vs 850 for foreign adults

Thai Kids: 250 Baht vs 650 for foreign kids

Foreign tourists are now expected pay 150% more.

Whether you agree with the two-teir price system or not, It's only fair that you have the right to know (who is charged what)

post-24560-1226650302_thumb.png

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Entry Fees for Thais have now been reduced.

Whether you agree with the two-teir price system or not, It's only fair that you have the right to know (who is charged what)

Still don't see on that sign the Foreign Tourist pricing you speak of.

Why can't they just say ; Thai Nationals xxx Baht, Others XXX Baht?

Personally, I wouldn't go to a place that charged Thais and those of us with Thai ID the same price as foreign tourist with an extremely large carbon footprint on their karma.

roy gsd

By sailboat!

Who's this idiot?

<deleted> racist clumts

Being an OPPORTUNIST is not the same as being a "racist" or haven't you learned that in your lifetime?

Thai people didn't charged you more because they "HATE" you, they charged you more because of economic reason. It may not be right but it's being practice all over the world not just in Thailand.

Legacy Art Park (USA):

Legacy Art Park

People live in this Art Park...they are the residents....residents don't have to pay to go where they live!!

Common sense?

proves my point.. Now quit whining. Thai people are the resident in this case. GET IT? Again, it's common sense

At least you finally understand the different between a "RACIST & OPPORTUNIST" :o

I am a resident of MY country too...and we don't charge people more based on the colour of their skin, where they come from, their sex and their religion.

....GET IT?

If it is an economical issue as you put it, and I'm assuming you men foreigners are richer than the local population... right?

Well how come they don't charge rich Thai's the same price as they charge foreigners?

i would take a look at your country's education policies. i am sure foreign students pay a premium.

From SOW's updated website - Entry Fees for Thais have now been reduced.

i suggest you pay more attention in your thai reading and writing classes, because your translations are incaccurate.... there is no mention of thai nationality or foreigner at all.

I had to leave home before I got any of these replies, but just for your info, I got to the counter at Ocean World with my Thai partner and our son, the guy at the counter asked if I lived here, I said yes and I told him I live with my partner and our son and he charged us B950 in total - B350 for me, B350 for my Thai partner & B250 for our son!

I have to say, for the first time in 7 years, I'm genuinely impressed with the cashiers judgement in charging me this price, it just shows that they're not all robots :o

Good luck to any of you in the future.

p.s. IMO it wasn't that good anyway, I felt it was just about worth the B350 I was charged, any more and I'd be upset :D

roy gsd

By sailboat!

Who's this idiot?

<deleted> racist clumts

Legacy Art Park (USA):

Legacy Art Park

Common sense?

....GET IT?

i would take a look at your country's education policies. i am sure foreign students pay a premium.

i don't get this comparison between higher education fees in first world countries and the terrible price discrimination here in thailand.

first, when a student decides to study in a country overseas they are choosing to pay the higher fees. they choose to study at these institutions, and are discriminated against because they are not locals. they are not discriminated based on their race, appearance or the languages they speak.

secondly, governments subsidise local students, and provide scholarships and other forms of financial assistance to residents/citizens because those people pay taxes which contribute to these benefits.

there is no sense in charging farangs more just because they are perceived to have more money. i can understand why some would call this racism. if this happened in australia, the us, japan i would be inclined to call it racism.

Clearly Thailand is not the only country doing this kind of thing, but my impression is that the legal knot is tightening in many Western countries. In the EU, Article 12 of the Treaty prohibits price discrimination according to nationality. The European Court of Justice has confirmed this in its decision in case C-388/01 concerning the discriminatory tariffs applied to tourists by museums. There still seem to be some grey areas concerning discounts for residents and it will be interesting to see whether our home countries start drawing a clearer line. Here is an interesting view.

http://www.cipfa.org.uk/publicfinance/feat...m?News_id=18236

A couple of other recent news stories are here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelne...ricing-fix.html

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/tourism-b..._10082/catid_23

I'm amazed this thread has gone on so long- and it really should be in the Bangkok forum (moving now).

I empathise with those upset over double-pricing, but it seems as though some of the staff there are sensible. I've been a couple of times, but as part of school groups and so never paid a baht.

they charged you more because you are considered to be a visitor, a guess, a "non-thai" to the country and because they feel you can afford it.

get it now? IT'S ECONOMICS 101. It's not very difficult to understand :o

But they consider you to be a visitor on the basis of race unless you prove otherwise. We don't like the racist application of ECONOMICS 101, you see, in all the dual-pricing schemes. A Malaysian, Filipino, or Indonesian who kept quiet would be charged the Thai price. Of course a Caucasian could sometimes bring out a Thai driver's licence, but might even know to do that if he didn't read Thai. Nor does that always work. Certainly a baht-bus driver in PTY wouldn't care about any Thai license.

When ever there has been a Dual pricing scheme in place (anywhere in Thailand), simply showing the cashier my Thai Drivers license is enough to get the Thai price. This has never failed for me.

I have always said i will never pay a farang price for visiting a attraction, should the Drivers license thing not work, i would just turn around and leave.

i didn´t read through all the answers, so pls excuse me if i am writing something thats already there - but the big bonus package has, if i remember correctly, this glass boat thing included (it´s an absolute waste of money, though).

for those of you who are going there more often: the yearly membership is really worth the money, last time it was around 2000 baht minus some discount & lots of vouchers for the 4-d-cinema.

and yes, i do not like the double pricing, wherever it is.

When ever there has been a Dual pricing scheme in place (anywhere in Thailand), simply showing the cashier my Thai Drivers license is enough to get the Thai price. This has never failed for me.

Try the National Historical Park at Ayuthaya. Tried driver's license, work permit, etc. Still too white. :o

I'm guessing the reason they put the Thai price in Thai scipt is so that no tourists would ever spot the different price......perhaps they feel that it's not justified!?

I'd say that it is deceit. I have considered going there recently but after seeing this then there is no way that I will give them a single baht and no doubt the same goes for many others who are aware. Likely that is the reason for attempting to hide it.

And yes, agreed that this is appalling, I have also just shown my Thai wife and she is not too impressed either.

You know if you go the Zoo its the same thing in Thai, two prices, but because its still very cheap, no one bothers to make a stink.

Wow - never thought i would hear myself defending Thai rip-offs, Ok I take it all back.

I went to Vimanmek Mansion (near Dusit Zoo) about 4 years ago and there was a three-tier system in operation. Farang, Thai and Laotians. Descending price in that order, but guys and gals from Laos had to show ID or passport. A lot of farang here are poor, Thais poorer and Laotians poorest I guess.

I'm amazed this thread has gone on so long- and it really should be in the Bangkok forum (moving now).

I empathise with those upset over double-pricing, but it seems as though some of the staff there are sensible. I've been a couple of times, but as part of school groups and so never paid a baht.

Very helpful, perhaps if it's not too much to ask, can you send out a notice to all members the next time your class is going so we can all join in :o

I went there with my friend last month, we paid 800Baht for one person ( or 850 baht , I don't remember it now).. I think that's just the ticket for entry. no bonus . because We only took around 20 mins to go around and finished visiting. then I said to my friend :" Can I go inside again ? " he goes...You are already in the exsit now. owow..I thought I can see a lot inside as the ticket is expensive one . well..it is a short time visit. at least i saw the sharks.or feeding them.

there is another time. I went to a animal zoo with my friend. He is foreigner, oh...I should say I'm foreigner too. But they only charge me for 50 baht. and charge him 100 baht. hehe..They think I'm Thai ! the people are nice there..I told them I'm not Thai. but they still charge me half price..hehe..

Hope I can visit Thailand again soon !

In many countries there are policies to charge residents and non-residents different prices, so in Thailand it's the same thing. By the way, for foreigners living in Thailand (expats) they have a very significant discount, I think it was something like 350Baht, that's what I paid and it is worth going, it's a very nice aquarium.

I went there with my friend last month, we paid 800Baht for one person ( or 850 baht , I don't remember it now).. I think that's just the ticket for entry. no bonus . because We only took around 20 mins to go around and finished visiting. then I said to my friend :" Can I go inside again ? " he goes...You are already in the exsit now. owow..I thought I can see a lot inside as the ticket is expensive one . well..it is a short time visit. at least i saw the sharks.or feeding them.

there is another time. I went to a animal zoo with my friend. He is foreigner, oh...I should say I'm foreigner too. But they only charge me for 50 baht. and charge him 100 baht. hehe..They think I'm Thai ! the people are nice there..I told them I'm not Thai. but they still charge me half price..hehe..

Hope I can visit Thailand again soon !

my wife is a born and raised New Zealander, but with thai ethnicity and poor thai language skills....so she looks the part, but just keeps her mouth shut :o

• 7 months later...
The corporation has a differential pricing policy only in Thailand because Thai law allows it

I have confirmed the legalities of over-charging foreigners. It is illegal. Foreigners, in getting a fair equal deal, are protected by the constitution. Unbelievable!

In researching another matter I found the answer to the above and thought I would share it. In fact the section of the Thai Constitution that deals with individual rights and anti-discrimination (Chapter III) only applies to the rights of Thai people.

http://www.senate.go.th/pdf/constitution.htm

While double pricing is more widespread and shameless in Thailand it does exist in the USA. For example college tuition fees for residents, non residents and then international students. How is this different?

Lets see. In the US people pay taxes (State taxes and Federal Taxes). Universities are often funded by taxes. I guess they figure if you are from a state (lets say Iowa) you have paid Federal taxes and Iowa taxes...........so, logic says that people from out of the state (but US residents and paying US FEDERAL taxes) should pay more than the locals. They have paid some taxes. By the same token international students haven't paid any US taxes so they SHOULD pay higher tuition.

Not like here in LOS where I pay more in taxes than MOST Thais but I still have to pay higher entrance fees than the locals (except when my gf is with me and she reams then a 2nd A$HOLE when they try to charge me double).

p.s. I am Canadian

it's not exactly like that. i studied in a US institution as an international student. it really depends on what type of university you go to.

public university: all students from in state pay low fees, out of state and international students pay the same amount (often double to 2.5 times the amount of in state).

private university: everyone pays the same fees, regardless of which state/country you're from.

the reason? public universities receive grants from the government of that state for education, so in state students pay less because they pay taxes, and also it's kind of a way for the government to aid you in getting an education since you pay taxes, etc. the government only assists in state students in public universities, that's why if you go to a public university, you will BARELY get a scholarship as an international student. you might, but it might just be like 1-2% of the total fee.

private universities fund themselves or usually are funded by rich alumni and board directors, so therefore everyone is required to pay the same amount, and in return, if you have good scores you get a hefty scholarship.

Edited by akarmaka