Siam Ocean World

Dont Panic

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Foreign residents with non-immigrant and immigrant(PR) visas with proper permit extensions , work permit holders/tax payers, naturalized citizens..should be able to get the local price (there will be from time to time idiot cashiers that you have to deal with, but in my experience this is infrequent)

But TOURISTS (those with tourists visas or visa waiver entries) , I have no problem with them being charged the TOURIST price.

Many people have the knne jerk reaction that this policy is racism. It is not. This policy is tourism.

Just had a look at the Siam Ocean World website to see the pricing. I noticed above the pricing in English there was some Thai script followed by Thai numerals. I got a Thai friend to translate and as I suspected there was a different price…..the price written in English was double!

When it comes to double pricing I am generally not that happy about it…..but in this case I'm fuming.

What is their excuse for this policy!!?

I'm guessing the reason they put the Thai price in Thai scipt is so that no tourists would ever spot the different price......perhaps they feel that it's not justified!?

If it's that Thai people can't afford the higher 'foreign' price, I would say how many working class Thai's go there? I bet you the kind of Thai family that you'll see at Ocean World has a nice car, house, plus the essential nanny or two.

What's your opinion?

Thia is pretty much the norm all over Thailand -

Frang price

Thai National price

hel_l just look at the green fees for golf, here in Palm Hills, Thai's get many special pricing benifits, where us supposed "all millionaire" Frangs pay top dollar.

This is all BS if you ask me, but then again no one is, so I'm just voicing my thoughts.

hmm i went there during high season

the sign said around 800 baht for me

and 350 baht for my thai gf

They are pretty open about the double pricing, the retarded cashier had just enough english to explain that to me

Do you call someone retarded because they don't speak your language. You are in Thailand.

Perhap ask your thai gf

Thia is pretty much the norm all over Thailand -

Frang price

Thai National price

It would be more accurate to say Foreign tourist price vs Thai national and resident price (ie: there are many farang/caucasian who are nationals and residents). Foreign tourists not only includes farang/caucasian tourists, but also chinese, japanese, korean,arab,indian,african,hispanic,polynesian tourists etc.... etc...

I would suggest that all entertainment venues that have double pricing win some but lose more.

Private operators cannot use the "paid more tax" excuse, but government sponsored places (historical and national parks) do. In my part of Isaan very few people pay income tax, and just VAT on their limited food and petrol purchases. The average farang, resident or tourist, pays far more in indirect tax.

Perhaps now with the falling number of tourists due to high oil prices, and the economic problems in general, the government and private operators will review this disgraceful policy, and perhaps use a new slogan "One Price for ALL" in their next advertising literature. At the moment it certainly is "Amazing" that the current double pricing policy is permitted.

Some contributors have suggested a boycott of double pricing venues. Why not, but for residents it means that our children do not get to see what their school friends can.

As non-tourists we can show driving licences, resident permits, tax certificates etc to the ticket sellers, and after much negotiation we generally (but not always) enter at the Thai price. But any form of confrontation is disliked by the Thai people, and our negotiating a cheaper entry causes much embarrassment to our Thai wives, girlfriends, mothers in law etc. Not a pleasant way to start what should be a happy family day out.

Maybe we should collectively write to Ocean World and other double pricing businesses. Set a time each day for 1 week and clog up their web sites with our justifiable complaints. Probably won't achieve anything, but will cause them annoyance just as they do to us.

The Ocean World pricing website is rather funny.

http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th/visitor_in...ation/price.htm

The thai script section :

ผู้ใหญ่ (puu yai = adult) ๔๕๐ บาท (450 baht)

The english language section :

BIG BONUS PACKAGE

Adult 850 Baht

Website does not mention anything about thai vs foreigner...so I pissed mysef about he BIG BONUS thing.I wonder who the genius promoter who came up with this beauty is...hahahaha.

Someone should email them and heckle their stupidity.

BIG BONUS PACKAGE

Adult 850 Baht

Website does not mention anything about thai vs foreigner...so I pissed mysef about he BIG BONUS thing.I wonder who the genius promoter who came up with this beauty is...hahahaha.

:o I wonder if that come with a free meal and a guide.

That mess up thou because Thai has their own number which most farang cant' read. :D

BIG BONUS PACKAGE

Adult 850 Baht

That mess up thou because Thai has their own number which most farang cant' read. :D

a slight aside..the numerals only take a few hours to learn to read...you only need to remember 9 symbols (0 = ๐ so that one is easy) :D

As non-tourists we can show driving licences, resident permits, tax certificates etc to the ticket sellers, and after much negotiation we generally (but not always) enter at the Thai price. But any form of confrontation is disliked by the Thai people, and our negotiating a cheaper entry causes much embarrassment to our Thai wives, girlfriends, mothers in law etc. Not a pleasant way to start what should be a happy family day out.

I've had a different experience when visiting the parks in Thailand. The Thais I toured with made a game out of getting the farang in the group in on a Thai rate. Instigated by the Thais btw. At that time everything was new to me so I had to be told about the farang rate.

At some places (I no longer remember how many), much laugher on both sides was made of the ticket chaps coming to our car to ask if we could speak Thai. A Sawadii kha / krap (the only Thai I knew at the time) and we were all on our way. As Thais. At others, it was mai bin rai. But it was all in lighthearted fun.

Last week I went to the Yusuksuwan Museum (very well done btw, if you get a chance, it's worth the drive from Bangkok). As usual, there was a price in English and a price in Thai. I can now read Thai numbers so I laughed, joked with the girl about it, took a photo, then paid farang price.

Why? Because I've lived here over 3 years and feel that the realities of my income and lifestyle compared to what the majority of the Thais live with does come into it. I also know of the previously mentioned double tiered system in the west, so, what's the different here?

Being lied to of course does not go down well with me in any country. And no, I have not perfected a joking stance when I discover that I have been lied to (especially over a pittance such double pricing a ticket). I guess it's going to take me more than three years to settle into Thailand.

BIG BONUS PACKAGE

Adult 850 Baht

I have been twice. Both prices are displayed, one in English, one in Thai. Both times I have shown my (Thai) work ID card and got the Thai price with no problems.

There are some differences between the promotions - the higher "package" price has some extra's - can't remember off hand, but one thing i think I recall was a large coke -there may have been some promo material as well.

Ripleys was mentioned, again, thai prices are in thai script - and again no problems getting that price on display of work ID (and, I suppose display of the fact that I recognized the two price structure?). Dreamworld rangsit - same deal.

Only place I have been that absolutely will NOT give the local rate is the Rose garden -and I nearly got into a fight there as they also charged my Thai companions the tourist rate!! - I would have walked away, but as one the the group was a 6 year old excited to go see the place so I was in a bind. But will never go back there again.

siam ocean world has operated double pricing since the first day it opened.

however, if you have a thai driving licence they will let you in for thai price.

Which breakfast cereal am i most likely to find one of these documents?

I think you get it with your morning Kao Tom.

same thing going on here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Price-Gaugin...st-t199948.html

As a consumer you are entitled to have the information regarding any purchase, if you choose not to support these businesses then the message will be clear ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Just because you are in Thailand doesn't give you the right to defend poor business pracitise 'cause you wanna suck up to the Thai's, they don't need your charity, they just need your money!

Got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Oz

Just had a look at the Siam Ocean World website to see the pricing. I noticed above the pricing in English there was some Thai script followed by Thai numerals...the price written in English was double!

What's your opinion?

It's a private business. They can price however they want and people are free to patronize or not. Simple really :o

800 baht is about the same admission as the Atlanta Georgia Aquarium charges, which happens to be the biggest and many say the best in the world. I like the Monterey California aquarium the best set directly on the stunning Monterey Bay with real life wild sea mammals playing in front of you, again a world class aquarium which also charges about 800 baht. 800 baht for that Siam thingie is an insult. I would never pay it. I can just imagine their "reasoning". Well, farangs are used to paying this amount in the west. Yes, for top class aquariums. Not for small aquariums in shopping mall basements. Geez!

Edited by Jingthing

BIG BONUS PACKAGE

Adult 850 Baht

Lumpini Boxing Stadium does (or used to do) the same thing. I haven't been in a few years now but they used to have a sign in Thai script that announced admission at 00(200 baht) but charged foreigners 2 or 3 times that. No exceptions. I was last at Siam Ocean World in November of 2007. They clearly stated the double pricing scheme but as other posters have mentioned, they said that if I had proof that I lived in Thailand (drivers license, work permit, long term visa etc.) that I would get the local price. Since I don't have a Thai drivers license and I don't usually carry my passport around with me I just paid the 850 fee even though it put me in a foul mood the entire time I was in the aquarium. The Chiang Mai Zoo also has double pricing but the guide I was with (we took one of those chauffeured golf cars) suggested that since I speak Thai well I should ask them for the local price. I did and they gave it to me. The historical sites in Sukhotai also charge more for foreigners than locals but since this is a nation park maintained with Thai tax money (I assume), I didn't feel it was so unfair to charge me more. As others have already said, it's the private businesses and organizations that double price that p#ss me off not the tax supported ones.

ocean world at paragon has so many other moral iisues against it i can imagine why anyone would even be concerned with the pricing. is the tragic seal dead yet?

ocean world at paragon has so many other moral iisues against it i can imagine why anyone would even be concerned with the pricing. is the tragic seal dead yet?

wasn't ocean world engineered(the aquarium, not the paragon superstructure) and managed by non-thais ? maybe they are trying to recoup the huge consultancy fees :o

Foreign residents with non-immigrant and immigrant(PR) visas with proper permit extensions , work permit holders/tax payers, naturalized citizens..should be able to get the local price (there will be from time to time idiot cashiers that you have to deal with, but in my experience this is infrequent)

But TOURISTS (those with tourists visas or visa waiver entries) , I have no problem with them being charged the TOURIST price.

Many people have the knne jerk reaction that this policy is racism. It is not. This policy is tourism.

what's the point of paying taxes when the goverment only gives us farangs, cheap broken down streets with that money?

If you're so mad that others dont pay taxes in any country whatsoever, just do it yourself isntead of giving money to the thai elite.

what's the point of paying taxes when the goverment only gives us farangs, cheap broken down streets with that money?

If you're so mad that others dont pay taxes in any country whatsoever, just do it yourself isntead of giving money to the thai elite.

I pay taxes in thailand because I have a work permit and I need my tax receipts for my permit extensions.

wasn't ocean world engineered(the aquarium, not the paragon superstructure) and managed by non-thais ? maybe they are trying to recoup the huge consultancy fees :o

actually, the pricing IS double for both thais and farangs. ive never noticed double, as in different pricing, tho. its doubled because when they opened the place the morons put the fish in the water immediately instead of waiting for the water to become similar to a natural environment through chemicals, etc.. as a result all the fish died and they lost an obscene amount of money. hence the double pricing from the get go.

the owner of paragon (also the owner of the emporium and the mall in korat among other things) has nothing to do with siam ocean world.

Edited by samsara