Cheap Flights To Europe

THAIPHUKET

http://www.FlightsFromThailand.NET

Found this site by chance. Inquired for business fare Bkk - Frankfurt in August. High season for Europe.

They offered 39.400 on Srilanka Airways, stop over in Colombo.

That is cheaper than economy class on other airlines.

The fleet is Airbus only.

I would have tried it but the dates dont work.

http://www.FlightsFromThailand.NET

did not come back with other offers which probably means they work for Srilanka Air only.

Reviews are ok, you get what you pay for. For me the overriding criteria is more space not food nor booth.

If anyone can give a hint how to find a good business class deal. My eyes are cross and wall eyed from searching the net.

• 2 weeks later...

I did it and its a nice airline.

BUT...schedule to Paris was awful. Had a 5-hour stopover from midnight to 5am in Colombo airport, world's most boring. Lots of benches but when you laid down a bozo in a uniform hassles you and barks, "No sleeping!" My mistake, I didn't realize sleeping was hazardous to others.

BUT...schedule to Paris was awful. Had a 5-hour stopover from midnight to 5am in Colombo airport, world's most boring. Lots of benches but when you laid down a bozo in a uniform hassles you and barks, "No sleeping!" My mistake, I didn't realize sleeping was hazardous to others.

I have experienced a long stopover ( 8 hours plus??) twice at Colombo and decided to go for the free hotel room offered. But by the time you queue to get through immigration, customs and then wait for the hotel minibus to arrive to drive you to your hotel you start to feel like s**t. Then you can get 2 or 3 hours sleep if you are lucky in a mosquito ridden resort hotel before you have to get up and wait for the hotel bus, get driven around lots of other hotels picking up passengers, queue to go through security checks, immigration again etc.

The only good things were the tasty, spicy Sri Lankan dishes and trying the local beers.

Never again.

Oh and did I mention the 'bed bugs" in the business class lounge armchairs.

Qatar Airways have an offer at the moment. If you travel before 30th Sept, Economy return ticket BKK to LHR is 20,800 baht + taxes and fuel surcharges. I paid 31,150 baht total.

I have flown with them before and had no problems, in fact they were pretty good they have a stopover in Doha, 2hrs going, 1hr coming back. They fly Airbus A330-200.

I booked my two tickets yesterday.

Qatar Airways have an offer at the moment. If you travel before 30th Sept, Economy return ticket BKK to LHR is 20,800 baht + taxes and fuel surcharges. I paid 31,150 baht total.

I have flown with them before and had no problems, in fact they were pretty good they have a stopover in Doha, 2hrs going, 1hr coming back. They fly Airbus A330-200.

did you book on line with Qatar Airways or through a travel agent

please give details

I have experienced a long stopover ( 8 hours plus??) twice at Colombo and decided to go for the free hotel room offered. But by the time you queue to get through immigration, customs and then wait for the hotel minibus to arrive to drive you to your hotel you start to feel like s**t. Then you can get 2 or 3 hours sleep if you are lucky in a mosquito ridden resort hotel before you have to get up and wait for the hotel bus, get driven around lots of other hotels picking up passengers, queue to go through security checks, immigration again etc.

The only good things were the tasty, spicy Sri Lankan dishes and trying the local beers.

Never again.

I'm doing that soon - can't wait after that description! My layover's about 20 hours, so maybe a little better than yours.

Do they take you to a hotel in the city, or are they located near the airport? As I've a reasonable length of time, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Colombo.

Do you actually have to do anything to get the hotel? I booked online, and it says something vague about it being available for longer layovers, but isn't guaranteed. I'm assuming it's a fairly routine operation?

did you book on line with Qatar Airways or through a travel agent

please give details

I went through a travel agent, Ticket Factory, Omni Tower, Suk Soi 4, BKK, 02-6569518, ask for Warinda.

I got a similar price although slightly higher from JP Travel, also in Soi 4.

I'd say they're a fine airline, though Colombo airport is not a very fine airport.

The stopover hotel is a large resort-like place maybe 10 minutes from the airport, and somewhat far from the city, though you can take a cab in for a visit at your own expense. No mosquitos that I remember.

I'd say they're a fine airline, though Colombo airport is not a very fine airport.

The stopover hotel is a large resort-like place maybe 10 minutes from the airport, and somewhat far from the city, though you can take a cab in for a visit at your own expense. No mosquitos that I remember.

Thanks. How much is a taxi into the city, and what's the nightlife there like? Is it actually worth the effort?

Never again.

I'm doing that soon - can't wait after that description! My layover's about 20 hours, so maybe a little better than yours.

Do they take you to a hotel in the city, or are they located near the airport? As I've a reasonable length of time, I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of Colombo.

Do you actually have to do anything to get the hotel? I booked online, and it says something vague about it being available for longer layovers, but isn't guaranteed. I'm assuming it's a fairly routine operation?

The last time (6 months ago) the hotel was on the beach about 25 mins from airport. Everything is arranged for you, you just have to wait and wait for things to happen. I believe Colombo is a spread-out city, so do not expect a hotel in the centre. All meals are included but obviously a bit of local spending money comes in useful.

If you book on-line probably best if you phone the local Sri Lankan office to confirm that you have a hotel reserved.

Thanks. How much is a taxi into the city, and what's the nightlife there like? Is it actually worth the effort?

Travelling anywhere takes a long time in Sri Lanka.I would give Colombo a miss,particularly in the current climate of increased fighting.

Negombo just up the coast is a better alternative.