Iphone 3g

Just upgraded to 2.2fw ever since the cellular signal has gone haywire any1 else having this prob?

No problem here, but I have a factory unlocked phone from Hong Kong. 2.2 apparently breaks the "unofficially unlocked phones. Could that be your case?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just upgraded to 2.2fw ever since the cellular signal has gone haywire any1 else having this prob?

No problem here, but I have a factory unlocked phone from Hong Kong. 2.2 apparently breaks the "unofficially unlocked phones. Could that be your case?

Mine is factory unlock HK model only jailbroken

Signal is weak even in my 6th story condo or mayb the problem is with the True network?

Signal is weak even in my 6th story condo or mayb the problem is with the True network?

I guess it could be. I have a jailbroken HKG unlocked phone using AIS, and I haven't had any problems since upgrading (and then jailbreaking) to v. 2.2. I guess you could try someone's AIS SIM to see if you still have the problem. If so, it's under warranty if you can get it to HKG. I have a friend there who was having a problem with long logins to his service there when he switched the phone on and the Apple Store replaced it in five minutes with no questions asked. The new phone works fine. Of course you know you would do a full default restore before taking it in for an exchange at an Apple Store, since if they see jailbreaking, they will claim the warranty is void. If you get a new one, you can of course just jailbreak it again.

Edited by bubba

Yah its true. We have 2 cell phones here in our condo using True(can't get a signal in most of the rooms), with our DTAC and AIS phones we rarely have a problem picking up a signal.

Yah its true. We have 2 cell phones here in our condo using True(can't get a signal in most of the rooms), with our DTAC and AIS phones we rarely have a problem picking up a signal.

....and it's True that will be soon offering the iPhone in Thailand.

....and it's True that will be soon offering the iPhone in Thailand.

If its cheap then it should be ok...then u can just unlock it and use AIS when the dev team releases the unlock in afew days... lol

Hi

What about sim card? can you put it in and see contact now? also the 3G there is coming, can you put all apps on it you want or do you still have to jailbreak it?

but for the moment i still like my Omnia a lot, better than the first Iphone i had.

Hi

What about sim card? can you put it in and see contact now? also the 3G there is coming, can you put all apps on it you want or do you still have to jailbreak it?

but for the moment i still like my Omnia a lot, better than the first Iphone i had.

the official released iphone by True u dont have to jailbreak it to put in the apps just buy them off itunes or just get the free apps.

this should help u understand more.

Jailbreak - jailbreaking is a process that allows root access to your device. The process itself is extremely easy and can be performed in a couple of different ways. Once the process is complete, two additional icons will appear on the iPhone's home screen: Installer and Cydia. These are the applications that install all others, and gives you access to everything the jailbreaking community has to offer.

Unlocking - Unlocking is an entirely different process from jailbreaking, however it does require that your iPhone is jailbroken. The result of unlocking is allowing your iPhone to operate on a carrier other than the one it is locked to. In the U.S., the iPhone is locked to AT&T. If you unlocked the iPhone in the U.S, you would most likely choose to have it operate with T-Mobile.

Hi

Not sure what you mean here about the SIM card and "put it in and see contact". If you mean put any SIM card into your iPhone and have it work as a phone (unlocked), I doubt True's will be unlocked. You can but a factory unlocked iPhone 3G in Hong Kong for about 23K baht, and it will work with any SIM card, and it doesn't have to be jailbroken.

Just a few completely biased comments regarding the Samsung Omnia. It's probably one of the better iPhone copy-cats (another in a long line of so-called "iPhone killers). I had a chance to play with one for an hour or so last weekend. It has nowhere near the quality feel of construction of the iPhone, but that's just cosmetics and personal preference. The real difference is the interface. While iPhone was built from the ground up as a touch based interface, Omni is patched together from Windows Mobile. It comes with a stylus, and it's obviously meant to be used with one. I found the controls very cumbersome and it sometimes took three goes just to close a window. I don't have time for that, and I don't want to be fiddling around with a stylus. And then there is the WinMo OS. Much, much more complicated and non-intuitive compared to iPhone. Everything is menu driven, sort of like Windows, and that requires even more actions to get anything done. As well, I found it painfully slow when opening and closing applications. The Omnia supposedly has some superior technical features, such as a better camera, but it also has a smaller display than the iPhone. Although I have much more experience using an iPhone, the OS operability, speed and ease of use of the Omnia lags far behind.

And you know? There is just something that gnaws at me when I think of spending something like 25K baht on a phone that is so obviously a copy of something else. Just have look at the Omni, and you'll see what I mean. Samsung designed something that in form looks almost identical to an iPhone, right down to the placement and shape of the ear speaker and the angle of the curves.

Hi

Not sure what you mean here about the SIM card and "put it in and see contact". If you mean put any SIM card into your iPhone and have it work as a phone (unlocked), I doubt True's will be unlocked. You can but a factory unlocked iPhone 3G in Hong Kong for about 23K baht, and it will work with any SIM card, and it doesn't have to be jailbroken.

Just a few completely biased comments regarding the Samsung Omnia. It's probably one of the better iPhone copy-cats (another in a long line of so-called "iPhone killers). I had a chance to play with one for an hour or so last weekend. It has nowhere near the quality feel of construction of the iPhone, but that's just cosmetics and personal preference. The real difference is the interface. While iPhone was built from the ground up as a touch based interface, Omni is patched together from Windows Mobile. It comes with a stylus, and it's obviously meant to be used with one. I found the controls very cumbersome and it sometimes took three goes just to close a window. I don't have time for that, and I don't want to be fiddling around with a stylus. And then there is the WinMo OS. Much, much more complicated and non-intuitive compared to iPhone. Everything is menu driven, sort of like Windows, and that requires even more actions to get anything done. As well, I found it painfully slow when opening and closing applications. The Omnia supposedly has some superior technical features, such as a better camera, but it also has a smaller display than the iPhone. Although I have much more experience using an iPhone, the OS operability, speed and ease of use of the Omnia lags far behind.

And you know? There is just something that gnaws at me when I think of spending something like 25K baht on a phone that is so obviously a copy of something else. Just have look at the Omni, and you'll see what I mean. Samsung designed something that in form looks almost identical to an iPhone, right down to the placement and shape of the ear speaker and the angle of the curves.

HI

You are right about most of this, the touch screen on Omnia is not as good as Iphone, my first iphone i could not put my sim card in and read contact, also i really need word as my company send a lot in Word (microsoft) but there must be a viwer you can use now??

My friend bought the 3g Hong Kong model here in Phuket for 30.000.

I wonder what True will charge for one.

I still like my Omnia, i think it is better than the first Iphone. But the new one, not sure which one is best

Hi

HI

You are right about most of this, the touch screen on Omnia is not as good as Iphone, my first iphone i could not put my sim card in and read contact, also i really need word as my company send a lot in Word (microsoft) but there must be a viwer you can use now??

My friend bought the 3g Hong Kong model here in Phuket for 30.000.

I wonder what True will charge for one.

I still like my Omnia, i think it is better than the first Iphone. But the new one, not sure which one is best

If you want to simply import your SIM contacts from your SIM card, it's easy. From your iPhone's settings menu:

Go to Mail/Contacts/Calendar and the scroll down to the button labelled "Import SIM contacts". Click that button and your done. Or if you have all your contacts in Address Book (if you are using a Mac) or Outlook (if you are using Windows), just sync them from iTunes and that should do the trick.

If your company is sending you Word documents by email, all you have to do is touch the Word document icon in the message and it opens so you can read it.

By the way, the iPhone 3G costs about 23,000 baht at the Apple Store in Hong Kong. Whatever True will charge for the iPhone in Thailand will most likely be tied to a contract, and I wouldn't want that with True.

Hi Bubba

Thx a lot, maybe i will have another look at the 3G phone,hhmmm, i have said a lot of times here that Iphone is crap, just ask Nikster, but i did say never say never.

True,,, i have contract with them, not very good but everybody know that phone number thats why i still have it

Hi Bubba

Thx a lot, maybe i will have another look at the 3G phone,hhmmm, i have said a lot of times here that Iphone is crap, just ask Nikster, but i did say never say never.

True,,, i have contract with them, not very good but everybody know that phone number thats why i still have it

No problem. But just out of curiosity: what aspect of the iPhone prompted you to arrive at the conclusion that the "iPhone is crap"?

Hi

I had the first iphone there came out, could not use my sim card, the phone would not recognize my contact could not see word document, can’t remember all the things but i did not like it at all, also if i buy a phone i would like to update through the net, you could not with the first one, but now with 3g Hong Kong model look like you can do what you want, also buy a lot of apps on the net, now i will have a look again, if the phone can do what i want i will buy one tomorrow, the problem is that i like phones and change them out every few months, so maybe tomorrow i have a cheap Omnia for sale, who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

Since a lot of you have experience with the Iphone I hope you can help me out.

For those of you who use True Move in Bangkok... How is your reception? I have an old nokia (on AIS) that I want to replace because reception is quite bad in comparison to newer phones. It will depend on the signal of True Move though, so how is your experience?

Also I'm trying to determine what to do so I can use the eeepc and/or iphone for wifi/edge... I have some specific questions and posted a topic about it at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Needed-Inter...Ro-t234856.html

got the 3g iphone as a gift, imported

actually gave it to my wife, cause it's too gay )

anyway,

excellent: the ipod sound quality

good: mail and brouser

stupid: no video on the camera

annoying: itunes

cynical and disrespectful: no bluetooth or usb modem functionality, can't use as a usb drive

got the 3g iphone as a gift, imported

actually gave it to my wife, cause it's too gay )

anyway,

excellent: the ipod sound quality

good: mail and brouser

stupid: no video on the camera

annoying: itunes

cynical and disrespectful: no bluetooth or usb modem functionality, can't use as a usb drive

If you have a jailbroken iPhone, there are several video recording applications. I like VideoRecorder3G.

I don't know about PCs, but if you have a Mac, the following works great in allowing your iPhone to function as a USB drive, as well as a lot of other nice features such as exporting and archiving your SMSs:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/

Yesterday Thailand through True Move network Announced the Iphone. What a Joke. They had at least about few thousand people lined up and it would take about 3 to 4 hours at least to get in to end of the line. Suppose to sign contract for two years and get the phone. But after waiting for over 4 Hours they require loan approval by Bank to give the phone. I said I a mhere to get a Phone and not a Loan Approval to get a Phone. They were turning about 95% of their customers back and you could see everyone was so tired of waiting and they would hear this in the end. What a Joke by Apple introducing Iphone through True. I guess this is why AIS did not make the deal with Apple. Good Luck. It is better to buy the Iphone at MBK unlock and no bother with True.

The Following is quoted by "3GWeek - Asia Mobile News"

" "The phone actually hasn’t arrived yet in Thailand (although first it is reported to be available on Jan 16), but the local residences may able to book for it using True Move online page. Anyway, this is the million dollar question. Thankfully, we are not going to wait any longer to find out about it. If you would like to buy the handset only, it will cost you 24,500 baht for 8GB (US$ 701) and 28,500 Baht (US$ 816) for 16GB version. The conversion is for official rate, not the offshore rate. As of today, US$ 1 equals to 34.75 Baht."

Since a lot of you have experience with the Iphone I hope you can help me out.

For those of you who use True Move in Bangkok... How is your reception? I have an old nokia (on AIS) that I want to replace because reception is quite bad in comparison to newer phones. It will depend on the signal of True Move though, so how is your experience?

Also I'm trying to determine what to do so I can use the eeepc and/or iphone for wifi/edge... I have some specific questions and posted a topic about it at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Needed-Inter...Ro-t234856.html

You are probably better off just getting a HK unlocked iPhone from MBK (or HK, if you pass by), then use AIS or DTAC. Same price, and unlocked.