Iphone 3g

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesnt matter what country the iphone comes from ONCE the 3g unlock is out, which it isnt. However, certain countries are selling Iphones unlocked at a much higher price right now. In Japan they are selling iphones unlocked for about 25,000 baht from what it says on the web.

Hughden did you use a mac computer to unlock your old iphone with 2.0 firmware? I just found THIS:

http://sleepers.net/news/2008/07/20/pwnage...-windows-users/

Which is for windows users to unlock the 2.0 firmware. Its a little complicated for some people but Im going to try it.

It doesnt matter what country the iphone comes from ONCE the 3g unlock is out, which it isnt. However, certain countries are selling Iphones unlocked at a much higher price right now. In Japan they are selling iphones unlocked for about 25,000 baht from what it says on the web.

Hughden did you use a mac computer to unlock your old iphone with 2.0 firmware? I just found THIS:

Which is for windows users to unlock the 2.0 firmware. Its a little complicated for some people but Im going to try it.

As far as I know three countries sell legally unlocked iPhones, Hong Kong, Italy and Belgium and for sure its better to buy iPhone from one of those countries because when new firmware comes you don't need to wait for unlock, just upgrade with itunes and its will work..

P.S. I have a Mac if you still need.

Yes, I used a Mac and http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

The 3G iPhones must be signed to a 3-yr AT&T contract - but some have managed not to sign-up for the monthly data plan (I heard that the monthly data plan is required, whether you need it or not) "your mileage may vary" --- hence, the 3G iPhones you see for sale outside Apple Stores.

I heard that in USA, you can buy Iphone 3G without contracts for the prices 599$ and 699$. :o

Hope so some shops can import those kind, the price will be lesser.

Does anyone know the price range for Iphone 3G at MBK right now? I would like to buy one :D

With extreme trepidation, I embarked upon upgrading my previously MBK supplied iPhone to 2.0 using a link provided in this thread. Took 15 minutes and worked like a charm. Now downloading new apps from the iTunes store!

Wow, cool. I might just go and do it myself then. I am sort of dreading it too because I really don't want to brick this wonderful device...

As for 3g, what's the hurry guys, just wait until it comes down to a reasonable price. You can get them unlocked in Belgium and Australia, legal and everything, for about EUR 520 for the small version. Thailand doesn't have 3G and won't have it for a time to come.

As far as I know three countries sell legally unlocked iPhones, Hong Kong, Italy and Belgium and for sure its better to buy iPhone from one of those countries because when new firmware comes you don't need to wait for unlock, just upgrade with itunes and its will work..

I totally agree. Add Australia to the list where you can buy an unlocked iPhone.

Does anyone know what AT&T's early contract termination fees are? Let's say I get an iPhone from the USA, and terminate the contract within 30 days. They can't ask for the iPhone back because let's say I dropped it in the toilet...:o

A friend owns a phone store in HK. He said the demand is so great right now for the IPHONE that he will buy them from me in Australia for $1000AUD each as people are willing to pay big money for them.. Now all i need is the upfront costs to on sell them to him!!! :o:D :D :D :D :(:D

Well, I upgraded and unlocked my 1g iphone to 2.0 and Im loving it (did this on windows and was SUPER easy). The appstore is great, lots of free good apps (plenty of good ones to buy too but im cheap like that), cydia has some more good apps which comes with the upgrade. I am thinking of getting a me.com account though.... costs some money but it looks really good. Need 2.0 for that too of course. If anyone wants to know how to upgrade to 2.0 just say so here and I'll post the links and info.

I was unlocked with ziphone on 1.4 (shouldnt make a difference) and upgraded and unlocked 2.0

1. I downloaded a custom 2.0 firmware (used a torrent from piratebay) but you should be able to find a direct link to one.

2. Then I put my phone in RECOVERY mode (NOT dfu mode) using Ziphone 3.0 but you can do that by holding the right keys down and plugging it into your pc but ziphone way is easiest and surest, one button and its done.

3. Then I shift clicked RESTORE in itunes 7.7 and browsed to the downloaded custom firmware. I let the computer and phone do its thing all the way to completion (make sure phone is finished before you click on anything on the pc... at one point it will ask to load up your old phones settings from your last sync, dont do that, let the phone finish and then it will go back to that after and you can reload your old phones settings and contacts etc..) And that was it.

http://sleepers.net/news/2008/07/20/pwnage...-windows-users/ READ ALL THE COMMENTS, theres alot but you can see that alot of people landed up using the same method I used and it worked for them, the begining of the thread suggests a more complicated way... if you read the comments you see that is was unnecessary. Try to download the torrent link from piratebay if it is still working. If not try one of the direct download links in the comments.

Oh, and although I really like 2.0 it is fairly full of bugs... apple really messed up on this one... very surprising. Bugs that I can live with until they update to 2.0.1 which should be REAL soon heh. Things like crashing for no reason occasionally, some issues with wifi for some people..... cant think of any others at the moment. just FYI, many people have reported these problems which is a good thing since Apple cant claim they are intentional "working as intended" and will fix them asap.

Might as well list some of the good things with 2.0 so maybe you can decide if you want it. You can save pics from the internet now and it will save them in your photo section. You see a pic on a webpage you like and you clik and hold your finger on it and an option to save it comes up. The appstore has alot of interesting and cool apps, plenty of free ones Im still trying out, I'll investigate the paid apps later but some look useful. I am going to sign up for the 2 month free trial of mobile me. This will allow you to push your emails, contacts, calendars, pics, files etc. all the time to a cloud server that you can access and will sync with your pc's, macs. It also allows you to host 20 gigs of files that anyone can download if you want them too as well as host pics for friends to not only see but also upload to if you want to give them the right to upload. If you have ms exchange server the phone now supports that and will sync with that. Supports a ton of languages now, contacts search in contacts, easier to manage emails (mass move and delete).

Edited by Sabum

A freind told me that the iPhone 3g bluetooth wont handshake with any non supported devices (eg apples ones) and isnt an open / general purpose bluetooth.. No pic transfers, no contact transfers, no connections to non apple products..

Surely thats user error and not fact ??

A freind told me that the iPhone 3g bluetooth wont handshake with any non supported devices (eg apples ones) and isnt an open / general purpose bluetooth.. No pic transfers, no contact transfers, no connections to non apple products..

Surely thats user error and not fact ??

No this is the biggest problem with the iphone and the reason for so many critics, the bluetooth simply sucks. However... it seems that this might be fixed down the road with either a firmware update from apple or a program from a third party, this is what I read anyway.

2 other major complaints were the headphone jack wasnt usable by other non ipone headphones without a tiny adapter on the old iphone but the new 3g allows all headphones to connect. The other major complaint was no modem tethering to get internet on your laptop through your iphone but you can do this with the 3G.

Was just at MBK and was offered a 3G iPhone for 29.000, so it seems like the price is going down.

bullsh*t, please tell me the name of the shop that is undercutting everyone else by 20K, and explain to me why the dealer who unlocked mine offered me 33k for it this morning.

methinks you dont know the difference between the old ipod and a 3g

Edited by t.s

Report form Phuket:

I was walking past a phone kiosk and saw a sign for "iPhone 3G" I asked if they had any and the shop girl told me they would be getting them next month. (Aug) I asked how much and she quoted me THB25,000 for the 8GB model.

Report form Phuket:

I was walking past a phone kiosk and saw a sign for "iPhone 3G" I asked if they had any and the shop girl told me they would be getting them next month. (Aug) I asked how much and she quoted me THB25,000 for the 8GB model.

Sounds like the regular iPhone (for phuket) price to me..

I did an extensive survey of MBK yesterday with a Thai friend who was looking for an iPhone. I already have one. As background, I stood off in the background until the price was garnered, just to prevent any "farang price" bias for this survery.

2G phones: New ones have appreciated a LOT. Cheapest we could find yesterday was 25,000. Highest was 29,000. As for second hand, cheapest was 19,500, highest was 22,000. This is amazing since I bought a second hand one five weeks ago for 15,000. I was offered 17,000 on the spot for mine yesterday! First time I ever bought anything electronic and could resell it more than a month later for a profit. (But I refused the offer!)

3G: most were in the 42K to 45K range, but we did find one for 39K at one stall. When asked, all the sellers claimed they were from Hong Kong, and if I was serious about buying one, I was welcome to insert my SIM card to prove that it was well and truly unlocked and jailbroken.

I did an extensive survey of MBK yesterday with a Thai friend who was looking for an iPhone. I already have one. As background, I stood off in the background until the price was garnered, just to prevent any "farang price" bias for this survery.

2G phones: New ones have appreciated a LOT. Cheapest we could find yesterday was 25,000. Highest was 29,000. As for second hand, cheapest was 19,500, highest was 22,000. This is amazing since I bought a second hand one five weeks ago for 15,000. I was offered 17,000 on the spot for mine yesterday! First time I ever bought anything electronic and could resell it more than a month later for a profit. (But I refused the offer!)

3G: most were in the 42K to 45K range, but we did find one for 39K at one stall. When asked, all the sellers claimed they were from Hong Kong, and if I was serious about buying one, I was welcome to insert my SIM card to prove that it was well and truly unlocked and jailbroken.

LOL, yeah that's a first - electronics that go up in price. Who would have thought? I bought mine in the U.S. when the 4GB version was on sale, for $299 or BHT 10,000 :D No way I am selling it though, haha :o

It will be a short lived phenomenon as the 3G version will come down in price. You can buy them in Hong Kong from the official dealerships unlocked, so getting a HK version is good - it's officially unlocked and won't re-lock or brick with software updates.

I also read somewhere that the 3G iPhone will be officially sold world-wide in all markets at the end of the year. By then there may not even be shortages anymore...

BTW - thanks for the report, much appreciated.

Edited by nikster

I didn't know that unlocked iPhones were officially available from official dealers in HKG. Any idea what they cost?

You have to buy them on a two year contract at about 480 hk per month.