Iphone 3g

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To buy a iPhone 3G in Hong Kong you have to provide proof of residence.

In France they have the unlocked for an extra 100 Euros - after three weeks they mail you the unlock code.

In Belgium I heard that the phone will relock itself - even if unlocked - if used outside the origin country. But I doubt that.

I blogged about all of this.

Fact is: Stick with your old iPhone.

As long as supply is that tight prices are insane.

And if you don't need that big of a real estate screen, there are other option.

Even though, no phone has such nice icons as the iPhone.

I for myself though i need functionality.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings.

I need some information please.

Which cell phone carrier in Thailand (mostly Bangkok) should you use for the iPhone (or any other smart phone) ?

And what plan do they have that would include the use of data for Internet access, EDGE (or 3G where/when available) ?

And what is the cost per month ?

Those PREPAID sim cards you could buy at the mall or 7/11 would usually NOT include the data access, is this correct ?

Thank you in advance.

27K for the iPhone 3G 8GB as of last week...

Aswin, DTAC has the most extensive EDGE network in Bangkok...their promotions vary, but I think you can get a plan for 299 Baht which includes something like 150 hours of EDGE use.

Prepaid sim cards also have data access, but usually not enabled by default, they require a call to customer service and the cost is 1 baht/minute after it's enabled (irrespective of actual transfer amounts)

I went at MBK yesterday. I visited several shops, using both my farang-tourist profile and my local-farang profile to see how the prices vary. I also triied to listen to shops selling to Thai. Mostly the announced prices are the same, but depending on the shop and your skills, you can bargain a little.

Here are the average prices I got:

• Iphone 3G - 16GB - 29,900 THB (needs software unlock and Turbo-Sim to work in Thailand or unofficial countries)

• Iphone 3G - 8GB - 26,200 THB (needs software unlock and Turbo-Sim to work in Thailand or unofficial countries)

• Iphone 3G - 16GB - 42,500 THB (legally unlocked and sim-unlock for use with any SIM. They are under a paid 2 years contract in Hong-Kong): safe but expensive

For the 'old' Iphone with firmware 1.1.4:

• Iphone 2G - 16GB - 25,700 THB
  • Iphone 2G - 8GB - 22,200 THB

Excuse me, but why would you want a 3G if the support for it is not available yet in Thailand? Assuming you live mainly in Thailand. By the time it's available, the iPhone will be outdated.

3G iPhone also has built-in GPS, which is a plus for most people with a car, no?

3G iPhone also has built-in GPS, which is a plus for most people with a car, no?

does anyone with a 3G know if the GPS works here in LOS? I saw one working in the UK and it used google maps but I am sure it used a combination of internet access and GPS. I would hate to depend on AIS interent if I was lost!

I don't know if GPS would even work in Thailand. But then again, I also don't know how you could get lost in Bangkok or Thailand. The street signs are all marked in English outside Bangkok and inside Bangkok, the streets change direction so fast that you'd need to download an update for your maps every few days.

I have owned both the original phone and the 3G model. The 3G has a bit better audio and better speaker if that is important to you. The GPS is nice and all but the legit unlocked 3G version is in no way a good enough upgrade to justify 20k more on it. I wouldn't go for any phone that needed turbosim. My current 3G is legit but locked to a carrier, so I might just pick up an 8GB rev a for use next time I am in Thailand.

If you are wondering why I don't have my original still it is because I gave it away last time I was in Thailand. I can assure you somebody was very happy. Still hoping the 3G has a software unlock before my next trip.

Regarding the GPS, it needs an internet connection to download the maps, the maps aren't the same as maps.google.com though (they use thai AND roman letters, which maps on iphone 3g don't, so it only uses thai script) if anyone knows how to change this, please advise.

Regarding the GPS, it needs an internet connection to download the maps, the maps aren't the same as maps.google.com though (they use thai AND roman letters, which maps on iphone 3g don't, so it only uses thai script) if anyone knows how to change this, please advise.

I use GoogleMaps on my phone also, although it is not an iPhone. The internet connection (Wifi or GPRS/EDGE) is needed to determine your rough location (via cell tower registration/location almanac) and to download the map of your current location. The GPS functionality is used to fine-tune your current location.

As you mentioned, the maps appear in Thai language only. I *think* GoogleMaps is smart enough to load language-appropriate maps depending upon your current location.

I will be traveling to Nigeria at the end of the week, so I will see what GoogleMaps comes up with while I am there.

Edit: did some "field research"

For fun, fire up GoogleMaps on your phone. Now zoom out almost to the limit, then scroll over to China, for example. Place names are in Chinese script.

I see in Poland, the place names use the Pole spelling. In Russia, the place names are in "Russian" (Cyrillic). Mexico, Spanish.

Looks like the maps are made that way. Probably no way to change them.

Edited by mgjackson69

I have the 16 gig 3G US version with a turbosim or whatever.

The GPS works in Thailand. You don't need an internet/edge/wifi/gprs connection for the GPS to work. It helps download maps faster if you have it though.

Is it safe to use it with the TurboSim ? Because the price difference between an unlocked model (HK) and a US model is quite different !

I have the 16 gig 3G US version with a turbosim or whatever.

The GPS works in Thailand. You don't need an internet/edge/wifi/gprs connection for the GPS to work. It helps download maps faster if you have it though.

Depending upon the GPS application that you are using, you may or may not need an internet connection.

GoogleMaps requires an internet connection.

I'm thinking of buying an iPhone. The old version, not the 3G as I don't need the GPS. Are there any noticeable differences between the old version and the new one?

there isn't much difference. The 3G feels a little better to hold and has better audio and speaker. Other than that they are about exactly the same as far as use goes. I have a 3G and will probably pick up an old one when I am in BKK just to use in thailand. I really can't see spending so much more on a 3G there as there is no 3G service. As far as GPS goes, when is the exact moment in time people started seeing this as a mandatory feature? The old phone can bring up mapsand locate you although the maps are in Thai. If you can't figure out where you are from that point you have other problems.

So go ahead and get the original is my advice.

Thanks :o I was looking online for any real changes but it seems the only thing is the GPS, the 3G network and the claim that it's "twice as fast". It seemed fast enough for me when I tried it last time a few months back, so I may as well get the old one then..

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any luck bringing their locked, US version iPhone 3G to LoS and having it unlocked?

I know that somebody is purportedly coming out with a software unlock on Dec 31.

http://gizmodo.com/5111156/iphone-3g-unloc...n-new-years-eve

But I just wanted to see if some enterprising souls in Thailand have already come up with an easy way to do it... particulary in Chiang Mai.

Thanks...

Anyone have any luck bringing their locked, US version iPhone 3G to LoS and having it unlocked?

I know that somebody is purportedly coming out with a software unlock on Dec 31.

But I just wanted to see if some enterprising souls in Thailand have already come up with an easy way to do it... particulary in Chiang Mai.

Thanks...

Nobody can do it yet. Here is where the über-geeks live that make the unlocking and jailbreaking code, including the unlock that you refer to:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

You can check there for updates. Pay special notice to the baseband version number requirement. If you have greater than ver. 2.11.07, you probably won't be able to unlock it.

Edited by bubba

Thanks...

Nobody can do it yet. Here is where the über-geeks live that make the unlocking and jailbreaking code, including the unlock that you refer to:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

You can check there for updates. Pay special notice to the baseband version number requirement. If you have greater than ver. 2.11.07, you probably won't be able to unlock it.

Thanks... I will be tracking that site to see how it goes. Just in case, anybody in Thailand unlocking their iPhone 3G with a SIM based unlocker? I've heard about some stability issues using these. Anybody in Thailand selling them?

Thanks again for the info.