Foreigners Complaining

TheDon

Ok, I will be living in Thailand next year and I want to know are all foreigners in Thailand big whingers? I mean I've been there a few times and even had a farang friend in BKK. We are not friends now because when I was there for a holiday all he did was complain about everything under the sun. I was trying to relax and he just got on my nerves and I snapped at him.

So what are your experience?

Edited by TheDon

Ok, I will be living in Thailand next year and I want to know are all foreigners in Thailand big whingers? I mean I've been there a few times and even had a farang friend in BKK. We are not friends now because when I was there for a holiday all he did was complain about everything under the sun. I was trying to relax and he just got on my nerves and I snapped at him.

my experience are there are lots of it :o

I see them whining outside a bit. Non of them ever look happy and they never smile. But some are cool

It seems that a lot of expats move here because its cheap become complacent and then start wanting it cheaper, it seems these types are the ones that cant really afford to be here so end up balloon chasing or moving to issan,.just have enough money don and you will be fine, its no different to anywhere else as long as you are comfortable,. unlike family you can choose your friends and probably like me you will dump some of them as you wil have nothing in common,.

Edited by mikethevigoman

I would of snap kicked him to the back of the head if he wasnt my mate

What do you do to those you call 'mates'?--if that's your arm in your avatar i would probably stay as far away as possible!

Only joking--I think whingers are everywhere, in fact--God, today I was talking to this guy and God did he get on my tits, I hate those sorts, and as for............and so on---you see--I reckon Homo Sapiens was designed to moan.

Ok, I will be living in Thailand next year and I want to know are all foreigners in Thailand big whingers?

...Yes!

...except farang monks, farangs, who try to avoid the "Thai way" as much as they can and live their "own live", farangs freshly in love, who accept everything (in the first months), farang mutated into Thais and divers under water.

Seriously: There are many farangs, who dislike this and that, but they do not care too much. They see and enjoy more the numerous positiv aspects...

i moved here just over a week ago (to pattaya) andI cant say that the expats i have met have been moaning much at all and most moans are light hearted. me, i love it here and accept the bad with the good since the good things outweigh the bad. Having said that, I am drunk 4-5 nights a week, so maybe they moaned but i was too drunk to recall... :o

I think that Thailand seems to attract more than its fair share of malcontents. You only have to read a few threads on this forum to see that. I think it is best to try and avoid the moaners if possible as their negativity can sometimes act like a black hole and suck other people in. Everywhere has its faults, but it is up to you if you want to focus on the positive or the negative. If you choose the negative you will likely have a lot of company though. If you choose the positive people will claim that you are naive or stupid.

Edited by garro

The only thing I can think is worth whining about is the shotty home construction. But even at that it is so much cheaper than the U.S. Instead of whining about the work I will build the 2nd phase of my house & hire a contractor for 20,000 baht worth of work to keep it within Bang Sare's farang parameters(with regards to working). Even at that not much to whine about as it does no good anyway & no one really wants to hear an excessive amount of Wah Wah. Lots of countries to try roll the bones & try a new destination...........I suspect though these are inherent problems within ones self that one can not escape.

Foreigners complaining about foreigners complaining, is there a lot of it?

That said, complaining is probably my biggest pet peeve in the world. Sometimes, however, it's justified. Most of the time we should just let it go and be happier and have lower blood pressure.

Foreigners complaining about foreigners complaining, is there a lot of it?

and the guy is not even living in Thailand yet :o it must a record even for TV forum 555 lol

On a more serious note, I guess expats all go thru' culture shock and various phases of adjustments:

1. "The honeymoon phase" everything seem great, you feel continuously excited about the new surrounding, exotic scents, different foods etc...

2. "The adjustment phase" after weeks or months you get used to the new life and start absorbing some of locals' manner and outlook on things

3. "The simmering discomfort" this is the point where you start comparing things to what you were used back home and finding your old ways better than new ways, some of the behaviour you witness every day doesn't make sense anymore. You start feeling alienated from that society. You know that something is wrong but you can't quite put your finger on.

... and then depending on your circumstances & personal traits you may end up on two different scenarios:

4a. "Reverse Cultural shock" total rejection of the host culture, feeling of helplessness because one has either burned all bridges behind or commitments to work force you to stay on. This is when you see people bitching and moaning all the time. They stuck in a situation and don't know when and how to get out.

4b. "Acceptance of new life" successful expats who are able to integrate in the new society without losing their own identity. They have found a country whose main qualities meet their life's priorities whilst the negatives (of that country) are considered of secondary importance. They finally accept the host culture warts and all and put roots in their adopted country.

Lemme tell ya that of all the countries (over 20) I have lived, worked and holidayed, Australia is the place with far more expats/immigrants who loudly complain about the host society, daily bitching & moaning. It's the place, in percentage, where almost everyone wants to go but most of them regrets it afterwards. Figure that one out.

I wonder what kind of company the OP and his friends keep.

My impression of Thailand whenever I'm there is surprise at how laid back everyone is.

The only whingers I encounter are those on holiday who aren't satisfied with the package or the destination.

I must be very lucky that me and my friends never moan about things,only a little of, group getting the country better syndrome, lol.

Nothing wrong in having a few beers and putting the world to rights but constant bitching gets right up my nose and i want to snap kick somebody

... all he did was complain about everything under the sun. I was trying to relax and he just got on my nerves and I snapped at him...

I'll give you 3 months - then you'll be whingeing like the rest of 'em.

I have been visiting Thailand since 1975 making no fewer than 100 trips in total. My only complaint on each visit is that I have to leave Thailand so soon.

I think a lot of the whingers are sourpusses by nature, or are stuck in a rut which they are unable to extract themselves.

Be honest folks isn,t whinging part of getting old, there is a bit of victor meldrew in us all when we pass 55, I successfully got through the grumpy old fart stage of my life, moving from uk to australia the culture shock!!got straight into whinging pom mode, but there was always at least 3 months of sanity and sanook in thailand every year , well the whinging has stopped or so they say :lol:you come across lots of whingers everywhere not just thailand,dont worry about whingers in thailand , do what I do tell them politely to shut the fxxx up works for me :o Nignoy

Yes, some of us complain too much. I am guilty as charged. I could blame it on the fact that back home, complaining about certain things could yield positive results. Rome - you know, that famous European capital where you are supposed to behave just like the locals - was not built in a day, but it did get built because leaders built it and rebuilt it. But since foreigners are not allowed to build much here, maybe we ....should do what, just shut up and smile falsely?

I don't bother complaining, although I'm Mr. Grouchy. Accomplished this by avoiding places and the people that bring it on. Living in my cocoon let's me deny the reality. My Thai homie taught me a trick: Whenever someone does something annoying, just smile, say thank you and move on. Life's too short to waste time on unproductive activites. Also having a cat or a dog is a great outlet. You just go home, give a hug and voila, life's aggravations are checked.

Yes, some of us complain too much. I am guilty as charged. I could blame it on the fact that back home, complaining about certain things could yield positive results. Rome - you know, that famous European capital where you are supposed to behave just like the locals - was not built in a day, but it did get built because leaders built it and rebuilt it. But since foreigners are not allowed to build much here, maybe we ....should do what, just shut up and smile falsely?

I think that is the big difference PB. I didn't come to Thailand to change it, but because there was something here that appealed to me -warts and all. I suppose it is like when we meet a new partner. Some people fall in love with the idea of what that person could be like after we change them, but fall out of love when we realise that they are not meeting our expectations of how they should be. Others except our new mate for what they are.

One of your American sayings which I like is, 'that if it is raining lemons then make lemonade'.

I think that's a great point Garro. Some of us didn't move to Thailand out of love, and never held romantic notions to begin with.

*But, I can understand those who do. And I can understand the feelings of indebtedness they might feel. In many ways, Thailand was good to me, and I'm grateful. But, I'm grateful for many things.

Edited by kat