Salvation For 9.5 Million Poor Households

george

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

They should subsidize 91 petrol for motorbikes. because "real poor" people don't drive cars that use Diesel or Gasohol, but instead ride old rattling motorbikes with two-stroke engines that CAN NOT use gasohol without modifications.

Subsidising (lowering tax) on Diesel and gasohol only allows the RICH people to drive their Benzes around the corner to get booze at 7-Eleven, or mothers to ferry their 2 children the whole 1.5 kilometers to school, which, due to a million other mothers doing so, takes around two hours and burns around 10 liters of the stuff.

Do it like in Germany! Dedicated pumps at gas stations for motorbikes (in Germany it's for trucks who pay lower taxes on Diesel due to their much higher consumption, call it a "volume discount") where one can get 91 at a reduced price. How much goes in a Wave, 3 liters if it was completely empty? And put a limit on liters sold per "session", say 10 liters (in Germany the MINIMUM on the truck pumps is 150 liters if i remember correctly).

THAT way the poorer (or more economically thinking) people who use motorbikes instead of cars will be rewarded.

Best regards.....

Thanh

The exposition on the derivation and meaning of the word, litre. was fascinating.

BUT, the post that was being replied to said "<deleted> is a cubic litre?", referring to an earlier post.

Either Cubic litre is a tautology or it refers to a transdimensional measurement. If the latter, then the answer would be incorrect.

Salvation for the poor

BANGKOK: -- State kicks in nearly Bt50 billion for economic fillip and to help needy make ends meet.

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month.

--Xpress/The Nation 2008-07-16

<deleted> is a cubic litre?

Can't they get journos who understand what they are writing about? Or at least an editor who does?

litre is in the dictionary, mostly British use, they used it properly. <deleted> is a jurnos?

Surely it is obvious he was referring to the unnecessary use of the word cubic rather than the spelling of the word litre!?!

Journos (not "jurnos" as you misquote) is an abreviation of journalists. I think the context in which the word is used makes that clear enough. (or not)

Well, i guess i must go online as disagreeing with the general consensus here as I think the move is a good one.

My mother in law is very poor and having her electric and water bill paid will be a big help to her. (and to me as i'm the one that usually ends up paying it)

She doesn't have any thing that she can drive or put fuel into so that part is moot. And there are no trains near her to ride the 3rd class ticket.

No buses either except songteaws and i don't think they are considered public buses.

But the electric bill and water bill help. The cooking (LP) gas is also moot as she is afraid of it and always builds fires from wood as most of the poor people do that i see around her neighborhood.

I'll say her thanks for her in English.

I believe governments around the world are looking for ways to help their poor to survive the economic downturn going on. Maybe there's a perfect method out there. For now, this one looks pretty good to me. Do i think my mother in law is going to abuse the amount of electricity she's using? I don't think she's ever wasted anything in her life. (except maybe an education)

I'm sure you are happy, with seeing your mother in law get benefits in the range of 15baht per 100baht possible, while you having to pay for it in other taxes at the rate of 25baht.

Might just have been cheaper to pay her electric bill after all.

If the price of diesel is reduced then the cost of transportation of goods would be reduced thus helping everybody. All of course subject to the price reduction being passed on. And we all know how often that happens!

For the poorer (def??) workers in Bangkok then the free bus travel will help them in reducing costs to travel to work. But not much use for those outside Bangkok. Similarly the free 3rd class train travel may go some way to help some workers. Free travel does not necessarily have to be for tourism but if someone can get a free trip somewhere then good for them and I hope they enjoy their trip.

(Edit for spelling mistake)

Edited by thaipapajim

This will get Mr. Sondi's panties in a twist real soon. The military junta's constitution clearly forbids an elected government from doing anything that would help poor people.

Let's hope in that case that the poor will overrun the extortionist Sondhi/Chamlong camp forever. If I were the government I would impose an hefty fine for all elitists who discriminate foreigners (and foreigners mean by these people all Hilltribe people who stay in Thailand much longer than the families of the elitists, who mostly came from China anyhow, and extra taxes on all of their companies using illegal immigrants, who have to work 12-16 hours a day for half the minimum wage. After all you have to pay for it. And last but not least, bring the old 1997 constitution back by asking the voters. The military have no role in politics, just like Chamlong should have no role in politics after having ruined the country 30 years ago and again in the 90's. The military and the elite should grow up and realize that every vote is worth the same. Appointed judges should be replaced to those who abide by the rules of democracy.

Yeeeeah. Given that they have done virtually nothing so far, giving away a ton of free stuff with no real strategy for developing long term sustainable competitive advantage is exactly what a democractically elected government should do.

Well that, and also trying to change the constitution asked for by the majority of voters in the referendum (FACT).

The only people screwing this country up are the ones who have been in power since the rise of TRT (including the military junta also) since the early 2000s.

Bring back Chuan, you knew how to be fiscally responsible :-)

Well, i guess i must go online as disagreeing with the general consensus here as I think the move is a good one.

My mother in law is very poor and having her electric and water bill paid will be a big help to her. (and to me as i'm the one that usually ends up paying it)

She doesn't have any thing that she can drive or put fuel into so that part is moot. And there are no trains near her to ride the 3rd class ticket.

No buses either except songteaws and i don't think they are considered public buses.

But the electric bill and water bill help. The cooking (LP) gas is also moot as she is afraid of it and always builds fires from wood as most of the poor people do that i see around her neighborhood.

I believe governments around the world are looking for ways to help their poor to survive the economic downturn going on. Maybe there's a perfect method out there. For now, this one looks pretty good to me. Do i think my mother in law is going to abuse the amount of electricity she's using? I don't think she's ever wasted anything in her life. (except maybe an education)

I'm sure you are happy, with seeing your mother in law get benefits in the range of 15baht per 100baht possible, while you having to pay for it in other taxes at the rate of 25baht.

The way i read it, her electric and water bill would be free. Where did you see that it would only be 15% as you are saying? I'm referring to the OP's #1 post on this thread.

If as the article says this will help 9.5 million households (poor households) useing 3.5 as average household size, is that not far from 32 million Thais who are classified as poor by their own government? Sure knocks the head count on the other economic wage earners when you look at those too young, too wealthy, too lazy etc. The last census used a number of 61+ million. Where do the middle class enter this picture? Too many mega baht projects are being proposed in such a short time since the last election expenses were incured. There are too many fires and they are too big to stamp out. Kind of like the one legged man in the a.s kicking contest, besides physical you need mental ability to stay in the match.

The way i read it, her electric and water bill would be free. Where did you see that it would only be 15% as you are saying? I'm referring to the OP's #1 post on this thread.

Read again, 15baht per 100baht possible, if she would have a car and so on, i.e. be a recipient of ALL the benefits of this package. Because remember, even if it sounds nice that she will get her bills payed for her, the brute of the money in this scheme will be covering other costs. And the cost for the whole package have to be payed by us that work and pay taxes. And that would perhaps include even you.

If as the article says this will help 9.5 million households (poor households) useing 3.5 as average household size, is that not far from 32 million Thais who are classified as poor by their own government? Sure knocks the head count on the other economic wage earners when you look at those too young, too wealthy, too lazy etc. The last census used a number of 61+ million. Where do the middle class enter this picture? Too many mega baht projects are being proposed in such a short time since the last election expenses were incured. There are too many fires and they are too big to stamp out. Kind of like the one legged man in the a.s kicking contest, besides physical you need mental ability to stay in the match.

The whole package will supposedly cover expenses to 5k baht, once, for 9.5 million families... if this is a 6 month solution, it means that they will have to have an electric bills no higher than 200baht? (Rounding up.)

I don't mind getting a taxi ride payed...where do one sign up as poor?

Salvation for the poor

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month.

Put 1 litre of water into a container 10cm x 10cm x 10cm and I reckon you've got a "cubic" litre. :o

But WOW! 50 litres a month = 1.667 litres a day! I knew old Samak was the generous caring type, deep down.

I'm guessing: the official statement was 50 units (the waterbill comes in units used, not in litres) and somebody messed up when translating units into either litres or cubic metres.

So can somebody tell us how many litres, or how many cubic meters is 1 unit in the water bill?

Read again, 15baht per 100baht possible, if she would have a car and so on, i.e. be a recipient of ALL the benefits of this package. Because remember, even if it sounds nice that she will get her bills payed for her, the brute of the money in this scheme will be covering other costs. And the cost for the whole package have to be payed by us that work and pay taxes. And that would perhaps include even you.

Forgive me, but I think most people in this forum just don't know what the word POOR really stands for. Therefore they can't really evaluate whether the plan will help or not. Personally I'm not very pleased with the actual government, but this plan to help the poor a little bit is surprisingly positive. Will it be successful or not? You don't know if you don't try. Will the rich people abuse from the free bus ride? Let's see how crowded those buses will be and then you decide whether you want to play poor and get on it too.

It is a slate of populist and easily marketable polices that politcally will look good with the PPPs constituents. Hopefully some will actually benefit too.

It is definitely not an economic stimulus package and the reduction of diesel tax alone will as others point out result in the largest cost. One shouldnt be cynical I guess but the PPP does include some of the biggest haulage and bus company owners who will benefit more than any poor person from this package.

Politcally it is no doubt a good move especially if the PPP can recapture its currently lost marketing talent. Economically it is a limited short term handout to the poor and the reintroduction of subsidised energy costs and the 6 month duration probably indicates when the government think they can have the charter ammendment rammed through and an election ready to call. Now there I go being all cynical again;)

Screws was right to pick up that point, there is no such thing as cubic litre as a litre is already a measurement of volume and therefore renders the cube unecessary.

We are missing the big point though, if they did actually mean 50m3 then that is a wasteful amount of water, my household of 4 uses 7-8m3 per month. Have you seen the villagers washing clothes, dishes, etc. hose pipe constantly flowing, rinsing plates 3-4 times, what's that about. I can't imagine they meant 50 litres cos that wouldn't last a day.

50m3 per month get real!!

It is a slate of populist and easily marketable polices that politcally will look good with the PPPs constituents. Hopefully some will actually benefit too.

It is definitely not an economic stimulus package and the reduction of diesel tax alone will as others point out result in the largest cost. One shouldnt be cynical I guess but the PPP does include some of the biggest haulage and bus company owners who will benefit more than any poor person from this package.

Politcally it is no doubt a good move especially if the PPP can recapture its currently lost marketing talent. Economically it is a limited short term handout to the poor and the reintroduction of subsidised energy costs and the 6 month duration probably indicates when the government think they can have the charter ammendment rammed through and an election ready to call. Now there I go being all cynical again;)

Good post! Let's hope your right!

Good post! Let's hope your right!

Praise from Sunrise! I am amazed! My record on predictions is decidely mixed..... and I wouldnt put too much of my not too huge pile of baht on the government making it to constitutional change even if gambling were legal in Thailand!

So, the "filip" will cost about 50,000,000,000 Bahts, and is to benefit 10,000,000 poor households.

Q. Why can't they just hand out 5,000 Baht directly to each of these poor households?

A. Because the rich households will benefit to the tune of 60,000,000,000 Bahts.

And how does that work?

Because the poor households will be 70,000,000,000 worse off.

I can do maths just as well as the Thai politicians.

"Giss a job, I can do tha"

It is a slate of populist and easily marketable polices that politically will look good with the PPPs constituents. Hopefully some will actually benefit too.

It is definitely not an economic stimulus package and the reduction of diesel tax alone will as others point out result in the largest cost. One shouldn't be cynical I guess but the PPP does include some of the biggest haulage and bus company owners who will benefit more than any poor person from this package.

Politically it is no doubt a good move especially if the PPP can recapture its currently lost marketing talent. Economically it is a limited short term handout to the poor and the reintroduction of subsidized energy costs and the 6 month duration probably indicates when the government think they can have the charter amendment rammed through and an election ready to call. Now there I go being all cynical again;)

your cynicism is shared... when do we vote?

Government slashes utilities and transport costs

The government has introduced a new 47-billion-baht economic assistance program, which critics labeled a ploy to lift its popularity ahead of fresh polls.

Witthayakorn Chiangkoon, Dean of Rangsit University's College of Social Innovation, said the measures implied that a snap election is likely to be called soon, prompting suspicions the program is a canvassing package rather than a genuine bid to ease the financial difficulties of the poor. Mr Witthayakorn said suspicions arise because the measures have been introduced while the Samak administration is facing political pressure. Nipon Puapongsakorn, Dean of Thammasat University's Economics faculty, said the government has introduced the new package in a rush. It did not even consult the National Economic and Social Development Board. The six measures will have adverse consequences for state enterprises providing public utilities, bus, and train services, said Mr Nipon. *an avoided aspect not mentioned by the government nor posters*

http://www.bangkokpost.net/160708_News/16Jul2008_news06.php

Edited by sriracha john

Hi folks, I am ever so glad we have the cubic litre figured out!

Now let me see....a cubic of water is a 6 sided hollow shape filled with water. With the 6 sides being flat and all 6 in contact, which is 4 sides in contact with the top and the same 4 sides in contact with the bottom.

And as we are talking of fresh water we don't need to factor in the specific gravity. And this cubic square is equal to 1000L, right? So the household quota is 50 cubic's per month. That would mean the container for each household would be 50 metres long x 1 metre wide x 1 metre high. In effect 50,000L of water.

Which is equal to 50 kiloL

Next!!!

Salvation for the poor

BANGKOK: -- State kicks in nearly Bt50 billion for economic fillip and to help needy make ends meet.

<deleted> is a cubic litre?

Can't they get journos who understand what they are writing about? Or at least an editor who does?

litre is in the dictionary, mostly British use, they used it properly. <deleted> is a jurnos?

They may be refering to a "liter atmosphere" (L·atm)

Is a unit of work or energy used in the study of confined gases. The behavior of gases is described, to a first approximation, by the ideal gas law PV = nRT. The ideal gas law is really an energy equation in which the left hand side, pressure P (in atmospheres) times volume V (in liters), measures the potential energy in the confined gas. One liter atmosphere is equal to 101.325 joules, 0.09605 Btu or 74.73 foot pounds. Sure do hope this helps all to understand this often confused method of measurement.

Hey, it isn't so bad. I can now drive my big diesel powered SUV around Bangkok cheaper than before. :o

Salvation for the poor

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month. It will do likewise for households that consume fewer than 80 units of electricity a month.

OK, now that everybody knows that "cubic litres" is pure rubbish written by some ignorant journalist, let's not

forget the silly expression "units of electricity". As written here, it can be virtuelly anything; probably kWh is what

they mean. 1 kWh (kilowatthour) is 1000 Watts during one hour. 1000 Watts is e.g. 4.3 A (Amperes) at 230 V (Volts).

4.3 * 230 = 1000 W (Watts). So, if a piece of equipment that is marked 1000 Watts is left on for 1 hour,

1 kWh is consumed. An A/C that runs continuously for one month can easily cost you 1000 kWh !

I looks like to be a great initiative, but I have my doubts if it will hit the right people. Also the result that it should buoost up the economy is doubtful...

It isn't designed to help the poor really, it is designed merely to win votes as per the last diesel subsidy disaster by TRT (which was coincidentally not too bad for the PTT share price, owned by many TRT backers/political families).

If they were serious about priming the pump then for transport:

- subsidies to convert to CNG especially for public, van transport (one off, and it pays itself off as Thailand has gas)

- interest free/subsidised loans for petrol stations to expand their gas network (one off and builds the infrastructure)

- subsidy and price freeze for buses/boats (note that giving away free is far more expensive that a subsidy) short term only and only for very specific people - actually logistics is far more important than for people

- massive education program on tire pressures/speeding and major fines introduced for speeding

- deregulated rail sector

If they were serious about improving the poor:

- massive education program on saving/budgeting

- real clampdown and removal of lottery/gambling/loan sharking

- genuine proper low cost healthcare

- controls on where cooking gas goes (i.e. not to vehicles) with a subsidy on cooking gas ONLY

And for business:

- soft loans for existing businesses directly affected by oil price

- roadshows abroad and consistency in govt policy

- focus on the fundamentals of an economy, NOT on changing a constitution which was asked for by the majority in a referendum

- more FTAs and more education for leveraging those FTAs

- more deregulation - if we are hurting then let's pull that bandaid right off

And if they were serious about communicating it:

- economic study predicting impact

- decent educated government spokespeople

- good media relations and stop leaning on the media to report your version of the news

This is a TRT style giveaway, which further reduces the ability of the poor to look after themselves; it is exactly the worst thing long term that any government could do; similar to saying to all the people studying at university 'never mind, you all get a pass, well done' Great short term for the student morale, long term absolute s&*t for the country.

Hey, it isn't so bad. I can now drive my big diesel powered SUV around Bangkok cheaper than before. :o

Me too. Not sure that is right but hey whatever....

Any word on the success of the previous round of handouts? It was supposed to solve all the problems they are trying to fix now already.

Have they been fully implemented yet? What's the impact?

Is it normal to give away billions of dollars without any assessment of returns and start some new program instead?

It's a disaster in the making. Luckily the numbers involved are not that big, and letting people spend the money is probably more economical than letting the government itself manage anything.

I once read that in the US for every 1,000 in government spending there's 600 overhead. In Thailand it is probably a lot worse.

I once read that in the US for every 1,000 in government spending there's 600 overhead. In Thailand it is probably a lot worse.

Here 1000 of PPP govt spending is like 1200 directly to the politicians and a further 2000 in overhead to run it, with 1 going to the stated cause.

Salvation for the poor

Poor people will get free electricity and water and excise taxes on gasohol and diesel have been slashed in a government economic stimulus package announced yesterday.

The handouts and tax breaks will last six months, until state spending on billion-baht infrastructure projects can give the economy a jump start.

They start on August 1, except for the fuel tax cuts that take effect next Friday.

They are expected to cost Bt46 billion.

PM Samak Sundaravej told the country in a television broadcast the moves will "help reduce the burden of low-income earners".

SEEMS LIKE THE GOVERMENT HERE HAS NO IDEA-THEY DONT SEE WHAT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN HERE,IM NOT SURE HOW MUCH THAILAND NEEDS TOURISTS BUT HERE ON SAMUI -AND I WAS IN CHIANG MAI RECENTLY THE DROP IN NUMBERS IS QUITE LARGE,AND I THINK NEXT LOW SEASON IS GOING TO BE HORRIFIC FOR MANY BUISNESSES .I KNOW SOME PEOPLE SURVIVING ON 150 BHT/DAY.ITS GOING TO GET A LOT WORSE BEFORE IT SWINGS AROUND AGAIN I FEEL.THE POOR WILL GET POORE THE RICH WILL ENJOY THE SPOILS..

The gasohol and diesel tax reduction is Bt1, reducing the taxes to Bt2.30 a litre and the government expects prices to come down by Bt1.

The government decided not to remove subsidies on household cooking gas. It says prices will remain at today's level.

The government will pay water bills for low-income households that consume fewer than 50 cubic litres each month. It will do likewise for households that consume fewer than 80 units of electricity a month.

For those using up to 150 units a month, the government will pay half.

Provincial Electricity Authority chief Adisorn Kiatchokewiwat believes it will cost Bt7.1 billion to meet this promise.

"The measure will benefit around 9.5 million households," Adisorn says.

Free bus and train rides

Bangkok's worst off will get free public transport on non air-conditioned buses. In all, the poor can ride about 800 buses plying the capital's streets for free.

The state will reimburse the bus companies. It expects the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority to shoulder losses of Bt1.4 billion.

Third-class train seats to all destinations will be paid for by the state.

"The excise measures should be an incentive to boost consumption of alternative fuel and the Energy Ministry will ensure supplies of biodiesel and gasohol are sufficient," says Energy Minister Poonpirom Liptapanlop.

These are mostly measures that will increase energy consumption by subsidising it. Exactly what Thailand doesn't need as the world's 14th largest oil importer.

By distorting the true cost of energy Thailand will use more instead of conserving it and altering patterns of behaviour and consumption to adapt to a high energy cost world.

Why on earth does the government think shuttling poor people around is beneficial to the economy?

I would much prefer if they subsidise the rice price. At least then the distortion in consumption patterns leads to an increase in consumption of something that Thailand is self-sufficient in and doesn't lead to misallocation of resources into unsustainable energy use patterns.