British Embassy - Jomtien Branch

NanLaew

I read a few months back that the British Embassy was establishing a local 'full-time' presence, setting up in an office near to the Jomtien Immigration office. Are they open for business yet?

If so, do they accept passport renewals and birth registrations there or do these tasks still require a personal appearance at the 'head office' in Bangkok?

Many thanks,

NL

It will only offer consular services, nothing too technical. Verifying pension income, dealing with crime against British/ criminal Brits, dealing with deaths etc. You will still have to go to Bangkok for anything more than that (although I did recently get a new passport by post).

Not sure when they are opening, or if they have yet, I'm afraid.

It will only offer consular services, nothing too technical. Verifying pension income, dealing with crime against British/ criminal Brits, dealing with deaths etc. You will still have to go to Bangkok for anything more than that (although I did recently get a new passport by post).

Not sure when they are opening, or if they have yet, I'm afraid.

You took a risk receiving your passport by post didn't you?

As far as I know, it is just Consular services offered, with Barry Kenyon getting a permanent home at last, instead of his daily coffee-shop surgery.

I read a few months back that the British Embassy was establishing a local 'full-time' presence, setting up in an office near to the Jomtien Immigration office. Are they open for business yet?

If so, do they accept passport renewals and birth registrations there or do these tasks still require a personal appearance at the 'head office' in Bangkok?

Many thanks,

NL

While your at the embassy perhaps you could sponsor the " lady" who you think would be an asset to your business as you stated on another posting here today?

Roy gsd :o:D

(although I did recently get a new passport by post).

A bit iff topic, but Sweetchariot, where did you get the passport photo in Pattaya? I am about to renew my passport and the British Embassy website has a lot of new rules about the photo ? or certainly appears to.

Thanks for the help

Doesn't look like they've opened yet, or anywhere near, the last time I looked ( about a week ago) the unit remained empty. Barry Kenyon still provides his limited services outside the coffee shop 9.00 - 9.30 as far as I know.

A bit iff topic, but Sweetchariot, where did you get the passport photo in Pattaya? I am about to renew my passport and the British Embassy website has a lot of new rules about the photo ? or certainly appears to.

Thanks for the help

If you are going to BKK to renew your passport, then there is a photo shop in the mall opposite and to the right of the embassy that know how to produce the correct photographs. I doubt anyone in Pattaya would know the exact specifications.

Thanks for the help

If you are going to BKK to renew your passport, then there is a photo shop in the mall opposite and to the right of the embassy that know how to produce the correct photographs. I doubt anyone in Pattaya would know the exact specifications.

Ok - thanks - I was originally planning to pop up to Bangkok, then thought maybe I would EMS it instead - save a trip to the Embassy.

You took a risk receiving your passport by post didn't you?

Well I had intended to travel to BKK, but it meant 2 trips (delivery and collection), and not knowing BKK at all it seemed like a royal pain in the arse. I spoke to the embassy beforehand and they told me they have never had a problem with passports going missing, so I took a punt. I sent it by DHL, and they returned it by EMS, which still required a signature so seemed quite safe.

PS I did take copies of all the relevant pages as an extra safeguard.

Thanks for the help

I printed the photo guidelines from the FCO website, and went to a photo shop on 2nd road, a few doors before Lek hotel. My g/f explained the importance of getting it right, and there was a picture showing proportions etc. They didn't have a white or cream background but took it on a grey background and photoshopped it.

I was half expecting a call to say the photos were unacceptable, but there was no problem. I think they over-exaggerate the guidelines so even simpletons realise that a holiday snap with sunglasses is unacceptable.

edit - spelling

Edited by sweetchariot

I had my passport photo done in a kodak shop on Pattaya Klang, i just took her the details from the embassy website and she made the photo accordingly no problem.

I also went to Bangkok and renewed it rather than trust the postal system !

I had my passport photo done in a kodak shop on Pattaya Klang, i just took her the details from the embassy website and she made the photo accordingly no problem.

I also went to Bangkok and renewed it rather than trust the postal system !

There's a good little photo shop on Soi Buakhao - east side of the road - before Soi Lengkee (about 100m before),

He always does visa/passport photos for me - never a problem.

To go to UK Consulate / Embassy in BKK I usually take a limo to On Nut Skyway station - then catch the train to the station past Nana (can't recall the name) - get out on the same side of the road as you've been travelling - and turn right. Embasst compound entrance a few metres up on the other side of the road. No problem, very quick.

• 1 month later...