Cheaper imported wine!

george

Apparently the Thais are consuming more and more wine, but whiskey is still the drink of drinks. I don't quite know why. I'd take a good bottle of red over a bottle of Johnnie Walker anyday. But I suppose price is key. A bottle of whiskey can take care of you and all your friends for the night. A bottle of wine doesn't last so long.

What can we say about the new excise rates with regard to vodka and other imported distilled beverages? All the vodka I've ever seen in Thailand is imported and I've wondered why no local enterprising distiller has come out with a local brand. Any kind of vodka beats the local 'whisky' up and down the street. A nice fifth of Smirnoff for 300 baht would be nice...cheap brands for 150 baht...right on.

What can we say about the new excise rates with regard to vodka and other imported distilled beverages? All the vodka I've ever seen in Thailand is imported and I've wondered why no local enterprising distiller has come out with a local brand. Any kind of vodka beats the local 'whisky' up and down the street. A nice fifth of Smirnoff for 300 baht would be nice...cheap brands for 150 baht...right on.

You could always make your own vodka. It's easy enough!

:o

• 2 months later...

Wine export benefit

Wednesday, 29 October 2003

THE historic Free Trade Agreement between Australia and Thailand is set to harvest massive benefits for Western Australian wine producers.

The new FTA-agreed upon by Prime Minister John Howard and his Thailand counterpart Thaksin Shinawatra last month-will see wine tariffs reduced from the current level of 54.6 per cent to 40 per cent, once the FTA meets Parliamentry approval.

Wine tarriffs will then be gradually phased out over a 12-year period.

Wine Industry Association of WA chief executive officer Sarah Dent said the FTA would open up brand new markets for WA wine growers.

"Thailand has substantial potential as an export market, so we are delighted about the terms of the FTA," she said.

WA wine growers export approximately 40,000 litres of wine, or $290,000 worth, to the diminutive Pacific nation.

Thailand ranks in the top 25 countries for Australian wine imports.

"With the number of five-star resorts and wealthy consumers, Thailand could emerge as a boom market for WA wineries," Mrs Dent said.

Foreign Affairs Department spokesperson Justin Brown said the FTA provided Australian wineries with an upper hand in what was an intensly competitive market.

"Countries such as New Zealand, the US, France, Italy and Spain will all still have to suffer from wine tariffs in the future," Mr Brown said.

"Australian wineries now have a distinct competitive advantage in the marketplace."

Evans and Tate general trading manager Steve McCarthy said he expected current exports, roughly 400 cases a year, to skyrocket once the FTA took effect.

"I don't expect there to much change initially, however within the next three to five years, I think we will probably triple our business [in Thailand]," Mr McCarthy said.

Despite the good news for WA wineries, Amberley Estate general manager Eddie Prince urged patience and warned against a head-first rush into the soon-to-be opened Thai market.

"The tarriff removal is fantastic news and certainly we would look into expanding our operations there," Mr Prince said.

"I think for the time being though, we will go slowly and find the right agent and have a careful look at the market before moving in."

The Australian wine industry is worth more than $2billion dollars a year, with Asian exports acounting for $100 million.

Thai exports reap a total of $4 million a year for Australian wineries

--Margaret River 2003-10-29

tutsiwarrior...there is a brand which retails for about 160 baht for 750mls.. don t know where it is made...but the russian sounding name is something like rubishka... at the bar where i normally drink a bottle turned up on the shelf... in the interests of science a had a straight shot of it....arrrgh..

I had noticed the connotations of the name...and I think I should have trusted my instincts... it is a shocker...attrocious :o

You could all go to Frisco and drink wine that here would be "IMPORTED",cheap prices and heavy alcohol content,up to 17%, GALLO PORT, WHITE PORT AND LEMON JUICE,Mad Dog 20-20,MUSCATELL,#### you name it and you could live in the gutter and missions just like the other winos,I did,but gave that shit up 23 years ago.

Or you can come over to my house where my bro in law has a still running in my back yard and makin whiskey from a mash of sticky rice and yeast/enzymes, even got some aged stuff[that is stuff that is old enough to get cool] Johnny walker black is 15 years,,his black label is 15 min.

One tip on buying wine,,first look at the price,,next look at the alcohlol content,then put it under your coat and get the ###### out.