Thai Airlines - Good And Bad

jimmym40

Thai airways isn't considered safe either by many Pro pilots on a discussion forum I visit . In fact only 2 airlines in the SE Asia region are and that's Singapore and Malaysia

Not sure about which forum that is but I do not agree. Safety among SE asian airlines is on about par if u ask me (I would put Thai personally way ahead of Malaysian). The safest airline in asia I would have to go with CX. SIA is fairly good except CX training of flightdeck crew is too a much higher standard than SIA.

SIA tends to use ex-singapore airforce pilots who have low hours, no airline experience and dont always make the best airline crews. Also SIA is a bit who you know mentality in the ranks of the crews.

At the end of the day I will fly Thai, Singapore, Malaysian, Vietnam, CX, Airasia. Airlines I will not fly on are mainland chinese.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to fly with Thai quite a bit between LHR and BKK over the last 8 years. Their planes are old and their in flight entertainment is crap. however their seat spacing is the widest (34") which allows me at 5ft 8" to stretch out with my feet under the seat in front and get a good nights sleep.

I got fed up with being stiffed with half airmiles on what were expensive tickets. Its a minor issue, but I do not like being stiffed and as a result I will be flying with TG only as a last result. So much for customer loyalty programs.

As for alternatives

EVA and KLM. Baggage surcharges are an important profit center to them. You will be surprised at how much they will try and gouge you for. I almost flew with EVA (my thai plane was broken) they wanted 950 pounds for being 7kg over their baggage allowance!; so I flew thai next day 3kg under the limit.

Singapore. their service is good as is their in flight entertainment. but their seat spacing is a little too short to be comfortable and their various budget airline threats as to what will happen if you are late for check in fail to impress me. Still I am looking forward to trying their A380's

BA, Quantus, Lufthanser All fine but again the seat spacing is not good for comfortable sleeping. Quantus do seem to have a passion for telling you what the law does now allow you to do before the plane takes off; which makes you wonder what they think of their customers.

Emirates. i have flown between bkk and hkk; and found them to be as good as singapore. I have never flown long haul with them; given Dubai's love of banging up travelers for having pain killers in their urine, 3 bread seeds on their shirt and 1000th of a gram of cannabis on the bottom on their shoe; why bother going.

One reason planes can get stuffy; the plane has to compress and heat their air that they low into the cabin; I have been told by a number of air crew that reducing the airflow in to the cabin can save 100's of pounds in fuel costs on a long haul flight

I have joined up to this forum to specifically reply to this.

All I want to know is what justifications does Thai Airways have to charge such ludicrous fares?

We work at the New Zealand Embassy, and we are considering changing our preferred airline because of the massive gap between Thai Airways and other competitors.

I’ve never had an issue with their service or their products, however its certainly not worth paying up to 50% more than flying with another airline.

Sorry TG, your extreme prices are unjust, especially now that the price of oil has hit its lowest price in over 17 months (Reuters).

If this is your way of trying to make up for your recent quarterly loss, you can forget about the loyalty many of your customers have shown.

Don’t you realise that people will opt for other options if your prices are so out of range? Where will that leave the airline then? Hopefully not in the same situation as Alitalia.

Not disagreeing with your points. Most are on the money actually.

Which airlines fly to NZ these days, Qantas, Emirates, SQ, Malaysian? Do they all stop in Australia first or are there non-stops?

Thanks

James

Edited by bkkjames

I have joined up to this forum to specifically reply to this.

All I want to know is what justifications does Thai Airways have to charge such ludicrous fares?

We work at the New Zealand Embassy, and we are considering changing our preferred airline because of the massive gap between Thai Airways and other competitors.

I've never had an issue with their service or their products, however its certainly not worth paying up to 50% more than flying with another airline.

Sorry TG, your extreme prices are unjust, especially now that the price of oil has hit its lowest price in over 17 months (Reuters).

If this is your way of trying to make up for your recent quarterly loss, you can forget about the loyalty many of your customers have shown.

Don't you realise that people will opt for other options if your prices are so out of range? Where will that leave the airline then? Hopefully not in the same situation as Alitalia.

Not disagreeing with your points. Most are on the money actually.

Which airlines fly to NZ these days, Qantas, Emirates, SQ, Malaysian? Do they all stop in Australia first or are there non-stops?

Thanks

James

Given our remote location, and our tiny population, you would be suprised how many airlines do.

SQ, Malaysia, TG, Qantas, Emirates, Royal Brunei and of course Jetstar.

Of all of these airlines, TG are the only carrier that flies direct, which I'm sure they are aware of.

What gets me annoyed is that recently I searched for a fare for my mother to come to Thailand for a holiday.

TG $2500

Air NZ $1500 (Noting that it was a TG flight, but was codeshare as AirNZ)

If that doesnt speak volumes, what does?

Im not one to boast about our own airline, friends would tell you im the last to compliment anything from New Zealand, but for a good price, you get good service, a good quality product and its the only airline to offer a daily around-the-world service on the one airline.

AKL-HKG-LHR-LAX-AKL

Pretty good for a country in the middle of nothing aye lol

Edited by NZ1325

I'm trying to arrange a direct flight from BKK to LHR for My Thai GF and my son 1 &1/2 yr old can anyone give me a contact number or web address to sort this? I really would appreciate any help as I'm tired of chasing web flights for 15000 BHT only to discover they are actually 45000 BHT!!! We want economy best value etc....

Cheers guys

Neil.

I used to fly with Thai between Europe ( Holland, germany and Zurich ) and Bangkok from around 1993 and 2004 on a bi weekly basis and was off-course a Gold Card member.

In the first few years it was very good with good service and many up grades as a frequent flyer but after a few years it went from bad to worse.

Old airplanes with outdated service and equipment and never a upgarde or something like that any more.

In my opinion it was a airline which grow to fast and could not keep up with that.

Last jolli instead of Thai we tried Ettihad via Abu D and not too bad. :D

Maybe not quite as "smooth as silk "as Thai and I did miss the Lounges at both ends but the grub/booze in the Magic bar at Suwanna was very good and awfully reasonable (40 bt a Heine)

Etti has a good ents systems,decent headphones and new planes although seats a wee bit tight but on the way back not too busy so could stretch out.

Saved just over £500 quid on the tickets which we used to buys our six new cows .....so...... 'Moo'... to Thai...... :o

Also got enough air miles for a flight to Bombay......eh.....??

TG still lost the plot!

First week Nov BKK-SIN Return 2nd week Nov.

More or less same Dep. Arr. Times bar a few minutes. Flexible Ticket with Airmiles accrual.

TG = 13265 (Website price)

SQ = 9750 (Website Price)

Now bearing in mind the in-flight service / seats / IFE / Food and Drinks Quality / Aircraft Age of SQ compared to TG which would you fly.....no brainer right.

When will TG ever learn they are offering an inferior product for 3500 THB more......Even with the current airline and travel industry climate.

Good luck to them I fear a goverment bail out shortly for TG.

Edited by dekka007

I have been with Thai airways a few times and thought it is one of the best when it comes to service. Singapore Airlines also is very impressive. Ive been with Qantas once it was very very bad, never again. BA is not great but I like the service also.

I guess it just depends

Fortunately, you can get their tickets much more affordably through other sites.

Actually TG website allows u to choose all booking fare classes in Economy.

Perhaps but not more than 3500 THB cheaper to match SQ...more like 1500 cheaper.

Edited by dekka007

Flying Bangkok to New Zealand on TG April 2009 = B63000

Flying Bangkok to New Zealand on EK April 2009 = B37000

PLEASE EXPLAIN TG......................................

There is nothing to explain. :o

TG has big financial troubles... and I don't even talk about the internal management issues.

Therefore, to increase prices is the only rational thing to do for the lunatics that pretend to "manage" this airlines (generals, colonels, politicians, the maid of the cousin of the general, and other crooks).

http://www.bangkokpost.com/091008_Business...t2008_biz31.php

''The situation has deteriorated from bad to worse, well beyond our expectation. [it] is becoming more critical for us to reassess our frequencies,'' executive vice-president Pandit Chanapai said.

For the first half of this year, THAI posted a loss of 7.04 billion baht.

Edited by cclub75

Flew on Thai from Australia last week. Plane was new, good inseat entertainment, food was ok, staff were good. Baggage allowance, surprisingly not a peep when I checked on 2 suitcases weighing 32+kg total for economy travel.

If anyone has frequent flyer points to redeem then maybe the Australian routes might be worth a look as my flight was only 20% full. Either the prices are too high (my ticket was reasonably priced) or the horrendous Australian exchange rate is taking its toll. I know a few people who visit Thailand for medical treatment and everything is on hold due to the drop in the exchange rate.

I fly Thai regular in Business Class from BKK to Seoul and I think they are probably the worst Business class seats I've ever travelled in.Planes old,Entertainment system crap,just absolutely shocking.The only plus point is business class is empty ever time so its like flying on a private plane.If your wondering why I continue to fly with them.....I dont pay for it thats why !!!

EPG.

When they are good they can excel.

Couple of years ago I got a promo deal for 90 K airmiles.

London- Bangers -Sydney R/T (usual holiday on the way back in CM) and all in First Class.

On the last leg down to Auz I was the only passenger but couldnt eat anything...FULL UP......nice one.

London- Bangers -Sydney R/T (usual holiday on the way back in CM) and all in First Class.

On the last leg down to Auz I was the only passenger but couldnt eat anything...FULL UP......nice one.

Rinrada. I like your avatar of the Black Friar...But haven't you knicked it from the pubs.com website...? Shame on you :D:o

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Rinrada. I like your avatar of the Black Friar...But haven't you knicked it from the pubs.com website...? Shame on you :D:o

RAZZ

Razz...spot it.....it is indeed ... :D

One of my Excape Committees regular pub crawls... :D

Usually start off in the Cheshire Cheese in Fleet St.then hit the BF and after move on up towards Smithfields....the Red Cow,Cloth and Shears,Hope,Dogs Billoxs,the Belgium Pub,Nags Head and usually finish in the Jerusulam in Brittain St and yes did nick it .....oops....

Usually start off in the Cheshire Cheese in Fleet St.then hit the BF and after move on up towards Smithfields....the Red Cow,Cloth and Shears,Hope,Dogs Billoxs,the Belgium Pub,Nags Head and usually finish in the Jerusulam in Brittain St and yes did nick it .....oops....

If you're in that neck of the woods, you should try Thai Square in Fleet St in the old Wig and Pen. Not bad Thai grub and some cute waitresses :o

RAZZ

Flew from Phuket to Bangers last night. I would like to thank TG for giving me the runs courtesy of the tunafish sandwiches I ate. (Yes I know, what was I thinking, little piggy me.) Only meal I had eaten that day and it kicked in right out of the textbook. The Airubus they were using (300-330 I think) had worn seats and those old rotary dial controls for the audio control. Hello? 1990 was long ago.

Couple weeks ago, I went on B777 which I thought were new, but they looked like the 1st series and again had out of date dirty interiors. TG now reminds me of US Airways and Alitalia.

I have flown Thai BKK-ICN rtn business class regularly for the last 2 years, yes I agree the planes are not the newest around, but the service has always been excellant, which cannot be said about the food.

The quality of the food seems to have gone down as the price of tickets goes up! Recently flew BKK-MAD rtn on Thai Royal First, again service was excellant, just my wife and me going out in 1st class section, but the food was terrible and if a Thai lady won't eat you know its bad!!!!!!

Airmile credits; still waiting for the TAP flights to be added to our ROP accounts even though the MAD-LIS boarding passes were issued by Thai at the BKK Royal First check-in desk.

The only GOOD thing I can say about Thai Airways is they are the only airline which flies non-stop from Perth (Australia) to BKK. Their ticket prices are about the same as Singapore Airlines on that route. Now - do I spend 2.5 hours at Changi Airport each way between PER and BKK and fly in a near new plane - or do I 'take a chance' on Thai?

Peter

One of my Excape Committees regular pub crawls... :(

If you're in that neck of the woods, you should try Thai Square in Fleet St in the old Wig and Pen. Not bad Thai grub and some cute waitresses :D

RAZZ

Been in a number of the Thai Squares but this must be a new one...so the old Wig and Pen has gone :D

Thai Mate has just taken over the 'Lakorn Thai ' at the Angel,Islington (next to Saddlers Wells) and I just spent this afternoon (purely by co-incid) getting his heating sorted out so onced he is fully up and running I will arranged

for a discount for ALL Thai Visas members (in the Smoke ..of course)

It used to be a pretty famous hangout years ago..oldest T rest in North London and customers that have eaten there include.. Tina Turner,Mick Jagger,Mr Bean,Clive james ...and all that crowd......but it went a bit down hill so we gotta boost the score....must get some Xmas lights... :D ....and even sell Chang..... :o

post-13-1226432667_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you're in that neck of the woods, you should try Thai Square in Fleet St in the old Wig and Pen. Not bad Thai grub and some cute waitresses :D

RAZZ

Been in a number of the Thai Squares but this must be a new one...so the old Wig and Pen has gone :D

Thai Mate has just taken over the 'Lakorn Thai ' at the Angel,Islington (next to Saddlers Wells) and I just spent this afternoon (purely by co-incid) getting his heating sorted out so onced he is fully up and running I will arranged

for a discount for ALL Thai Visas members (in the Smoke ..of course)

It used to be a pretty famous hangout years ago..oldest T rest in North London and customers that have eaten there include.. Tina Turner,Mick Jagger,Mr Bean,Clive james ...and all that crowd......but it went a bit down hill so we gotta boost the score....must get some Xmas lights... :( ....and even sell Chang..... :D

post-13-1226432667_thumb.jpg

The Thai Square in Strand/Fleet st (opposite the Dragon in the middle of the road) has been open about a year?

Maybe your mate should put a few "Hello...Welcum" girls outside. They'd love that in Islington! :o

RAZZ

A month ago I flew TG646 and the plane was brand new. No wonder the crew distributed passenger survey envelopes 1 hour before landing.

The machine was HS-TJS, less than 2 years old.

New Thai Airways B-777 HS-TJS

So new, that it had "Electronic devices off" sign instead of "No smoking".

The seats were beautiful but still short of even better (no laptop power plugs, the seat under your knees can not be adjusted).

The entertainment system was - I don't know I only watch flight progress - but it was very nice, almost like Google earth.

The food and drinks were usual rubbish, junk lunch had chicken skin and was inedible. Service with ANA/JAL is so much better. ANA or JAL serve small bottles of good champagne in economy. 3 of those would be 50$ in a bar. The food is restaurant quality (comes on a hot stone pad, almost sizzling).

Japanese planes are consistantly new (although not as new as this HS-TJS).

IMO, just in food and drinks and service Japanese carriers are worth 150$ more.

Ironically, that is how much cheaper ANA/JAL are!

I also flew to and from BKK with Thai on one of these aircraft recently. The plane was great, and it did have universal power plugs under the seats. The entertainment system is great with movies on demand & the ability to watch the plane take off on your personal screen.

The food while not great, was not too bad. I found the service to be mediocre. The staff all looked bored and there were not many smiles to be seen on both flights. This was dissapoiting. There were many times when I made my own way to the galley to get drinks, which I thought was pretty lazy on their part. I would fly Thai again, but only if the price is right & I have the same type of new aircraft.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I have just replied on another thread on this forum regarding Thai Airways promotions.  The procedures to follow to get a new pin if you are a Royal Orchid Member, or to try to update your profile, to me, is very complicated and quite frankly hilarious.

I got to thinking later today that really what is the point of us all complaining to each other on these threads.  Although information shared here can often be helpful, does Thai Airways really care, does their marketing section read our complaints and suggestions for improvements? 

Here is my suggestion; go to the website, at the very top of the page they have a feedback form. You dont have to have been on a flight with them to fill this out, send it in.  Maybe not a good idea if everybody on Thaivisa did this at the same time (computers might crash or something). Might have to wait a year or so, who knows, could be interesting.  :o

Thai Airways hmm

The good: dont know if there is anything good about them

the bad: to long of a list

1. Website should be improved

2. Service is like a 2 - 3 Star rating

3. Think thai airways should give up any notion of being as good as cathay pacific, singapore airlines, etc

4. The planes, who knew planes could look so old, never seen them this bad until I flew thai airways

5. Are the planes even services or maintained?? Now thats a thought

6. Interior design, maybe thailand is stuck in the 80's or 90's

done complaining, I only fly certain carriers, korean airways, cathay pacific, singapore airlines. Maybe thai airways should hire a outsider foreigner to come in and shake things up, doesn't seem like thai airways will be arriving in the 21st century anytime soon