Thai Airlines - Good And Bad

jimmym40

No need to pay anything with TG ROP silver entitles you to 30KG and silver is easily obtainable.

After getting pissed off with Qantas last year (if you think redeeming award flights with Thai is difficult, you should try Qantas).

Now I am Gold card with Thai and no complaints, again Gold was achieved faster than with QF. I have redeemed three award flights in the last year, no problems, maybe I was jus lucky. I know the aircraft on BKK LHR tend to be older 747's but the twice daily MEL - BKK service uses only the newest 777's, and the flights are usually at or near capacity, Qantas do not even fly direct MEL - BKK, not enough demand.

Fares ex Australia are usually competitive, and I think cabin service is very good.

When you attained *Gold, did you use the free upgrade return flight? If so, were there any complications to it?

I'm hoping to get *Gold late this year and get a cheap business flight LON-SYD next year.

I sure did, booked Melbourne Dubai, no problems at all, had to take an economy fare that was about $150 more than the cheapest on offer, no big deal, the booking wasn't treated as an award booking i.e. subject to limited availability.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the aircraft on BKK LHR tend to be older 747's but the twice daily MEL - BKK service uses only the newest 777's, and the flights are usually at or near capacity, Qantas do not even fly direct MEL - BKK, not enough demand.

Fares ex Australia are usually competitive, and I think cabin service is very good.

Only the newest? No chance they send any plane of the same type that is scheduled to be available?

Last time I saw a DC-10 in my life was in Melbourne, the TG plane. They are dead now or with some Air Afrique Cargo. That tells you how much they cared about such an "important" destination as Melbourne is - sent DC-10s until they got scrapped.

I flew 8 times on their 777 and never been on the same one twice. Out of 20 B-777, only 6 are new.

First time now that I had in-seat screen, and that was to a destination few people know even exists (Nagoya) and only 1 more carrier (JAL) with brand new B-777 maintains the direct route to BKK.

And why would they allocate their best planes to serve a place where even national carrier (Qantas) said goodbye and cesaed operations between BKK (and recently, Tokyo)?

Would'nt they rather send them to Tokyo where brand new planes of ANA and JAL ply the route 10 times a day?

Even there one can see TG's new plane only sporadically.

Coming back to BKK next Easter - flew Thai last time - planes were poor - old 747s with no facilities - even my holiday charter flights to Greece on 737s were better equipped!

Agree about price - £650 this year they want £850 next - thinking of going Prem Econ on BA for £100 more

///snip///

After getting pissed off with Qantas last year (if you think redeeming award flights with Thai is difficult, you should try Qantas).

///snip///

Now THAT is very true - in my experience, redeeming Star Alliance airmiles is usually much easier than their One World counterparts. I used to hold a One World gold card (Cathay) as well as the Star Alliance one I still have (Singapore) - I have managed to redeem regional biz class tickets (SIN-BKK-SIN on CX) a few times but I am convinced that One World have a policy of not allowing long haul, biz class redemptions because it is always "sorry, not available"! (And yes I am too fat to go economy long haul even if it is free)

That really, really p*sses me off given how much money Cathay, Qantas and BA have made out of me over the years - so that's why I never fly One World anymore...

Won't make the slightest bit of difference of course to One World's marketing policy but it makes me feel better :o

I used Thai airline for 5 years for all my Bkk - London trips i had to go Eva for one of the trips and will not be going back to Thai airlines unless i cant get a seat on Eva . Imho Eva is a much better plane its same price as Thai so that does it for me .

JB

///snip///

///snip///

Now THAT is very true - in my experience, redeeming Star Alliance airmiles is usually much easier than their One World counterparts. I used to hold a One World gold card (Cathay) as well as the Star Alliance one I still have (Singapore) - I have managed to redeem regional biz class tickets (SIN-BKK-SIN on CX) a few times but I am convinced that One World have a policy of not allowing long haul, biz class redemptions because it is always "sorry, not available"! (And yes I am too fat to go economy long haul even if it is free)

That really, really p*sses me off given how much money Cathay, Qantas and BA have made out of me over the years - so that's why I never fly One World anymore...

Won't make the slightest bit of difference of course to One World's marketing policy but it makes me feel better :D

Just booked return biz this week LHR/BKK with BA to leave on Friday. You just have to keep checking, if they can't sell the biz seats they'll put them up for redemption. They have just improved the website, checking the availability is way easier than it used to be as you can glance by months at a time.

I guess I just got lucky as pretty unusual to get a Friday out flight in biz on the miles, the plane must be empty :o

I've noticed that many posters recently had negative comments about Thai Airlines. I am a part of that group. Please if you would, post here what/why you've switched airlines instead of flying with Thai. I also noticed there were many GOLD members jumping ship - me included.

I would like to gather all comments here and send to management in Thai airlines to give them some feedback.

I fly twice a month and I had been flying Thai but I have changed to Singapore simply because the Thai planes are old and have no entertainment system on just about all of the planes. I will say however that there in-flight service is still very good I am not talking about food I am refering to there staff they are always pleasant and dont mind serving you!. Shame about the Aircraft.

Although I have not been impressed with Thai’s high prices and generally old aircraft with poor in-flight service facilities for a while now I have to say that their customer service phone system has improved dramatically and recent calls to their Call Centre were answered by a human being within 1 minute and also were efficiently handled.

When they resume the JFK to BKK I will use them. But until then, it's Cathay Pacific.

Unfortunately this wont happen as all the planes, the Airbus 340-500, were taken out of service and are up for sale right now. 2 of them are parked in front of Thai Airways Technical. Rumour is that Turkish Airlines may take them. Pitty is, that TG specifically bought these planes to serve that Nonstop Route, called the New York Express. If the Economy wouldnt slow down and Fuel Prices would be steady then we would have seen another TG Nonstop Service (besides JFK and LAX) to ORD (Chicago) next year (2009).Unfortunately this aint happen either and now the big question is, can TG sale these planes without not losing to much money? Probably not, given the fact that this kind type is a "long ranger". I flew Kennedy to Bangkok several times and always loved that flight. Load Factor was always above 80%, but the fuel prices were a killer lately and due to the very long distance TG couldnt carry any cargo on these flights either.

When they resume the JFK to BKK I will use them. But until then, it's Cathay Pacific.

If the Economy wouldnt slow down and Fuel Prices would be steady then we would have seen another TG Nonstop Service (besides JFK and LAX) to ORD (Chicago) next year (2009).Unfortunately this aint happen either and now the big question is, can TG sale these planes without not losing to much money? Probably not, given the fact that this kind type is a "long ranger". I flew Kennedy to Bangkok several times and always loved that flight. Load Factor was always above 80%, but the fuel prices were a killer lately and due to the very long distance TG couldnt carry any cargo on these flights either.

Singapore Airlines is still OK with those routes.

That probably shows how many more regional APJ offices are hosted in Singapore than in BKK.

Many more high paying and downturn independant (non leisure) biz class passengers.

There was an SQ ad in The Economist "All business class non-stop flight to New York".

Edited by think_too_mut

The last time I used Thai Airways was 4 years ago as EVA Air was fully booked. Good flight from BKK-LHR, but coming back they used a tatty old Star Alliance rust-bucket. I am sure it was perfectly safe, but everything was old and worn and it just was not what I would expect of Thai air.

The last time I used Thai Airways was 4 years ago as EVA Air was fully booked. Good flight from BKK-LHR, but coming back they used a tatty old Star Alliance rust-bucket. I am sure it was perfectly safe, but everything was old and worn and it just was not what I would expect of Thai air.

What did you expect? 90% of their planes are scrap metal.

Those new A340-500 are grounded and for sale.

Only 6 of 20 B777s are new and good. That's where people get lucky with TG.

What did you expect? 90% of their planes are scrap metal.

Those new A340-500 are grounded and for sale.

Only 6 of 20 B777s are new and good. That's where people get lucky with TG.

Sounds about right :o

I always fly Eva Air. The planes are in good condition, if a little cramped now with less toilets and room on the new Jumbo to the UK. Mind you, I was lucky that I bought my ticket for November before their prices increased - the prices have gone up a lot! Once I have used up my air miles next year, I will look for another cheaper airline (sadly). It certanly won't be Thai Air though from all the bad information I have heard about them from Thai Visa!!!

I really liked TG flight to LAX because they were nonstop.

Now they are only direct.

Their prices are ridiculous! My RT BKK-LAX ticket cost me 66,000 baht while for KE/JAL/EVA/ANA only costs 40,000 baht.

The only other flight they had which no other had was AKL-BKK. Which might get cancelled soon.

I don't think there is a TG flight anymore where TG is the best value.

Their redemption plans are ridiculous also unless you book something like 1 year in advance.

For all TG's failings, their webpage is a million % better than EVA's...

I have to disagree with the ease of their webpage in comparison with Eva. Eva's page is very user friendly. Thai and China Airlines have very difficult pages to navigate.

I find EVA's page hideous functionally and aesthetically.. Plus I wasn't impressed when they screwed me around over frequent flyer points because I bought a ticket without using my middle name on the booking.

I do think EVA are missing a trick by not coordinating their LHR-TPE flights with TPE-BNE (Brisbane). The kangaroo route is rather lucrative.

• 1 month later...

Have you ever noticed how hot and stuffy it gets on Thai long haul flight? I think it is because they cut down the oxygen to save weight. I have asked Thai about this a few times and never get a reply. They reply to other comments, but not his one. The silence says everything.

I really want to fly Thai but poor planes and too high prices mean that 1 trip was enough for me

Thai was quite efficient raising prices and fuel surcharges when the oil price was high.... Not so eager to reduce prices / surcharges now, are they?

If any frequent milege is missing from a Skyteam account, a few clicks on their website and they will find the missing miles and credit them. Thai? Oh you must retain the original boarding cards, and pay for a courier to guarantee receipt of your claim, and keep a copy to do it again when they deny receipt anyway, and wait 8 weeks or more, Lucky they have an expensive computer system.....

Have you ever noticed how hot and stuffy it gets on Thai long haul flight? I think it is because they cut down the oxygen to save weight. I have asked Thai about this a few times and never get a reply. They reply to other comments, but not his one. The silence says everything.

It's called "coshing". Basically they raise the cabin temperature to make people drowsy. Therefore less work for the Crew :o

I agree with lot's of the above. Five years ago I paid £376 for a return flight in economy LHR-BKK. In August it was nearly £800. Both were with full TG airmiles.

I have had one "free" flight - cost was just the airport taxes and fuel taxes...at the time about £120. It was impossible to upgrade for the dates I wanted.

I was told they only have about 6 (?) Business class seats per plane available for "reward travel". When you realise how many people have TG Gold cards, the number of Thai Airways employees that want to travel, government officials etc you can see the chances of getting the dates you want are pretty slim.

Will persevere - mainly because I like the night flights from LHR - until I get the "Gold"one :D

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

I have joined up to this forum to specifically reply to this.

All I want to know is what justifications does Thai Airways have to charge such ludicrous fares?

We work at the New Zealand Embassy, and we are considering changing our preferred airline because of the massive gap between Thai Airways and other competitors.

I’ve never had an issue with their service or their products, however its certainly not worth paying up to 50% more than flying with another airline.

Sorry TG, your extreme prices are unjust, especially now that the price of oil has hit its lowest price in over 17 months (Reuters).

If this is your way of trying to make up for your recent quarterly loss, you can forget about the loyalty many of your customers have shown.

Don’t you realise that people will opt for other options if your prices are so out of range? Where will that leave the airline then? Hopefully not in the same situation as Alitalia.

I know an entire thread on this subject was removed but since the National papers have reported on it and and 2 airlines were grounded last July finally ( too late however ) for safety violations perhaps the subject is not forbidden anymore

I do not think any Thai airline is safe, too much dirt has been dug up after the 1-2 go crash in Phuket that points to Thai DCA not doing a competent regulating airlines OR airports.

Thai airways isn't considered safe either by many Pro pilots on a discussion forum I visit . In fact only 2 airlines in the SE Asia region are and that's Singapore and Malaysia . Air Asia was the subject of a report in Asia Times ( I think ) about having planes up in the air for more than average, and not changing tires enough, etc, wherever pennies could be pinched...

I will not Fly Thai

i fly thai all the time cause of the young and suay stewardess :D

i dont want to fly Quantas or american with them old ass ladies!!

chai mai???

Expensive yes i do agree :o

it does suck when you get an old plane with no screen in front off you.......

Edited by junki3korean

I know an entire thread on this subject was removed but since the National papers have reported on it and and 2 airlines were grounded last July finally ( too late however ) for safety violations perhaps the subject is not forbidden anymore

I do not think any Thai airline is safe, too much dirt has been dug up after the 1-2 go crash in Phuket that points to Thai DCA not doing a competent regulating airlines OR airports.

Thai airways isn't considered safe either by many Pro pilots on a discussion forum I visit . In fact only 2 airlines in the SE Asia region are and that's Singapore and Malaysia . Air Asia was the subject of a report in Asia Times ( I think ) about having planes up in the air for more than average, and not changing tires enough, etc, wherever pennies could be pinched...

I will not Fly Thai

What about Cathay? Suppose not technically in SEA but fly plenty of routes in this area (including SIN-BKK which I sometimes do)...