Are bars open?

prostarter

I think ALMOST ALL the pubs/bars will be closed tonight, and the ones that stay open will NOT be serving alcohol.

Keep in mind that the Buddhist religious days (4 days a year, I think), the King's Birthday, the Queen's birthday and the days when there are elections (relevant elections) are the days that no alcohol can be sold anywhere and that almost all the entertainment places will be closed.

There is one thing I wanna ask though.........I am not actually sure if bars/pubs are closed on these days because they MUST be closed by law or the managers simply CHOOSE TO CLOSE their bars because they think it is not worth staying open and not being able to sell alcohol......can anyone enlighten us on this ?

Regards,

Jem

Bars only close for religious holidays, not the King's or Queen's birthdays. However, the individual bar areas come under different police precincts, and the OIC of a precinct can have his own ideas about when to open -- and his decision is usually only communicated to the bar owners a day or two before. I think you will find most places are open tomorrow. JemJem, the owners are certainly not going to make that decision -- it's made for them by the particular police precinct commander. Can you imagine ANY bar owner losing trade (particularly in these hard times) voluntarily?

*To 'dexlowe' : Thanks for the info but are you sure bars don't close on King's Birthday ? A few years ago, me and a friend wanted to go on a night out....we tried several places but they were all closed.

Regarding my earlier comment on management of bars/pubs, maybe you got me wrong...I thought that if the law strictly says 'no alcohol' (but the place allowed to stay open) on certain days, then I thought that the management of MOST pubs/bars probably would choose to close the place rather than staying open and being able to sell non-alcoholic drinks to only few people (expenses would maybe exceed the income those days).

Regards,

Jem