How Old Were You When You Moved To Thailand

TheDon

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 41 and will be arriving in Bangkok to live at the end of this month. I'm not sure how many years I'll end up in Thailand. I've done 35 years in Hong Kong, but now I'm leaving I doubt I'll ever come back here to live.

I also cannot imagine living in the UK, despite being English. It should be noted that I was born in Libya so not "from" the UK.

You have shocking credentials for claiming to be English.

33 (common age) got pissed off after 3 yrs went to Hanoi - cheap for booze n fags but Thailand is definately better - waiting for wnak rules to change b4 I can come back and attain the status I receive in Nam, Singapore etc. (ie no jumping through hoops and providing pig face with tea money) enough said, Q'fied teacher

boiledegg

Ow da all youz unda 30s survive, is it a fantastic expat package, rich parents, trust fund, drug runners, teaching as i wouldnt have thought its that easy for masses of younger folk to make wonga in the Thailand.

none of the above for me, used to visit UK for 2-3 months during UK summer & work as a temp making £30 gbp per hour for 11-12 hrs per day, plus rebate from tax man for prior year :D Made enough to support me very comfortably for the remaining 9-10 months as well as to afford me to travel to Australia, SA, NZ & other parts of Asia. Life for me then was too short to be spending my time earning peanuts teaching or selling time share :D when I could be out having fun. :o

I will be there on the 29th of January full time, I booked my ticket last Thursday. Pretty excited. Im 28 and I hope I spend the rest of my life there or until I get bored of the place which I cant see happening anytime soon.

Hi Donk,

I suspect if you intend to go spin kicking people out of the way down in Pattaya as you say you will you are likely to get your wish to end your days in Thailand, and with your outlook I can assure you that you are likely to be too busy to and fro the hospital to be bored :o:D

Roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

I'm 41 and will be arriving in Bangkok to live at the end of this month. I'm not sure how many years I'll end up in Thailand. I've done 35 years in Hong Kong, but now I'm leaving I doubt I'll ever come back here to live.

I also cannot imagine living in the UK, despite being English. It should be noted that I was born in Libya so not "from" the UK.

You have shocking credentials for claiming to be English.

Dont know where you have been hiding ofr the past 0 years but when I go out and about in the uk he would almost be old school tie compared with some of todays english passport holders!

roy gsd

boiledegg

Ow da all youz unda 30s survive, is it a fantastic expat package, rich parents, trust fund, drug runners, teaching as i wouldnt have thought its that easy for masses of younger folk to make wonga in the Thailand.

none of the above for me, used to visit UK for 2-3 months during UK summer & work as a temp making £30 gbp per hour for 11-12 hrs per day, plus rebate from tax man for prior year :D Made enough to support me very comfortably for the remaining 9-10 months as well as to afford me to travel to Australia, SA, NZ & other parts of Asia. Life for me then was too short to be spending my time earning peanuts teaching or selling time share :D when I could be out having fun. :o

Thanks for your post, :D nice to have you confirm that the uk is not all on the dole as some would have people believe,

people can make a good living in the uk if they are prepare do commit to the idea of hard work.

roy gsd

thats the way my mother raised me, never been on benefits, never wanted to either. :D Contrary to what alot of people on here beleive, many pepole in the UK are hard working & can have happy & fullfilling livee, a small amount are scrounging but it certianly isn't in the majority, after all, there's got to be someone buying the houses that cost so much :o (The one major prob I have with UK these days)

I'm 34 and still trying to find a way to move to Thailand full time. My wife (Thai) and I are saving as much as we can to fund the move but I think it is a fair way off yet, at least 10 years. My wife is 11 years older than me so we don't want to leave it too late in life. I've spent years trying to find a way to work in or from Thailand but I am stuffed if I can find a way to do it.

We live a simple life and don't have many extravagances but I still want to be secure as we get older, to possibly have the means for an occasional visit to Oz to visit family and to be covered with necessary health insurance etc.

So I guess for the moment we will just save whatever we can and I will continue researching ways to help my career and to invest and grow our meager savings.

Edited by chiliwasabi

I moved to Thailand at 32 years old and now I'm 38.

From your avatar, you came with just the 2 suitcases. So what do U have now, any saving much for the retirement? Just can’t imagine I would be saving much at that age, working in Thailand.

And I would be scare too death of not making it, esp in another country that's not my own.

I moved to Thailand at 32 years old and now I'm 38.

From your avatar, you came with just the 2 suitcases. So what do U have now, any saving much for the retirement? Just can't imagine I would be saving much at that age, working in Thailand.

And I would be scare too death of not making it, esp in another country that's not my own.

I figure that if you do your best then life has a habit of working itself out.

I don't fear the future because I always land on my feet.

I came to Thailand to ordain as a monk so maybe once my family has grown I will return to that idea - not that I see ordaining as a cheap retirement plan. Otherwise who knows? As Forest Gump once said; life is like a big box of chocolates and you don't know what you will get next...but it's all good

Edited by garro

At least one thing for sure, you will be eating good foods, as an ordained monk. :o

My brothers said so, when they were at the wat for a few months at the age of 21 and came back slightly bloated.

Edited by teacup

I figure that if you do your best then life has a habit of working itself out.

I don't fear the future because I always land on my feet.

Very well put monkeyboy.

I had alot of grief from my parents about giving up work and moving here, but when my dad had a serious illness a few years ago I reassesed my priorities in life. He's OK now, and they have been out here to visit, but I decided it wasn't worth dedicating my life to a retirement that I may not live to enjoy.

That coupled with a £40k tax bill pushed me over the edge. I probably don't have enough funds to support me until I'm 72 (my father's age), but as Garro said, something will work out.

On a side note, I think there are alot of people fibbing about there ages on this thread, but I really am 35.

I will be there on the 29th of January full time, I booked my ticket last Thursday. Pretty excited. Im 28 and I hope I spend the rest of my life there or until I get bored of the place which I cant see happening anytime soon.

I came over at 28 too..

I wasnt going to come until I had a retirement nest egg that wasnt going to run out.. So I had to put in a couple years work first.

I moved here when i was 37. I could not work in the US any more due to a bad disk in my back and 2 in my neck so I had to create myself a job here in thailand. I am now 47 and plan to spend the rest of my life here even though my wife wants us to move back to the USA.

Came here at 23 and I'm 24 now. Lived in Indonesia & China before. Don't mind LOS but like Indonesia better (might be because the wife is Indonesian). Had to move (work hazard). Planning to stay a couple of more years. After dat den I'm out narradamsayin lol omg <deleted> gangsta.

One luv. Peaches.

Edited by DB84

Moved here when I was 21 with a couple of suitcases, my Compaq Presario laptop, HP 340 portable printer, a couple of crates of personal belongings, and a few hundred $ leftover from my college funds (the rest partied away in a last few months in N. America frenzy, in Austin, N'Orleans, and Cancun).

Still here at 33, and would still be living in similar 'relative poverty' type conditions if it weren't a couple of years of teaching English, reading the news on the radio, and flogging computer speakers for my cousin, to get startup capital, for 8-9 years of exporting flowers and pet fish @ "38-40 Baht to the $," and of course my grandfather's tattered pawnshop license and shop (and now my wife's family's pawnshop license and shop) to plug excess income into.

:o

Moved here when iwas 32, I'm now 35. Parents were pretty livid with me at the time for jacking in a very good job, and in some ways if I'd stayed there I would have been coming out with a very tidy pension at 55. However, decided to make a change and although initially it was hard here, I've slowly managed to become more settled, and things are starting to look good for the future in terms of work in my previous field.

No real worries about retirment etc, as I've managed to keep some assets that will serve me well when the time comes to finish work. One thing for certain is, that I have no intention of returning to the UK to live .

Moved here when I was 21 with a couple of suitcases, my [b]Compaq Presario laptop[/b], HP 340 portable printer, a couple of crates of personal belongings, and a few hundred $ leftover from my college funds (the rest partied away in a last few months in N. America frenzy, in Austin, N'Orleans, and Cancun).

“Compaq Presario”…...

That was a 100 lbs laptop, wasn’t it?

Oh how I still remember my good old days with the “Compaq Presario” walking around with it, and couldn’t complain much cuz it was a gift from my mom - in taupe color, or the thais called it “krapi color“.

You’re ancient, Heng,……just like me :o