Dish Network

shiva

For satellite service..who to go with in Thailand..Dish,or another one? Is there another one?

You normally need a dish to receive satellite service...whip antennas do not seem to work, not too sure why :o

What region are you talking about? perhaps that will help. Also I presume your talking about TV, give us some more info and perhaps someone can help.

I'm prob.going to settle in or near Phuket..I have a dish network satellite dish here on Maui,and I like the service and quality ...

It's not a cheap service..but perhaps there are cheaper alternatives that are as good!?

No Dish is not available in Thailand. The only legal DTH service is UBC at a cost of about 1,500 baht per month. Illegal access seems to be available for several others including one from Malaysia and PI but they are not much different than UBC.

I have a dish dvr (digital recorder), and might want to bring it with me when I move there? What other satellite companies are there..echo star..direct t.v.?

Thanks..

It depends on your equipment.

There are several free to air channels on C-band and with a suitable dish and lnb

your existing receiver would handle them.

On Ku band the only legal service is UBC, though services from Malayisa

can also be received. These services are encrypted and you will need the correct

smart card to receive them.

Look in the Internet/technical section there have been discussions there.

Do you know if UBC has hd (high definition) t.v. channels? I went to their site and saw no indication of it...It's not all that important..just curious...

I know it ain't the states, and don't want it to be..But HD t.v. is really cool!

Perhaps it's doable through some other means? Otherwise, an hd tv would be useless there..

Aloha fm. Maui...soon to be relocating to Phuket,or near by..I think..

No. HD is not broadcast by any operator in Thailand. But we use PAL system which is far better than normal NTSC (never twice same color) with more scan lines than US. Most top line TV sets now include computer chips to make effective scan over 1,000 lines.

if you can find an alternative from UBC id do so as the service is <deleted> to put it plainly and they dont care as there is no other s to compete except cable channels in Pattaya which arnt much better,

I would buy a 120 cm dish with motor and decoder if i were you cost about 35,000 baht then you can pick your on channels, about 100+.

if you can find an alternative from UBC id do so as the service is <deleted> to put it plainly and they dont care as there is no other s to compete except cable channels in Pattaya which arnt much better,

I would buy a 120 cm dish with motor and decoder if i were you cost about 35,000 baht then you can pick your on channels, about 100+.

So you have 100+ channels of trash with no good means of knowing what is on when or where and if you have no tech ability how many visits are you going to have to have every year to get things fixed? If you are a "ham" type person and like the discovery of new channels I can see it but for normal TV believe it is not viable.

Unfortunately, the best option is UBC. I agree with Lopburi...100+ channels of useless foreign language drivel is not worth the hastle of owning the large, mobile dishes.

I would consider tapping into Malaysia's astro service...but using smart cards has more cons than pros. And hasn't Astro changed their encryption teachnique?

I have a dish dvr (digital recorder), and might want to bring it with me when I move there? What other satellite companies are there..echo star..direct t.v.?

Thanks..

It depends on your equipment.

There are several free to air channels on C-band and with a suitable dish and lnb

your existing receiver would handle them.

On Ku band the only legal service is UBC, though services from Malayisa

can also be received. These services are encrypted and you will need the correct

smart card to receive them.

Look in the Internet/technical section there have been discussions there.

Yeah, but this receiver comes with a smart card which prevents me from using other equipment..unless there's a way I don't know about?!

I realize this poster is new to Thailand and all so I'll go easy, but try to keep in mind that there is a reason that they call it a developing country.

If Americans here had access to DirecTV and other major US satellite operators, would any of us have ever subscribed to UBC? No!

You have to forget it all! The networks, prime time TV, live coverage of every sporting event known to man. On top of that, forget about HDTV and while you're at it, forget about high speed and reliable internet unless you can spend a few hundred dollars a month. None of it is here.

Regarding the satellites, its been said here before that US TV is not available becuase of the curve in the earth. You can watch Austrlaian, Indian, Chinese fun fun.....

Don't get your hopes up for UBC either. Most of it is re-runs of re-runs. Shows come and go with no notice and its almost all compeltely out of date from an American perspective.

Does have pretty good coverage of football and American football. BBC, CNN. HBO is not the HBO you're used to. no original programming. No live specials. Its shitty, censored movies played over and over.

Hope this helps.

Yes they have changes it to a variant of seca2 (v7.7) seca2 is cracked in Europe but v7.7 is still secure though a lot is already known about it..

Howeveryou can legally buy a Astro smartcard in Thailand (prepay for a year) and its a LOT better than UBC in its channels, no Thai Channels for the GF tho and any subs are in malaysian, more channels natively in English though..

Also a 200CM dish can pick up AsiaSat3.. Pattaya on small dish and BKK on a big dish can pick up DreamTV (hacked) and I think that ZeeTV is available in some regions (again hacked)... I guess I am a ham type person but I dont have the space for a good mobile dish unit..

Dish network and DirectTV are not available outside of N american markets and if you want 2 way sat internet IPStar is available at a HIGH costs compared to adsl which is becomeing pretty easy to get in Phuket.