New Zealand Vs Australia Rugby

nzgregor

For me the ingredients are :

1) good company/crowd ( only hookers of the rugby variety preferred :o )

2) good food (for pre/post match)

3) good cold, fresh beer

4) good screen, sound, viewing angle

No 1 place in Bangkok fits all, and I've been here a while.

Soi 8 Pub, has 1,2,3..but not so good sound and screens(but they do their best given the architectural limitations of the space) ... but for the best kiwi crowd/atmosphere, for the rugby this is probably the place to be. Other kiwi places are crappy little dives(to be nice) on soi 6, soi 7/1 and soi 33.

I don't really fancy the Aussie pubs for watching rugby ie: Downunder on soi 23, but the food there is nice. Office on 33 has excellent screens, not so bad actually as long as the "hostesses" dont bother me(some people may want this, but not during the fricken rugby !! )

Of course you also have your Irish/English pubs which are a dime a dozen in Bangkok, and they usually all show the Rugga.

And then, there is always my home theatre(fits categories 1,2,3 and 4) with a few mates around and my wife and her pals on the catering :D

If you're over 50 and Kiwi - get into Wall St on soi 33. But bit dark and dingy - although the lads are all good blokes.

Londoner on soi 33 corner is not bad - lots of screens, not too many people, good service, but expensive and lacking atmosphere at times.

Soi 8 pub (another Kiwi joint) gets too packed and screens are small. Can be a mission.

Downunder in 23 can be too pokey although not bad if you are an Aussie and you get a good seat early. Service can be ordinary.

Forget the Irish pubs - especially if its clashes with soccer (yes not this weekend but...)

Tenderloins in 33 is a good spot - no longer run by an Aussie but plenty of Aussies and Kiwies and few Saffas among others in there. Lots of screens. Light. Good service. Good food.

Office I do enjoy. Especially upstairs where the chjicks don't hassle you. Sound is always right up. Good screens. Good service (used to be <deleted> they have improved), food is just ok. Good Aussie atmosphere but not parocial (sp?)

Top 3: Office / Tenderloins / Londoner in no order.

I like to watch rugby at Molly Malone's. Heaps of screens and the venue is large so it doesn't get packed out like say, Wall Street does. Also, if you want to get a bite, the food at Molly's is hard to beat.

If New Zealand (or Australia or South Africa) is taking on England at rughy, I sometimes throw myself into the lion's den, so to speak, and watch it at The Londoner. The problem at the Londoner though is that they seem to have different sport on different TVs and unless it is a huge event, the sound is not always on...which makes it much less enjoyable.

Are they any aussies out here who watch the AFL?

Yes there are plenty. There is an Aussie Rules club here Thailand Tigers (actually they play Hong Kong tomorrow in Pattaya) and many more who aren't attached who love to watch. They are usually at the Office (see website for schedule), sometimes DownUnder, and other random places. Office mainly. Also where the league-ies head to as well.

Looks like most of the better places have been covered.

The Office on 33 probably my overall favourite for any live sport. A few years back when they used to do the Saturday night (then Sunday night) free drinks for an hour, followed by the electric violin dude with the smoking hot dancing girls doing their little dancing on the bar number.... When it coincided with a good rugby game it was like the Holy Trinity. I wouldn't take my mum there, but generally it's "safe" to take visiting ladies/guests who don't want to see the seedy stuff.

Tenderloins, Livingstones, Powelly's across the road also options.

The Dubliner on Sukhumvit is one of my preferred Irish/English pubs and not too bad for rugby viewing if you can get a table with a view.

Robin Hood OK if you get the right seat/couch. Wouldn't go there for any other reason than to watch a game though. Dull. Staff always seem to screw up/not separate the bill, even after specifically requesting separate bins.

The Bus Stop on Suk soi 4 used to be another favourite. Still check out the odd game there if the weather permits, and it's not stinking hot. The old Bus Stop (single level layout) sadly missed.

Hanrahans on soi 4 is OK - usually good drink promotions, good pours, screens, friendly staff, decent pool table, comfy sofas. Chronic lack of atmosphere though. A lot of people bag this place, but I don't mind it, and I hope it picks up.

Over Silom way, there's Mollys (aka The X) as mentioned. They often bump cricket and rugby for football (soccer) whenever there is a schedule conflict which ain't cool. Sometimes a drama to get the sound on. Friendly staff, but at least one of the recent managers there needs a personality transplant, and a How to Run a Pub For Dummies book. If it wasn't for the location and loyal customer base.....

Duke of Wellington on Silom can also be a good place to watch big games with a crowd - good drink promos, big tables, lots of space, etc.

Lots of other places around which can be hit and miss, but if you have your own crowd it doesn't matter. It's often more about finding somewhere where you can get a good seat.

For those late night games Down Under (now called Bradmans Sports Bistro) on 23, Wall Street on 33, sometimes Moonshine on Cowboy.....

You blokes kiakaha & Doza must go to a different Office Bar on soi 33 than I do.

I've never been hassled by the hostesses any time.

If you want them, they are there.

If you don't they leave you alone.

Thats one reason why I go there besides the great screens, good sound quality, good atmosphere and I think fantastic food.

Somehow they seem to be able to show more sport than any other bar I've been to in Bangkok.

Rugby, AFL, NRL, cricket. They have the lot.

I checked the website just now, this is what they have this weekend http://www.theofficebkk.com/eventguide.php

Another hard weekend on the booze.

Go the Aussies!

You blokes kiakaha & Doza must go to a different Office Bar on soi 33 than I do.

Thats one reason why I go there besides the great screens, good sound quality, good atmosphere and I think fantastic food.

Somehow they seem to be able to show more sport than any other bar I've been to in Bangkok.

I checked the website just now, this is what they have this weekend http://www.theofficebkk.com/eventguide.php

Go the Aussies!

It's not really that they harass so often, its that they are there.

Me and my friends usually go out to more family style pubs because our wives(mostly foreign aswell) and sometimes kids too, prefer a hooker free environment when we get together for a good kiwi rugby test match.

If I'm out with the lads, thats a different story, but usually the test rugby is on Saturday so its kinda a family outing for all...well for those of us that work mon-fri in Bangkok anyway.

Go the Aussies!

It's not really that they harass so often, its that they are there.

Me and my friends usually go out to more family style pubs because our wives(mostly foreign aswell) and sometimes kids too, prefer a hooker free environment when we get together for a good kiwi rugby test match.

If I'm out with the lads, thats a different story, but usually the test rugby is on Saturday so its kinda a family outing for all...well for those of us that work mon-fri in Bangkok anyway.

I understand.

I wouldn't take the wife either.

Bob, fair enough the chicks don't so much "hassle" you but they used to and they are there

(distracting!)...but upstairs has a much better atmosphere of pure sport watching. Must say, the Office used to have bad service and ordinary girls. Now, the girls are pretty hot, service is very good and I enjoy it more than I did a year or few ago. Could have more light though...

Sports coverage top notch.

Cheers for all the reply's. Went to the Office just off soi 33. Had a great time, crowd good standing room only, drinks cheap 75 baht for san song red bull. Had a sirloin steak which was also very good. Ladies very nice and not pushy at all with drinks which i think is a good thing.

Only major draw back was the finishing score and all the bloody chain draggers.

Molly Malones is a good place for me. I live in that neck of the woods so would not go down sukhumvit anyway. did watch it in the office once and that was ok as well.

normally Molly's has football downstairs and rugby upstairs with sound on both.

I thin a pretty comprehensive list for places to watch the game.

I normally head to Soi 8 to watch, as I find it a decent pub with reasonable prices. It certainly gets busy when the rugby is on. Yesterday I ended up in Livingstons with a few mates and had a good late afternoon watching it, although I think I would have preferred the Office.

Another option for Sport is The Crossbar on Soi 23, has plenty of screens and show most of the sports on the Aussie and South African Network.

I think most of the decent places have already been mentioned.

I think I'll watch the next match at Office. At least then, in the event of another humiliating defeat, fittingly dressed in my black All Blacks attire, I can pop around the corner to D*m**ia and take out my frustration with medieval weaponry (I wonder how much it would cost for the girls to don Wallabies jerseys ) :o

I wonder how much it would cost for the girls to don Wallabies jerseys

and lick the sweet salty tears from my face, pour wax on my nipples, and giggle at my dysfunctional little front rower. :o

Each to their own. Some people like the masochism more than the sado. :D

The idea of a line of weeping men wearing All Blacks jerseys queued up outside an S&M bar does warm the cockles of the heart. :D:D

MrToad - the Crossbar? I drove past this the other day but not 100% sure where it is. Is it in the soi parallel to cowboy running back to Asok? And is that near Chokchai, or is that further along Asok? When did it open? Sports bar?