Loaning Money

martynsnowman

hi to all,

would you loan cash to farang friend ?

you,ve known him about a year , he,s never got much money but always manages to keep his head above water , or do you think giving him the loan will spoil friendship if he,s unable to repay ?

its only 10k bt but i was always told when i was younger , NEVER A LENDER OR BORROWER BE !

what do you think ... martyn .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi to all,

would you loan cash to farang friend ?

you,ve known him about a year , he,s never got much money but always manages to keep his head above water , or do you think giving him the loan will spoil friendship if he,s unable to repay ?

its only 10k bt but i was always told when i was younger , NEVER A LENDER OR BORROWER BE !

what do you think ... martyn .

Always a difficult one. I have lent money in the past to a couple of friends here in Thailand, one paid me back the very next week, and when he asked again due to an unforseen medical bill I was only to happy to do so, he again repaid me the following week when he was paid, so if he was to ask again I wouldn't have a problem with it. I also lent some to another guy, who has not repaid me. In fact he goes out of his way to avoid me. So he is no longer a freind. Trust your gut instincts, if you have doubts don't do it, there are plenty of dishonest people around who will gladly try and get out of paying money back.

"NEVER A LENDER OR BORROWER BE "

I think that's a quote from Benjamin Franklin, and it's as applicable now as then. Whenever I've been asked for money, in any amount, I tell the requestor that I'm not in a position to lend money. The biggest question is "if you don't have the money now, how do expect to pay me back in the future?"

If he is only now managing to keep his head above water that surely means he will have difficulty paying the money back?

Hard decision when it comes to friendships but I would decline in this situation unless I was willing to risk not getting the money back and that the friendship would not suffer as a result of not getting the money back.

If you have the spare cash and you trust and value his friendship, loan him the money. I lent a lady at work 35k bt last year and wasn't repaid, but I think that was the first occasion where lent money wasn't returned. Looking back, I should have lent less, but now I know she isn't a person I can trust.

Don't agree with the poster that thinks friends don't ask for money. Friends help friends that are in trouble.

does the guy sound like he is in trubble.........lol . u guys read too mut into peoples posts....lol.

ps. mr siam does yr wife know about lending office girl money!!!!!!!!!! hope she doesnt read here.

Edited by farang555

Don't lose track of how much 10K THB is. I notice you said 'only'. According to my calculations that is 150 GBP or US$300. That sort of money I would lend only to family or long-standing trusted friends.

So the answer is yes if he/she is a long-standing trusted friend.

But if he/she is just an ocassional friend/drinking buddy then No!

I picture myself in the UK in a pub, and a pal or drinking mate says; "Hi Libya can you lend me 150 quid"

I'd say; "piss-off, I'm not made of money you know, how about a score, will that do you"?

In other words the most I would lend a casual drinking buudy is 20 GBP which is THB 1,300

Do you see what I'm saying?

does the guy sound like he is in trubble.........lol . u guys read too mut into peoples posts....lol.

No, we just use common sense. THe OP didn't ask if he should lend money to someone that doesn't really need it. He just assumes we all are intelligent enough to come to that conclusion. In your case he made a mistake.

Edited by siamamerican

Depends who it is you are lending money to.

I have been ripped off on a loan to a friend for 60,000 Baht in the past, I never saw the <deleted> again ! Another guy took 2 years to pay back a 20,000 Baht loan.

I've lent money to some Thai people and been paid back at the correct time, go figure.

As I have said, it all depends who it is.

Thing is, if he's just keeping his head above water, how do you expect him to pay you back ?

I would suggest you lend it if you don't mind not getting back. If it's important that you get the money back, then don't lend it.

I've had it go both ways, but 10,000 baht is a lot of money for most people--both lender and borrower.

If you don't want to offend him tell him you don't have it. Or if he want's 10 give him 5 and say that's all you have for now.

Up to you! Best of luck.

ps. mr siam does yr wife know about lending office girl money!!!!!!!!!! hope she doesnt read here.

Blizzard, I thought you had been banned. :o

Don't lose track of how much 10K THB is. I notice you said 'only'. According to my calculations that is 150 GBP or US$300. That sort of money I would lend only to family or long-standing trusted friends.

I picture myself in the UK in a pub, and a pal or drinking mate says; "Hi Libya can you lend me 150 quid"

I'd say; "piss-off, I'm not made of money you know, how about a score, will that do you"?

In other words the most I would lend a casual drinking buudy is 20 GBP which is THB 1,300

lybia,

thats a good point i did,nt think of , 150 quid is a lot to some ( me included ) .

the guy needed the money to do a visa run from udon to loas. thats why it was 10k. he said his monthly

cash from u.k was late and his visa run out same day and would cost him 2k per day in overstay if he did,nt renew it quickly .

he says he.ll return the money saturday 26th . so i,ll keep you posted . martyn.

my wife wouldn't entrust me with a huge amount $300 :o

my wife wouldn't entrust me with a huge amount $300 :o

And a wise lady she is! She figures your mia noi doesn't need that much at one time.

I use to know this Thai guy, he use to borrow 300 bt a week from me, pay me back, and then the day after borrow it again, it went on for a few weeks and then he shot himself in the head - hope it wasnt because he could not pay me back !!! He always wanted to borrow more, but i use to refuse and told him 300 bt was my limit.

being the wise man you r mr naam. would you lend 1000$ to a fellow FEMALE office worker. and would you tell yr thai wife and what would she think about it.

The wife really didn't care about the gender. She and I both have a hard time understanding how she can justify not paying me back. To be honest, it really wasn't a big issue for both of us. There is more to the story, but have my doubts you are capable of comprehending the details.

Farang555, are you the type of man that fears telling his wife/GF that he lent money to a man or woman.

I think that's a quote from Benjamin Franklin, and it's as applicable now as then. Whenever I've been asked for money, in any amount, I tell the requestor that I'm not in a position to lend money. The biggest question is "if you don't have the money now, how do expect to pay me back in the future?"

Just out of interest, the quote is from Shakespeare's Hamlet, part 1, act iii. 58

Before I came to Thailand, nobody ever asked me for a lend of some money. However, since I have been in Thailand on 5 separate occasions I have had Thais borrow money from me, ranging from 5,000 to 25,000 baht, and totalling 76,000 baht and yes, you guessed it, I never got any of it back, not one baht. But, worse still, I never heard from these "friends" again. The last time I "lent" money to a person was almost two years ago and I swear I will never lend a single baht to anyone, especially a Thai, ever again no matter what the circumstance. I just don't want to know!

Before I came to Thailand, nobody ever asked me for a lend of some money.

I have had the same experience, never had someone ask for a loan in my life then, within a week of arriving here, it started - both Thais and Westerners. After several bad experiences I no longer lend - except in very exceptional circumstances.

Just out of interest, the quote is from Shakespeare's Hamlet, part 1, act iii. 58

Almost correct, it is Hamlet, Act 1 scene 3 75-77

liyba , can you now tell me where the quote, A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED .

comes from i will use it when i,m next asked to borrow some1 money .

but as i said the loan was to guy from u.k . not thai .

if i were a girl and my sweetie lent money to a female id be upset, darn tootin id be!

op is in a no win situation. if dude does pay him back he just gonna keep asking to borrow again and again and again.

i dont see why some think its a tuff call. people who borrow borrow 4 a reason, they need it. like some say where they gonna get it back to pay u if they didnt have it to begin with!

Edited by farang555

lybia,

thats a good point i did,nt think of , 150 quid is a lot to some ( me included ) .

the guy needed the money to do a visa run from udon to loas. thats why it was 10k. he said his monthly

cash from u.k was late and his visa run out same day and would cost him 2k per day in overstay if he did,nt renew it quickly .

he says he.ll return the money saturday 26th . so i,ll keep you posted . martyn.

Isn't the overstay 500BHT per day ?

liyba , can you now tell me where the quote, A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED .

comes from i will use it when i,m next asked to borrow some1 money .

but as i said the loan was to guy from u.k . not thai .

Not Shakespeare, that one just an 'Olde English' proverb.

Perhaps its origins were Tommy Tusser's "A foole and his money be soone at debate: which after with sorow repents him too late."