Want To Book A One Way Ticket But...

Hi there,

I am reluctant about booking a one way ticket to BKK which still is at an affordable price because I have not applied for a non-imm visa yet and am not sure at all I will be issued one. So here's my question:

In the event I do not get a non-imm visa, will I be able to enter Thailand with a one way ticket and a 1 or 2 entries tourist visa? Or will I need to book an onward flight too? If I do need an onward flight, will an e-ticket to Cambodia do or is it not enough?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

The problem is being BOARDED by your airline. They probably will not board you with a one way ticket and no visa. But they probably will board you if you can show a ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days. So, yes, I think you are OK with an eticket going to a neighboring country to Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

It's simple. If you have only a one-way ticket and no visa, the airline will not let you go unless they are being stupid. So, call the consulate where you want to apply for your visa and discuss your situation to be sure or not if you can get a visa before buying a ticket. Don't just do things willy nilly and hope.

It's simple. If you have only a one-way ticket and no visa, the airline will not let you go unless they are being stupid. So, call the consulate where you want to apply for your visa and discuss your situation to be sure or not if you can get a visa before buying a ticket. Don't just do things willy nilly and hope.

It is not that simple. The airlines will board on a 1 way if you can show an air trip out of Thailand within 30 days.

It would be of course be prudent to phone the specific airline you are booking with. They can actually read you the specific boarding rules their clerks will refer to when checking you in.

Edited by Jingthing

And, depending on where you apply for your tourist visa, you may also need to show a travel ticket before they'll issue the visa. Here's a quote from the Thai Embassy Washington website in reference to a tourist visa:

Documents Required:-

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- One visa application form completely filled out

- Two passport-size photographs (2"x2") (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted). Photographs must have a light color background with a full- face view of the person without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Photos must be taken within 6 months.

- A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary paid in full

- A copy of recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance

($500 per person and $1,000 per family)

So, if you apply at the Thai Embassy DC, you'll need to show a ticket in and a ticket out -- but not necessarily roundtrip (which makes sense -- how can they mandate that you only return home upon exiting Thailand). Plus, you'll need to show proof of $500 in finances (a friend recently verified the requirement for both ticket and financial proof).

Interestingly, the Thai consulates in New York, Chicago, and LA -- and probably all the (US) honorary consulates -- don't require proof of tickets, at least not for US citizens. Don't know what the situation is in other countries.

And as far as the airlines go, I'm only familiar with United -- and they *do* check for a visa -- or an exit ticket.

Thank you.

So basically I need a visa but a tourist visa would do too? Am I right?

Correct.

Not correct. You do not need a visa. You only need an air ticket out, to anywhere, that leaves Thailand within 30 days.

Yeah but we are assuming I'd prefer to only buy a one way ticket... And I'll need a visa anyway because I am willing to stay there fore more than 3 months. The question should read more like: "is a tourist visa enough to be allowed to enter thailand with a one way ticket?"

The tourist visa should be enough for a one-way ticket, but some embassies/consulates require that you show a return ticket or at least a ticket out of the country within the period alowed to stay. So also check with the embassy/consulate were you will apply.

The tourist visa should be enough for a one-way ticket, but some embassies/consulates require that you show a return ticket or at least a ticket out of the country within the period alowed to stay. So also check with the embassy/consulate were you will apply.

Thanks to you and Jim for that. Wasn't aware of it. I'll check with the embassy.

Some company let you come on board with a one way ticket and no visa. And then you have no trouble at the border. I know, I've done it. Qatar Airways is one of them. You should ask to the company before paying for a visa.