Duplicate Text Messages

mikalmus

I'm in the UK and when my tgf sends messages to my phone I almost always receive them more than once. Just yesterday I got a message from her and then while I was reading it 2 more exactly the same came. 8 hours later I got a 4th.

Does anybody know why this is happening and whether she will be getting charged for it? Its difficult to track costs on Happy because they are slow updating your credit so you don't know whether something has been taken into account yet.

Good thing that you brought this up.

I am experiencing the same thing but as they say it, "Same-same, but different."

I am here in Thailand and when I get an SMS from abroad, it doesn't just come once but a couple of times. If i am not mistaken, the record high was way over 20. It was annoying beyond words and it fills up your inbox with mail that you have already seen.

It only stopped when I switched network on my sim card that is on roaming.

Hope we can get an explanation about this.

Guest Reimar

Which Service Provider is you TGF using?

I don't get multiple copies of messages but delayed a lot and using AIS.

Cheers.

this happens to me and I am in Thailand using AIS and DTAC. i get messages waking me up at 5am, and the message would have been sent lunch the day before.

I dont think there is anything to do about it. and yes you probably will be paying for it also.

its annoying beyond words. TIT and thats it

... yes you probably will be paying for it also...

Have you any evidence of this?

I would say the opposite.

Have you any evidence of this? no. But I would lay money on it that we probably pay for the messages. mate, I remember I was charged for making calls that never even got as far as the ring tone because AIS were making problems for DTAC. remember that happening a couple of years ago? it was mpossible to call a mobile unless it was the same company. :o:D:D

Have you any evidence of this? no. But I would lay money on it that we probably pay for the messages. mate, I remember I was charged for making calls that never even got as far as the ring tone because AIS were making problems for DTAC. remember that happening a couple of years ago? it was mpossible to call a mobile unless it was the same company. :D:D:D

re. the original problem... I would guess (coz we like doing that in this forum :o) that there's a bug in the protocol. Here's how it can happen:

1. The Thai service provider (SP) sends a message to the UK SP.

2. The UK SP receives the message and sends an acknowledgement back to the Thai SP.

3. The UK SP sends the message to the UK phone.

4. The Thai SP doesn't get the acknowledgement (in the required time-frame), so it re-sends the same message to the UK SP.

Points 2 through 4 above repeat until either:

1. the Thai SP gives up (re-try count exceeded) or

2. it gets an acknowledgement in the required time-frame.

So:

1. as far as the Thai SP is concerned, it sent the message once, so you get charged once.

2. as far as the UK recipient is concerned, he gets several identical messages.

3. as far as the Thai sender is concerned, she sends one message that ultimately gets there (albeit several times).

Which Service Provider is you TGF using?

I don't get multiple copies of messages but delayed a lot and using AIS.

Cheers.

DTAC Happy. Sensei, I take it the people sending you the message weren't charged 20 times?

I wish I could tell you but I really don't know, but I wish the sender is charged only once for each message.

Edited by sensei