Bail Controversy : Court Frees Tourists’ Killer

george

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like there were some payoffs some where other than bail for this guy to be released.  If Thialand really wants to be part of the free world they better start to shape up a little more.

I am afraid those of us who have seen Thai justice, or 'just us' up close are not surprised. Disappointed, disgusted, revolted, yes, surprised, no. Thai police and officials have a sense of entitilement that they are above what the rest of population must face. The only thing that effects Thai thinking is 'face' and money. Until Western Gov'ts. Britain in particular, make it very well known that this type of behavoir will have financial repercussions and trade restrictions, not much will change.

C'mon Chaz, don't hold back....

tell us what you really think.

The last time I did that the forum banned me from posting! How Thai of them. I'm surprised to see some of the strongly worded comments appear on this matter, as it appeared before that we were only allowed to say nice things about Lieland, er...I mean Thailand on this forum. However, nowadays I only have bad things to say about this god-forsaken place.

I think its's about time we started protesting outside Thai embassies and TAT offices in major cities in the West, and perhaps boycotting Thai restaurants and those ridiculous One Tambon One Product things, or any Thai trinkets for that matter. We could stay in Thailand and fight it out, but I think the country is on the verge of civil war anyway. This I'd rather watch from a safe distance.

Thailand must be one of the sickest societies in the world, HEY I am being way too generous Thailand is the sickest society in the world.

I have said it before and will say it again Thailand will never be anything other than a third rate third world country.

Someone has said that the head waiter was an educated man. You can buy anything with money even a PhD and Somchai whilst not in the same league as the head waiter is coming up through the ranks very fast.

I may not write to any of the international newspapers BUT I will certainly be telling anyone who has his ears turned on what a low life society you have in Thailand.

Christ they make sick in the stomach.   :D

Agree 100%.

Too many farangs making excuses for Thais

Hear Hear....

And before you start with "well why do you come here then", I aint there, and I don't plan on going back any time soon. After 4 years of getting treated like a second class citizen in a third world country, when I was 100% polite ALL the time, I will take my money else where.

The only other country I have seen this complacent arrogance towards farangs, is Vietnam. And they can go fukc themselves too. :o

:D

all this outrage.

If the couple had been thai, the policeman would not have even missed a days work.

If you want someone to blame - try the boss , ex policeman mr T , who supposedly stamped out corrruption last month.

without his direct or indirect complicity, most of these blatent injustices against thai and farang would not occur.

:o

We could stay in Thailand and fight it out, but I think the country is on the verge of civil war anyway.

I encourage you to make your views on 'Lieland' and the Thai population in general known in front of the immigation office in Suan Phlu, or the nearby policestation.

That would make one tosser less around these parts in future.

Kanchanaburi court Prosecutors not told about bail bid

Published on Nov 10 , 2004

Policeman who admitted killing tourists quietly released; judge defends decision

Kanchanaburi Court approved bail for a police sergeant who admitted killing two Britons without seeking the opinion of prosecutors, Sirisak Tiyapan, spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office, said yesterday.

Somchai Wisetsingh, 38, who has admitted to killing Adam Lloyd and Vanessa Arscott in September, requested bail at 4.45pm – after office hours – on November 2. The court released him on Bt1 million bail on the same day, Sirisak said.

The court normally seeks input from police and prosecutors when suspects charged with serious crimes and who face more than 10 years in jail make bail requests.

“Even though it was after office hours, the court could have called prosecutors for an opinion. The case has captured the public’s attention and we fear that the suspect may escape or intimidate witnesses. We have been trying to end this case as quickly as possible,’’ Sirisak said.

Kanchanaburi Court chief judge Narong Suthamkoson, who approved the bail, told Reuters he granted bail on the grounds that the suspect needs to financially support his three children and needs medical treatment for his ribs.

The bail request is controversial given that the sergeant fled the crime scene and was at large for more than a month. Somchai turned himself in to police on October 7.

He is accused of gunning down Lloyd, 24, with his .38 revolver and then running down Arscott, 23, with his car before finishing her off with shots to her neck and chest.

Pichet Kasetsin, Kanchanaburi’s chief prosecutor, said he postponed to yesterday the submission of the investigation file to the State Attorney’s Region 7 Office after Somchai filed a motion asking prosecutors to order police to question more witnesses and gather more evidence on the case.

Judges are not legally bound to ask prosecutors whether they oppose bail or not, according to Dejudom Krairit, president of the Law Society of Thailand.

“It is all up to the judges. Look at the case of a son of a well-known politician who fled the charges and later was arrested and detained in jail and was finally released on bail,’’ he said.

General Wet Sombun, superintendent of Kanchanaburi’s Muang district police station, said that after Somchai was released, Wet instructed police to ask witnesses whether he had intimidated them or not. “If he does, we will report him to the court. But so far, there has not been any intimidation of witnesses,’’ he said.

He said no police team had been assigned to monitor Somchai.

Sucheera Pinijparakarn

The Nation

Said by someone here.. BEWARE..they are after.... We can only trust that his Karma will WHACK HIS PEPE.

HAVE ADVISED ALL PALS TO SPEND their PLENTIFUL tourist dollars else where.

AS for asking for help from the MASTER Cork Soaker DA SIK... YEah Right :o

Not surprise at all!

Thai police are notorious for their behaviors. It's wrong from the start. They are allowed to have absolute power. The original idea of Thai police is "to serve and protect the so-called hi society, not the citizen". I am Thai and I have seen this kind of events over and over again. It's been like this since the Thai police Department was established 100 years ago.

Last night I watched the talk show called "Tung Lok Tung Kon (Hard ball)". One of the Pol. Generals said, "We must continue the beat-up method, otherwise we can't do our job". He also said that police in ALL countries are doing the same thing. It's sad to hear things like this, but I am not surprised at all. Their mentalities are twisted, distorted, and crooked making them perfect killing machines. They will do whatever they can to close the cases as quickly as possible. Thai laws are based on accusation, not investigation. So the suspects are the wrong doers from the beginning. If they are not confess, they deserve "special treatments".

Electrical shocking, brutally beat-up, hitting with the clubs or sticks, kidnaping the suspects' family members to get his confession, or simply murdering the suspects to end the cases are wildly exercised by Thai police. There are many more of this uncivilized, inhuman methods, but I don't want to discuss about it anymore. It makes me sick.

Not surprise at all!

Thai police are notorious for their behaviors. It's wrong from the start. They are allowed to have absolute power. The original idea of Thai police is "to serve and protect the so-called hi society, not the citizen". I am Thai and I have seen this kind of events over and over again. It's been like this since the Thai police Department was established 100 years ago.

Last night I watched the talk show called "Tung Lok Tung Kon (Hard ball)". One of the Pol. Generals said, "We must continue the beat-up method, otherwise we can't do our job". He also said that police in ALL countries are doing the same thing. It's sad to hear things like this, but I am not surprised at all. Their mentalities are twisted, distorted, and crooked making them perfect killing machines. They will do whatever they can to close the cases as quickly as possible. Thai laws are based on accusation, not investigation. So the suspects are the wrong doers from the beginning. If they are not confess, they deserve "special treatments".

Electrical shocking, brutally beat-up, hitting with the clubs or sticks, kidnaping the suspects' family members to get his confession, or simply murdering the suspects to end the cases are wildly exercised by Thai police. There are many more of this uncivilized, inhuman methods, but I don't want to discuss about it anymore. It makes me sick.

I admire your honesty about this kind of thing Golf. It's not everyone that can admit that there are certain things about their own country that are less than, shall we say, "perfect".

Going beyond the crime, the suspect's position and the justice system's handling of the case up to now; I'd like to ask you, given your own feelings of revulsion towards this bail decision and police privilege, if there's anything you feel the ordinary Thai citizen who feels like yourself can do? I know it's a pretty big question, but I'm pretty curious to know if every Thai feels totally powerless and just looks out for their own interests, or if you think there are civil society mechanisms available to tip the country towards a more just system of policing and "justice"? Do other Thai people feel outraged about this to actually do something, or is it seem as just another "normal" case in the process of being brushed under the carpet? :o

Not surprise at all!

Very honest and a very correct assessment of the police.

No real transparancy into their methods and very little accountabilty. :o

Some years ago had a run in with this Alpha Hotel. He was at time furoughed out of Kanchanaburi to Ratchaburi area. He was nortoriuos for his escapades. When I had run with him at my restuarant he pulled a 357 but lucky for me a couple of off duty police were there and when he saw them lowered his gun and walked out. I made a report but to no avail. I heard later he obtained the Guesthouse/restuarant by dubious means. He is scum.

Please tell us some more about this guy and this incident,will you?

Why did he pull the gun? :D

There might be a lesson or two in your story if we get more details. :o

Family Anger as Murder Suspect Freed on Bail

The father of a British woman murdered with her boyfriend in Thailand is seeking a meeting with Home Secretary Jack Straw over the release on bail of the murder suspect.

Police sergeant Somchi Visetsingha was freed yesterday by Thai authorities on the equivalent of £14,000 bail.

He handed himself into police around a month after 23-year-old Vanessa Arscott, from Ashburton, Devon, and her boyfriend Adam Lloyd, 25, from Torquay, were shot while on holiday together.

Ms Arscott’s father Graham said today in a statement released by Devon and Cornwall Police: “We are trying to understand how the interest of justice can possibly be served by allowing this man his freedom prior to his trial.

“Through my MP, Anthony Steen, I am requesting a meeting with Jack Straw to try to resolve the many issues surrounding both families’ tragedy.”

Mr Arscott went on: “Surely it cannot be the intention of the local Thai police and judiciary to give him the opportunity to abscond and avoid justice altogether, or otherwise to intimidate witnesses to retract their statements, although either could be the likely outcome.”

--Scotsman.com 2004-11-11

Golf:

I appreciate your comments and intellectual honesty; I am American, and I can totally relate to your position. America is my country, but I cannot deny much of its past and current history. One of the things that drives me crazy about Thailand is this endless denial or complete dismissal of facts.

As for being surprised about this story, or counting it as one of the most retarded: just look back at criminal cases over time. This kind of thing goes on and on and on. It is truly disgusting. I am sad to say that I agree with some of the most cynical comments on this thread. I didn't come here with these ideas, but simply paid attention and read the newspapers.

I think the entire handling of this case displays a lot of thai thinking: high-profile case with large public outcry, so, must do something - but what? Make a great show of hunting down the murderer (of course after he had a leisurely 24 hours to sort himself out and negotiate his future surrender), throw him in jail for about a month, break Thai law protocol by releasing him without the consent of prosecutors, and admonish a double-murderer who eluded the police to do the right thing and not run or hurt anyone. And of course, the guy has bruised ribs and children to feed. Nevermind that Thai prisions do more than break ribs, or even ignore the needs of babies that are doing time with their mothers. He is a man, apparently with a lot of money and influence, so who the ###### are we to judge? Seems like the judge on this case did an exempleary job of sorting out his own Thai values. What a laugh - and I don't mean that literally.

Well, folks, we know where we are, don't we?

In a couple of years this travesty of justice will have been forgotten and we farangs will continue to come to this land of Satan, mainly for its cheap beer and even cheaper sex. It's OK to suggest that we should be writing to our own media, or even our own governments, about this particularly repugnant incident but our memories are short and our habits unremitting. It is the farang vistors/tourists who should be making the statement.....abandon this God-forsaken country and its satanic and xenophobic authorities.

Some years ago had a run in with this Alpha Hotel. He was at time furoughed out of Kanchanaburi to Ratchaburi area. He was nortoriuos for his escapades. When I had run with him at my restuarant he pulled a 357 but lucky for me a couple of off duty police were there and when he saw them lowered his gun and walked out. I made a report but to no avail. I heard later he obtained the Guesthouse/restuarant by dubious means. He is scum.

The lead up to the incident is that my wife had asked him if he could pull up to the restaurant across a driveway from my place. He did but cussed at her. I arrived ten minutes later with truck load of goods from Bangkok. The evening went on and she forgot to tell me but the AH was at the other restaurant getting roaring drunk. Someone must have told him I was the owner and no farang was going to boss him around. He came into the restaurant and talking crap and pulled the gun on me. The two Police were friends and stood up immediately and as I said before he lowered the weapon and ran out. He is well protected by who he moonlights for and that is a senator.

That was the last day in Kanchanaburi I went unarmed. I was lucky that two police officers were eating at my place. This scum bag has killed more than once and that came from the police. Before I get jumped on about being armed I spent 20 years in law enforcement so I do know the responsibility of carrying. I do know that this guy only gets his due outside the judicary in that province. I moved to avoid any fuirther incidents.

In the 9 months I had the restaurant there were 7 murders of farangs in the city alone and no one ever brought up on charges.

Hi plachon, snowleopard, Kat, and everyone:

I did say I don't want to discuss about it. Well, I take that back! I DO want to discuss about it. To answer your question, plachon, we need to look at a whole Thai society, its past and its base values.

Thai society was based on class system which we borrowed from Cambodia a long time ago. In those days, Government officers were granted higher standard of living. They could have lands, rice fields, and slaves. ALL Thais wanted to be government officers because they could live "above" the ordinary people. Their had all the power to press, enslave, and rule people. Citizens are low-life and worth less than them. Of course, their have this power no more in modern day, but they still use it in the way of abusing and distorting the power so that they can use it to protect their interests. They are the noble men and diehard officers who don't want things to change. Thai police department was created for this purpose. They must protect the "system" they've created.

As far as I know, most Thais are sick about this case too. They said, "yeah, right. Police protect police." Unfortunately, many Thais today are ignorant. They are in their own world. Take a look at the teens. They're crazy about stars, singers, models. Adults too; they don't really care about anything. Moral is worth nothing. Doing the wrong thing and distort it to their interests becomes the society norm. Connection, corruption and abuse of power are the way to go these days in Thailand. Police know about ALL those things, and they use very well. Lies and coverups are called to protect them from any wrong doings they've done.

We are NOT exercising our own rights and let the police hijack them from us.

Over all, Thai society needs major changes, I think. Only time will tell.

Thanks

The lead up to the incident is that my wife had asked him if he could pull up to the restaurant across a driveway from my place. He did but cussed at her. I arrived ten minutes later with truck load of goods from Bangkok. The evening went on and she forgot to tell me but the AH was at the other restaurant getting roaring drunk. Someone must have told him I was the owner and no farang was going to boss him around. He came into the restaurant and talking crap and pulled the gun on me. The two Police were friends and stood up immediately and as I said before he lowered the weapon and ran out. He is well protected by who he moonlights for and that is a senator.

That was the last day in Kanchanaburi I went unarmed. I was lucky that two police officers were eating at my place. This scum bag has killed more than once and that came from the police. Before I get jumped on about being armed I spent 20 years in law enforcement so I do know the responsibility of carrying. I do know that this guy only gets his due outside the judicary in that province. I moved to avoid any fuirther incidents.

In the 9 months I had the restaurant there were 7 murders of farangs in the city alone and no one ever brought up on charges.

This scum bag has killed more than once and that came from the police.

Unbelievable! :D

When did these murders happen and what were the victims' nationalities! :D

Where they reported in the media?

That was the last day in Kanchanaburi I went unarmed

Was this before or after you obtained Thai nationality?You need a document from the police station for a legal fire-arm,don't you?

Thanks for telling the story of this psychopath!

Snowleopard.

A British guy gets death penalty for possesion of drugs(stupid)

A Thai policeman gets bail for killing 2 tourists(outrageous)

I feel sorry for the victim's family, the wittnesses and Thailand's tourist industry.

Thailand is even more of a joke to the world now.Thanks to police & government.

I personally am apalled at the lack of of compassion this shows to the parents of this lad and his girlfriend also i find it very strange that they risk having this fiasco splashed all over the british tabloids,which in turn will almost certainly affect the tourist economy.. have just emailed the sun myself...

I would love to know what the average thia persons take on this would be...Maybe they to have less respect for farang life ..

The Thais are used to extrajudicial killings by police at their discretion. This sort of thing rarely makes the headlines when it involves Thai citizens.

I have a very high opinion of Thailand and its people, but this sort of incident is the largest single drawback, worse than any criminal gangs.

A British guy gets death penalty for possesion of drugs(stupid)

A Thai policeman gets bail for killing 2 tourists(outrageous)

I feel sorry for the victim's family, the wittnesses and Thailand's tourist industry.

Thailand is even more of a joke to the world now.Thanks to police & government.

AMEN!

:o:D:D