Air Asia To London

js1

Has anyone any news on when Air Asia X plan to commence their flights to London from either BKK or KUL?? I hear it should be soon. There website has nothing at all about it.

Thanks.

I think Air Asia are a different kettle of fish to 1-2-go and Thai Air Asia. All new fleet of A320s and more ordered, qualified crews...

Hi

I would not of thought that A320's were any good for that route would need different equipment.

TBWG :o

Air Asia X will be a JV between Air asia and virgin. They will operate A330s. Virgin will supply some aircraft and others from lease. These plans were in motion before the fuel price increases and I haven't heard any new information even on a start date for the ordered ac.

Agree with other poster they will revise routes , but A330-200/300 are long haul planes so they need the distance routes.

:o

I just am looking for this exact info- what other airlines are cheapto say moscow or other european ports from bkk atm can anyone tell me???

at the moment Gulf Air has proved to be the cheapest to LHR. Also Air Mahon is giving good prices. Best places to search via websites for example www.asiarooms.com and search for cheap flights ex BKK.

I wasn't suggesting Air Asia would use A320s for long haul to London, just that they aren't flying aging MD83s and old 747-200s (like 1-2-go and Orient Thai) that other airlines retire for various reasons. They seem like a growing well managed business and are adding new routes and new aircraft regularly.

I've been digging into this and I have some info direct from Air Asia Operations...

The flights to the UK are still planned, but will probably be at least another year before the first flight. I have no info on whether flights will leave from Bangkok or KL. Also, flights might not go to Heathrow or Gatwick. They are in negotiations with BAA to fly into either Stansted (about 25 miles up the M11 from London) or Manchester airport. This is because fees are cheaper at the later two airports.

Flights will be with A340s and will be direct, and if booked well in advance, will be significantly cheaper than other carriers. I have no actual figures for fares. Pax will have to pay extra for luggage, and onboard meals and refreshments.

It's hard to get good deals on flights to the UK / Europe now. Qatar, Etihad, and Emirates have promos now and again and it's poss to find flights vis Doha or Dubai for about B32000. Qatar are excellent by the way. I hope the Air Asia plans don't get cancelled. Return flights to the UK for about B20000 will be very cool, direct to!

Rgds

I think it will be difficult for them to make profit on long-haul routes with the high oil prices and the current climate.

I would imagine the net cost of operating a Airbus 340 is around USD10,000 - USD15,000 per hour, lets say USD12,500 as an example. They can probably squeeze in 400+ "all-economy-seats", and with a load-factor of 90% lets says 400 seats occupied. With a round-trip flying time to London of 24 hours, the cost would be around USD300,000 round-trip (I would not be surprised if it is 20-30% higher) and probably USD20,000 in landing fees and handling charges at the airports. That is THB25,000 each seat on average. You might see some promotional fares of THB9,900 one-way, but I am quite sure they need a higher average to break-even.

Most airlines need some full-fare paying passengers paying USD5,000 - USD10,000 for a round-trip ticket in Business or Firstclass to break even. Hope they make it, but it is probably not easy.

I am "100% sure" that Qatar and Emirates and Etihad is not making profit if filling the whole plane with THB25,000 + tax fares. But it is probably "incremental revenue".

Don't hold your breath, indeed be thankfull for what your getting at present.

I note AA have put their KL Melbourne route on hold and that is way behind schedule.

Its doubtful now if the budget model will work longhaul in the present climate, at the end of the day budget airlines have already trimmed everything they can but they still have to pay the same prices for fuel, without the bums on seats upfront paying premium prices it ain't going to fly.

You have to wonder if budget airlines might not become a thing of the past, the margins are very tight now for the best of them. On domestic, if they raise prices too high many locals will switch to bus or train.

If oil prices stay high then what you are getting now is a bargain. :o

I recon oil prices will remain high and everything will go up in price to catch up. Thus 1USD now will be worth 2USD next year. Then strikes for folks demanding more money to pay for everything going up in price?

bkkflyer, I like your calculation but you forgot about freight.

The old saying went that you had to fill your premium class to make a Europe - SE Asia route profitable, so will be interesting to see how they will fare here (pun intended). I'm sure they will offer an 'XL' class as well.

Record oil prices have failed to deter plans for new budget flights from London to Kuala Lumpur.

Malaysia’s Air Asia X was this week in final talks with Stansted airport to launch the service, with fares from £350 return. A pre-Christmas launch had been hoped for, but the first of the six flights a week will now begin next year.

Air Asia X is part-owned by Sir Richard Branson and is a subsidiary of Air Asia, the region’s biggest budget airline.

“It is looking good, we are just finalising negotiations,” said Tony Fernandes, Air Asia’s chief executive. Mr Fernandes said that flights could start in March, adding that they would definitely commence by June next year. He blamed the delay on earlier difficulties in finding suitable aircraft for the new route.

Mr Fernandes plans to exploit the lack of competition to Kuala Lumpur, which is only served from Britain by Malaysia Airlines. He said he was not worried about soaring fuel costs, but admitted he had originally hoped to offer a £300 return fare.

Air Asia X is banking on appealing to business travellers to fill a front cabin of 58 premium economy seats to offset the lower-priced economy seats at the back of the aircraft. Both sets of passengers will have to pay for food, but there will be seat-back entertainment screens in both cabins.

2 x A340-600 ex Qatar to be used on the route.

400 seats full,

Business class has 40 seats sold at let say 100,000b rtn, thats 4000000b

Standard econ seats sold 100 at 35000, thats 350000b

Total 4350000b at 64b to the pound total gb 67968.75 / 2= 33984.37 one way

Plus cargo double it each way.