Immigration Chief Cracks Down On Unwanted Foreigners

If you read the Thai press you'll see no shortage of nationalistic type comments from Gen Chatchawan.

The best thing Thailand could do to improve the perception the international community has of its economy and investment climate is not use army Generals' to run civil service departments (other than the army).

The Immigration Bureau is not a civil service department. It is a unit of the National Police. Its commissioner was incorrectly identified in the article as 'Lt Gen ...'; he is actually 'Pol Lt Gen...'

Thank you - you are correct - he is indeed a copper not an army man - well observed - still the point is, comments like his do little to engender an image condusive to investment.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He explained that Immigration will introduce a real-time national database called “Pisces” (Personal Identification Secure Comparison Evaluation System) as well as Advanced Passenger Process (APP) and Advanced Passenger Information (API) computer systems so that officers can quickly and more effectively process arrivals.

As the new IT database systems are already named, has anybody ever heard of them. In the west it would take years of planning (and multiple budget overdraws) to create such a thing, so surely there must be some documentation about this from different sources?

I am sure the Phuket Gazette will quote multiple opinions from the various involved government agencies in their print version, but as we have only the online article as source, maybe somebody can write more here?

PISCES is already 10 years old and was first deployed for the CIA by Booze Allen Hamilton etc. The software has been adopted by dozens of countries including Cambodia, Philiphines, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh. It's supported and updated by the US Dept of State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PISCES

Immigration I reckon that's the worst problem facing Thailand Im sure it will help, thank God the economy is in good shape and the Thais are all happy with the current situation except for those darn Farang (sarcasm)

I also wonder what protective, national right wing politics have got to do with attracting more investors?I think that politicians talking about,"national stability" don't have a clue how much the world has changed, with the global economy and internet.The world has become a smaller place where all possible people meet each other on all possible places, no matter the borders.Attracting investors demand open minded and progressive thinking and creating an economic and social stable community.With Army people involved of what should be a civil matter, thing doesn't look to bright...as always

Bit suprised at the level of reaction to this one. Noone can be suprised surely. Who cares anyway, not as if we farangs (notice the lower case 'f') have any say. Speculate we can and do, but it all means 'f all. Let everything take its natural course I say. LEEKPAI BACK AS P>M> IN A YEAR! oh yes!!

in the matters of wanting to make thailand a more 'investable' country, and make people have more respect for the region, will he work towards reducing the corrupt immigration offices at all the thai boarders? (especially poipet (which is nothing short of a farce) ,, and also nong-kai (laos), which has the most crazy exchange rate in place to rip off all people carrying thai baht, in order to get 10 dollars extra for the laos visa)

I am talking about the immigration staff from the 'neighbour' countries, (NOT thailand immigration officers).

also, will he give lessons to thai immigration officers in mathematics so that they can count 90 days (with the visa-waiver rules). I have personally had to correct one officers maths twice!!

also, why does the Airport have ONE DAY FREE OVERSTAY??? why is this not also at the boarders? why is the airport special?

on a side note, it would be good if the thai immigration website could be made more accessible and have the rules of this 90 days waiver visa written more clearly.

also, having a GOOD english speaker on the help-line would make thailand more foreign-friendly!!

if he wants to make people invest in thailand and trust thailand,, how about resolving the many un-resolved issues :o

it would certainly make foreigners lives easier!

and if thailand wants foreiogn investment, it has to make more foreign-friendly policies!!

I'm assuming that you live in Thailand year round, if this is the case, I guess the shoe is clearly on the other foot, and YOU should learn Thai instead of immigration having to invest in their English skills. Let's face it, most people that come here as genuine tourist, don't have to talk to immigration anyway, they just get stamped in and leave after their time is up.

You should count yourself very lucky that Thailand has these very easy immigration rules, and that Thailand continues to let people live here year round on combination of exempt stamps and tourist visas. Without paying any income tax, like other people that do have proper visas and do have work.

You know back in my home country (the Netherlands), they have simple immigration rules, you can come on a tourist visa, (Schengen Visa, 90 days maximum) and you can only return 180 days after your first arrival, which technically means 90 days in and 90 days out. No border runs, no back to back tourists visas nothing. If you want to stay longer, you'll have to pass an exam, which entails Dutch language and knowledge of the society. I'm not necessarily in agreement with these strict requirements, just pointing out that they do exists.

in the matters of wanting to make thailand a more 'investable' country, and make people have more respect for the region, will he work towards reducing the corrupt immigration offices at all the thai boarders? (especially poipet (which is nothing short of a farce) ,, and also nong-kai (laos), which has the most crazy exchange rate in place to rip off all people carrying thai baht, in order to get 10 dollars extra for the laos visa)

I am talking about the immigration staff from the 'neighbour' countries, (NOT thailand immigration officers).

also, will he give lessons to thai immigration officers in mathematics so that they can count 90 days (with the visa-waiver rules). I have personally had to correct one officers maths twice!!

also, why does the Airport have ONE DAY FREE OVERSTAY??? why is this not also at the boarders? why is the airport special?

on a side note, it would be good if the thai immigration website could be made more accessible and have the rules of this 90 days waiver visa written more clearly.

also, having a GOOD english speaker on the help-line would make thailand more foreign-friendly!!

if he wants to make people invest in thailand and trust thailand,, how about resolving the many un-resolved issues :o

and if thailand wants foreiogn investment, it has to make more foreign-friendly policies!!

I'm assuming that you live in Thailand year round, if this is the case, I guess the shoe is clearly on the other foot, and YOU should learn Thai instead of immigration having to invest in their English skills. Let's face it, most people that come here as genuine tourist, don't have to talk to immigration anyway, they just get stamped in and leave after their time is up.

You should count yourself very lucky that Thailand has these very easy immigration rules, and that Thailand continues to let people live here year round on combination of exempt stamps and tourist visas. Without paying any income tax, like other people that do have proper visas and do have work.

You know back in my home country (the Netherlands), they have simple immigration rules, you can come on a tourist visa, (Schengen Visa, 90 days maximum) and you can only return 180 days after your first arrival, which technically means 90 days in and 90 days out. No border runs, no back to back tourists visas nothing. If you want to stay longer, you'll have to pass an exam, which entails Dutch language and knowledge of the society. I'm not necessarily in agreement with these strict requirements, just pointing out that they do exists.

Same in belgium :D

Come on guys these releases are not for us, they are for the Thai's.

Something seems to come up about every nime months or so, sort of liking having a baby :o

Now if they were really going to do somehting about photos of your house, do you think they would tell you about it.

Anyone remember when you had to take a map to your house to them, along with photos of you and yuor wife in the house. On on my fifth non O annual and I have never been asked for that. I think some guys actually did do it. But it just went away. Over five years since the first annual and I stilll have to do the same things I did the for the renewal that I did when I got the first one.

Informants I know one guy who has been investigated on the basis of an informant. Without going into to much info, owned a mansion in a remote village, drove a nice SUV and never worked. So they served a search warrant on his house looking for drugs, There wern't any here and he got a written apology.

The other side of the coin is they sometimes do find farrangs that are dirty based on the same kind of Info. So maybe they don't have ID cards but Thai's know when you sneeze that is just a part of living here. Some could care less others are green with envy.

So if they catch crooks, pedo's ect. at the borders only a problem if you happen to be one.

I wouldn't get to worked up about this. Remember it's supposed to make Thai's feel better

There is a difference.. In Holland and most of the EEC they have a problem with new and poorer countries having joined in and are now covered by social security etc when relocating to Holland. Very few if any speak the language as Dutch isnt easely learned.... From what I have seen from Thailand quite a few people in Europe figured out that having you car stolen and ending up in Eastern Europe might not have been planned but is happening!

I have been here 20 years and maybe about 15 years years in England on trips to the ME.

Anyway, if you donot speak Dutch there arent really jobs...

To me, helping clean up Phuket's image would include a working police force that actually patrols the road. Police seem to come out of the woodwork when a VIP is in town... most of the time they seem to not exist... :D

Not a day goes by that I don't see someone (or more like many someones) blatantly running red lights. Saphan Hin is a perfect example of where teenagers can do pretty-much anything they want... run lights, run away from police (see it a few times), race, try to pop wheelies, throw trash all over the place, drive recklessly, etc, etc. :D:o I kinda get the impression that they don't care. Oh well, so be it. It's a nice place and it could be nicer is all I'm saying.

I don't disagree with what the good Lt Gen is saying, but there are some internal problems with locals that should be addressed as well. If they can do all they're saying here, well done! I hope they carry on with cleaning up the problems with teenagers too. :D

Really bloody bugs me those who come here for the culture, lifestyle, personal freedoms then start whining about clamping everybody else for their personal whims. Whole country has to change for you does it? What about a bit of live & let live?

Anyone remember when you had to take a map to your house to them, along with photos of you and yuor wife in the house. On on my fifth non O annual and I have never been asked for that. I think some guys actually did do it. But it just went away. Over five years since the first annual and I stilll have to do the same things I did the for the renewal that I did when I got the first one.

Do you mean getting a new multiple entry Non O visa each year, or applying for extension of stay?

This is one of many quintessential press releases by a Thai ministry who’s turn it is to justify their meager existence. The catchy system names and superlatives are very similar to any western puff piece used when rolling out a new product or service. Substitute a Sony, HP or IBM and it sounds just like their product release announcement.

What a load

I don't think I have ever read more crap in just one article in all my life

Here's some sentiments I echo.

ray23

> Come on guys these releases are not for us, they are for the Thai's.

Exactly so...when someone in a uniform makes a press release like this, talking about "taking care of Thais and Thailand", and playing the high-tech card, the folks up in Isaan, to most of whom broadcast television is ultra-high-tech, are going to react in a positive way...same with Thaksin's handouts when he was PM.

Meanwhile, Immigration does everything on multiple sheets of paper, each with 4 different stamps....

ray23

>Anyone remember when you had to take a map to your house to them, along with photos of you and yuor wife in the house. On on my fifth non O >annual and I have never been asked for that. I think some guys actually did do it. But it just went away. Over five years since the first annual and >I stilll have to do the same things I did the for the renewal that I did when I got the first one.

I went for my extension based on marriage yesterday, first time. I was not asked for the photos, even though I had them. He did take the map, I think only because he saw it when I pulled out some other documents.

ray23

>Informants I know one guy who has been investigated on the basis of an informant. Without going into to much info, owned a mansion in a remote >village, drove a nice SUV and never worked. So they served a search warrant on his house looking for drugs, There wern't any here and he got a >written apology.

I would submit that this type of occurance is not unique to Thailand. If you behave in certain ways, which do not necessarily have to be illegal or nefarious, you will call attention to yourself. Police play the odds, and "no visible means of support" quite often means "illicit means of support".

Let me guess...I am thinking that the police showed up at his house, likely several of them in "normal uniform", with a high-ranker in attendance. Politely knocked on the door and took care of their business. Correct?

Contrast that with a similar situation in USA (my country, BTW). This would have entailed SWAT teams, middle of the night break down the door, yelling, swearing, ski-masked cops heavily armed swarming through the house roughing people up and breaking things.

ray23

>So if they catch crooks, pedo's ect. at the borders only a problem if you happen to be one.

Every country has the right to police their borders.

Funny enough, of the several countries that I have visited in the course of my work, the place where I was made to feel most like a criminal on entry and sometimes exit, is Canada.

ray23

>I wouldn't get to worked up about this. Remember it's supposed to make Thai's feel better

Yes...for show more than anything

In addition, details of where foreigners reside, including satellite pictures with details of where foreigners live, are now stored on a centralized database and monitored for irregularities, he said.

I would be quite interested to hear where those sat pics are supposed to come from: as surely a commercial provider must be used, this might be quite a cost. Not that I am assuming here that the Thai government would simply steal them from a free service like Google Earth, there are now extremely strict guidelines against all this kind of illegal stuff in place here on Phuket. :D

What the hel_l is this supposed to tell anyone? My house is hidden under a cloud on google Earth! :o

But the assumption must be anyway that they are not using Google Earth, but a commercial service -- that's a lot of very expensive photographs.

As all those many pedophiles are not so easy to spot from space I guess they must plan to go for the really good ones where you can read cars' number plates and maybe the angry frown in the face of the caught-out criminals...

“The system is not only to arrest illegal immigrants but also to offer higher levels of safety and protection to VIP visitors. In order for the database to be practical, only those with visas that allow longer stays and VIPS are monitored,” Gen Chatchawan explained.

According to this those on a tourist visa will not be monitored. Only those of us on visas that allow longer stays.

"Do you mean getting a new multiple entry Non O visa each year, or applying for extension of stay? "

I suppose it is an extension, but the process is exactly the same as the firs time.

No door kicked down no guns stuck in anyones face :o

LMAO

Funniest thread on TV for ages. It reminds me of the visa change thread 2-3 years ago in which the same thing happened - moral outrage, fear and petty griping by those here on tenuous grounds.

It's a shame. It really is.

Funny to hear those who want to leave because of the changes . . what's stopping you all?

Agreed...remember the puling and hand-wringing when the "90 days in 180 on visa-exempt stamps" rule was implemented? All we heard about was how *every* farang was leaving for "better places" (Cambo, Laos, PI) and Thailand would be a ghost town, "we are not wanted here", "I will take my money elsewhere", brah brah brah, waah waah waah.

Two years on, it seems like there are just as many farang staying long-term as ever.

IMO, that rule was a good step...although companies like Jack's Golf certainly did not like it. Those of us who want to do things the proper way are welcome here...Thailand has enough so-called "English teachers".

We can delude ourselves however we want, but we truly are guests in this country. Those of us who truly want to stay, as opposed to "stay if it is easy", will take the necessary steps to legimitize our presence. Yes, it is a bit of a nuisance, but really...does/did anyone truly enjoy doing "visa runs"?

In the four years that I have been here I have done one visa run to Laos (I was transitioning from Non-B extension to Non-O, had not had time to go to USA for the Non-O) on a 30-day stamp...what a pain in the ass that was, to me anyway. I cannot imagine doing that nonsense on a monthly basis for years on end. Given my recent experience at Northeast Immigration (Korat), I would much rather go there 5 times per year (Extension application; extension "grant"; 3 90-day reports (which can also be done by post, so I understand)) than do monthly, or even once every 3 months, visa runs.

Before someone comes back with the "I am retired with limited funds" argument, or any other financial-based excuse...so what? Either you can afford to be here legitimately or you cannot...end of story. We are all subject to "limited funds"...granted, some peoples limits are higher than others. Thailand, or any other country for that matter (other than your home country), is not obligated to take you in because your circumstances have not allowed you to provide for a comfortable retirement. And again I would ask...is doing several visa runs per year really cheaper than doing things the proper way? 1900 THB for the visa extension and 3800 THB for the multiple re-entry permit (if needed) seems reasonable to me.

Same goes for those who would say "My circumstances do not qualify me for a visa extension"...either you can be here or cannot.

ray23

> Come on guys these releases are not for us, they are for the Thai's.

Exactly so...when someone in a uniform makes a press release like this, talking about "taking care of Thais and Thailand", and playing the high-tech card, the folks up in Isaan, to most of whom broadcast television is ultra-high-tech, are going to react in a positive way...same with Thaksin's handouts when he was PM.

I do not believe that upcountry Thais from Isaan would hear very much of these remarks; theior worries are really very much elsewhere.

BTW, many Thais I met during my last visit in Isaan were quite surprised that I would need any visa at all, they just assume that we pay some money and then are allowed to stay rather as we please. No concept at all of the hoops we have to jump through (but then I was in villages with zero farang population).

Presumably, much more a target is the Phuket or Pattaya Thai middle class who believes that we are taking their jobs away (eg Thais can run a hotel or dive shop so much better and no money is bypassing them).

A four star police general is....a Thai politician. Nobody believes.

Well said ........ they come by the truckload (there are more Generals in the Thai army than there are in the whole of the USA defence structure) and they are moved around from position to position like skittles - seldom stay in a position long enough to implement policy changes of any significance.

LMAO

Funniest thread on TV for ages. It reminds me of the visa change thread 2-3 years ago in which the same thing happened - moral outrage, fear and petty griping by those here on tenuous grounds.

It's a shame. It really is.

Funny to hear those who want to leave because of the changes . . what's stopping you all?

Agreed...remember the puling and hand-wringing when the "90 days in 180 on visa-exempt stamps" rule was implemented? All we heard about was how *every* farang was leaving for "better places" (Cambo, Laos, PI) and Thailand would be a ghost town, "we are not wanted here", "I will take my money elsewhere", brah brah brah, waah waah waah.

Two years on, it seems like there are just as many farang staying long-term as ever.

IMO, that rule was a good step...although companies like Jack's Golf certainly did not like it. Those of us who want to do things the proper way are welcome here...Thailand has enough so-called "English teachers".

We can delude ourselves however we want, but we truly are guests in this country. Those of us who truly want to stay, as opposed to "stay if it is easy", will take the necessary steps to legimitize our presence. Yes, it is a bit of a nuisance, but really...does/did anyone truly enjoy doing "visa runs"?

In the four years that I have been here I have done one visa run to Laos (I was transitioning from Non-B extension to Non-O, had not had time to go to USA for the Non-O) on a 30-day stamp...what a pain in the ass that was, to me anyway. I cannot imagine doing that nonsense on a monthly basis for years on end. Given my recent experience at Northeast Immigration (Korat), I would much rather go there 5 times per year (Extension application; extension "grant"; 3 90-day reports (which can also be done by post, so I understand)) than do monthly, or even once every 3 months, visa runs.

Before someone comes back with the "I am retired with limited funds" argument, or any other financial-based excuse...so what? Either you can afford to be here legitimately or you cannot...end of story. We are all subject to "limited funds"...granted, some peoples limits are higher than others. Thailand, or any other country for that matter (other than your home country), is not obligated to take you in because your circumstances have not allowed you to provide for a comfortable retirement. And again I would ask...is doing several visa runs per year really cheaper than doing things the proper way? 1900 THB for the visa extension and 3800 THB for the multiple re-entry permit (if needed) seems reasonable to me.

Same goes for those who would say "My circumstances do not qualify me for a visa extension"...either you can be here or cannot.

I have lived here for five years now, Never done a visa run. never gone back to UK, have been on hols to other asian countries with a re-entry stamp. have my standard pack still from first applying, updates everyyear, tax returns, etc. down to BKK each year two runs as I am married. post my 90 days 2 weeks before due.

No not big money,just enough! also work as Teacher to keep my self active.and help to sort out tax returns a big 1500 per year, plus helps towards making sure my funds meet the requirements, (previous years tax returns do that!)

Follow the rules of my new country. follow the updates, take most of what I read on blogs with a pinch of salt, pop to the various offices and get it from the horses mouth!

GUESS WHAT? NO PROBS!

My advice find out yourselves and then ask Thai's for help, even through you know the answer! make them feel happy that they help you, and everything will be fine! But, stop underhand payments and treats, even the police who stop you , don't give in! most fines are in the 200b region! pay it and get a receipt! and of cause never show weakness by shouting etc., and more inportant train your other half, not to wind you up, by going dumb, when you need help to speak about your requests at that important interview!

Edited by peterandcat

peterandcat > ...and more inportant train your other half, not to wind you up, by going dumb, when you need help to speak about your requests at that important interview!

This is a very important point. I have finally gotten my wife trained in this aspect. Nothing frustrates me more than going to some Thai government office, with her there to help me, and she will not explain to me what is happening, or will not ask, because she does not understand.

She is starting to understand the "farang" concept of knowing what you need beforehand and going to the office prepared, rather than the normal Thai way of:

(1) Go to government office

(2) Talk to people, find out the next piece of paper you need, but only find out about the next paper, do not find out about all

(3) Go where you need to go to get that paper

If home

goto (1)

else

goto (2)

I have her about convinced, that at least with me, "I do not know" is an acceptable answer

Edited by mgjackson69

Good initiative, but.....

They can't even make the IT systems at the Immigration Offices work.

Do they honestly believe that this will improve investments?

We need more 'Advanced' in those names for them to work at all :o

This is yet another offensive from a Thai official who need to bring himself in focus for a few days.

I doubt it will ever happen.

Probably the best system at present is the E-Gate system in Dubai (and being rolled out throughout the UAE). Eligibility is residents and a certain list of other nationalities (including UK, US and most of EU). It takes about 30 mins to register with photo and then to have a digital set of fingerprints taken. From then on all you do on arrival or departure is to touch the card to the entry pad at immigration and gate A oprns. You then put the chosen finger on the scanner and as long as the system recognises it, gate B opens and you are through - no passport stamp. If system acts up, the immigration officer at the E-Gate handles it manually - no need to join the general queue

Actually HK and Singapore have the same system. Those with Frequent Visitor cards and APEC cards (I believe) can register upon arrival to HK passport check.

I live in Singapore and the people who use the electronic system are those Singaporean passport holders with newer passports. APEC/ Diplomats go through another queue and myself go though the quicker queue for Singaporeans and residents.

China introduced some really stringent visa regulations in April also to improve national stability but they didn't improve investor confidence. In fact they made it so much harder for businessmen to enter the country that analysts are factoring in dip in exports as a direct result. That aside the speech is quite funny - a string of utterly vacuous bureaucratic buzzworks strung together from the latest offsite government management seminar thinly applied over a deep foundation of traditional Thai xenophobia. I wonder how hard the police tried to identify the employer behind the trafficking of the Burmese that were killed in the refrigeration truck. The new VIP card sounds based on the Elite card and would no doubt be very expensive, if it were ever to see the light of day.

The Sarayudh government's feeble attempt at police reform went nowhere but did raise a critical point in Thai society. The police badly needs to be decentralized and made accountable. Non police functions such as immigration and fire services need to removed from the police and put in the hands of new specialized agencies that are not imbued with police culture. Immigration will always be inefficient and opaque while it is part of the police.

The original heading in the Gazette reads: Immigration Chief targets 'national stability'. By making it read Immigration Chief Cracks Down On Unwanted Foreigners, Targets ‘national stability’ the Thai Visa version takes a leap in another direction and generates unnecessary alarm.

The article is poorly written, confused and confusing. It is impossible to fathom just exactly what's being proposed. More time should have been spent getting the facts right in the first place.

I have her about convinced, that at least with me, "I do not know" is an acceptable answer

MY GOD!!! how did you THAT?!?!?!

have you also taught her how to say "I don't understand" insteading of just smiling and pretending?

:D:o

MY GOD!!! how did you THAT?!?!?!

have you also taught her how to say "I don't understand" insteading of just smiling and pretending?

:D:o

I took the following approach. When I would ask a question and she would not immediately answer "Yes" or "No", and I could tell that she was not thinking considering her answer, I would simply say, "'I do not know' is an acceptable answer". It took a while but it seems to have soaked in. I am always careful to say, "If you do not know it is ok, tell me and we will see about how we can find out". I think giving her an out made it happen.

"I don't understand"...that is improving as well. When I explain something or ask something, if an answer or "ack" is not forthcoming, I will usually ask, politely, "Do you understand?" The response is usually "Yes" (= yes), "Not sure" (= I am close, please explain or ask again), or "Maybe" (in a light-hearted tone, = I do not have a farging clue).

The original heading in the Gazette reads: Immigration Chief targets 'national stability'. By making it read Immigration Chief Cracks Down On Unwanted Foreigners, Targets 'national stability' the Thai Visa version takes a leap in another direction and generates unnecessary alarm.

You’ve got a point there. In fact “crack down” is not mentioned anywhere in the article, and only as part of the photo caption does it say “check on unwanted foreigners”. I read this to mean that a database is consulted to check if a person for whom an international arrest warrant has arrived is recorded in the database. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

The article is poorly written, confused and confusing. It is impossible to fathom just exactly what's being proposed. More time should have been spent getting the facts right in the first place.

Unfortunately, a lot of English-language articles published in local rags are poorly written and often giving wrong information.

--

Maestro