Best Way To Get To Koh Phangan From Chiang Mai

Hi!

I want to go to Koh Phangan in mid-august, what is the best and cheapest way from Chiangmai?

According to my old Lonely Planet, it seams like the train 3rd class would be cheaper froom Bangkok to Surat Thani.

Then, from Surat Thani is it cheaper to get a direct boat to Koh Phan Gan, or to go to Don Sak?

-David

two options

fastest - Fly from Chaing Mai to samui, then get a boat across

or get a flight to BKK, with a bus or train to Surrathani, then to samui or donsak then get the boat

the flight way ay cost you 2K more, but better then the hassle and the 12 hour bus/train ride

tx

Hi!

I want to go to Koh Phangan in mid-august, what is the best and cheapest way from Chiangmai?

According to my old Lonely Planet, it seams like the train 3rd class would be cheaper froom Bangkok to Surat Thani.

Then, from Surat Thani is it cheaper to get a direct boat to Koh Phan Gan, or to go to Don Sak?

-David

sure the 3rd class is cheapest, but you not really want to use 3rd class, because 2nd class sleeper is cheap also :o and much much much more comfortable. You have a bed with bedsheets and pillow.

Cheapest way to the islands is always the night boat in Suratthani, 2nd Songserm, outside Suratthani, 3rd Raja Ferry (280) and this one leaves from Donsak and is the best choice! Shuttle bus from the railway station to all pier's, to be paid extra.

Easy and cheap this day's: from BKK by Songserm, Lomprayah or Seatran, buy a Joint Ticket (Starting Kaosan Road) to Chumpon by Bus. Chumpon - Ko Tao - Ko Phangan by one of this 3 liners (above). Seatran is here best choise

have a good trip