Tt&t, Hinet And Tot, True

LivinLOS

I have JI net currently and thier service is more expensive but I belive a bit better in quality..

I recently installed a TT&T Hinet system for my buddy (total nightmare.. They ballsed the TT&T to CAT connection and EVERYONE simply pointed the finger of blame at each other for days and day.. Engineers came, cited different reasons (all covering thier companies ass) and left.. I finally found a honest engineer in the local exchange who worked through and found we have a dicky bit of HW in the telco exchange..

Anyhoo.. His speeds, while variable, are consistantly better than mine at about 1/2 price, so i am thinking of moving to these new cheap CAT packages..

The only thing is I know some ports are blocked.. P2P would be a minor loss but I use a lot of odd stuff (voip / gaming / etc) and need to know what ports are open or not and then work out of my essential apps can be configured to still work..

Does anyone have a current list of open or blocked ports ?? I would probably be TOT and true as thats the line I have..

I previously had TSpeed (hinet). Now I have Ji-net. After months of frustration trying to get Vonage voip to work with TSpeed, I found that CAT blocks the neccessary ports. Don't bother trying to get a list from CAT. they will never call you back and they will never give you any useful information or assistance whatsoever.

I had used other voip applications with TSpeed without any problems- Skype and Voiceglo, but Vonage is far, far superior.

Now I pay nearly 3 times as much and its half the speed of TSpeed, but that's the way it goes.

Good luck!

I have JI net currently and thier service is more expensive but I belive a bit better in quality..

I recently installed a TT&T Hinet system for my buddy (total nightmare.. They ballsed the TT&T to CAT connection and EVERYONE simply pointed the finger of blame at each other for days and day.. Engineers came, cited different reasons (all covering thier companies ass) and left.. I finally found a honest engineer in the local exchange who worked through and found we have a dicky bit of HW in the telco exchange..

Anyhoo.. His speeds, while variable, are consistantly better than mine at about 1/2 price, so i am thinking of moving to these new cheap CAT packages..

The only thing is I know some ports are blocked.. P2P would be a minor loss but I use a lot of odd stuff (voip / gaming / etc) and need to know what ports are open or not and then work out of my essential apps can be configured to still work..

Does anyone have a current list of open or blocked ports ?? I would probably be TOT and true as thats the line I have..

Well I know skype would work as its on port 80 and they could hardly block that...

However what about gaming ???

I was even told they block the port for SMTP so no outlook (that seems extreeme) or POP mail use (for outbound)...

Have you tried skype recently.. I fail to see what could be better, the call quality is quite simply perfect... I get solid clear cals globally and never a dropped line.. Once in a blue moon I get an echo but hang up and redial and its fine.. Its really progressed as its user base has grown

I tried Skype 4 months ago or so. Always had a 2 or 3 second delay. Even if you get perfect quality, what could be better is having phone numbers anywhere in the the US, UK or Mexico. When people call your number in these countries your phone rings here, not your computer. You don't even need a computer. I have a couple numbers in the US. When my sister in Denver wants to call me, she makes a free local call and my phone rings here. I pay nothing for the call and neither does she and its perfect quality. $25 a month flat rate for unlimited calls in the US. Good international rates too. 3cents and 4cents to many major countries. No problem accessing toll free numbers. Three way calling, call waiting, call forwarding to any number in the US, caller ID, voice mail. Two lines are available too. So you could have a dedicated fax line if desired.

That's what could be better!