Quad Accident

UKTHAIFAN

WE WERE ON KO TAO ON HOLIDAY 10TH TIME THAILAND,RENTED QUAD DROVE 200 METERS UP HILL TO HOTEL LOADED UP PARTNER AND HEADED BACK DOWN HILL,UNFORTUNATLY BRAKES DIDNOT WORK SO ENDED UP DOING APPROX 30 40 MPH INTO SECURITY BOX .I GOT 40 STICHES IN HEAD 4 BROKEN VERTIBRA IN NECK (BROKEN NECK) DISCOLATED ELBOW,DISCOLATED THUMB,BROKEN BONE IN HAND.PARTNER GOT BROKEN COLLAR BONE,2 BROKEN TOES.17 DAYS IN THAI INTERNATIONAL HOSPITAL KO SAMUI(GREAT).THANKFULLY HAD TRAVEL INSURANCE THAT PAID OUT APPROX £20,000.POLICE DONOT SEEM TO HAVE BEEN CALLED.THANKFULLY HOTEL OWNER GOT PASSPORT BACK FROM BIKE RENTER ,BUT NOW SAYS THAT RENTER WANTS PAYMENT FOR NEW BIKE.IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY I WOULD BE SUING THEM FOR ALL DAMAGE DUE TO FAULTY BIKE.WE WOULD LIKE TO RETURN TO THAILAND IN FUTURE. ANY THOUGHTS.THANKS

WE WERE ON KO TAO ON HOLIDAY 10TH TIME THAILAND,RENTED QUAD DROVE 200 METERS UP HILL TO HOTEL LOADED UP PARTNER AND HEADED BACK DOWN HILL,UNFORTUNATLY BRAKES DIDNOT WORK SO ENDED UP DOING APPROX 30 40 MPH INTO SECURITY BOX .I GOT 40 STICHES IN HEAD 4 BROKEN VERTIBRA IN NECK (BROKEN NECK) DISCOLATED ELBOW,DISCOLATED THUMB,BROKEN BONE IN HAND.PARTNER GOT BROKEN COLLAR BONE,2 BROKEN TOES.17 DAYS IN THAI INTERNATIONAL HOSPITAL KO SAMUI(GREAT).THANKFULLY HAD TRAVEL INSURANCE THAT PAID OUT APPROX £20,000.POLICE DONOT SEEM TO HAVE BEEN CALLED.THANKFULLY HOTEL OWNER GOT PASSPORT BACK FROM BIKE RENTER ,BUT NOW SAYS THAT RENTER WANTS PAYMENT FOR NEW BIKE.IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY I WOULD BE SUING THEM FOR ALL DAMAGE DUE TO FAULTY BIKE.WE WOULD LIKE TO RETURN TO THAILAND IN FUTURE. ANY THOUGHTS.THANKS

WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING!!!!

Stuff the rental firm. Surely your Insurance Company will have a legal team who can advise you what to do.

I doubt very much that this would stop you from entering Thailand again. Look at all the other dodgy character's entering.

Anyway, hope all is well soon.

Good luck and best wishes.

Please don`t post in upper case letters (capital letters).

Thanks

Thanks

Such warmth!!!!

Rule #1. Never, ever, give your passport to anyone for any reason.

Rule #2. When in doubt, re-read rule #1.

If you are planning to tell the rental company to get stuffed, as someone else suggested, I would belay that, not say anything to them about anything, and just get the heck outta Dodge and make any other Thailand stays far away from there. Unfortunately, I fear that pressing the matter further may not be in your better interests.

This guy and his partner almost died by all accounts and is now being harrassed for 1000 of $$$$ by some shady businessman and people are being pedantic about him breaking that pathetic 13 year old girls rule of the internet..........unbelievable.

Edited by boiledegg

This guy and his partner almost died by all accounts and is now being harrassed for 1000 of $$$$ by some shady businessman and people are being pedantic about him breaking that pathetic 13 year old girls rule of the internet..........unbelievable.

You realize you have just called the OP acting like a 13 year old girl don’t you? OP id give this egg a cracking.

Edited by RakJungTorlae

Has it been established by anyone else except the OP, that the brakes indeed didnot work??

From what i understand it is now the hotelowner who is telling you that the guy you rented from wants money?

Did the rental firm/guy ever contact you directly?

Is your passport in your hands now?

Edited by Carib

and just get the heck outta Dodge

I would suggest this is somewhere near the advice that you should be heeding.

are being pedantic about him breaking that pathetic 13 year old girls rule of the internet..........unbelievable.

Perhaps they are just imparting advice that upper case is considered shouting and bad 'netiquette', as the OP posted completely in U.C there is considerable chance he is unaware of this.

When your point is not being heard, stepping two feet closer and raising your voice a few octaves rarely has the desired effect.

I would get the tourist police involved and demand payment of your doctor bills from the bike owner: or leave town: or pay.

I can’t believe you got on a Thai motorcycle without checking the brakes or the horn.

Livesteam

Just one point before taking it any further. Quads are DESIGNED for SOLO use. No passengers. They usually have a big sign on them stating this. The Big seat is so you can move your weight around to balance etc..

Stuff the rental firm. Surely your Insurance Company will have a legal team who can advise you what to do.
If there money is being covered by insurance then surely they will be a claim from the insurance company against the rental company for negligence.

However: As the police were not involved there is no evidence or police report to base any future case on.

BUT NOW SAYS THAT RENTER WANTS PAYMENT FOR NEW BIKE.
Where you driving without insurance cover for the Quad? Did you sign a contract saying that you would cover costs in the event of an accident?

Many bike rental companies don't have insurance cover - this is a risk to consider when you pay cheap rates for bike hire.

IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY I WOULD BE SUING THEM FOR ALL DAMAGE DUE TO FAULTY BIKE.
So what is stopping you do that here?

Just an observation - did you rely on the Quad being perfect when you rented it - did you not test the brakes etc?

There are a couple of lessons to be learned from an incident like this, thank you for sharing.

Im Sad to hear of your news and hope that you are making a good recovery...

Unfortunately You have Zero chance of getting anything more than 30,000bht in compensation assuming the Quad was registered and insured which I very much doubt.

Your rather fourtunate the insurance co paid out. assumming the following:(please accept my apologies if wrong)

quad engine was over 125cc.

You and passenger had no helmet on

No International driving liscence.

Quad designed for single person use

Regarding the owner asking for cash....Ask them

If Quad was registered and insured under Thai law.

Get a Thai lawyer to check the validity of rental contract ( will it stand up in court? ).

Alternatively Koh tao is a small speck of an island there are plenty of other places to go in the future.

Again I hope that you both make a full recovery.

TO THOSE THAT ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE CAPS USE GET A LIFE !!

Just one point before taking it any further. Quads are DESIGNED for SOLO use. No passengers. They usually have a big sign on them stating this. The Big seat is so you can move your weight around to balance etc..

I didn't know that :o

Suspect you are right though and in which case two people on a bike that only has enough braking power for one must eventualy lead to broken bones.

I have seen this soooooo many times on koh tao.

tourist comes.

tourist wants to rent bike.

thinks that a quad is safe because it has 4 wheels although it is not. it is very unstable.

drives it with a passenger although it is not allowed.

drives it without helmet and proper clothing.

these quads do not have license plates and are not insured. they are illegal to drive on the island.

if the police make a report they will state in there that the quad is not legal to drive on koh tao so the insurance companies will not pay.

now that the OP made his mistake and destroyed a motorbike .he doesn't want to pay for that bike and sew the owner of the bike?. what a lowlife.

he says the brakes didn't work. bla bla bla. if he knows how to drive a motorbike he would have known after maximum 20 seconds that the brakes were faulty if they were so.

did he leave his brain at home when he came to thailand?

there are t shirts being sold now on ko tao that say on the back ATVS SUCK

nobody that lives here like them. only morons that cannot drive rent them.

I doubt very much that this would stop you from entering Thailand again. Look at all the other dodgy character's entering.

very nice attitude here.

imagine you rent out bikes for a living and some idiot that doesn't know how to ride a bike breaks it and does a runner, how would you feel.

Poker kid .

Great attitude for someone who is living on what used to be a real chilled out island, you are right in what you state however regarding the legalities.

Maybe my 60 year old mother was a moron as she enjoyed the independence it gave her on her last visit.

Unfortunately the new cool instructors who believe its ok to tear round pissed put her of somewhat.

Take a trip to two views or Laem Tian and chill a little.

Poker kid .

Great attitude for someone who is living on what used to be a real chilled out island, you are right in what you state however regarding the legalities.

Maybe my 60 year old mother was a moron as she enjoyed the independence it gave her on her last visit.

Unfortunately the new cool instructors who believe its ok to tear round pissed put her of somewhat.

Take a trip to two views or Laem Tian and chill a little.

I know I know.

like you say . it used to be.

i consider people that don't know how to properly drive a motorbike and still rent one while on holiday morrons. also people who know how to drive and drive under the influence of whatever are morrons too.

but i guess it is ok for me to drive while drunk since i am an "old" instructor and am not cool at all :D

i love driving to Liam tian on my 250 cc two stroke motorcross bike. you can get some good air time driving on that road. only the pedestrians don't seem to happy about it. But hey, they should rent a bike, preferably a quad and sponsor the local health clinics.

ok, that last part about the 250 cc bike is not true. i just drive a ratty old honda dream. :o

Will have zero impact on you entering Thailand again - no whatsoever - immigration/police couldn't care a stuff.

Any dispute over damage to the Quad is a civil matter, not a criminal matter and not a police matter - sadly most tourists do not realise this. Holding passports for payment of monies owed is also a no no - it is not allowed and the police know it.

very nice attitude here.

imagine you rent out bikes for a living and some idiot that doesn't know how to ride a bike breaks it and does a runner, how would you feel.

I would'nt rent out vehicles with faulty brakes mate. Simple. Like i said, stuff the rental firm. The kid nearly died because of faults with the brakes. Wake up and get yourself into the real World!! Next.