Dengue Outbreak Hits Bangkok, 48 Dead Nationwide So Far

george

Dengue outbreak hits Bangkok, 48 dead so far

BANGKOK: -- Dengue fever has spread across the country, killing 48 people and infecting more than 40,000 so far this year, Public Health Minister Wicharn Meenchainant said yesterday.

Up to last Saturday, 41,307 patients have been diagnosed nationwide with dengue haemorrhagic fever and Bangkok was the hardest hit with 3,763 patients, according to the Disease Control Department's Bureau of Epidemiology.

Ratchaburi suffered the second worst outbreak with 1,710 victims, followed by Nakhon Sawan with 1,582, Phetchabun with 1,304 and Rayong with 1,291.

Vichan said the risk of catching dengue fever from mosquitoes this year was running high compared to last year, which saw 29 fatalities out of 60,000 cases.

The ministry's report identifies four strains. This year's seasonal epidemic was blamed on type 2, while last year type 1 was virulent.

People could hypothetically get infected by each of the four dengue strains separately in their lifetime.

Permanent secretary Prat Bunyawongwiroj said this year type 2 was more dangerous to humans as it was more resistant to the immune system.

Vichan has ordered provincial public health offices to strictly control and monitor the transmission of dengue fever among people in the local area.

Local authorities should spray insecticide to eradicate the adult Aedes aegypti mosquito, which bites humans in the daytime.

Residents should drain off any stagnant water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding and use abates sand, a pesticide, to destroy their larvae.

-- The Nation 2008-08-01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, I myself, much like Scott, or rarely bitten by mosquitoes...however the wife gets bitten all the time. Which only gets worse by the fact that she is allergic to them (as many other asian woman here is it seems) and get huge a allergic bump covering the bite area...I get minimal red marks only.

Indeed, I myself, much like Scott, or rarely bitten by mosquitoes...however the wife gets bitten all the time. Which only gets worse by the fact that she is allergic to them (as many other asian woman here is it seems) and get huge a allergic bump covering the bite area...I get minimal red marks only.

Same here, I hardly ever get bitten when with my wife as she seems to be a mozzie magnet.

I sometimes wonder if it has something to so with the blood in my alcohol stream. :o

Been to thailand for 5 years now and they still love my blood.I find vinegar can be a good repellant but cnt use it at night as i smell like a chip.The worst place i have been to for mozzies is Toronto,Canada,i got 52 bites on my legs and was sick for 2 days with flu like symptems.

Edited by poshthai

Residents should drain off any stagnant water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding and use abates sand, a pesticide, to destroy their larvae.

Does anyone know what "abates sand" is? If standing water is located in a place where draining is impossible e.g. a sump, is pouring a thin layer of some kind of oil on top a workable solution?

Been to thailand for 5 years now and they still love my blood.I find vinegar can be a good repellant but cnt use it at night as i smell like a chip.The worst place i have been to for mozzies is Toronto,Canada,i got 52 bites on my legs and was sick for 2 days with flu like symptems.

I have been to a number of garden supply shops in Chiang Mai attempting to find something I could use in a garden sprayer to kill mosquitoes around the house. Surprisingly they all state "Sorry, no have for mosquitoes". Anybody know what is available or what works? What does the government use?

Is it true that the most dangerous mozzies are the ones biting in daylight?

Note I am not an expert on mosquitos as I get rarely bitten but from what I heard over the last 20+ years in Thailand, its correct. They bite in the daytime and the back seems to be higher then the front. No idea if the other types look different.

A friend of mine almost got killed last year....

One of the Thai blokes at work claimed that by drinking 'whiskey', one deters mosquito bites and reduces the risk of catching dengue fever. Is there any truth in his comments?

it could be, but the difficult part is in getting the mosquitoes to drink..... :o

If it doesn't kill, you recover and then you will certainly agree that death was an option and would have been invited. Been there and had it. Nasty one. I begged for a gun. Bone crushing, body aching, hair even hurts and system flux and failure with heat will push you to a point of "Give me the gun" Always be ready to consult a doctor even if a false alarm.

Some public domain data on Dengue Fever.

Dengue Fever

The disease "dengue fever" is carried by a particular species of mosquito, the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which is active all day. It is on the rise to becoming one of the top public health problems in the tropics.

The mosquito which carries this virus is most common in urban areas around human dwellings, and is most active during the daytime. The Aedes mosquito breeds in clear water.

Symptoms usually start to appear between 5 and 7 days after being bitten. The symptoms include severe headaches, high fever which may fluctuate, bone aches (hence the slang name), joint and muscle pains, nausea and vomiting, and a rash of small red spots a few days after the onset of fever.

Dengue fever is a very serious illness, and you should go to a good doctor immediately for treatment. It can become fatal if the symptoms are allowed to progress over time to DHF (Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever), which is characterized by heavy bleeding, though DHF is thought to affect mainly longterm residents who have picked up more than one strain of the virus. Aspirin should be avoided, because aspirin reduces blood clotting and thus makes hemorrage more likely.

There is no vaccine against dengue fever, and no specific treatment. You'll have to follow the doctor's orders. Dengue fever is often mistaken for malaria, the flu (influenza) or something else. Malaria can be excluded by a blood test, and the indication of dengue can be inferred by a blood test. Recovery will take time, with tiredness sometimes lasting several weeks.

There are actually several types of dengue fever (currently listed as four), and it's also known as breakbone fever. In Thailand, the dengue type has shifted from predominantly "breed one" to majority "breed two" as of early 2008.

Research revealed that the Aedes aegypti mosquito that carries dengue does not travel far from its breeding place, unlike other species of mosquito, which explains why dengue outbreaks tend to occur in localized areas of a few hundred meters radius. It is believed that dengue spread by infected human migrant workers more than migrant mosquitoes. Therefore, when an outbreak can be determined in a particular location, the authorities may come and spray. However, given that urban dwellers tend to travel around the city and symptoms start around 5 to 7 days later, it's not always clear where the infection occured. Nonetheless, if someone living near you gets dengue, and especially if another person living near you also gets dengue, then maybe it's time for a vacation. However, rarely have two people of the same family gotten dengue, so don't impulsively run like it's the plague.

It is projected that in 2008, there will be around 25,000 to 30,000 reported cases in Thailand. If we set it at 35,000 out of a population of 70 million, that would mean about 1 in 2000 people will be infected. (It's fairly similar to HIV / AIDS statistics.)

At these rates, if you live here for 20 years then you run a 1% chance of getting an infection over those 20 years. However, that assumes you are like the vast majority of people in Thailand in that you don't take any precautions. If you want to reduce your chances substantially, then follow the recommendations of a doctor seriously.

:o

Edited by ilyushin

Does anyone know what "abates sand" is? If standing water is located in a place where draining is impossible e.g. a sump, is pouring a thin layer of some kind of oil on top a workable solution?

literally a drop of diesel will cover the top of the water , in something as small as a sump, with a thin film which will not allow mosquitoes to breed there.

Mosquitoes are pretty rampant in Bangkok, but I still see lotsa girls opting for micro-mini shorts all over the Sois. And if you see girls in shorts during daytime, it's even more ironic because Bangkokians are so fearful of UV, and protective of their skin colour.

Me and my oldest son are now suffering from it I think. Extreme body and head ache high temp 39 degrees no rash though. I had a look around for any standing water and noticed that I changed my tires a few weeks ago and they were full of mozzies. I drilled holes in them and all the water and larve drained out. I was wondering were all the b@stards were coming from. Well the sofa is calling.

Me and my oldest son are now suffering from it I think. Extreme body and head ache high temp 39 degrees no rash though. I had a look around for any standing water and noticed that I changed my tires a few weeks ago and they were full of mozzies. I drilled holes in them and all the water and larve drained out. I was wondering were all the b@stards were coming from. Well the sofa is calling.

Well what the bloody hel_l are you doing posting on TV then mate? You need to get your son and yourself down to the hospital pronto.

Well what the bloody hel_l are you doing posting on TV then mate? You need to get your son and yourself down to the hospital pronto.

Theirs not much they can do except but us on a drip. We are both holding our fluids so there is no need for that. We live close to the hospital if either of us deteriorate thats were we will go.

Compare and contrast the attitudes of the Singaporean government which goes to great lengths to get rid of any standing water and the Thai government that does nothing.

There are storm drains in Viphavhadi Rangsit adjacent to sois 24 - 28 that have been full of water for years. You see milions of larvae wriggling around in there. This is right next to Shinawatra tower so maybe the answer's there.....

Dengue outbreak hits Bangkok, 48 dead so far

BANGKOK: -- Dengue fever has spread across the country, killing 48 people and infecting more than 40,000 so far this year, Public Health Minister Wicharn Meenchainant said yesterday.

<snip the rest>

-- The Nation 2008-08-01

Did anyone else notice a disconnect between the headline and the facts of the story?

The headline would seem to indicate that 48 people in Bangkok have died from dengue fever...the text of the story indicates otherwise.

Another case of good, responsible journalism on the the part of "The Nation".

Is it true that the most dangerous mozzies are the ones biting in daylight?

Disease profile

Dengue fever (DF) is an acute viral illness of varying severity. It is caused by one of the four strains, or serotypes, of dengue flaviviruses. The severe form of the virus, dengue haemorrhagic fever (DHF), can be fatal.

Transmission

Dengue fever is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito. Aedes aegpyti, the most common mosquito species that transmits the dengue virus, is a day-time biter and lives in close proximity to humans in urban areas.

Symptoms

The illness begins with the sudden onset of flu-like symptoms including fever, headache, muscle aches and joint pain, pain behind the eyes and a faint rash. The fever usually lasts from three to five days, and rarely more than seven days.

While the disease is often mild and self-limiting, a more severe form - dengue haemorrhagic fever - can occur. Its symptoms include loss of appetite, vomiting, intense abdominal pain, shock and bleeding from the nose or under the skin. The occurrence of DHF may be associated with those either experiencing their second infection, being immuno-suppressed, or being under the age of 15. Dengue haemorrhagic fever can be fatal.

With respect to the four distinct but closely related DF virus serotypes, recovery from an initial infection caused by one strain provides lifelong immunity against that serotype only. There is good evidence that suggests that any subsequent reinfection by another strain of the DF virus increases your risk of acquiring the more serious disease, dengue haemorrhagic fever.

Treatment

There is no specific treatment for dengue fever or dengue haemorrhagic fever. Early medical intervention for dengue haemorrhagic fever may prevent serious illness.

Part quoted from the following web site :-

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/info/dengue-eng.php

This is just one of many sites that appear on google.

This was the first one i browsed that gave a specific referrence to the daytime infection, but it is also mentioned on several others that follow on to re-enforce the point.

marshbags :o

Take care and please, go take a blood test if you are experiencing the above listed symptoms as recommended by the health authorities and a wiser T.Visa victim.

I had the symptoms for nearly a week before the worsening factors encouraged / persuaded me to go to the local hospital.

I might add that at the time I was ignorant to the Dengue fever scenario and it,s effects.

Edited by marshbags

literally a drop of diesel will cover the top of the water , in something as small as a sump, with a thin film which will not allow mosquitoes to breed there.

Abate is a sandy powder chemical that stops mossies from breeding. Usually, take about a tablespoon, wrap it in cloth, tie it up with a rubberband or what have you, and drop it in the water. Not for drinking water, just tubs and basins of water in your washroom. This is from the Clarke website:

Abate

A highly effective organophosphate larvicide that is the most cost-effective larvicide on the market today. Abate can be used in clean or polluted water and is excellent as a rotational product with either insect growth regulators or bacterial larvicides. Abate provides up to 30 day control.

Appropriate For:

Abate can be used in many types of water habits including salt marshes, woodland pools, roadside ditches and wastewater treatment plants. In addition, Abate Tire Treatment reduces Aedes albopictus mosquitoes in tire yards for an entire season.

Target Species:

Abate targets all mosquitoes including Culex species and Aedes albopictus.

Active Ingredients:

The active ingredient in Abate is temephos, an organophosphate that has been registered to control mosquito larvae for more than three decades.

Formulations:

Abate formulations include a liquid, various granular formulations and a patented plaster pellet. A variety of sizes are available for any application need.

For Use With:

A variety of equipment, including a backpack to a sling-seeder spreader to a high-pressure spray unit. It can be applied on ground or via air.

Mosquitoes are pretty rampant in Bangkok, but I still see lotsa girls opting for micro-mini shorts all over the Sois. And if you see girls in shorts during daytime, it's even more ironic because Bangkokians are so fearful of UV, and protective of their skin colour.

Perhaps the mosquitoes know something we don't! :o

Abate is a sandy powder chemical that stops mossies from breeding. Usually, take about a tablespoon, wrap it in cloth, tie it up with a rubberband or what have you, and drop it in the water. Not for drinking water, just tubs and basins of water in your washroom. This is from the Clarke website:

Abate

A highly effective organophosphate larvicide that is the most cost-effective larvicide on the market today. Abate can be used in clean or polluted water and is excellent as a rotational product with either insect growth regulators or bacterial larvicides. Abate provides up to 30 day control.

Appropriate For:

Abate can be used in many types of water habits including salt marshes, woodland pools, roadside ditches and wastewater treatment plants. In addition, Abate Tire Treatment reduces Aedes albopictus mosquitoes in tire yards for an entire season.

Target Species:

Abate targets all mosquitoes including Culex species and Aedes albopictus.

Active Ingredients:

The active ingredient in Abate is temephos, an organophosphate that has been registered to control mosquito larvae for more than three decades.

Formulations:

Abate formulations include a liquid, various granular formulations and a patented plaster pellet. A variety of sizes are available for any application need.

For Use With:

A variety of equipment, including a backpack to a sling-seeder spreader to a high-pressure spray unit. It can be applied on ground or via air.

Thanks for all the info DK - I'll check it out but organophosphates sound like bad stuff to be using especially in light of all the recent spraying deaths....

Edited by cloudhopper