90 Day Non Immigrant O Visa Single Entry (married To A Thai)

Initially arrived in Thailand in March 2006 on a one year multiple entry Non-Immigrant O Visa (married to a Thai) obtained in the UK.

When the visa expired, I have been travelling to Penang every 90 days to obtain a single entry 90 day non-immigrant O visa as I do not hold a Thai bank account.

On the expiration of this type of visa, am I able to make 30 day visa runs and if so how many runs

before having to obtain another 90 day visa? If I am able to do this, it will save me having to go to Penang every 90 days.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Initially arrived in Thailand in March 2006 on a one year multiple entry Non-Immigrant O Visa (married to a Thai) obtained in the UK.

When the visa expired, I have been travelling to Penang every 90 days to obtain a single entry 90 day non-immigrant O visa as I do not hold a Thai bank account.

On the expiration of this type of visa, am I able to make 30 day visa runs and if so how many runs

before having to obtain another 90 day visa? If I am able to do this, it will save me having to go to Penang every 90 days.

The limit is a total of 90 days in a 6 month period.

it will save me having to go to Penang every 90 days.

As I was informed on this forum, you can extend the 90 day O marriage for 60 days in BKK for 1900 baht which will bring your penang runs down to 2 a year. They will gleefully tell you that you can only extend it for 7 days and push you away at the desk, so bring your wife to argue with them that you know better.

p.s. when you go to extend, pack a lunch, some books, some soap (no joke,) a few board games...

Edited by atwr

Many thanks for that Lite Beer.

My understanding therefore is that when my 90 day Non-Immigrant visa single entry expires in September, I can do 3 x 30 day visa runs and then return to Penang in December to obtain a further 90 day visa.

If the above is correct, again, I thank you for this valued information.

I understand you are from Khon Khaen, have been once, great place to stay.

Isn't the "90 days out of every 6 months" rule applicable only to tourist visas and not non-immigrant O visas based on marriage?

The 90 day rules in a 6 month period only applies to visa exempt entries (the 30 days permitted to stay stamp), not to tourist visas. It is not for every 6 month. The 6 month period starts when you enter Thailand for the first time.

it will save me having to go to Penang every 90 days.

As I was informed on this forum, you can extend the 90 day O marriage for 60 days in BKK for 1900 baht which will bring your penang runs down to 2 a year. They will gleefully tell you that you can only extend it for 7 days and push you away at the desk, so bring your wife to argue with them that you know better.

p.s. when you go to extend, pack a lunch, some books, some soap (no joke,) a few board games...

There is a one off extension of 60 days to visit your Thai Wife or Child.

7.23 In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse

or child: Permission

will be granted for a

period of not more

than 60 days at a time.

(1) Proof of relationship; and

(2) In the case of a spouse, their

marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto.

1. Application form

2. Copy of the applicant's passport

3. Copy of household registration

certificate

4. Copy of the national ID card

held by the Thai concerned

5. Copy of the marriage/birth

certificate

...I have been travelling to Penang every 90 days to obtain a single entry 90 day non-immigrant O visa as I do not hold a Thai bank account...

If a consulate wants to see proof of funds before issuing a visa the money can be in any bank anywhere in the world.

There have been recent posts about getting the multiple-entry non-O visa to visit family from Kuala Lumpur, sometimes proof of funds being asked for, sometimes not. Bring along also a letter from your wife addressed to the embassy asking them to grant you the visa, as this is sometimes required.

--

Maestro

Just now I saw that my list also has a link to a post about getting the multiple-entry non-O in Penang. If you have the phone number for an agent in Penang you might want to call him and ask what your chances would be, if Penang is more convenient for you than Kuala Lumpur.

--

Maestro

Thanks for all the information, but all I want to know is can I make 3 border runs (3 x 30 day visa) on the expiration of my single entry Non-Immigrant O Visa (married to a Thai). Not interested in a 12 months multiple entry visa.

Thanks for all the information, but all I want to know is can I make 3 border runs (3 x 30 day visa) on the expiration of my single entry Non-Immigrant O Visa (married to a Thai). Not interested in a 12 months multiple entry visa.

Yes.

But they are not Visas. They are 30 day entry stamps

Edited by Lite Beer

Yes...but you are missing some information here.

There is no 30-day visa...it is a visa exempt stamp. *Not* the same thing. And it has nothing to do with your current visa.

The simple answer to your question is Yes, you can make 3 border runs, staying for 30 days each time.

However, after that time, you will not be able to enter Thailand using the visa-exempt stamps for the next 3 months.

Well, in your defense, some of us do tend to give complicated answers to simple questions :o

In my case, it is a by-product of my profession (systems analyst). And I am an absolute stickler (to the point of annoyance to some) for using the proper terminology.

Again, a result of my work...garbage in, garbage out.

Therefore: Compiling the above as I understand.

Having a - 1 year multi entry O visa (obtained in your own country from the Thai Consulate)

Visa run every 90 days (leave Thailand - cross the border and re-enter Thailand again)

After one year the Visa has expired.

Then you can get 30 days X 3

Border cross 2 times and get a 30 day permission stamp.

That gives you 1 year 3 months in total before starting the process again.

I hope that is correct

Having a - 1 year multi entry O visa (obtained in your own country from the Thai Consulate)

Visa run every 90 days (leave Thailand - cross the border and re-enter Thailand again)

I hope that is correct

Almost.

If you make your final border run the day before the Non O expires you will get another 90 days, giving 15 months in total.

I hope that is correct

Basically yes, I just have a couple of additional points.

If you make your final visa run just before your visa expires you will get another 90 days permitted stay. With three visa exempt entries on top of that you can stay almost a year and a half.

But...

The visa will have a validity of one year from the date of issue. So you lose the time that passes between the visa is issued and you enter Thailand for the first time. So make sure not to apply for the visa to early (but obviously not to later either).

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would want to have consecutive visa exempt entries. I would much rather get a tourist visa in a neighboring country and extend that for 30 days. That way I would only have to do one visa run instead of three border runs. But that's up to you.

Sophon

The Thai bank account does not appear to be a requirement any longer for the Nonimmigrant O Marriage Visa.

Go to your embassy and have your income verified; it is easier than it sounds. At the U.S. Embassay, all you do is fill out a one page form and put down a reasonable amount for your annual income (i.e. $3,000 per month). You pay 1,200 baht, raise your right hand and swear the information is correct and they stamp your form.

Take your stamped income verification form along with a your passport, a copy of your passport, latest entry visa and arrival, departure card to Thai Immigration. At the information desk, tell them that you are applying for a Nonimmigrant O Marriage Visa; they will give you a form to fill out and a queue number. Go to your right into room 101 and wait, and wait, and wait. While there are 6 interviewers and they should be able to handle 4 to 5 people per hour each or 24 people per hour in total, there are many queue jumpers from visa agencies that will be cutting in front of you.

When you finally see your interviewer, they will give you 2 more forms to fill out (the exact same information that was on the original form), make you wait while they make a personal phone call and then eventually grant you a 12 month visa for 1,800 baht.

I just went through the process 3 weeks ago; take a book along to read and be jai yen.

Edited by Utley

<snip>

You pay 1,200 baht, raise your right hand and swear the information is correct and they stamp your form.

<snip>

I just went through the process 3 weeks ago; take a book along to read and be jai yen.

Initially I was going to ask if you were sure the amount hadn't changed -- it's supposed to based on the average baht exchange rate from last year -- then I noticed your last sentence, so I guess you're sure. So I guess I just want to kvetch, because it's supposed to be USD30.00, but I guess the dollar didn't really start to tank until January. Drat! I've got to do mine this month. Oh, well, maybe I can use one of my credit cards, which are U.S. based. Or just bite the bullet -- $36.00 isn't so much worse than $30.00.

The document you get is called an affidavit, and basically is notarization of what you say. The wording is, "So-and-so appeared before me and swore the following is true:". I don't think it really means anything, but it satisfies the Immigration people. I suppose you could be prosecuted for making a false statement to a government official if someone proved that you lied, but who would try to?

You can make three 29 day visa runs to Cambodia or Laos in six months. Why not open a Thai bank account which will entitle you to a one year visa from Penang?

If a consulate asks for proof of funds in connection with the application for a visa the money does not have to be in a Thai bank; it can be in a bank anywhere in the world.

This post is the latest I have seen about getting a multiple non-O visa in Penang. This member does say that he brought his bank statement along but not how much he had in the bank. The official requirement, on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, would be "Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)". Some consulates in the region asked to see 400k or its equivalent for a time but there have been no such reports recently.

--

Maestro

The Thai bank account does not appear to be a requirement any longer for the Nonimmigrant O Marriage Visa.

Go to your embassy and have your income verified; it is easier than it sounds. At the U.S. Embassay, all you do is fill out a one page form and put down a reasonable amount for your annual income (i.e. $3,000 per month). You pay 1,200 baht, raise your right hand and swear the information is correct and they stamp your form.

Take your stamped income verification form along with a your passport, a copy of your passport, latest entry visa and arrival, departure card to Thai Immigration. At the information desk, tell them that you are applying for a Nonimmigrant O Marriage Visa; they will give you a form to fill out and a queue number. Go to your right into room 101 and wait, and wait, and wait. While there are 6 interviewers and they should be able to handle 4 to 5 people per hour each or 24 people per hour in total, there are many queue jumpers from visa agencies that will be cutting in front of you.

When you finally see your interviewer, they will give you 2 more forms to fill out (the exact same information that was on the original form), make you wait while they make a personal phone call and then eventually grant you a 12 month visa for 1,800 baht.

1. There is no such thing as a Non Imm O Marriage Visa. You seem to be talking about a years extension of stay based on Marriage.

2. The US Embassy seems to be the only one that does this. Other Embassies require proof of income.

3. You need a few other things including your Wife to be interviewed.

4. You will only get a 30 day under consideration stamp and will have to go back in a month to get the other 11 months.

5. The fee is 1,900 Baht.