Where Would You Be If Not Thailand?

NoSpeakIt

Many farang living in Thailand could not afford to live in a first world Asian country like Singapore or Japan... so if by any chance all the corruption stops and Thailand evolves into a first world country and the women of Thailand have economic opportunities, where will you go? Cambodia? Myanmar? Back home?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time Thailand goes "first world', most of South East Asia will have followed. There is little chance that it will be in our lifetimes though.

I agree. Thailand hasn't even begun to do what they need to be seriously competitive, that is, invest in world class education for their masses. No need to worry about Thailand going first world, but we should worry about political and economic instability.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about alternatives and I guess it would be Japan (tied with going back home to NY). Both are very expensive. Ideally I would like to set off travelling again for a year before I settle anywhere though.

mg,have you been to goa.

i havent but have got friends who love it and i have been looking on the net for a few days on the lifestyle in goa

Admittedly, I have not been to Goa. And in fairness to India, I was probably in the worst city conditions-wise (Mumbai/Navi Mumbai).

Some of our crew took a weekend outside Mumbai somewhere, stayed in a nice resort in a mountainous area, they said it was beautiful there.

I would like to have gone, but I had returned to Thailand for a bit of R&R.

Many farang living in Thailand could not afford to live in a first world Asian country like Singapore or Japan... so if by any chance all the corruption stops and Thailand evolves into a first world country and the women of Thailand have economic opportunities, where will you go? Cambodia? Myanmar? Back home?

My alternative to Thailand would be Singapore. Bear with me as I try to explain why...

Your first sentence might be true if you are retired or have no marketable skills but I'm not so sure that it is true for a skilled worker who is still in the workforce. In Singapore for instance, the cost of living is much higher than if you were living in Thailand but, if your not on a expat package from a multinational company, the salaries are much higher in Singapore. Given those boundary condistions, if your salary exceeds your living expenses then you most likely will save money at a faster rate in Singapore than in Thailand and would most likely be able to retire earlier (if you plan to retire in Thailand).

Edited by OriginalPoster

The "heart" of this country can't live forever. What happens after? :o

Agree as usual, U. That's a sensible and nice analogy and one we all may choose to respectfully use in this context!

In touring SEAsia I have missed China, Japan and the Philippines for purely economic reasons - and Burma by choice. That is, until certain small pumps which could never be called 'hearts' stop beating altogether. I live in hope but not certainty.

Although I was impressed by Bali I've filed it in my 'visit again' category.

If I have ever seen one place which I feel strongly i would enjoy living full time as much - and afford as equally - as Chiang Mai it is Kuching in Malaysian-run Borneo.

Multi-cultural, peaceful, clean, very low crime, not one dominant political party or religious faith and a superb linear park along the river the likes of which I fear Chiang Mai will never achieve.

VERY impressive.

mg,have you been to goa.

i havent but have got friends who love it and i have been looking on the net for a few days on the lifestyle in goa

Goa is cool mate, but you have to go south! peaceful back in pre 2003 when i last went there, Used to spend 6 months there 6 in uk for around on a 5 year stint.

Highly recommend it! but.....there aint much night life and no women. :o

mg,have you been to goa.

i have been to goa and was not impressed. india drove me batshit to be honest. i found it mostly repulsive. but then again, my experience might have been not so great because i was there in the (very, very, very) HOT season, where there was no respite from the heat at all as the electricity was usually out and even the water in the sea was hot. i was also there alone, and i do mean alone! there were few if any other tourists when i was there! i did sort of like gokarna though- beautiful place, nice beaches- my yoga teacher has moved down there now. food was crap there though.

mg,have you been to goa.

i have been to goa and was not impressed. india drove me batshit to be honest. i found it mostly repulsive. but then again, my experience might have been not so great because i was there in the (very, very, very) HOT season, where there was no respite from the heat at all as the electricity was usually out and even the water in the sea was hot. i was also there alone, and i do mean alone! there were few if any other tourists when i was there! i did sort of like gokarna though- beautiful place, nice beaches- my yoga teacher has moved down there now. food was crap there though.

You went in the wrong season.

Edited by MonkeyHouse

mg,have you been to goa.

India requires a lot of energy, most visitors eventually get "India'ed out", the only real variable is whether it takes one day or one year before that happens. My experience though, is that even though I'm not sure that I actually enjoyed India and even though I eventually got India'ed out, shortly after each of the <four> times I left there I've have had an urge to go back again.

Edited by OriginalPoster

mg,have you been to goa.

India requires a lot of energy, most visitors eventually get "India'ed out", the only real variable is whether it takes one day or one year before that happens. My experience though, is that even though I'm not sure that I actually enjoyed India and even though I eventually got India'ed out, shortly after each of the <four> times I left there I've have had an urge to go back again.

A very good explanation.. I too got india'ed out but when I think of my visa run vacations india keeps coming back around and wanting to do more or different, I never did the hill stations or northern regions and would quite like a 'cool' temps vacation..

By the time Thailand goes "first world', most of South East Asia will have followed. There is little chance that it will be in our lifetimes though.

I agree. Thailand hasn't even begun to do what they need to be seriously competitive, that is, invest in world class education for their masses. No need to worry about Thailand going first world, but we should worry about political and economic instability.

It would be a step in the right direction if the students already in the existing education system took it seriously. A large percentage of the students are in the shopping malls every afternoon. I'm not sure investing more money on education would make much difference.

For me, Shangri La is in Himachal Pradesh. Bagsu, Mcleod Ganj, Manikaran, Vashisht, the Parvati valley.....pure magic! I also liked Nepal although I stayed during times of turmoil....The problem is that in these countries you can only stay 6 months so you would have to find another place to live in, alternatively Bali and Cambodia....Yeah you do get Indiad-out if you move around a lot but if you stay in one place there are no more hassles. It would definetely be on the opposite side of the spectrum from Thailand but worthwhile nonetheless....no nightlife, no beer but what a trip!

It would be a step in the right direction if the students already in the existing education system took it seriously. A large percentage of the students are in the shopping malls every afternoon. I'm not sure investing more money on education would make much difference.

Here is what I see as two problems that will hold Thailand back, both related to education:

1) It seems that a large percentage of the university students equate "going to university" with "getting an education". By that I mean, they seem to think that just because they are enrolled for classes, and sometimes even go to class, they are learning. And they seem to think that when they get the paper, they have learned something.

2) Regarding "grade school/high school" - As I understand it, and someone please correct/clarify if I am wrong, Thais can be finished with school at around 13 years of age...but they cannot work in a "legit" job until around age 18 or so. This would seem to jive with my observations. So what do they do for those 5 years? Well, the girls seem to help Mom around the house, or if Mom has a business of some sort help there, or help take care of some younger children. Meanwhile, the boys seem to do little except beg money from Mom (or their older sister or aunt who has a farang husband) and learn how to drink whisky.

shortly after each of the <four> times I left there I've have had an urge to go back again.

yes despite what i wrote above i think i would go back with a friend, i am interested in nothern india ie. dharmasala... i LOVED nepal and figure it must be similar.

In 2005 after spending two months working there in 2005 I was very India’d out (as someone put it), I had intended to do the ‘tourist thing’ but I’d simply run out of patience, tolerance and every other drop of mental discipline that’s required for someone not to loose their cool in otherwise simple situations. At that time, hearing the words ‘Cabin Crew Doors to automatic’ was the best part of the trip!

Always with the intention of returning to India, I kept my word to myself and a couple of months ago I returned to Delhi and Agra and had a great 5 day trip. We (My girlfriend and I) hired a car and driver for the 5 days and cut out 80% of the potential hassles. However more common than not, a good dose of patience and tolerance was required to ensure that I continued to have a relaxing and enjoyable trip. (And while I choose include dose in that last sentence my trip didn’t).

I’m simply not used to having my every food order second, third and fourth guessed in the restaurants by waiters who suspect they know better than I which food I’d like to chose and which wine I want to drink !

While on the way to the airport for departure, I was asked by the driver if I’d return to India, of course I said yes, but the little thought bubble popping out of my head at the same time would have read ‘not in the near future’....

The driver also told me that most people only visit India once in their lifetime, I wonder if I’m one of those people and I wonder if they too ran out of patience, tolerance and every other drop of mental discipline required for someone to keep their cool....

Northern India does sound very interesting... but there are many places on my list of places that I may never get to see....

And - To stay on Topic... I would be doing the same Job in the UK.

India is a hard place to work if you are not Indian. I did most of 2007 there...thankfully I was on 3-to-5 week tours, with a week in Thailand in between.

The people are proud, arrogant, and the loudest voice wins. Even so, once you figured out how to deal with them, the largest percentage of the people I worked with were decent enough.

The beggars and street vendors are very aggressive...they will not take no for an answer, then will do their best to cheat you either on price, change, or product. And if they manage to screw you somehow on the transaction (likely), it is like a point of honor for them. And while you are dealing with a vendor, another will be pulling on your sleeve and chattering in your ear, whilst a third is seeing if they might make a grab for your wallet.

I never thought of Bangkok as a quiet city, until I spent some time in Mumbai.

If you leave *any* space in front of you or beside you at a service counter, someone will try to squeeze in front of you.

I was standing in the security queue to enter my departure gate area in the Mumbai airport, and kept feeling something bumping me from behind. Finally I got tired of it and took a look, and it was this fairly good-sized India guy with a healthy, but not huge, beer gut on him...his gut was bumping into me, he was standing so close. :o So being the tactful guy that I am, I asked, "Do you mind backing the fuc_k up just a little bit?" He was decent enough, but really did not understand what I was upset about.

One of the locals that I worked with there gave me some insight. I was giving him the "five-cent walkaround tour" of one of our computer systems. Looking at one of the disk drive assemblies, he asked where it was made. I told him that I was not sure, but I thought Singapore. He said, "We cannot make that in India. We could design it, but we cannot make it...it is too intricate."

His other comment was, "You will not see two smart guys in India working together, because they both want to be the boss." That coincides with my observations as well...everyone wants to be the boss of one other person. This even included the waiters at our hotel restaurant. Despite the official Indian government position, the caste system is very much alive and well.

The "India'd out" observation made by others here is absolutely correct...I cannot think of a better way to describe it.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Sri Lanka. I was there for around 9 months and found it a great place. The people are very nice, and more laid back than the Indians (except perhaps Goa). Maybe it's the Buddhist legacy.

Sri Lanka is beautiful and has all climates within a day's drive. Golf is good, food is cheap and there are bars and nightlife, though not quite thailand.

My Thai wife also quite liked it, though she wasn't exactly keen on moving there.

Compared to Sri Lanka, Thailand is first world, but I loved it there and will definitely go back at some point.