Where To Get Cardboard Boxes

FarmerJoe

Packaging supplies store. Sorry my map does not have a name on the street so...

There is a road just west of Tesco Lotus ( the branch at Kamthieng) that runs from the Super Highway to the northeast corner of the moat. On that road, coming from the Super, turn left at the second traffic light (the first one goes into Lotus) and the first building on your left, on the corner, is a business that sells packaging supplies including boxes.

There is a road just west of Tesco Lotus ( the branch at Kamthieng) that runs from the Super Highway to the northeast corner of the moat. On that road, coming from the Super, turn left at the second traffic light (the first one goes into Lotus) and the first building on your left, on the corner, is a business that sells packaging supplies including boxes.

Unless I'm mistaken, that shop closed up or moved a few years ago.... I went looking for them about 6 months ago, having seen them every time I drove to Lotus for years, but not needing anything in the way of packing supplies. When I DID need a few boxes, I immediately went there, but there was not there.... or something....

You can buy boxes from the shipping shop just inside Thapae Gate on the left side about 30 meters west on Rotchadamnern. Bring a LOT of money....

There's a guy who sells (used I think) boxes on the street in Suthep Road about 100 metres west of Canal Road outside CMU. RHS as you're heading out of town. Since the students don't have of a budget for that, I'd guess they're pretty cheap.

Slight OT warning: I (used to) like the convenient little post office shop next to Silomjoy Restaurant opposite The Montri Hotel in Ratchamenden Road. It handles loads of overseas parcels of souvenirs for tourists and does a healthy business but recently I went to send a bunch of stuff abroad and as I knew they did boxes simply arrived with the gear ready to purchase a carton. Very pricey it turned out - 90 or 100 baht for only a fairly smallish one but I know cardboard is expensive so just paid up and vowed to be more prepared next time. Following shipment I picked up a used box from a local store for 10 baht, packed the items, taped it all neatly and went back to the store. "Used boxes not allowed" she told me and tried to get me to buy one of her new ones. There's an internet cafe/post service place about 20 metres down the street that of course took it without a problem but just thought I'd air the story here in the hope that it loses her some business for being so greedy.

Edited by Greenside

Unless I'm mistaken, that shop closed up or moved a few years ago.... I went looking for them about 6 months ago, having seen them every time I drove to Lotus for years, but not needing anything in the way of packing supplies. When I DID need a few boxes, I immediately went there, but there was not there.... or something....

Could be, last time I was there was there to buy was about 15 months ago. Do you by chance happen to know where the Takrit (lemongrass) Restaurant is now, the one that used to be next to Wat Pra Sing?

There is a bin behind the Novotel Hotel (beside the new Tops off Chang Phuak rd) that has lots of boxes.

If you are facing the hotel, go down the little lane on the left side of the building. It ends 20meters up, and on the left you will see the cages with all those lovely boxes. Staff have smiled at me and nodded ok when I have taken them...

As for the post-office, I believe that the rules are "nothing printed" on the box. I showed up to a Bkk post-office, and they made me tape plain paper over the printing on the box.

In Koh Tao, the local PO branch used to charge 200bt per box (while refusing other boxes), but now they have a real PO, and boxes are 30-50 baht.

I have used the same big boxes to mail between CM and the islands many times - just cover up any old printing...

Boxes! I can't believe I logged on to talk about boxes!

Back in Sept - see y'all (in the box).

p.s. - hey Greenside - shouldn't that be posted in the "businesses to avoid" thread too - I hate that kind of greedy lying. Greedy, and mean too - making someone repack everything just to cheat them out of a few baht (business owners too - not poor people - greedy and mean business owners).

Edited by wjmark

Anyone know of a place I could get or buy cardboard boxes for packing and moving in the city? It's a long drive out to Ban Tawai for them.

Just a suggestion: Did you know you can actually "mail" your stuff to yourself to the new address? As long as your wrap string around it and take it to the post office. They'll send anything even an unwrapped ironing board! Print out the new address clearly in big letters and include your phone number. About 10 baht per kilo. Takes about a week. You might need to pick it all up at the local post office but it's easier than stuffing a car or truck on a long haul. I've done it twice now and haven't lost a thing. (Phuket to Hua-Hin to Korat)

• 2 months later...
Any moving company will be able to provide boxes , and many are willing to do so irrespective of whether they are gonna do the actual shift.

Tell them you are gonna use a friends "hok law"

Hello everybody.

I know there's a cardboard boxes supplier in Pattaya... Maybe too far...

You can see them in google with the keywords Pattaya+pattaya+cardboard boxes supplier

Takaten

• 1 year later...

farmer joe.

re .... There's an internet cafe/post service place about 20 metres down the street that of course took it without a problem

this is the place greensides talking about.

ive sent loads of letters / parcels etc from this shop for over 5 years ... no problem

dave2

post-42592-1275092006_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

There is a stationary shop across from the Ratakosin flea market. It is called Likit Sin (I love saying that name!) and they have A4 paper boxes by the dozens n the back on the loading dock. I bought 20 for 5 baht each. Best thing is they are all the same size and thus stackable.

Also there is the guy at the end of Thannon Suthep (near the entrance to CMU) who sells every size imaginable of used boxes. But when I was there a month or so ago, he had hiked up his prices to what I thought were ridiculous prices for used boxes. But then again, what hasn't gone up in price?

Regarding bunta71's post (even though it was 3 years ago), you can't take boxes from Rimping. I tried once and a guy ran after me and told me that guys pay to have exclusive access to all of the boxes from a certain market. They all do this, Carrefour, Tesco, etc. You can see the pick-ups parked there, loaded up with boxes. That is their territory!

Edited by elektrified

• 4 months later...

Also there is the guy at the end of Thannon Suthep (near the entrance to CMU) who sells every size imaginable of used boxes. But when I was there a month or so ago, he had hiked up his prices to what I thought were ridiculous prices for used boxes. But then again, what hasn't gone up in price?

Regarding bunta71's post (even though it was 3 years ago), you can't take boxes from Rimping. I tried once and a guy ran after me and told me that guys pay to have exclusive access to all of the boxes from a certain market. They all do this, Carrefour, Tesco, etc. You can see the pick-ups parked there, loaded up with boxes. That is their territory!

hi I tried to find this guy this morning but I couldn't see him? If I was coming out of the gates of the University

do I turn left or right to find him? And then is he on the right side of the road or the left side and are there any other

distinguishing landmarks that would help me find him?

Edited by midas

hi I tried to find this guy this morning but I couldn't see him? If I was coming out of the gates of the University

do I turn left or right to find him? And then is he on the right side of the road or the left side and are there any other

"Mr. Cardboard Box himself was there to-day on Suthep Road, even though its a holiday with no students around who, I imagine, are probably his moving target market. He's handily positioned just 500 metres after emerging from the University grounds from the Big Clock entrance and turning LEFT, and his stall is located on THE LEFT HAND SIDE pavement immediately opposite an unmissable RED rectangular construction which may be a work of art or a functioning part of the building. If a future cardboard box enthusiast can't find anything suitable here, his requirements must be unique. Looks like he's there every day."

PS. I posted these directions last year though presumably they still apply. I haven't noticed him myself recently. Unfortunately they've painted out the unmissable RED landmark and now its white and blends in.

re .. do I turn left or right to find him? And then is he on the right side of the road or the left side and are there any other

turn right out of cmu entrance ... going up the hill ... and hes about 750 yards on your right

this is him !

dave2

post-42592-0-19501000-1316521894_thumb.j

re .. do I turn left or right to find him? And then is he on the right side of the road or the left side and are there any other

turn right out of cmu entrance ... going up the hill ... and hes about 750 yards on your right

this is him !

dave2

thank you very much Dave that is a great help :jap:

this is him !

dave2

thank you very much Dave that is a great help :jap:

no wonder I couldn't find him yesterday because I went there in the morning. And again when I tried this morning he wasn't there again

so I thought I would try once more on my way back from the city at lunchtime. Sure enough he was there then.

Nice enough chap and he told me he is only there after " tien " so afternoons only!

and just one more thing -if you come out of the entrance to CMU with the clock tower you actually turn

left whereas it is only right turn from the entrance further towards the junction with Canal Road .

Edited by midas

Quote : MIDAS

Quote : DAVE2

this is him !

dave2

Quote : ASMEROM

"He's handily positioned just 500 metres after emerging from the University grounds from the Big Clock entrance and turning LEFT, and his stall is located on THE LEFT HAND SIDE pavement immediately opposite an unmissable RED (since painted cream) rectangular construction which may be a work of art or a functioning part of the building."

Just on the offchance there may be a confused cardboard box enthusiast still reading this thread he might wonder which of the two directions (above) was correct. Turn LEFT or turn RIGHT ?? They are both correct , in spite of Dave2's seemingly contractictory photographic evidence. Dave2 is indicating a smaller, minor road (to the east) exiting CMU onto Suthep Road while I was using the Main Entrance/Exit Gate which I identified by calling it the Big Clock Entrance. And, of course the culprit was caught redhanded by the nimble Dave2's ubiquitous camera and is positioned just between these two roads.

Edited by Asmerom

Quote : MIDAS

Quote : DAVE2

this is him !

dave2

Quote : ASMEROM

"He's handily positioned just 500 metres after emerging from the University grounds from the Big Clock entrance and turning LEFT, and his stall is located on THE LEFT HAND SIDE pavement immediately opposite an unmissable RED (since painted cream) rectangular construction which may be a work of art or a functioning part of the building."

Just on the offchance there may be a confused cardboard box enthusiast still reading this thread he might wonder which of the two directions (above) was correct. Turn LEFT or turn RIGHT ?? They are both correct , in spite of Dave2's seemingly contractictory photographic evidence. Dave2 is indicating a smaller, minor road (to the east) exiting CMU onto Suthep Road while I was using the Main Entrance/Exit Gate which I identified by calling it the Big Clock Entrance. And, of course the culprit was caught redhanded by the nimble Dave2's ubiquitous camera and is positioned just between these two roads.

and probably one of those useful things called a map could eliminate the possibility of any further confusion.

He is located on the frontage to Suthep Road approximately within the area where " Suthep Road "

is written in Thai on this map ( i.e. look at building 28 on the map and he is located about that point

but on Suthep Road ).

post-6925-0-59571400-1316602894_thumb.jp

re .. turn right out of cmu entrance ... going up the hill ... and hes about 750 yards on your right

i used to go in the first gate on the right to cmu after the canal road to go to the language institute

you used the second : )

never mind ... problem solved

dave2

post-42592-0-48515700-1316604259_thumb.j