Very Bad Service From Air Crap Asia

HDRIDER

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and the Mrs. just got back from Penang from a completely CRAPTASTIC experience with AirAsia Thailand. Where do I start... Checked in on Sunday and was told 120baht each because you and your wife requested wheelchair assistance. I thought (inside my head) PHUCKKKKKK!!! charging disabled and pregnant passengers because they need help to the gate that is almost a KM from the ticket counter. That should be illegal. Most likely it is in every civilized country with laws providing for equal access for people with disabilities.

Now this fee was on top of the fees already charged. 1200baht x 4 ticket fare = 12500baht???? yeah more than 150% of the tickets were service charges.

Next boarded the OOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDD 737-300 plane and the seats were completely fixed, narrow, with no legroom if you are more than 4 foot tall (exaggerating a bit but not far off). Flight landed without crashing. OK I'll give them that much.

Today returned to Bangers and paid the expected service fee for wheelchair in Penang. This 737-300 was even worse. Seat did recline but that just made the metal dig in to my back from the tray table in the back of the seat. Little padding left from wear. Oh yeah I left out the fact that the plane pulled up to the ramp but we were diverted out a door on the opposite side and the up a rickety set of stairs onto the plane.

Arrived in BKK alive. hit the ground and the wheelchairs showed up and they wanted to be paid again. I protested to deaf ears, and got extremely pissed off (mad for you Limeys and OZs), and did the Whooooo Saaahhhhh, Whooooo Saaahhhhh, so I wouldn't be taken away by the BIB.

I did inform them of one thing. I will never fly AirAsia again. If I have to fly through KL to get to PEN I will.

I was expecting the type of no nonsense service I get on Southwest Airlines when I fly around the US. There is no comparison. AirAsia could not hold a candle to the service of the cheapest airline in the US.

Never Again...... Anyone who thinks that AirAsia is great must have the patience of Buddha and be less then 5'6" and 160Lbs. IE not of the Caucasian persuasion.

Reminds me why I only fly Premium Laurel (EVA), Royal Silk (TG), or Mabuhay (PR) class on any flight lasting more that 2 hours.

Be careful with Air Asia, my GF had a confirmed ticket from BKK to Phuket, when she was on her way to the airport they called her and cancelled her ticket, now she have to wait 30 days to get her money back.

Bad service, well no service i guess.

you too, tell me about it. :o

Edited by Aries74

Hi

We know you love them, maybe one day you will find out they are not cheaper than most airlines, maybe.

30 quid r/t to CM - doubt that can be beaten :o

Our local travel-shop just quoted us 1900 Baht one-way from CNX to BKK, for a flight 3 months ahead on Air Asia, that is double 30 quid. :D

And the TG-special, available until end-September, was 2,100 Baht. Easy choice there. :D

Me and the Mrs. just got back from Penang from a completely CRAPTASTIC experience with AirAsia Thailand. Where do I start... Checked in on Sunday and was told 120baht each because you and your wife requested wheelchair assistance. I thought (inside my head) PHUCKKKKKK!!! charging disabled and pregnant passengers because they need help to the gate that is almost a KM from the ticket counter. That should be illegal. Most likely it is in every civilized country with laws providing for equal access for people with disabilities.

Now this fee was on top of the fees already charged. 1200baht x 4 ticket fare = 12500baht???? yeah more than 150% of the tickets were service charges.

Next boarded the OOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDD 737-300 plane and the seats were completely fixed, narrow, with no legroom if you are more than 4 foot tall (exaggerating a bit but not far off). Flight landed without crashing. OK I'll give them that much.

Today returned to Bangers and paid the expected service fee for wheelchair in Penang. This 737-300 was even worse. Seat did recline but that just made the metal dig in to my back from the tray table in the back of the seat. Little padding left from wear. Oh yeah I left out the fact that the plane pulled up to the ramp but we were diverted out a door on the opposite side and the up a rickety set of stairs onto the plane.

Arrived in BKK alive. hit the ground and the wheelchairs showed up and they wanted to be paid again. I protested to deaf ears, and got extremely pissed off (mad for you Limeys and OZs), and did the Whooooo Saaahhhhh, Whooooo Saaahhhhh, so I wouldn't be taken away by the BIB.

I did inform them of one thing. I will never fly AirAsia again. If I have to fly through KL to get to PEN I will.

I was expecting the type of no nonsense service I get on Southwest Airlines when I fly around the US. There is no comparison. AirAsia could not hold a candle to the service of the cheapest airline in the US.

Never Again...... Anyone who thinks that AirAsia is great must have the patience of Buddha and be less then 5'6" and 160Lbs. IE not of the Caucasian persuasion.

Reminds me why I only fly Premium Laurel (EVA), Royal Silk (TG), or Mabuhay (PR) class on any flight lasting more that 2 hours.

You poor upstukk sap.

Ya getz wot ya payz for.

Bin flying Air Asia for 5 years, never a problem, most obliging girls on dep desk.

Twice now, arriving early to check in I have been put on an earlier flite to HKT, once to BKK.

Love Air Asia, no problem, as far as I am concerned, it is the demeanour of the whinging travellers that gets bad reaction from staff.

Happens in all walks of life, you are treated as you treat others.

I have just booked flites with Air Asia, travelling over next month, BKK- HKT - KL_LCC - MNL - KL_LCC - CNX - BKK - HKT - BKK.

Did the same last year plus side trip to Bali and back, never a hitch.

Get a life people, be happy and polite, be nice to staff, works for me.

If you enjoy deceptive pricing, uncomfortable seating, poor air conditioning, service charges for EVERYTHING, staff that could give a shit less, no ramp at the airport, and old dodgy aircraft then fly AirAsia.

As for me NEVER EVER AGAIN!! THEY SUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!

I actually have money. A bus to Penang would have been better that the shit treatment of AirAsia. Those who seem to enjoy AirAsia good for you, I am sorry you have never experienced REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE. The only reason I flew AirAsia was the direct flight between BKK and PEN.

Southwest Airlines, an airline I have flown short hops in the US with no problem, rules the low cost airline market because of this.hero_low_fares.jpg

They still the best deal to be had in US domestic flights, don't charge to help disabled persons, and their fleet of planes, all 737s, are well maintained, and are configured with 2 lavatories and three less rows of seats. A person of the Caucasian persuasion can actually fit in the seat comfortably.

Edited by gunnyd

Air Asia: Plane Age

Airbus A320 37 (#of aircraft) 1.2 years On 161 operating this aircraft type AirAsia is number 13

Boeing 737 7 (#of aircraft) 17.3 years On 310 operating this aircraft type AirAsia is number 103

Southwest: Plane Age

Boeing 737 214 17.1 years On 310 operating this aircraft type Southwest Airlines is number 99

Boeing 737 Next Gen 322 11.1 years On 145 operating this aircraft type Southwest Airlines is number 144

In summary Air Asia has a newer fleet..... :o

Edited by britmaveric

If you enjoy deceptive pricing, uncomfortable seating, poor air conditioning, service charges for EVERYTHING, staff that could give a shit less, no ramp at the airport, and old dodgy aircraft then fly AirAsia.

As for me NEVER EVER AGAIN!! THEY SUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!

I actually have money. A bus to Penang would have been better that the shit treatment of AirAsia. Those who seem to enjoy AirAsia good for you, I am sorry you have never experienced REAL CUSTOMER SERVICE. The only reason I flew AirAsia was the direct flight between BKK and PEN.

Southwest Airlines, an airline I have flown short hops in the US with no problem, rules the low cost airline market because of this.hero_low_fares.jpg

They still the best deal to be had in US domestic flights, don't charge to help disabled persons, and their fleet of planes, all 737s, are well maintained, and are configured with 2 lavatories and three less rows of seats. A person of the Caucasian persuasion can actually fit in the seat comfortably.

So the next time you go to Penang it's Southwest Airlines then?

Be careful with Air Asia, my GF had a confirmed ticket from BKK to Phuket, when she was on her way to the airport they called her and cancelled her ticket, now she have to wait 30 days to get her money back.

Bad service, well no service i guess.

As posted, the airlines are going through a tough period. I hope Air Asia stays in the game. When things do run, it's a great deal.

Nope I will fly Malaysia Business Class. I don't have to fly economy. I didn't feel like going through KL. Now I know better.

And I wish Southwest ran AirAsia's routes. Their fleet may be older, but I have never seen cracks in the interior. I saw cracks in the plastic on AA. The SWA 737 has a galley and lavatory in the front of the plane. AA crams 3 extra rows of seats there. SWA has comfortable seating, even for a 6'2" 120kg passenger. AAs seats suck. SWA is up front about their fares. AA practices deception. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with them if they would have been up-front on the phone when I let them know my needs. Springing extra fees at the check-in is just unprofessional. I am just letting the disabled and tall folks out there know what the AA flight experience is and my opinion of their staff, fleet, and customer service.

It's like they say: Give good service and your customer will tell 1 person about it, give bad service and they will tell 10.

Hi :o

I'm not a frequent flyer and so far have flown only 5 times in my entire life - once from Frankfurt/Germany on Qantas (with 19 hours delay due to problem with 1 engine and NO spare aircraft), the other 4 were Air Asia, once Bangkok-Chiang Mai and 3 times Chiang Mai-Bangkok.

Each time it has been a nice experience, only one of the flights was delayed 1 hour for bad weather in BKK (therefor another went 20 minutes early as all passengers and the aircraft were there already), the crew (male and female) were friendly, i did NOT have to pay any irregular fees (only had carry-on) and all of the tickets were bought over the phone, paid via credit card and confirmed by SMS (!) and e-mail (i guess SMS because some people do not have internet access, such as at the place where i stayed in Chiang Mai, way out in the bush with no phone line anywhere near).

The only thing that was somewhat worrisome is that they let me on the aircraft with screwdrivers, box cutters and other tools in my backpack - aircraft have been hijacked with that kind of stuff, but then i was prepared to check the bag (i needed those tools) but they just let me on - maybe i don't look like a terrorist.

If i need to fly again, Air Asia would be my first choice (and yes, i DO buy a Pepsi and peanuts on board).

Best regards.....

Thanh

Air Asia, where the word free has been redefined. They have expanded from cattle cars to cattle pens, known as Tune Hotels. Check the tune hotels website and move through the booking process just to see how they play the add-on fees, hilarious! They are also peddling credit cards: do you dare?

Most of the staff are young people who know the main part of the job is just showing up. At least half of the staff do not know how to deal with people, let alone run an airline.

Next time you see an AA ad in the newspaper looking for employees, give it a look over for a laugh.

If you deal with them keep your expectations low, you might have an acceptable experience.

I had a flight from Indonesia to Malaysia and it was delayed a few hours. I was quite surprised they moved me to another flight, I thought if I asked for such they'd point to something in the fine print that said, in not as many words, 'your ticket/paid fare is forfeit, f__k you.' This is an example of what I mean by low expectations.

Edited by bendejo

Nope I will fly Malaysia Business Class. I don't have to fly economy. I didn't feel like going through KL. Now I know better.

And I wish Southwest ran AirAsia's routes. Their fleet may be older, but I have never seen cracks in the interior. I saw cracks in the plastic on AA. The SWA 737 has a galley and lavatory in the front of the plane. AA crams 3 extra rows of seats there. SWA has comfortable seating, even for a 6'2" 120kg passenger. AAs seats suck. SWA is up front about their fares. AA practices deception. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with them if they would have been up-front on the phone when I let them know my needs. Springing extra fees at the check-in is just unprofessional. I am just letting the disabled and tall folks out there know what the AA flight experience is and my opinion of their staff, fleet, and customer service.

It's like they say: Give good service and your customer will tell 1 person about it, give bad service and they will tell 10.

Do i understand then you are comparing Southwest Business class with AA?

• 3 months later...

Well I am a frequent flyer and flew on Air Asia for the first and last time today.

First hit with a ridiculous overweight baggage fee.

Only 15 kgs per person for free and every kg over that is 90 Baht.

Next found out that you can not check your baggage thru. Flight was Surat Thanni-BKK-Chaing Mai.....all on Air Asia. Had to stand around and wait FOREVER to get the luggage in BKK, got to the check-in counter upstairs 30 mins prior to departure, told "flight closed, go to other counter" Told "so Sorry, buy another ticket"...........which I did, on THAI.

What a complete rip-off airline, but as my old pappy used to say "if you want clean, high quality oats, you have to pay a fair price. However, if you are happy with oats that have already been thru the horse once, then that comes a bit cheaper"

CDNinKS.............sounds like you didn't read the terms and conditions.........the website states 15kg baggage allowance and check-in 45 mins before departure.

Fair enough you could argue that if your baggage was checked through then you would of got to check-in well before the 45min deadline...............but you could of checked that at the time of booking and took an earlier flight on the first leg if neccesary.

I wouldn't consider 90 baht a kilo as expensive for excess baggage neither.................i was just looking at the Etihad site for flights back to the Uk and their excess is 1.5% of the one way ticket cost per kilo ,that works out quite a bit more than 90 baht/kilo.

All in all i don't mind Airasia. :o

Well I am a frequent flyer and flew on Air Asia for the first and last time today.

Next found out that you can not check your baggage thru. Flight was Surat Thanni-BKK-Chaing Mai.....all on Air Asia. Had to stand around and wait FOREVER to get the luggage in BKK, got to the check-in counter upstairs 30 mins prior to departure, told "flight closed, go to other counter" Told "so Sorry, buy another ticket"...........which I did, on THAI.

What a complete rip-off airline, but as my old pappy used to say "if you want clean, high quality oats, you have to pay a fair price. However, if you are happy with oats that have already been thru the horse once, then that comes a bit cheaper"

your obviously a complete fool with no idea what you were doing today! Its all spelt out very clearly when you book! you did not give yourself enough time on the connection, you did not read the terms and conditions.... you obviously have no idea about overweight charges with other airlines to consider 90 baht a kg expensive.... as a regular AA passenger, you will not be missed on board.

Maybe next time you could consider having a travel agent make your booking and get them to explain the terms of conditions of your booking to you as seems like it's all a bit difficult for you to manage without adult supervision.

Never had a problem with Air Asia.

Get to know the rules and regs, book in advance with their specials.

Over 40 flights now to various destinations at very acceptable prices.

Best deal we ever had was wifey and I flew Chiangmai/Bangkok/Macau return two years ago for 3500 baht each.

The 'Air Asia ripped me off routine' is growing very tired now, they, and other low cost carriers worldwide are all very similar in their rules. and if people have not learnt it by now and can't abide by them, then please, just don't use the service. For those of us who have some idea what we are doing Air Asia are a good airline, I can afford to fly Thai, but I choose Air Asia domestically in Thailand, simply because I don't believe Thai is worth usually 2 to 3 times the price. yes if you book 1 day in advance thai and air asia are probably a similar price but, for example, tomorrow I am flying to Phuket for 1000 baht all in. And I have a flight from Surat Thani to Bangkok later on this week, 175 baht all in (0 baht promotion recently). Air Asia also have dropped fuel surcharges! Unlike Thai (400 baht domestic) and Nokair (still a whopping 950 baht! no reduction since oil peaked... what a ripoff)

I am sorry. But after being back in LOS for a month and flew with AA a few times. I wont fly with them again. Nok Air are much better. IMHO. Shit service and rude check in staff. The wife said the same. Infact she nearly lost it with them . I was the one who calmed her down.

nokair fly about 7 flights a day .... in TOTAL..... can't even begin to compare. not to mention the prices are usually higher. its funny how I have never experienced shit service with AA, as lots of others have said... yet there is a certain amount of people who say its consistently that way.perhaps two different sets of expectations. when i fly a LCC i expect almost nothing :o

nokair fly about 7 flights a day .... in TOTAL..... can't even begin to compare. not to mention the prices are usually higher. its funny how I have never experienced shit service with AA, as lots of others have said... yet there is a certain amount of people who say its consistently that way.perhaps two different sets of expectations. when i fly a LCC i expect almost nothing :o

Typically the biggest let down with AA is the flight delays and cancellations. Numerous times I've had the text on my phone saying such and such flight delayed two-four hours. Also, the delay while waiting for boarding, has happened more than a few times for me.

You accept that as part of the conditions, I understand that, but I just can't use this airlines with confidence if I'm connecting to an international flight.

I have flown Air Asia more times than I care to count; traveling to almost every destination A/A flies in this small insignificant developing third world country. Strange that in all that time I NEVER EVER had a problem, never had someone even remotely speak rude to me, or had a confrontation with any A/A staff.

Once you realize they have NO real gate at Suvarnabhumi, and get on the shuttle bus LAST you can get as good a seat as the people who pay for 'express boarding'. Their overweight baggage charge is one of the lowest in the region. Try lugging an overweight bag on Bangkok Air and get back with me on the fee you pay per kilo over the allowable weight.

It is a budget carrier, and does NOT market itself as a premier flagship government operated airline, like the illustrious thai airways pretends to. Nor does it own any airport it flies into giving it a stranglehold on the price it charges. They are consistently the lowest cost carrier for S/E Asia, and most certainly any destination they fly to inside thailand for domestic flights (even more so if you play their sales, and are flexible with dates).

I suggest everyone complaining, please, use nok, bangkok air or thai airways, as it seems the consensus is they provide superior service.

I guess the well given advice for people to actually "read" the fine print is lost on most of the astute and oh-so learned T/V forum readers who fall into the "whining" category.

Oh the injustice of it all; It is enough to make the mind wobble....

hey tod, sometimes if you are lucky you get a real gate. I have had real gates at suvarnabhumi on a flight from KUL to BKK, and recently a real gate on a BKK-CNX sector. very nice :o The main problem with Suvarnabhumi is they have no 'Low Cost' terminal. So the Air Asia flights park a fair way off on a remote stand, that is not within walking distance of the terminal.

i agree that a domestic to intl connection on air asia could cause an issue, but if you give yourself a good 4 hour connection you will be ok 99.9% of the time. At least they operate into Suvarnabhumi, try a Nok Air to international connection in bangkok, erm, can't do it without a long taxi ride

I still fly Air Asia but the service is not OK at all

One year ago I did had a dispute with them about the 15 kg bagage

I was traveling with 3 people (2 + a 3 year old) so 3X the full prize

It was below 45 kg and in order to not loose face because they calc 30 kg they where saying yes but that

Baby thing is also about 14 kilo's

OK for 500 Bath I did not want to fight but not nice at all

Pieter