Crime Rate In Thailand

fred2007

Violence and murder is much higher here yes, but you are only at risk if you have done something.

Someone I knew was mugged and killed on Sukhumvit Soi 22 by two Thais on a motorbike trying to steal her handbag.

What did she do exactly?

My condolences to your friend.

"Un-provoked violence is almost unheard of". There is an "almost" in there. And I also write: "unless you are really really unlucky". I state that in my experiense, and I include quite a few long time friends here, all of us are 15 + years living in Thailand, we all agree that Thaland feels much much safer than Nothern Europe does. You have proved that Thailand is not entirely safe, thank you and I agree, I don't see that as a surprise. I still stand by my assessment that Thailand is much safer from un-provoked violence than Northern Europe is.

Edited by MikeyIdea

If it is one's karma to attract criminal attack, then attack will occur. If it is not one's karma, it will not happen. Knowing one's karma is far more essential than studying crime rates.

true! and it's so easy to know one's karma as it is for sale in every 7/11 and family for a small token fee :)

With the police station being that close, I'd be very careful!
:):D

That IS funny because it's true.

I have always felt safe in Thailand... even at 3 AM. But, I mostly stay in Chiang Mai. Popular tourist areas are where the thugs and theives hang out. It only makes sense for them to do so. I've NEVER felt threatened in ANY rural area of Thailand... other than venomous snakes, which I like anyway. My best guess is the two most popular areas for misfits (Thai and farang) are Pattaya and Patong beach in Phuket. I walk a lot and very often in the wee hours of the morning. But, I don't flash a lot of gold jewelry or big amounts of cash when I'm in the bars. I also have time share in Jomptien and often walk home from Pattaya over the big hill at night. No problems ever.

I can tell you I feel much safer in Thailand than I do in many areas of Vancouver, BC where I'm from, or many of the big US cities. And, there are places in London, England that I would never go alone.

I can tell you I feel much safer in Thailand than I do in many areas of Vancouver, BC where I'm from, or many of the big US cities. And, there are places in London, England that I would never go alone.

Yup, spot on old chap... Thailand outside of the horrible tourist areas of patters/phuket/sukhumvit is generally safer for a farang than other major western cities....but the packs of soi dogs are more of a concern than roaming humans wanting to rob ya....

When me and my mates first came here we used to go into the slums over at Satu Pradit Bangkok to drink beer...never a problem as the locals used to love it as 3 or 4 farangs would roam around the maze of corrugated shacks to find a drinking den.... not sure i would do it now but then was different..as farangs were a bit less and more of a novelty.

We were also ten feet tall and bullet proof drinking Sangtip.... :)

My condolences to your friend.

"Un-provoked violence is almost unheard of". There is an "almost" in there. And I also write: "unless you are really really unlucky". I state that in my experiense, and I include quite a few long time friends here, all of us are 15 + years living in Thailand, we all agree that Thaland feels much much safer than Nothern Europe does. You have proved that Thailand is not entirely safe, thank you and I agree, I don't see that as a surprise. I still stand by my assessment that Thailand is much safer from un-provoked violence than Northern Europe is.

FYI I have 25 years in Thailand under my belt and I know several people who have been victims of completely unprovoked attacks, not least of all another on Sukhumvit in Bangkok the other night when a friend of mine was punched on the back of the head by a random Thai male.

Alcohol fueled random violence has almost become a culture in come Western countries, however if you avoid certain areas at certain times being a victim of it can be almost completely avoided.

Much alcohol related violence happens in Thailand too, it is also a massive problem, however most foreigners won't be exposed to much of that simply because they move in different circles from the average Thai.

Thailand outside of the horrible tourist areas of patters/phuket/sukhumvit is generally safer for a farang than other major western cities...

No more or less safe IMO.

The crime rate here is very bad, but let's face it, there are many other places where it's worse.

Afganistan, Somalia, Yemen................. :)

I jest. Breakins here are rife, but apart from this i have always felt safer here than in London. When they decide to try to catch the burglers if will be even better but no signs of this yet!

We do not have any police in our village, I have lived here 4 years and have not heard of any crime at all.

on the rare occasion someone gets out of hand his family deals with him. Never had anything stolen!

Certainly a lot safer than living in the U.S., by far!

1) I was mugged in BKK near the Klong Tan intersection. I nearly lost a finger blocking the machete that was arcing toward my head. It was definitely unprovoked. I managed to get away, not really interested in battling two guys wielding machetes with my finger dangling, held on by bits of bone, skin, and tendon.

2) I was involved in a physical altercation with a motorcycle taxi driver at the stand below the Ratchetewi BTS station. I share responsibility with the assailant on this one though as we provoked each other.

3) The wife and I were stalked and nearly attacked by a gang of young roughs while walking along Lad Prao soi 101. We escaped harm by ducking into a temple.

4) My wife was attacked with a steel pipe last year while at a party on a visit to her family's village.

5) My wife was attacked and nearly raped by a taxi driver 3 years ago near Khlong Sam - Rangsit area.

6) Once I was pick pocketed on the BTS and lost a fair bit of cash along with ID, bank cards, etc.

7) I've found myself in numerous situations and locations where you could feel the menace from the locals there: a karaoke place, a Thai go go bar, a far away village where wife and I knew few people.

So no. I don't feel particularly safe in Thailand. But at the same time I don't give it much thought, and don't let it effect the things I do or the places I go.

And to be fair, I was mugged in Seattle earning a broken nose for my efforts at thwarting the robbery. Also as a young boy of seven I was kidnapped and brutally assaulted near a shopping mall in the suburbs of the Seattle area. So I also don't feel particularly safe at home either. And there too it didn't prevent me from going about the daily business of life and the pursuit of enjoyment, experience, and adventure.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

1) I was mugged in BKK near the Klong Tan intersection. I nearly lost a finger blocking the machete that was arcing toward my head. It was definitely unprovoked. I managed to get away, not really interested in battling two guys wielding machetes with my finger dangling, held on by bits of bone, skin, and tendon.

2) I was involved in a physical altercation with a motorcycle taxi driver at the stand below the Ratchetewi BTS station. I share responsibility with the assailant on this one though as we provoked each other.

3) The wife and I were stalked and nearly attacked by a gang of young roughs while walking along Lad Prao soi 101. We escaped harm by ducking into a temple.

4) My wife was attacked with a steel pipe last year while at a party on a visit to her family's village.

5) My wife was attacked and nearly raped by a taxi driver 3 years ago near Khlong Sam - Rangsit area.

6) Once I was pick pocketed on the BTS and lost a fair bit of cash along with ID, bank cards, etc.

7) I've found myself in numerous situations and locations where you could feel the menace from the locals there: a karaoke place, a Thai go go bar, a far away village where wife and I knew few people.

So no. I don't feel particularly safe in Thailand. But at the same time I don't give it much thought, and don't let it effect the things I do or the places I go.

And to be fair, I was mugged in Seattle earning a broken nose for my efforts at thwarting the robbery. Also as a young boy of seven I was kidnapped and brutally assaulted near a shopping mall in the suburbs of the Seattle area. So I also don't feel particularly safe at home either. And there too it didn't prevent me from going about the daily business of life and the pursuit of enjoyment, experience, and adventure.

Perhaps a change of life style is called for?

Which change do you recommend? I can only see where I was at fault in one of those instances. Should I shut myself in? Should I not go visit cousins of my wife in Lad Prao? I don't go into 'Thai only' entertainment venues anymore. Should I not take the BTS? Should I not visit a friend who lives near Klong Tan? Should my wife never take a taxi? Should my wife not have a few drinks with friends at a neighbors house in her village? Should a child never go to a shopping mall with his parents? On the face of it I don't see any merit in your suggestion, but I am open to more specific recommendations if you have any to offer.

Which change do you recommend?

From the long list of incidents you point to it does seem like you either have very bad luck or you circulate in some questionable circles (?) ... Mugged, kidnapped and brutally assaulted in Seattle... dam_n...

From the long list of incidents you point to it does seem like you either have very bad luck or you circulate in some questionable circles (?) ... Mugged, kidnapped and brutally assaulted in Seattle... dam_n...

I'll remind you that the kidnapping occurred when I was 7 years old - at a high end suburban shopping mall. The perpetrator was caught and spent the next 20 years in jail.

The mugging occurred as I was walking to my apartment from the central business district at night. No buses or taxis were available, and I was relatively skint as a young 20-something. I was forced to walk through a bad area at night. And so it happened.

But this thread is about Thailand. I was only offering those non-Thai items as a comparison factor.

Let's face it, the longer you stay here, the more apt you'll be to be, "Whistlin' past the graveyard" :) Who knows when your number is up? We all know living in this country is full of gambles. However most of the real trouble probably comes from your own kind, and not from a Thai. :D