Pvc Windows In Pattaya

NotNew2You

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently used WR Vinyl to install two upvc doors. Great service and happy with the final product and cost. Did try to make contact with Euro pvc and even went in on one occassion but the boss wasn't around, the sales girl didn't have a clue but did take my name and number saying boss would call back. He never did!

• 1 year later...

This thread is a few years old ...

I am about to upgrade my windows, and visited EuroPVC, WR Vinyl and ARC. Asked all 3 for quotes. Waiting to see who has the best deal.

What did surprise me is how some show rooms look like shit, with broken parts scratched up screens etc ... Makes me wonder if that's how the showroom looks like, will my windows look the same ?

Has anybody used any of these 3 lately ? Any feedback ? What should I look out for ?

Thanks,

luudee

Am in the Market again for Windows, so also would be interested in any feedback of recent UPVC Window Installations, Have already had a quote from Wrv which seems fine, but the new Mozzie sliding screens are the same price as the windows !!! 200,000 For windows and 200,000 for the screens !! Hmmm Am waiting on a price from Windsor

Edited by pattayapip

This thread is a few years old ...

I am about to upgrade my windows, and visited EuroPVC, WR Vinyl and ARC. Asked all 3 for quotes. Waiting to see who has the best deal.

What did surprise me is how some show rooms look like shit, with broken parts scratched up screens etc ... Makes me wonder if that's how the showroom looks like, will my windows look the same ?

Has anybody used any of these 3 lately ? Any feedback ? What should I look out for ?

Thanks,

luudee

One observation I would make is to be very clear on what you expect from the finish - especially if you are replacing existing windows - IE if the new profiles are a different size how will they finish everything off, any damaged plaster, holes etc. Be clear also on what locking system you want/expect as there are several different options.

One observation I would make is to be very clear on what you expect from the finish - especially if you are replacing existing windows - IE if the new profiles are a different size how will they finish everything off, any damaged plaster, holes etc. Be clear also on what locking system you want/expect as there are several different options.

This is great advice, thank you Topt !

I discussed this issue with ARC (they are the only ones who seem to be interested so far).

My current aluminum windows use 10 cm wide frames, the new PVC windows will be 8.

Total wall thickness is over 20 cm, with a granite window slab inside touching the aluminum

frame.

ARC presented several options, and I like the placing in the middle option, leaving a 1 cm

grout inside and a 1 cm step outside. Next time I talk to them I will ask if we can make it 5

mm inside and 15 outside, so that the grout won't be to large inside ....

I really like the French Style swing open windows over the sliding type, do you guys have

any opinions feedback regarding the different styles ?

Cheers,

luudee

• Like 1

You may want to ask them their advice about the effect of rain dripping/running back on the outside top of the lintel if you know what I mean - may not make any difference.

I also prefer the swing out but depending on size may not be as convenient if you want full air flow when open - Ie how do you keep them open if windy. They should certainly be more secure and weatherproof than sliding.

You don't mention screens but if you think you may need them I would suggest doing that now as very difficult to retro fit to UPVC.

I'm not sure about the terminology here, I asked them what they would do with the bottom lip if the window is

not flush. They explained that they fill it with silicone and than glue a PVC edge on to it. Which seemed like

a good solution. My current aluminum windows are flush, sealed with silicon, and now after about 10 years

there are signs of the underlying pain and filler coming loose.

​Yeah, I am getting screens as well. ARC had the nicest design, pull down, covering the entire window ...

In all 3 show rooms I visited, it appeared the screens where an after though and not an integral part of the

window frame. ARC had the nicest and cleanest implementation. The other two show rooms where "scary" !

The other two companies I am waiting for the "boss" to get back to me. This will be a large order, with 18

windows (155x110), and 3 large sliding doors (250x200). I am surprised only ARC sent me a quote so far.

luudee

I'm not sure about the terminology here, I asked them what they would do with the bottom lip if the window is

not flush. They explained that they fill it with silicone and than glue a PVC edge on to it. Which seemed like

a good solution. My current aluminum windows are flush, sealed with silicon, and now after about 10 years

there are signs of the underlying pain and filler coming loose.

​Yeah, I am getting screens as well. ARC had the nicest design, pull down, covering the entire window ...

In all 3 show rooms I visited, it appeared the screens where an after though and not an integral part of the

window frame. ARC had the nicest and cleanest implementation. The other two show rooms where "scary" !

The other two companies I am waiting for the "boss" to get back to me. This will be a large order, with 18

windows (155x110), and 3 large sliding doors (250x200). I am surprised only ARC sent me a quote so far.

luudee

If the other two are Euro and WR then I am not overly surprised. When I was having the first "beauty parade" I never ended up with a formal quote from Euro even after revisiting the office to remind the owner. WR I dealt by email directly with Peter the owner but i understand he has become a bit "removed" recently. I was very impressed with Arc but unfortunately their prices were the highest by a wide margin at the time.

Yes, they are. WR is actually called DeKo now. I went back and the Thai guy

at VR made me an estimate at the spot (for a single window) and promised

again somebody would get back to me. His estimate was about 10% above

ARC ...

I'll give them 2 more days to at least call ... than I will decide ....

Thanks for all the feedback !

luudee

This is great advice, thank you Topt !

I discussed this issue with ARC (they are the only ones who seem to be interested so far).

My current aluminum windows use 10 cm wide frames, the new PVC windows will be 8.

Total wall thickness is over 20 cm, with a granite window slab inside touching the aluminum

frame.

ARC presented several options, and I like the placing in the middle option, leaving a 1 cm

grout inside and a 1 cm step outside. Next time I talk to them I will ask if we can make it 5

mm inside and 15 outside, so that the grout won't be to large inside ....

I really like the French Style swing open windows over the sliding type, do you guys have

any opinions feedback regarding the different styles ?

Cheers,

luudee

Swing windows are more sturdy over sliding windows.They will also so be better leakproof and keep the noise out better than sliding windows, but they are also considerable more expensive than sliding windows.

My suggestion is to take inside opening windows over outside opening, because in that case you can fit an insectscreen at the outside and don't need to let the insects in at night when you want to close your windows.

I have sliding windows but have all my insectscreens at the outside.This is also the cheapest option regarding insectscreens as they are fitted on the frame but can simply lifted out for cleaning pruposes.

Thanks, JB.

The Swing windows I saw had the screen mounted inside. Either vertical or

horizontal retraction system. Seemed like a good solution to me, specially

since I am looking for blue reflective glass windows.

I have several windows that open to the terrace, I have to revisit the show

rooms and see what other options are available, as the swing windows would

present an obstacle on the terrace. However, those windows are from the

living room and kitchen, so noise isolation is not that important. But I do

want to be able to open them wide ...

Thanks,

luudee

Be very aware of those roller screens as they brake easy, regardless of what the window people tell you.

As an evidence, take a look at their showrooms and you will notice that the roller screens mostly are broken already.Better go for sliding or fixed screens.

Also keep in mind that at night with the windows open the insects will sit on the insect screens. When you go sleep and have to open the insect screens to be able to close the windows, for sure the insects will be inside.

Edited by jbrain

Swing windows are more sturdy over sliding windows.They will also so be better leakproof and keep the noise out better than sliding windows, but they are also considerable more expensive than sliding windows.

My suggestion is to take inside opening windows over outside opening, because in that case you can fit an insectscreen at the outside and don't need to let the insects in at night when you want to close your windows.

I have sliding windows but have all my insectscreens at the outside.This is also the cheapest option regarding insectscreens as they are fitted on the frame but can simply lifted out for cleaning pruposes.

open windows during daytime to let the heat into the house and closing them at nighttime to prevent cooler air entering is a rather "brainy" method to beat tropical heat.

l-dog%20small.jpg

Going to pay my internet Friday Home Pro is next door, outside was a large collection of sizes UPVC sliding windows and doors, caught my eye because was cheaper then expected, or should I say over 1/2 the price of a couple of years ago..

Eg: 2 m wide sliding patio doors, frames with locks and fittings 6,790 baht.. I am sure when I last looked over 2 years ago was something in the 15,000 baht range.

open windows during daytime to let the heat into the house and closing them at nighttime to prevent cooler air entering is a rather "brainy" method to beat tropical heat.

l-dog%20small.jpg

Not everybody think it's necessary to install industrial ventilators with an unbearable noise level in the ceiling of their industrial workshop house, to get it cooled down .smile.png

Some people also close their windows at night to keep intruders out

Edited by jbrain

l-dog%20small.jpg

Not everybody think it's necessary to install industrial ventilators with an unbearable noise level in the ceiling of their industrial workshop house, to get it cooled down .smile.png

Some people also close their windows at night to keep intruders out

it is also quite "brainy" to assume that people exist who install "industrial ventilators" and run them 24/7 tongue.png

l-dog%20small.jpg

That really depends on the individual situation. In my case, we almost always get a nice

breeze, even on very hot days, so opening the windows does give a nice enough cooling

effect.

Once the insect screens are installed I can see having them open at night as well ...

Only when there is no breeze, do I close the windows and turn on the air ...

So quite "brainy" after all ...

Cheers,

luudee

• Like 1

Quick update:

So EuroPVC did finally contact me and the guy came over and we had a nice

chat and I got a formal quote from them. It seems all 3 dealer I talked to are

within 5-10% of each other price wise. So I was focusing more on the system

they had and the way it all worked and how it was implemented (in their show

rooms).

At the end I decided to place my order with ARC. I have a large house, and I broke

the project up in 3 more or less equal jobs. I figure give them an intensive to do a

good job on the first phase and they will get the second phase ... First one will be

downstairs, 7 swing open windows, 4 sliding windows and one sliding door.

Everything with insect screens.

Tomorrow they will come to measure it all ....

I'll update you guys as things move along ...

Cheers,

luudee

• 1 month later...

I finally got my first batch of windows installed.

The first 4 pictures are of the swing windows. Unfortunately they came with the

wrong locking mechanism. I called the sales lady and she promised to replace it.

Notice the pull down mosquito nets. They are surprisingly very sturdy and solid.

post-81891-0-13400700-1364036612_thumb.j

post-81891-0-45327200-1364036625_thumb.j

post-81891-0-18889200-1364036641_thumb.j

post-81891-0-23679600-1364036648_thumb.j

post-81891-0-30141400-1364036660_thumb.j

The next 4 pictures are of of the sliding windows. I chose to install sliding windows,

in the kitchen and living room as they face the terrace where we like to sit. Swing

open Windows would be a major interference there. The sliding windows worked

out just fine for this area.

post-81891-0-55888800-1364036690_thumb.j

post-81891-0-66354100-1364036748_thumb.j

post-81891-0-06397900-1364036768_thumb.j

post-81891-0-15648800-1364036778_thumb.j

The next pictures are of the sliding door, from the living room to the back terrace.

I've chosen the door style mosquito net, instead of the fancy pull out ones. Main

reason was that the fancy pull out ones would have to be installed outside on to

of t he frame, kind of sticking out. Also I I was worried about the durability of fancy

pull out style vs. the framed door style net.

post-81891-0-67937500-1364036798_thumb.j

post-81891-0-38912900-1364036811_thumb.j

post-81891-0-87967400-1364036822_thumb.j

post-81891-0-62324500-1364036838_thumb.j

Except for the fact that the installation team was not exactly made up of rocket

scientists, and I had to deal with the typical Thai b/s, it worked out quite smooth.

As a side note, I wasn't to concerned with them refinishing the walls around the

windows and sliding door. Truth is that the paint has been peeling of tin those

areas, and I am planning to have my house repainted anyway.

So far, I have not encountered any major show stoppers, and am planning to

continue working with ARC on the upper floors of my house.

Cheers,

luudee

• 1 month later...

they seem to have done a tidy job especially around the windows,this is what concerns me,when the wooden ones are taken out what is the surrounding plaster or cement work like,even behind some of the electric points its like chalk,i have posted some of the sizes on my post i started.

one thing i notice luudee you dont have any security bars behind your glass or do you have a few bangkaew's,all our doors have metal doors inside and mossy nets attached,then windows have metal pattern bars with alloy frames and mossy nets.

Hi Meatboy,

actually they did a really bad job around the windows and doors in terms of finishing it.

I have not been very concerned with that since I am planning to repaint my house anyway,

and want the painter to fix those areas.

What you see on the terrace has been "fixed" by a 3rd party contractor. The geniuses

installing the windows where trying to fill all those gaps (some quite large) with silicon.

I told them to stop trying to "fix" it that way, as we will have to get the silicon out again

to put proper plaster in before we can paint them.

So yeah, be prepared for a mess, and for hiring a 3rd party to fix it properly. They where

very careless ripping out the old frames. I should have done it myself, but since we are

living in the house, timing was an issue ...

I don't have iron bars, on my windows. I have a tall fence, and a separate bungalow for

maid and gardener (husband and wife) who are here all the time. We try to never leave

the property "unmanned".

If you are worried about them coming when you are on the property, go with your wife

to City Hall, get a firearm permit and buy a legally registered firearm.

Before we had "spikes" on our fence I used my firearm a few times to scare them away.

Never had a problem. Now the spikes make it impossible for them to climb over.

The cops say as long as we have a permit, everybody in the house may use the

firearm to defend themselves.

Cheers,

luudee

Hi Meatboy,

actually they did a really bad job around the windows and doors in terms of finishing it.

I have not been very concerned with that since I am planning to repaint my house anyway,

and want the painter to fix those areas.

What you see on the terrace has been "fixed" by a 3rd party contractor. The geniuses

installing the windows where trying to fill all those gaps (some quite large) with silicon.

I told them to stop trying to "fix" it that way, as we will have to get the silicon out again

to put proper plaster in before we can paint them.

So yeah, be prepared for a mess, and for hiring a 3rd party to fix it properly. They where

very careless ripping out the old frames. I should have done it myself, but since we are

living in the house, timing was an issue ...

I don't have iron bars, on my windows. I have a tall fence, and a separate bungalow for

maid and gardener (husband and wife) who are here all the time. We try to never leave

the property "unmanned".

If you are worried about them coming when you are on the property, go with your wife

to City Hall, get a firearm permit and buy a legally registered firearm.

Before we had "spikes" on our fence I used my firearm a few times to scare them away.

Never had a problem. Now the spikes make it impossible for them to climb over.

The cops say as long as we have a permit, everybody in the house may use the

firearm to defend themselves.

Cheers,

luudee

thanks luudee as the wf.keeps the house spotless the mess does worry me and how much care they take ripping out the old frames,

[mind you only 3yrs.old] but some of the doors werent hung properly so every time we close them the bolts dont go into the holes,their way of fixing them was to make the holes bigger till they run out of frame.i think i will do the down stairs plenty of room so we dont have to move much.2 sets of patio doors,front double doors,2 single doors,3 large windows in the front and 2 large,1 small in the kitchen,and the balcony doors upstairs.the wf.went to see a nice house that had their old wooden frames covered with powder coated aluminum as they were told ripping the old ones out would make a mess and they would have to plaster before the new ones could be fitted.i wonder would this last or is it a thai way of doing a rash job.i know the house and they have spent a lot of money over the past years but the house was built about 5yrs.before ours,so does anybody know anyone that has had this done.i shall go and have a look for myself.

thanks luudee as the wf.keeps the house spotless the mess does worry me and how much care they take ripping out the old frames,

[mind you only 3yrs.old] but some of the doors werent hung properly so every time we close them the bolts dont go into the holes,their way of fixing them was to make the holes bigger till they run out of frame.i think i will do the down stairs plenty of room so we dont have to move much.2 sets of patio doors,front double doors,2 single doors,3 large windows in the front and 2 large,1 small in the kitchen,and the balcony doors upstairs.the wf.went to see a nice house that had their old wooden frames covered with powder coated aluminum as they were told ripping the old ones out would make a mess and they would have to plaster before the new ones could be fitted.i wonder would this last or is it a thai way of doing a rash job.i know the house and they have spent a lot of money over the past years but the house was built about 5yrs.before ours,so does anybody know anyone that has had this done.i shall go and have a look for myself.

I think the mess you will encounter no matter what replacement you will chose. I don't think

it is a secret that the guys doing the installations are not exactly "rocket scientists". ARC

had a German guy who really knew the stuff, but he would just come by when there where

serious problems. But he has left the company now.

I have heard from the ARC sales lady about the Aluminum with the wood dust cover. But I

haven't seen it myself. I suggested to her to glue wood veneer on aluminum, but that would

requires some serious skill ...

All of my windows where aluminum, but I also replaced one wooden swing door on the upper

terrace That was a really messy thing, as after removing the wood frame and cover boards,

we where left with raw uneven concrete. I built my house 11 years ago, and could not remember

all the details of the finish work.

So we had to remove some concrete and refinish the entire door frame first before they could

install the new PVC one. On the bright side, it was 'only' 4 days of mess ! An now I am really

happy with my setup.

If you are in pattaya feel free to PM me and come by to heck it out ...

cheers,

luudee

PS: I divided the work here in to several phases as well: First downstairs windows; Second upstairs doors; Fourth upstairs windows; Fifth 3rd floor windows; Sixth Large Hall way bay window. So we get about a 1-2 weeks between the jobs to clean everything up. This week they are working on the upstairs windows.

Edited by luudee