Hellmans Mayonnaise

I don't know where you are, but in BKK on Sukhumvit there is a Robinsons, it's near Asoke, on Sukhumvit. There's a grocery store in the basement level, they have it there. I've seen it in some Carrefoures, Big C's, and in the grocery store at The Mall in Korat. It can be found... as well as Miricle Whip and other brands.

I remember Hellmans in a tube to be the best commercially available mayonaise .... delicate in flavor.. perfectly ballanced .. not too sour not too sweet

beets any other by miles - from your nic i assume you are based in Samui.. check out Colibries

John

.... in BKK on Sukhumvit there is a Robinsons, it's near Asoke, on Sukhumvit. There's a grocery store in the basement level, they have it there. ...

The grocery store in the Robinsons basement is TOPS. The Westin Hotel is the main bldg at the Suk and soi 19 location.

I remember Hellmans in a tube to be the best commercially available mayonaise .... delicate in flavor.. perfectly ballanced .. not too sour not too sweet

beets any other by miles - from your nic i assume you are based in Samui.. check out Colibries

John

Yeah, i know exactly where you mean. I know they supply to the trade so certainly in Samui they could have it.

In BKK soon so i'll also try the other suggestions.

Cheers all!! :o

If you find it anywhere, PLEASE LET US KNOW. Many of my friends have searched high and low for years now and haven't found any.

And a wretched product like Miracle Whip should not even be mentioned in the same sentence!

I have one friend in Pattaya who imports it himself from the U.S. for his personal use.

Incidentally the Best Foods brand here is NOT the same formula as in the US. This is the Thai variety and full of sugar. I think it is dreadful.

If you find it anywhere, PLEASE LET US KNOW. Many of my friends have searched high and low for years now and haven't found any.

And a wretched product like Miracle Whip should not even be mentioned in the same sentence!

I have one friend in Pattaya who imports it himself from the U.S. for his personal use.

Incidentally the Best Foods brand here is NOT the same formula as in the US. This is the Thai variety and full of sugar. I think it is dreadful.

And I have searched high and low in Chiang Mai - Carrefour, Tops, Rimping - in vain.

OK, i'll see if i come up lucky and let you know. Fingers crossed!! :o

A little note of Mayo trivia: Hellmann's and Best Foods Mayonnaise are the exact same product made by the same company. Hellmann's is sold east of the Rocky Mountains in the United States and also in Canada, Latin America and Europe. The exact same product is sold under the name Best Foods in the United States west of the Rockies. Hellmann's and Best Foods I can't explain why the Best Food's mayo sold in Thailand is made with a different formula. Perhaps they think Asians prefer it with more sugar or maybe it's a copyright infringement.

I can't explain why the Best Food's mayo sold in Thailand is made with a different formula. Perhaps they think Asians prefer it with more sugar or maybe it's a copyright infringement.

They used the regular formula up to a few years ago and then switched to the sweet one. They RUINED tuna salad sandwiches as far as I am concerned! :o

Hi

Hellman's mayonnaise - just bought at Villa (the one near Sukhumvit Soi 33)

yum

Thank you bkkmei. I never get to that part of town, but will make the trip if I can't find it at a Villa closer to me!

Interesting - ever since I came to work here (18 years ago) I have looked for Hellmans. I tried every other Mayonnaise, and finally settled on Kraft instead. A few months ago when I found Hellmans in Villa (Soi 11) I enthusiastically bought a bottle! Having waited so long to find it, I then found I actually preferred the Kraft . . . . .

G

as a side point

If you have a food processor 5 egg yolks a tea-spoon of a good Dijon mustard a tablespoon of a good white wine vinegar - turn on the machine and while running drizzle oil into the mixture SLOWLY until you have the desired consistancy - now add salt and sugar to taste - takes about 5 minutes and you have a far better product than any commercial mayo and a lot cheaper - you can also add some crushed garlic at the beginning and you have a great Aioli which makes a perfect Tuna Sandwich and is also a great dip for prawns - another alternative, a teaspoon of curry powder - makes a great chicken salad and is really good on scotch eggs....

It really takes very little effort - even if you don't have a food processor, you can make it with a hand whisk and it may take 10 minutes, but the result is worth it

make sure the eggs are fresh !

John

below, scotch eggs with fresh curry majonnaise and some olive oil and olives- perfect for a party - turns a simple product into something a bit special

post-30681-1218040819_thumb.png

as a side point

If you have a food processor 5 egg yolks a tea-spoon of a good Dijon mustard a tablespoon of a good white wine vinegar - turn on the machine and while running drizzle oil into the mixture SLOWLY until you have the desired consistancy - now add salt and sugar to taste - takes about 5 minutes and you have a far better product ........

How long does this keep in the fridge?

as a side point

If you have a food processor 5 egg yolks a tea-spoon of a good Dijon mustard a tablespoon of a good white wine vinegar - turn on the machine and while running drizzle oil into the mixture SLOWLY until you have the desired consistancy - now add salt and sugar to taste - takes about 5 minutes and you have a far better product ........

How long does this keep in the fridge?

Hi,

should be ok for 3-5 day's in a sealed container but you can adjust the amount and make smaller batches fresh when needed, its really quick and easy- the vinegar is not only for taste but also acts as a light "preservative" lowering the ph level

John

I am not sure what the salomonella rate is here in fresh eggs but would caution that some people, especially children, elderly and pregnant women should avoid raw or uncooked eggs, like those used in fresh mayonnaise recipes. I prefer fresh mayo made with equal parts lemon juice and vinegar and no sugar (yuck).

I have seen Hellmann's and Kraft mayo here but not sure where as I frequent Foodland, Villa, Tops and the Mall Markets. Will try to remember to validate sources. I've been bringing back a 16 oz. Hellmann's squeeze bottle on recent trips so never buy here. Need to find some good relish for tatar sauce.

I am not sure what the salomonella rate is here in fresh eggs but would caution that some people, especially children, elderly and pregnant women should avoid raw or uncooked eggs, like those used in fresh mayonnaise recipes. I prefer fresh mayo made with equal parts lemon juice and vinegar and no sugar (yuck).

I have seen Hellmann's and Kraft mayo here but not sure where as I frequent Foodland, Villa, Tops and the Mall Markets. Will try to remember to validate sources. I've been bringing back a 16 oz. Hellmann's squeeze bottle on recent trips so never buy here. Need to find some good relish for tatar sauce.

This is why I promote making it fresh when and as needed although the vinegar and or lemon juice will lower the ph level and makes it quite safe. One could also use the same argument about eggs, sunny side up where the yolk is also un-cooked and I have eaten those here for over 20 years without a problem...

I prefere a good white wine vinegar .. guess that's a question of taste and the sugar is a matter of taste as well, some people like it sweeter than others, however, a small amountof sugar will not actually sweeten it, but lift the flavor,

Tartar sauce - cornichons - capers - some Tarragon and minced scallions all chopped finely and mixed with the majo make a great tartar sauce - add a bit of the cornichons liquid as well,

John