House Security

faranglandoz

Is it neccessary to put security bars over all windows and doors of a new house. Would an investment in a security system be enough, or do you need both. If you have the security system hooked-up to the telephone system, and it alerts the local police station, can you expect immediate action if the alarm is activated.

Faranglandoz :o

Immediate action from the police? Are you joking? Are you in Thailand?

I think the bars on the windows is the best idea. I really wouldn't depend on the police, sometimes they do their job, but there's also a chance they will catch the theives and take the goods. Just beware.

Is it neccessary to put security bars over all windows and doors of a new house. Would an investment in a security system be enough, or do you need both. If you have the security system hooked-up to the telephone system, and it alerts the local police station, can you expect immediate action if the alarm is activated.

Faranglandoz :o

Gets the bars mate.

someone in your house with the alarm ringing, robber getting more panicky every second because of the noise. Your alarm hooked up to the cop shop who have no fuel in their motorbikes? You have more chance of being dead than robbed. Get the bars. You may think they are unsightly, but they are very common in many countries.

someone in your house with the alarm ringing, robber getting more panicky every second because of the noise. Your alarm hooked up to the cop shop who have no fuel in their motorbikes? You have more chance of being dead than robbed. Get the bars. You may think they are unsightly, but they are very common in many countries.

Get the ones with pretty flowers on :o

Get the ones with pretty flowers on :o

Ask around as the making of these bars is pretty much a local cottage industry and you can easily have made any pattern you design or have designed for you.

Security bars in Thailand are definitely the way to go however would suggest that you consider using security bars with inside safety release mechanisms in any areas that you could get trapped by fire in the house (especially if you have children). People die by getting trapped inside their house by fire and not having openable from the inside bars. Here in California safety releases in security bars are now mandated by current building codes if installed in homes .

Yes, it is necessary for Bars if you wish to keep values, such as gold, Rolex watches, etc in your resident. I don't want can't afford a lot of expensive things, which on entice the thief. Beside I decided to live in the land of Smile in peace and freedom not in a prison behind bars. Oh! well if you need them get them. To each his Own :o:D

Security bars in Thailand are definitely the way to go however would suggest that you consider using security bars with inside safety release mechanisms in any areas that you could get trapped by fire in the house (especially if you have children). People die by getting trapped inside their house by fire and not having openable from the inside bars. Here in California safety releases in security bars are now mandated by current building codes if installed in homes .

Know any places in bangkok that sell them jetjock?

I mean the safety mechanisms.

Edited by MonkeyHouse

Yes, it is necessary for Bars if you wish to keep values, such as gold, Rolex watches, etc in your resident. I don't want can't afford a lot of expensive things, which on entice the thief. Beside I decided to live in the land of Smile in peace and freedom not in a prison behind bars. Oh! well if you need them get them. To each his Own :o:D

If you want to live in a cave i have heard afghanistan is a pleasant place!

What i mean by that is you stated "I decided to live in the land of Smile in peace and freedom". Your kidding yourself if u think thailand is that!

Edited by MonkeyHouse

Know any places in bangkok that sell them jetjock?

I mean the safety mechanisms.

Monkey--The safety release safety system is sometimes built into the security bars that you buy but also retrofit safety release kits are available for standard bars. Unfortunately I do not know if or where the safety type bars or the retro-kits would be able to be purchased in Thailand. FYI, here is a little blurb about security bars that I copied off the internet that might be helpful:

Security Bars, also called Burglar Bars or Window Bars, which are placed over windows, have become common in many cities around the country as crime increases. It seems that many people are more afraid of being victims of crime than of being victims of a fire. The very bars they live behind for protection are the same ones that create an escape barrier and trap them, preventing them from escaping the toxic fumes of smoke and the heat of fire. Fire rescue and EMS personnel often find themselves encountering these obstructions, some of which are permanently installed over windows and cannot be opened to allow escape in case of an emergency. These barriers must be overcome before any life safety can begin. Bars on windows can quickly become a death trap for firefighters on the inside as well. Smoke detectors, fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors are all part of a good fire safety plan, but don’t provide the total solution if the smoke and flames cannot be escaped.

Windows and doors with security bars should have quick-release devices to allow them to be opened immediately in an emergency. If the security bars on a home, especially on bedroom windows, are permanently fixed or do not have quick release devices, they should be retrofitted with an approved quick-release device. These devices operate from inside and allow the bars to be opened for emergency escape without compromising the security of your home. The quick-release devices should be easy to open without the use of a key, detailed knowledge, or great physical effort. Some states and cities have adopted building codes, which required that all dwellings leave some windows unbarred, to address this problem.

A lot depends on where you live and your lifestyle.

If crime rates are high in your area and you are known as the local millionaire, you are more likely to be targeted.

Intruder alarms are a good deterrent, especially if you fit some flashing led's to the alarm box. No burglar wants to make a noise and attract attention.

Window/door grilles are also a visual deterrent, but if you look around you will see that most will only resist an attack for a few minutes.

However, those few minutes could be all you need.

The main advantage of bars and grilles (IMO) is that you can leave your doors and windows open when you are working in the garden or just going out for a short time in the day. Or - some people prefer to sleep with a window open.