Giving To Beggars

girlx

or being a 5 year old kid selling roses to sex tourists at 1am.... what do you think?

That seems like a legitimate trade, not begging. I've only ever seen the children around romantic restaurants btw, and these little buggers are selling the b grade roses for 5 and 10 baht each, sometimes asking for 20 baht. They are probably worth about 2 baht at the market.

I gave 10 baht to an hobbling old woman begger the other day. She had a sad looking face and I felt sorry for her. She started following me but I quickened the pace and lost her.

All the rose girls here on Samui are from Myanmar whre they have been sold to gang to pay the parents debts.

Modern slavery. :o

sounds like bs to me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's about 800baht for 8 hrs of begging, tax free. Now a factory worker or restaurant staff will make 300 baht per day and work a 12 hr shift.

I too generally don't give to seemingly able-bodied, but I find it hard to see what else a guy with no arms below the elbow is going to do for a living. I would guess many people in that situation would long to be able to work in a factory for 12 hours or hold a loved one in their arms or even do something as simple as pick their nose.

My GF has always give a 10 Baht to old ladies she sees begging, I have started balancing up the donations for men.

Kids selling roses etc. to people in bars - very wrong, but as the parents are seldom Thai the people in this country don't really care.

or being a 5 year old kid selling roses to sex tourists at 1am.... what do you think?

That seems like a legitimate trade, not begging. I've only ever seen the children around romantic restaurants btw, and these little buggers are selling the b grade roses for 5 and 10 baht each, sometimes asking for 20 baht. They are probably worth about 2 baht at the market.

I gave 10 baht to an hobbling old woman begger the other day. She had a sad looking face and I felt sorry for her. She started following me but I quickened the pace and lost her.

All the rose girls here on Samui are from Myanmar whre they have been sold to gang to pay the parents debts.

sounds like bs to me.

They don't speak any Thai.

And have a "Mamas" guarding them all time.

They even equipped with cell phones if immigration police comes.

They come running along my friends bar at the end of a soi and climbs over a wall there.

Legitimate trade..... wake up and smell the roses.

Edited by PoorSucker

sounds like bs to me.

10 baht please :D

sounds like bs to me.

They don't speak any Thai.

And have a "Mamas" guarding them all time.

They even equipped with cell phones if immigration police comes.

They come running along my friends bar at the end of a soi and climbs over a wall there.

"wake up and smell the roses"

ok.

i will check for the things you described next time I see these children.

cheers.

Just another thought. I have been here for 8 years and I agree with the harder note that many have expressed here. But I'd like to mention one more angle.

Like it or not, every time I choose not to help I feel like something inside me is dying. This is what the mafia are counting on. If you have the time and money and of course the language skills, you could ask if there is something that you could really do for them, such as bring them some food. Maybe even ask if you can help them escape the tyranny they are under.

In the end the best use of your money is to go and find one of the many wonderful groups in this country that are serving and helping the needy and give to them. You will find that often (for many of the service groups/NGO's/Mission works) 100% of your donation goes to help the poor. Maybe soul-wrestling with your compassion is a good use of your time.

I agree that gangs organised the handicapped, children. I have young nephew & niece and sad to see children out in the street late at night either run by gangs or their parents. IMO, I actually see less beggars than many year ago. Use to see it a lot on the bridges. As far as helping them, some would rather not get involve, or asking the wrong people for help and can get themself in troubles.

i have heard that most beggars in thailand are controlled by gangs and that you should not give to them or you perpetuate a bad situation in which they have all their money snatched away from them by some gang leader and are beaten if they have not gotten enough... on the other hand, if you give them money they don't get beaten! or you could give them food! it can't be nice crawling around on a city street with your baby begging from people, or being a 5 year old kid selling roses to sex tourists at 1am.... what do you think?

Had to fit the X word in didn't you. How revealing.

onzestan

yes onz, you have proven yourself very sensitive. mothers and children crawling in squalour, child labour into the wee hours and what offends you? revealing indeed.

i have heard that most beggars in thailand are controlled by gangs and that you should not give to them or you perpetuate a bad situation in which they have all their money snatched away from them by some gang leader and are beaten if they have not gotten enough... on the other hand, if you give them money they don't get beaten! or you could give them food! it can't be nice crawling around on a city street with your baby begging from people, or being a 5 year old kid selling roses to sex tourists at 1am.... what do you think?

Had to fit the X word in didn't you. How revealing.

onzestan

yes onz, you have proven yourself very sensitive. mothers and children crawling in squalour, child labour into the wee hours and what offends you? revealing indeed.

When i was a sex tourist i never bought roses :o However, i did give money to the human slugs that come out when it is raining - especially along the Sukumvit :D

I was sitting talking with a Thai friend in town when a beggar spotted me, a farang, and made a beeline. My friend went out to him and told me he'd told the beggar if he was hungry, the local Wat would give him a meal. The beggar replied 'But I'm not religious' my friend said 'No, you are mad!' :o

Despite this being a potential morbid thread there is some comedic genius in this thread.

Sgtpeppers “I gave 10 baht to an hobbling old woman begger the other day. She had a sad looking face and I felt sorry for her. She started following me but I quickened the pace and lost her. “

Swanky “Beggars have to do something before I will give money, juggle, sing, etc.”

Tod-Daniels “That guy with one leg cut off who crawls along Sukhumvit, I've named "inch-worm", and that other guy I call "spine-boy" with the humpback who wai's incessantly are really a pleasant guys to chat with”

RakJungTorlae “Sometimes we gave them a good beating. And sometimes we needed stitches.”

RakJungTorlae “My advice.. Some elderly would pretty much benefit form a few baht. A beer from 7 maybe too.”

Whatsoever “When i won the lottery a few years ago my wife told me to not worry too much about begging. Nevertheless i continued to send out letters and still make a good living”

Whatsoever “However, i did give money to the human slugs that come out when it is raining”.

The visual imagery is just too funny. I can’t stop laughing at these posts...but I feel kind of bad about it. I will give money to a few beggars to get some merit points back...but only if they juggle.

Despite this being a potential morbid thread there is some comedic genius in this thread.

Sgtpeppers “I gave 10 baht to an hobbling old woman begger the other day. She had a sad looking face and I felt sorry for her. She started following me but I quickened the pace and lost her. “

Swanky “Beggars have to do something before I will give money, juggle, sing, etc.”

Tod-Daniels “That guy with one leg cut off who crawls along Sukhumvit, I've named "inch-worm", and that other guy I call "spine-boy" with the humpback who wai's incessantly are really a pleasant guys to chat with”

RakJungTorlae “Sometimes we gave them a good beating. And sometimes we needed stitches.”

RakJungTorlae “My advice.. Some elderly would pretty much benefit form a few baht. A beer from 7 maybe too.”

Whatsoever “When i won the lottery a few years ago my wife told me to not worry too much about begging. Nevertheless i continued to send out letters and still make a good living”

Whatsoever “However, i did give money to the human slugs that come out when it is raining”.

The visual imagery is just too funny. I can’t stop laughing at these posts...but I feel kind of bad about it. I will give money to a few beggars to get some merit points back...but only if they juggle.

Me too. I've copied and pasted for the folks back home :o

• 2 weeks later...

Beggars are one of the biggest problems with bangkok. On Nana they sit there with their full pack of smokes ans a cell phone and yell at you if you don't give them Bahts.. I've come close to kicking one in the face after he kicked my leg because I would give. I've been spit on by them and their are only about 6 from nana to the BTS. Right in front of the police. Are the police collecting money from them? Why else would they let 6 homeless ruin a family's holiday in Bangkok. Why are the shop owners not kicking them off their steps? The sidewalks are narrow so they try to block you when you pass. It's not right! It's not right for the shop owners, the food venders, and the tourist. MAKE THEM LEAVE OR LOCK THEM UP!!!

I never give directly.

I give to organisations.

Always wondered during my first time here why the locals, that were supposed to be such good and decent caring people, never gave anything to the beggars.

Also wondered back then how these limbless beggars managed to pop up infront of the various malls.

Of course, now I know why.

I was at a 7-11 at Asok near Oceon Towers2.

And saw this women going thru garbage and was like eating out of it.

For the person that i am , i don't like that and decided to give her 40baht for her to go get something to eat.

Instead i got scolded for trying to do something good.

I was like <deleted>! i'll never give anything anymore :S

why need cambo kids to beg? do they need work permit? Do you not understand that many children are controlled by "gangs" and it is easier to force Cambodian children to do the dirty work than Thai children? Do they need a work permit? Are you joking? Who are you and why can't you think logically or post any posts that make make sense?? :o:D:D

what i dont like is seeing beggars who breastfeed in public. i always have to look twice to make sure im seeing what im seeing :o:D:D

i think its a scam so i spend more at nana!

Ohh goodness....a woman's exposed breast in public. How terribly horrible. :( We all know that women's breasts are obscene and indescent when seen in public but instantly revert to being awesome when seen in private. LMAO. What a joke! :D I had to "look twice" to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing when reading your ridiculous post. :D

Why do YOU have to "look twice"? Have you never seen a woman's breast or a woman breast feeding in public? I understand that there are some people who are very mentally immature and can't handle seeing a woman using her breasts the way they are supposed to be used. All mammals breast feed. It is normal and the way mammals evolved. Unfortunately, there are still a few weirdos that have an immature and/or psychological problem / issue after seeing a woman breast feed (in private or public). I see women breast feeding in public all over SE Asia. What does it matter if a woman is doing it while begging or not?

BTW... Are you a male or female or intersexed? Your screen name is "cynthialee" but you state you will "spend more at Nana". Are you a lesbian? None of your posts make much sense. Are you drunk or very young? Those would not even be good excusses for your jibberish ramblings.

Just don't do it as much as sometimes it grabs the old heart strings.

Most of them are run by organised gangs - if you feel you must do something, then buy some food from a nearby street vendor or if there is a baby maybe baby food from a 7-11 or similar

stop being idiots and only give money to the mission center. that thing with the father guy.

people in the streets = scammy touts..

kids in the streets = future tuk tuk drivers already in love with money.

let them rot, they hate farangs and just want to make easy money stealing from us.

the good kids are gonna end up going to that mission church place and enjoy being a kid.

As much as I feel sympathy for these poor souls, I won't give money. I don't trust that the money is going to where it should. Besides which the government should be fixing the issue not the western expats and tourists.

I once looked over the wall at Asoke BTS and by chance there was a beggar on the ground with his legs covered. When he thought no one was watching, he'd tip the coins out of the cup into a pouch and move the notes into an already stuffed wallet. Probably only a couple of hundred baht, but he wasn't going to starve.

I do feel bad when I see old people begging as I know there's little or no welfare system to look after them and that not everyone has offspring to care for them. You do sometimes see old ladies and can't help thinking they have shit lives with nothing to look forward to, so slip them 20b or so.

I watched some begger from a window on Sukhumvit once. In about 30 minutes he had put away about 100 baht. When his cup got too many coins, he put the money in his pocket. That's about 800baht for 8 hrs of begging, tax free. Now a factory worker or restaurant staff will make 300 baht per day and work a 12 hr shift.

Once I even gave a small bag of fruit to a begger. She gave me a dirty look and tossed the bag to her side.

A Thai friend told me the blind guys singing karaote from a box will take in 2,000baht per day.

In Cambodia, almost everyone gives to beggars, but miniscule amounts (1,000 Riel or so, about $0.24 USD), with the idea that many people giving small amounts will add up to something that can be helpful. The foreigner is expected to contribute right along with the locals, but in these acceptable small amounts. I had no problem with that.

So, I was in Vietnam a couple weeks ago, and decided to test out the same system I learned in Cambodia.

It doesn't work.

An old crippled lady came right into the Saigon restaurant where I was eating, and shook something noisy in an empty can right in front of my table, and wouldn't leave until I made my contribution. So, I decided to do my "small share", and handed over 10,000 Dong (about $0.60 US), feeling somewhat self-satisfied. Imagine my surprise when she scowled, threw the money back at me, and then took out a hard French bun from a sack, and threw it at me, smacking me squarely in the forehead (to the amusement of the other Vietnamese sitting in the same restaurant). It must have been my totally befuddled look which added to the hilarity of the other customers.

I guess in some countries beggars CAN be choosers.

I don't give to beggars, but my Thai wife does give to old beggers. I asked her why and she said that

Buddha smiles at her. :o

Not picking on the above person but this trick is as old as Methusala.

It is so easy to become a part of the "guilt" program. And let's face it..."Thai Culture" (like many other programs cultures) is riddled overflowing with "guilt" fostering ideals.

I never give money to beggars & I feel no guilt whatsoever about this. On the other hand, I am willing to give my time to such people, should I choose to do so.

Edited by elkangorito

Regardless if they're organized, trucked in or not, it's irrelevant to me.

If your missing limbs, deformed, getting around on a crawler, that's a harsh hand to be dealt.

The chump change I have in my pocket that would just go in my ash tray for the maid may go a long way for these unfortunates.

A percentage may go to their handlers but I'm sure they're clever enough to keep a portion for themselves by hook or crook.

At the very least it's a simple Karma check on how good my situation is compared to how bad it could be, (and that's the core mechanism in use, ... look at me, this could be you, a little charity to keep your good Karma going ...),

I don't step over them like they're so much discarded refuse, I acknowledge them, give a little change and go on my way,

But make no mistake, you better have nubs showing and not just disheveled and dirty faced, there's a difference between the truly unfortunate and a common bum. :o

Edited by cobra