Anytime You Hear The Word Thailand In A Film

lifeisrandom

The testament to the Thai way of life for the wealthy are the monoliths housing thousands of professional girls along Ratchadphisek and spread throughout Thailand. These girls are expensive and generally reserved for the wealthy Thai politicians, business leaders, high ranking police and military officers and their friends. They have private entrances and privileges only they can afford. Business hours and closing times are for other people and except for the occasional garish edifice we tend to forget about them completely. The powers that be could actually be in a meeting now, sitting in a giant hot tub with dozens of naked women laughing about the next sin tax to be imposed on the masses. I've got to make more Thai friends.

Good post Grant.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you freaking serious?!!! Where else in the world does a family go on holiday to be faced with 'hello I lub you were you flom' down every dam_n street in the tourist/supposedly family oriented MAJOR roads - not tucked discreetly down some alleyway - every time they venture out with their wives and children for an evening stroll? Here on Phuket it's a downright embarrassment and I truly think you have NO shame. :o

Actually the initial call is, "Harrow Hansum Man, Welcome, Come inside please, one more beer".

The 'hello I lub you were you flom' generally doesn't occur until the relationship is becoming more serious and developing into a full blown love affair maybe five minutes after the beer and ladydrink have arrived.... :D:D:D

you watch a movie if thailand comes up its 99% of the time at the end of a prostitute or pedophile joke

do the Thai people care about this reputation?

go to any asia country and mention Thai and its always wink wink

why does thailand have to be known as the worlds whorehouse???

Erm well actuall it doesn't , last night there was some movie on here in the UK with Steven Seagull (yes I know) not that I like him but being as it was set in Thailand I watched it......... gosh it was crap!! and he looked really fat.

its sad people can come here only for sex

They don't. They come for the pristine beaches, great weather, beautiful unspoilt scenery, temples and culture. :o

its frustrating to read this.

this is a beautiful country and the only thing you can enjoy about it is cheap sex?

how many hours/minutes a day do you spend having sex?

what do you do with the rest of your time?

as someone who truely loves thailand, its just sad that people could be so disrespectful. how would a Thai working in a hotefeel if they head this comment? that the visitors to their country are only interested in exploiting its poor. its insulting, racist and moronic.

thailand has much to offer, maybe its YOU thats the problem.

Cute. All that info gleaned from a one-line post. Your opinion of me is superficial, to say the least. Very ignorable :D

as someone who truely loves thailand, its just sad that people could be so disrespectful. how would a Thai working in a hotefeel if they head this comment? that the visitors to their country are only interested in exploiting its poor. its insulting, racist and moronic.

Actually that is one thing that really annoys me, the hotel taxi drivers, bell boys and porters who are always trying to sell body massages and offer to procure girls.

Actually that is one thing that really annoys me, the hotel taxi drivers, bell boys and porters who are always trying to sell body massages and offer to procure girls.

I had that in a Khon Kaen Hotel, must be our reputation. :D

Did I go for it, I ain't saying. :o

you watch a movie if thailand comes up its 99% of the time at the end of a prostitute or pedophile joke

I don't honestly think that the Thai working girls care at all about what the rest of the world think about them. hey are more concerned about finding a good life for them and here families. We have uneducated people looking for a way out and it appears to be a good option with the possibility of finding a farang man that can provide a good living for them.

I ask the question. in which other country would a farang be prepared to marry a prostitute (sex worker). Would you go to the Amsterdam red light area to look for a wife. I doubt it very much, so why are farang who come to Thailand prepared to marry a lady of the night and indeed in many cases take her back to their own country to show of their young beauty to their friends and family.

I think that it is the norm in most Asian countries for younger women to marry older wiser wealthier men who are prepared to take care of their families. Where else in the world other than Asia can you find a wife who is half you age?

Most people that have not been to Thailand look at the 'sinsod' as being the price of the bride. Have you been asked 'how much did you pay for your wife' I have and it's not very nice and whatever the explanation is not accpeted by anyone because of the reputation of Thailand. I think that farang married to Thais worry more about the reputation of Thailand than the Thais.

Cheers, Rick

itll never happen. the western psyche is different.

I bet The British never thought they would lose their Empire, but they did.

Every dog has it's day, the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Huns, Mongols..........etc etc etc. I bet they could never envisage changes either.

Yet here we are in 2008, the British Empire consists of...ummmm....ummm... Isle of Wight ? :o

Things do change, have changed in the past and will change in the future, as to what those changes will be, we can only speculate.

Yet change they most certainly will.

AND the Falklands mate. Don't forget the Falklands.

Where else in the world other than Asia can you find a wife who is half you age?

Anywhere as long as you are rich enough !

Joe Bloggs from Halifax ain't gonna pull a 19 year old catwalk Model as a casual GF, Rod Stewart can and he's 65, she'd marry him too if he asked.

Us poorer folk have to come to Asia. :o

Rich guys in the west have more choice, and I can't think of any Farang Movie Star or Rock star who has a Thai GF or Wife.

itll never happen. the western psyche is different.

I bet The British never thought they would lose their Empire, but they did.

Every dog has it's day, the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Huns, Mongols..........etc etc etc. I bet they could never envisage changes either.

Yet here we are in 2008, the British Empire consists of...ummmm....ummm... Isle of Wight ? :o

Things do change, have changed in the past and will change in the future, as to what those changes will be, we can only speculate.

Yet change they most certainly will.

AND the Falklands mate. Don't forget the Falklands.

I know that this is off topic so apologies for that but i had to answer the above stupid comment.

British Commonwealth.

The British Commonwealth is a brotherhood of 53 nations on this planet consisting of a diverse range of 1,921,974,000 people. 16 of which have HM Queen Elizabeth II, Defender of our Protestant Faith as head of state. Those 16 nations are the best nations on earth. Its more than a common heritage we share but for hundreds of years we have fought for the common good of planet earth. Another thing we all share is our conection to the United Kingdom and the fact that at one stage in each of the countires history they where British or under British rule!

Cheers, Rick

Where else in the world other than Asia can you find a wife who is half you age?

Anywhere as long as you are rich enough !

Joe Bloggs from Halifax ain't gonna pull a 19 year old catwalk Model as a casual GF, Rod Stewart can and he's 65, she'd marry him too if he asked.

Us poorer folk have to come to Asia. :o

Rich guys in the west have more choice, and I can't think of any Farang Movie Star or Rock star who has a Thai GF or Wife.

The point that i am making is that Thailand is a one stop shop for a young wife and has the reputation for being so due to the advertisements on the internet, dating agencies etc. Yes even on Thai visa look at the top of the page.

Cheers, Rick

If there was a fun factor in Tokyo, do you honestly believe the average Joe could afford to pay for it ?

It is no coincidence that poor and developing countries are the targets of sex tourists, you can get whatever you want in any country, it's just cheaper to go to poorer countries where there is no welfare state to help the less fortunate people.

Sorry, but this is largely hogwash.

Japan is notorious for illicit sex trade, not only in many areas of Tokyo but in other areas as well. Although I believe they have been shut down, for many many years there were Amsterdam-like "window shopping" areas in Kawasaki and Yokohama where the going rate was 5,000-10,000 yen, or well less than 100 US bucks. Considering the relative costs of living in Japan vs. Bangkok, the normalized costs for services would probably be very similar.

The only thing different in Japan is that it is only rarely that "J-girls" get into the trade. Most girls are trafficked in from Korea, Philipines, USA, Russia, Thailand, etc., by the Yakuza. Very often, they enter the country under false pretences and are forced into the trade. Outside from the nice parts of culture, people and country, Japan can be a very decadent and corrupt place. Make no mistake about it.

Sorry that's not true. I can provide you with links to hundreds of brothels in Tokyo where there are ONLY Japanese girls.

First off, nothing wrong with prostitution. (I am talking about prostitution, NOT trafficking, or pedo-activities)

second of all, yeah, one gets tired of hearing a very stereotyped image of Thailand.

The British Empire was mentioned, not The Commonwealth, 2 totally different things.

They were previously under British rule and 16 countries still recognise the queen as the head of state.

I dont intend to highjack this thread, sorry to the OP.

Cheers, Rick

...The point that i am making is that Thailand is a one stop shop for a young wife and has the reputation for being so due to the advertisements on the internet, dating agencies etc. Yes even on Thai visa look at the top of the page.

Cheers, Rick

I hope you're wrong on such a respectable forum as this... :o All this talk about sex, money, Asian wives etc... So I did just that and looked at the top of this page. There is an ad saying:

"Book now pay later. We know what you want." Then there is a picture of a wallet with a chain around it... :D

All looks a bit kinky and untoward to me... :D

These media (mostly in movies) jokes really work when you refer to Thailand.

We could name many countries with rampant prostitution, including the USA, but this is one of those situations where there is a very large GRAIN OF TRUTH in the stereotype. Frankly, I can't think of even one country in the running to replace Thailand in these kinds of jokes, which indeed are sometimes funny even if they may make us cringe, so I suggest, better get used to it!

This all might not be fair, but what else is new?

If the Thai powers that be want to change this world view they can't do it with another hypocritical "morality" campaign. They would have to go alot deeper than that, and come on, those of us who have even a superficial understanding of Thailand, know this ain't gonna happen.

Edited by Jingthing

its not a pretty site to see grandpa farang and his catch of the night strolling home. you dont see that stuff in singapore or hong kong. the farang there are a different breed.

Yes you do, ever been to Geylang? ever visited the Four floors (oops I mean Orchard Towers) how about the good old Wan Chai district in HK?

"Farang" are the same breed the world over.

Exactly, there is plenty of prostitution in both places and Malaysia and Indonesia as well.

I would say that MEN are the same the world over.

A narrow minded idea about males, their sexuality and emotions.

its sad people can come here only for sex

They don't. They come for the pristine beaches, great weather, beautiful unspoilt scenery, temples and culture. :o

its frustrating to read this.

this is a beautiful country and the only thing you can enjoy about it is cheap sex?

how many hours/minutes a day do you spend having sex?

what do you do with the rest of your time?

thailand has much to offer, maybe its YOU thats the problem.

Why are you blaming foreigners for the Thais problems? Were you under the ridiculous notion that prostitution would stop in Thailand if all foreigners stopped coming here? The Thais allow and promote the prostitution for themselves and foreigners, if you've got a problem take it up with them, they are responsible. How much do you love Thailand now?

Edited by Sabum

Just looked again and there's an add for "AsianFriendFinder with a pretty young Asian lady. I reckon Bangkokrick is onto something here... Then another ad saying "can't find what you're looking for? try our toolfinder.."

My god, even Thai Visa is in on it... :o

its not a pretty site to see grandpa farang and his catch of the night strolling home. you dont see that stuff in singapore or hong kong. the farang there are a different breed.

Yes you do, ever been to Geylang? ever visited the Four floors (oops I mean Orchard Towers) how about the good old Wan Chai district in HK?

"Farang" are the same breed the world over.

Exactly, there is plenty of prostitution in both places and Malaysia and Indonesia as well.

I would say that MEN are the same the world over.

A narrow minded idea about males, their sexuality and emotions.

China is now the biggest whore house in the world. I hope that in the future that this will take some of the heat away from Thailand, but i doubt it as bad reputations are hard to break.

I get pestered more by hookers in Shanghai than i do on the streets of Bangkok.

Cheers, Rick

/snip

The problem is if you're basing your perceptions of a what a place is like, or what happened in any given momment in history on a Hollywood movie then you are likely to come unstuck- these people are not in the business of reporting the truth and their use of racial sterotyping is outrageous. People (perhaps yourself included, I don't know), believe this tosh and before you know it they've happily managed to pigeon-hole an enormous number of people. Hollywood is a branch of the media afterall.

As many have said, prostitution exsists everywhere in the world. I'm sure Thailand did not set out to be known as the world's brothel. Ignorant people have labelled it such. :o

...As many have said, prostitution exsists everywhere in the world. I'm sure Thailand did not set out to be known as the world's brothel. Ignorant people have labelled it such. :o

As indeed have educated people... average family tourists... and for that matter people from almost any category generally walking around with their eyes open...funny coincidence really... :D

I'd love to say for my wife and kids' sake that it was complete fiction. Unfortunately I'll have to finish digging that hole to stick my head before I can share that view... :D

Whilst we're on or maybe off the topic, what was it? Ah yes, films and Thai references.

I've just remembered a scene from the film ALI G Indahouse :o

Amazing Blowpipes!!! Surely a totally undeserved stereotypical reference, disgraceful.

There were two funny scenes in that movie that included ping pong balls. I could see why table tennis fans everywhere would be upset.

(I loved the Mongolia reference as well)

/snip

The problem is if you're basing your perceptions of a what a place is like, or what happened in any given momment in history on a Hollywood movie then you are likely to come unstuck- these people are not in the business of reporting the truth and their use of racial sterotyping is outrageous. People (perhaps yourself included, I don't know), believe this tosh and before you know it they've happily managed to pigeon-hole an enormous number of people. Hollywood is a branch of the media afterall.

As many have said, prostitution exsists everywhere in the world. I'm sure Thailand did not set out to be known as the world's brothel. Ignorant people have labelled it such. :o

May not have set out to create it, but you don't have to spend much time in Pattaya to have the impression that's what it is. And I don't think a persons IQ will affect the label you put on it.

...As many have said, prostitution exsists everywhere in the world. I'm sure Thailand did not set out to be known as the world's brothel. Ignorant people have labelled it such. :o

As indeed have educated people... average family tourists... and for that matter people from almost any category generally walking around with their eyes open...funny coincidence really... :D

I'd love to say for my wife and kids' sake that it was complete fiction. Unfortunately I'll have to finish digging that hole to stick my head before I can share that view... :D

I agree, there is at least some (probably alot) of truth to the stereotypes, and that makes the jokes more funny. Just accept this.

Just looked again and there's an add for "AsianFriendFinder with a pretty young Asian lady. I reckon Bangkokrick is onto something here... Then another ad saying "can't find what you're looking for? try our toolfinder.."

My god, even Thai Visa is in on it... :o

Lol! Yep it looks like the defenders of the realm are exploiting the masses. No change there then!

Cheers, Rick