Police Clearance Certificate

Right, I fear this is very confusing.

I have been offered a job in the UK. I am currently living in the UK. I must provide a Police Clearance Certificate from Thailand.

I have a number of questions:

When I get my passport certified must I get every page certified with Thailand entries, or only the most recent one?

Do I need to did out old passports to get certified as well?

The form asks for old Work Permits, which were handed back to the relevant government department at the end of contracts? Do I still need to submit them?

Has anyone done this? How did you get on doing this? What sort of timescale would I be looking at? ie. how long to get the passport certified? How long to get the Police Clearance Certificate?

Any comments on when other members did this would be most welcome, however I am not in Thailand, so would like the point of view from getting this from living abroad.

Thanks very much

grant

No confusion, and no mysterious sub-plot I'm afraid.

A condition of the job is that I have a background check done. Usually this would be done by Disclosure Scotland, but that doesn't cover periods of time spent living abroad. My potential employer wants a background check from Thailand, so that if they are audited by the Care Commision then they have done all they can to ensure that they have not employed someone who should not be working with the relevant client group.

What a cynical lot...

Not so cynical....but when you throw out statements like "I must provide a Police Clearance Certificate from Thailand" in a "Visa and Migration to Other Countries" forum, it is not unreasonable for others to assume that UK Immigration is asking for this.

Hence the requests for more information, so that someone might provide an informed answer.

Had you clarified in your original post that the prospective employer is requiring the "Police Clearance Certificate", then this exchange would have been avoided.

In your original post you yourself said "...I fear this is very confusing".

If you are a UK citizen, then why would you need to show anything from another country.

Methinks we do not have the whole story here, or a confusion in terminology.

If you are a UK citizen, and have worked overseas, then, in order to work back in the UK, you need Police Clearance from the country you worked in . . . . simple. A number of my friends have had to do it.

Edited by grtaylor

Fair enough....so you are saying that this is a requirement of the UK Government, and not the prospective employer?

Technically, it is a requirement of the Scottish government, with regards to care that falls under the jurisdiction of Scotland and I don't know anything about the legislation that would cover England and Wales.

Sorry if I had came across as aggresive, I didn't mean that :o

No worries mate.

But, in this forum, it is safe to assume that a large share of the readers/participants will be expats from Western countries. Having been born and raised in countries where the largest component of the cost of almost everything is the labor, we have been conditioned to at least attempt to work in an efficient manner. So we tend to get a bit irritated when someone asks for help, but we have to dig for the relevant information.

I think most here will help if they can. Providing the needed data will enable people to give you more accurate advice.

• 5 months later...

I have applied for a position in an Australian Government Department, I will be returning there within next three weeks.  They have requested a Police Clearance from Thailand as I have been here for approximately two years.  Can anyone assist on how to obtain this in Bangkok? Cost? Website? Documents required?

Many thanks

Ok, my husband (thai national living in UK) works at a private school & needed a police clearance certificate.

he emailled copies of his thai passport & id card to his brother who went to the police HQ in BKK, they ran a check & produced a clearance certifiate.

Not sure if you have anyone in Thailand to do the calling & running around for you but this was the quickest way to get it done woudl be to geta thai person to call the HQ & clairfy all your points.

Good Luck