Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Yes, great to get over the line, a few ropey performances along the way. Tactically, Janko was a disaster, should have been hooked at half time, cannot understand why he started in the first place, surly Lusting at Full Back and either Erik or O'C beside Toure.

I really expected Celtic to pick them off on the break but never happened.

Talk of Bastian being signed, also talk of a permanent move for Roberts.

Sinclair continues to impress.

I travelled overnight from LHR. I knew we were down 2-0 early in the 2nd as I was boarding and I was sure we were about to blow it again. Huge feeling of relief when I got the final score from someone with an Internet connection on board.

Having read a few reports it must have been torture to watch it live. More dreadful defending it would seem. Janko seems to have been a disaster and Gordon again poor. Not one of Brendan's more inspired selections.

in the words of Wellington a pretty damn close run thing.

15 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Gird thy loins.

He's not a farrikin Engrish knight....Celtic will just try to smash you up jellybean...deny your midfield space and take their few chances...mind you with your defence well....lol

21 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

He's not a farrikin Engrish knight....Celtic will just try to smash you up jellybean...deny your midfield space and take their few chances...mind you with your defence well....lol

We'll stuff their bagpipes with pound notes and traffic their favorite sheep to Normandy.

3 minutes ago, jellydog said:

We'll stuff their bagpipes with pound notes and traffic their favorite sheep to Normandy.

Please come over for the game...I'm only half a mile from Parkhead....I'll take you on a tour of the East End pubs....you might end up in a state of advanced merriment!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smokie36 said:

Please come over for the game...I'm only half a mile from Parkhead....I'll take you on a tour of the East End pubs....you might end up in a state of advanced merriment!

Will consider. I'll keep an eye out for the schedule. One less sheep trafficked.:lol:

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:07 AM, smokie36 said:

Half a mile from Parkhead...the Clyde's looking particularly lovely from your hammock. 

Celtic moved to the top of the table with a 4-1 win over Aberdeen. The main prematch topic was  De Vries starting in goal . He had no chance with the Don's goal and had a fairly quiet time otherwise. He gave the ball away just before half time and was grateful to Toure for saving his blushes.

After Rogic hit the bar early on Griffiths put Celtic ahead with a great strike which went in off the inside of the post. Aberdeen grabbed an equalizer when Rooney reacted far quicker to the situation after a Toure block to fire across goal and in. Forrest set up by Rogic put Celtic ahead before half time with a excellent finish with the outside of his right foot.

With a decent supply you felt Celtic could add a few more but they were pushed back by Aberdeen for long periods. Dembele and Roberts came on for the goalscorers . With 6 minutes to go Sinclair was fouled in the box and Reynolds on a yellow was sent off. It looked fairly harsh. Sinclair scored comfortably and when he dummied to take a free kick Rogic curled a beauty into the corner to give Celtic a 3goal margin which flattered them.

Agree it was a soft penalty. Controlled first half well but lost our shape in the second half.

Johansen off to Fulham, reports of over 2 million fee, bit of a one season wonder and heading into final year of contract, so a good bit of business all round, seemed his heart was not in it anymore.

So on the money in side, Johansen, Richards & sell on from Wanyama, should have paid for Sinclair & Dembele. So I suspect we are at break even status. Therefore, now with Champions League money, there should be enough to bring in a few quality-Sinclair type/standard players.

Not impressed by new keeper, overall distribution was poor. What  is worrying, heading into Champions league, not sure what is best option with keeper, unless BR just wants to give CG a boot up the hole. He has big game experience in Europe, has saved us many times over the past few seasons, so I would stick with him. To pluck a guy from Forest and chuck him against the big guns, lots of risk.

Right back continues to be a problem area, Lustig is best option but too many times he looses his man at the back post, also gave away possession a lot. Is a good squad player but I feel it is an area we need to improve, what about Patterson from Hearts, seems to be attracting interest from England?

Centre half we seem well covered, am so impressed with Eric the Dane, looks so composed & reads the game well. Also have Jozo to come back, so plenty of quality options.

Midfield, Brown needs help. Bitton is poor in the tackle, he does bring composure, I reckon we need a Wanyama type, to protect back 4. Rogic put in a good shift & was rewarded with a goal, always looks like he will score goals.

Up front Griffiths is so dependable, Dembele seems to be still finding his feet, needs time as he is young, just think he needs a few goals to kick start, although he seems easily bullied off the ball.

Good options on the right with Roberts back to challenge Forest, both just need to understand defensive/tracking back duties and I think we will be in good shape.

On the left, Sinclair & Tierney work hard & so well.

So, for me, a right back & that marquee midfielder, will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days on the transfer front.

• 2 weeks later...

A very comfortable 5-1 win in the end in the Glasgow derby. Not so rosy looking at HT with a narrow 2-1 lead. From about midway through the first half Celtic began to force the pace and Dembele headed in a corner after 33 minutes. When he added another in 42 minutes taking advantage of Senderos selling himself to clip in a 2nd . But The Rangers got one back just before half time. Lustig caught ball watching at the far post Miller nodded across and Garner headed home.

The cruical goal came in the 61st minute when Dembele set up Sinclair with a neat through ball and although Foderingham got a hand to it  the ball went in off the inside of the post. Brendan seemed to think so as he high fived a few supporters. Senderos was sent off in the 75th minute for a deliberate handball  having already been booked. Celtic took full advantage  and Dembele completed his hat trick when he drove the ball across goal and in for the 4th. Armstrong on as a sub made it 5 in the dying seconds from close in.

No prizes for guessing who man of the match was. If Griffith and himself can work in tandem we will have  devasting fire power. Very satisfactory to continue the 100 % record.

• Like 2

Great victory for Celts, Dembele finally delivers, should see him kick on now, gave that turkey Senderos the run around. Barton was right, Brown is not in his league.....and he proved it. <deleted>, did he think for one moment that he was going to get at Brown with crap like that, Brown has been around the block.

I wish Roberts would go on the outside from time to time, always seems to want to cut back inside.

So we head off to Spain in good spirits, 25/1 with the bookies, worth a punt.

Suspect BR will start the same team.

• Like 1

With MSN all starting it was obvious there would be trouble ahead and so it proved. They helped themselves to 6 of the 7. Ironically the other by Iniesta was the goal of the night.

Celtic were outclassed and overwhelmed. Barca were miles quicker in speed and thought and ability. The result was hardly a surprise but it would have been nice to have made a better fist of it. 

Not that it would have made any  difference but we had a chance to level at 1-1 but our hero of Saturday took a poor penalty .  Sinclair our best player put Dembele through and he was taken by Ter Stegen. The German made a comfortable save from the award.

I suspect we will have to take a few more on the chin but hopefully with less force than this one.

• Like 1

Celtic lost their 100% record when they were held to a draw by Inverness. It could well have been a loss. When McGregor was robbed in midfield Draper had a clear run on goal. Sviatchenko challenged him on the edge of the area. It looked a definite foul but the referee waved on play when their was a case for a possible penalty and a red card. Celtic were very fortunate to escape censure. Before that Celtic had gone ahead when a trademark Tierney run and cross was turned in by Rogic. Caley equalized when King cut in and unleashed a terrific shot which beat de Vries. He got a hand to it but was unable to keep it out. Their appears to be a growing opinion that he is not an improvement on Gordon.

Celtic went back in front before half time. Sinclair seized on a mistake raced goalwards and measured his shot superbly into the corner to continue his run of League goals.

In the 2nd half the Caley goalie made some excellent saves and Celtic hit the bar a few times. But Caley rallied and grabbed a draw when Fisher headed in the closing minutes. Simunovic made his first appearance for a long time when he came on in the closing stages.

While we still have formidable firepower the defence continues to be a concern. At this stage points dropped here or there

should not be a calamity but it could cost us in a cup game as we have seen so often before.