Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

On 2017-5-28 at 10:52 PM, RonniePickering22 said:

I sigh with disbelief at the mediocrity of it all.

Cheer up . Celtic are improving and play an entertaining game , and the fans , well they're miles ahead of the lot that showed up in HK last week to support Spurs.  The Kitchee fans stole the show.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, onionluke said:

Cheer up . Celtic are improving and play an entertaining game , and the fans , well they're miles ahead of the lot that showed up in HK last week to support Spurs.  The Kitchee fans stole the show.  

I wasn't referring to Celtic.

By my reckoning, that's 6 so far off the payroll, Izzy, Toure, Commons, Ambrose, O'Connell and Roberts. Hard to figure as to how much thes guys were on but a ballpark estimate, I would say 15K a week averages, so that's approx. 90K a week freed up. There are a few more I would like to see go.  

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming Linfield get through Ist leg against Celtic will be on Friday 14th at Windsor Park.

League fixtures released today. We begin with home game against Hearts 1st weekend August. It will be September before we meet Aberdeen our closest challengers last season.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Emilio got another year, I thought he was gone, Janko is gone to France and Christi & Allen out on loan. I think goalie Bailiey is also gone???  Would be good to shift Ciftci & GMS also.

Hayes is a good buy-best player in Scotland outside Celtic. Don't know much about the new guy from Ipswich, apparently a box to box midfielder, possibly one for the future. Not heard much about Eboue, would be expecting him to be having an impact after that price tag.

Boyata out for a few months, don't think we should panic buy, after all we have Eric the Dane and Lustig who can cover and the boy Ajer, who was outstanding last season with Killi on loan. 

5 hours ago, hackjam said:

and the boy Ajer, who was outstanding last season with Killi on loan. 

People back in my native Norway have high hopes for this kid ,  but not sure he will stay in Scotland. I think other clubs are looking. 

Yes, boy has potential, would like to see him given a chance, perhaps League cup games. I see we have taken kid from Chelsea on a trial, he is also a center half. 

Looks like GMS is off to Aberdeen and we have another midfielder on the way from Man City, Olivier French guy, 4m must be good.

I wonder does the recent signings of midfielders signal the end for Armstrong. Word is that he is asking too much for new contract.

Still holding out slight hope for Roberts-what a lift that would be.

Overall, looks like we are in good shape, I keep harping on about a quality right or wing back, that's the only position I feel we could improve.

Edited by hackjam
  • Like 1

Confirmed signing of Olivier announced today, so that's 3 quality signings so far-Olivier, Hayes & Benya from Ipswich.

So 3 in and  6 out-Janko Toure, Commons, Ambrose, O'Connell and Roberts, along with Christie & Allen on loan, hopefully GMS soon.

• Like 1

The competition for midfield places looks like it's going to be cut throat . One wonders have Celtic lost patience with Armstrong. Kouassi will find it difficult to get any meaningful game time and as for Biton he will hardly get a look in. 

We we should have a pretty formidable line up for CL qualifiers and when you consider how tight the 3rd and final rounds were last year we will need them all.

Yes the Norwegian champions Rosenborg (not Rosenberg) will soon be ready to meet Celtic , that will be interesting.  

Celtic will be clear favorites of course but Rosenborg been doing well in Europe in the past . 

After our 2-0 win last night we look strong favourites to make it through against probably Rosenborg ( apologies balo:passifier:). I do not see Dundalk coming through. 2 of their best players from last year's heroics left for Preston NE and domestically they are well behind in the Title Race. 2 early goals did the trick for the Bhoys. Sinclair close range header deflecting off the back of a Linfield defender. Unlikely to be goal of the season. Rogic nice goal peeling away at a corner and smooth cushioned finish.

Celtic as expected well on top and Linfield had nearly all back defending. Carroll in the home goal made a series of excellent saves to keep the score down. Celtic found it difficult to create good openings against a packed defense, and showed sighs of not being fully up to speed. It emphasized what a loss Paddy Roberts will be although gossip has it we are not without some hope of a return.. I liked Hayes when he came on. His pace will be of great benefit over the season. Dembele did well also when he came on. In defence Big Eric's lack of pace worries me. It would be nice to see big Ajer get a run next week.

The main talking point will be the barrage of missiles thrown at Griffiths in particular when he was attempting to take a corner kick. What on earth was the ref doing booking him? Linfield will not thank those cretins as it is likely to cost them a hefty fine.

• Like 2

Yes, Eric the Dane is a worry, I had high hopes for him when he first rocked up, but now, looks clumsy-and that's against part time opposition. That big guy from QPR would be worth a punt, reckon BR could bring out the best in him. Was well impressed with Aussie Tom, he will be ahead fitness wise, as he never had any time off. Totally agree about PR, will be sorely missed. Still holding out hope....... Reckon Hayes is a better option than Forrest.

Just a pity Dundalk are in a poor position going away from home, would have been a mouthwatering tie, especially the away leg, don't hold out much hope for them.

That Ref was a total disgrace-booking LG-imagine if that bottle had hit him??? And that tackle on SA near the end.

• Like 1

Followed the Dundalk game on streaming. They took Rosenberg to extra time. Under severe pressure and hoping they could get to penalties but they looked knackered and eventually succumbed. 

Only saw 2nd half of the Celtic game. Well in control and Carroll had another excellent game. Looked again like Celtic were trying to walk it in and kept taking far too many touches against a packed defence. As we hopefully progress more ruthlessness will be needed in the final 3rd and in front of goal.

• Like 1

". . . an undisturbed night's sleep . . . "

With my three? You're having a laugh, ain't you?

Anyway, when will the Rosenborg game be played?

And is it at home or away?

(Sorry to disturb your paddling with all these questions, Salty old son)