Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Awesome second half display yesterday, when backs against the wall.

The Dane was a huge loss-not sure why, maybe injured, so without him, KT  & SS, along with the option of LG-sick again??? was a weakened team.

Got off to a poor start, Dembele again looked not sharp, and we had some good possession and some crisp passing, found ourselves 2 down before H/T.

BR was brave when things were not going to plan, Izzey got hooked after half an hour-and rightly so-he was getting caught out of position and his final ball was poor and we went to 3 at the back. Tore again got exposed for the goals-no spring, looked a bit rusty. I still thing, with the continued absence of Tierney,  a back 3 is our best option. And what a difference McGregor made. Our midfield was outstanding-that Diamond type formation with Brown holding, flanked by McGregor & Armstrong, and Aussie Tom in a forward role-both him and a totally rejuvenated Armstrong were outstanding. Forrest & Roberts both put in decent shifts and kept plugging away.

Edited by hackjam

Man City up tonight, being billed as a dead rubber by most pundits but, from a Celtic point, I believe they will be right up for this one.  Reckon City will rest big guns. There is also a financial incentive for every point gained, so I believe, not that City will be interested, given their financial clout. Also, a win on the road in CL would be a notch in the belt, don't think we have ever won on the road in CL group stages.

Will be interesting to see what formation will start, especially with both Tierney & Sinclair out. Looks like LG & the Dane will be back.

Interesting story surfaced yesterday about potential move for Jordan Rhodes, although Boro are saying they want to recoup most of the reported 9M they shelled out at the end of last season. At 26, his best years are right now, I for one, would think he would be a great signing, especially with the impending departure of Dembele. 

Celtic completed their CL campaign with a well deserved draw at the Ethihad. Roberts struck early against his parent club with a trademark shuffle inside and shot past Caballero for a well taken goal. The lead only lasted 4 minutes as Iheanacho raced on to a pass from Gundogan to fire past Gordon for 1-1. Neither team will be happy with the defending for either goal. The Nigerian fired wide when well placed soon after. At the other end Dembele forced Caballero into a block and from a tight angle made a hash of a good chance to fire tamely wide. Celtic were showing plenty of fight and should have had a penalty when Roberts was pulled back in the area. But as so often happens in Europe the linesman bottled it and Lustig was booked for protesting.

Celtic had an escape early in the 2nd half when Nolito had a goal ruled out for offside when he was inches offside. But Celtic had the better chances. In both cases it was subs. Griffiths on for Dembele shot wide from a good position when well placed in front of goal and

Mackay-Steven showed good anticipation was in on Caballero but delayed and the keeper was able to block his shot. City had a free kick narrowly wide and appealed for a penalty against Simonovic which would have been very harsh.

Celtic were well worth their point to finish the campaign with 3 points. Considering our poor away record 2 away points was a excellent return from an extremely tough group. To date our only away win has been in Moscow in 2012/13 together with a small number of draws over the years.

. Hopefully our exploits this season will enable us to improve on this record in the years ahead.

So ends our CL adventure, some very positive performances, some negative also-that thumping in Spain and the failure at home to the Germans.

Looks like Forrest will miss a few games, no big deal but with Sinclair still a few weeks away, will disrupt the team a wee bit-however this should open a window of opportunity for GMS, another who seems to have lost his way, just no opportunities for him with so much quality ahead of him. Still, if he gets a run, does well, then he may get a run and we will not have to rush back injured players. BR has certainly worked wonders so far with so many players that looked to be heading out the door-Forrest, Armstrong etc. So lets hope same can happen for GMS. As the season progresses, the quality of the squad will become more apparent, when injuries and suspensions kick in and also fatigue, some players-like Lustig- have played non stop for a long time. Brown will get a well earned breather for the Dundee game, will be interesting to see who fills them big boots-Bitton?

Comfortable 4-1 win last night. Good to see Griffiths back among the goals and 2 assists for Armstrong. Roberts and Mackay-Steven both poor I thought. Defense poor for both free kicks. Gordon still a concern when he comes out of the area. Got away with it again last night. An error of a similar nature in a cup game could cost us.

So another one goal victory, again seem not to be able to kill off games, despite having chances, guess its sign of a good side that we can get ahead & grind out the win. In fairness, tam has been disrupted with all the changes. Great to see kid getting a chance at left back, also good to see Sinclair beck-getting into good positions too.

Gordons game has evolved dramatically over the past few game, his footwork, positioning & distribution have been exceptional-maybe Pep will put in a bid.

Interesting to read speculation that BR is not interested in Snodgrass, I would have reckoned he would have been the type of signing that would have been in line with improving quality, but maybe does not fit into managers style. At 29, he is at the top of his game, scores regularly too. Only thing I can think is that Roberts may be staying permanently.

Will be an interesting transfer window, I guess we will see a lot of the fringe players shipped out. For me, as I said before, a quality, dynamic right back would be a welcome addition.

Brendan seems very keen to get quality players in now to bed them in for CL qualifiers next season. At present the American guy is the name being bandied about but no doubt there will be other names in the frame as January progresses.

Meanwhile we continue to tighten out grip on the pennant and   hopefully we will be more ruthless in front of goal in the remaining games before the break.

Another 3 points in horrible conditions at LEGOLAND, despite loosing C.McG to a very harsh second booking from Willie the card Collum.

There were more away fans there than home fans, Celtic found it difficult to get to grips with conditions in the first half but LG bailed us out with a great finish. He was replaced by Dembele at HT, picked up a knock. After the sending off, Armstrong scored a screamer after being set up by Dembele,. Hamilton just did not know how to deal with their extra man, they did have a few chances but Gordon earned his corn with 2 fine saves. Dembele finished easily after good work by Forrest.

Gamboa had his best game in a Celtic shirt, McGregor picked out some delightful passes before early bath.

All in all, a solid performance. Next up Ross County.

The Bhoys gave us a warm glow today for Christmas with a well deserved win. 2 excellent goals by Griffith and particularly Armstrong and a 3rd from Dembele. 52 points from 18games so we will be going for 55 on Wednesday night.

That's another 3 points in the bag, just Old Firm derby before winter break. Hopefully Rogic will be fit but if not, guess McGregor will start.

Pretty much a solid team performance, with a rare start for Christie in the advanced Rogic role, showed lots of appetite but things did not come off for him.

We did look tired in the last 10min, tired tackling and passing but to be expected.

Big decision as to whether Dembele or Griffiths starts on Saturday, nice luxury to have. 

1-2 in the end, a commanding second half performance, upped the ante and Rangers had chances in the second half, despite being played off the park. Lustig never got a grip of McKay and Eric had a few nervy moments.

Forrest had one of those games-nothing came off for him and what a difference Roberts made. Armstrong again outstanding, Brown typical enforcer, seemed to glide through games, Sinclair got MOM and deserved it, never gave up trying.

What a month, full points in the bag and seems minimum disruption when missing star players-KT & TR missing today. Both will make a difference when season restarts.

So a well deserved break for all-will be interesting to see who comes and goes.

Another win over The Rangers but unlike the other wins many anxious moments in this encounter. Celtic were lethargic for the first twenty minutes and the defence were enduring a torrid time with McKay in particular creating many dangerous situations.Both Lustic and Sviatchenko were really struggling and it was poor play from the big centre back that led to The Rangers Lead goal. Tavanier was set up availed of Izaguirre's slow reaction and centred for Miller to bundle it home. Celtic were struggling and only a few good runs by Sinclair were offering hope. He was incorrectly flagged for offside twice but when he was onside he went on to hit the post. Salvation was at hand  from the resultant corner with Dembele controlling and then volleying a terrific goal into the roof of the net. I was mightily relieved to see us level at HT.

Having got back into it a different Celtic began the 2nd half. Dembele scuffed a good chance and hit the bar . It was mostly Celtic now but they continued to carry a threat. Thankfully McKay was seeing less of the ball. Gordon saved well from Wilson after a corner. Just after Roberts  replaced an ineffective Forrest he spotted Armstrong's run and his cross to the far post was bundled in by Sinclair with 20 minutes to go. It was a carbon copy of The Rangers goal and they will point the finger at Tavanier for not spotting the danger. Celtic were now well in control but Fodringham made several good saves as we looked for the insurance goal. Instead we had to endure more anxiety as Miller hit the post and Sviatachenko cleared from Forrester who failed to

pass to Dodoo who was clear and in on Gordon. Dembele showed his strength in the closing minutes by retaining possession and winning free kicks and corners to wind

the clock down.

So the Celts are off to The Middle East to recharge the batteries for the 2nd half of the season and more success on the resumption in 3 weeks time with the table making terrific reading.

• Like 1

So looks like BR has settled on a first choice starting 11

The starting 11 against Rangers, with KT and TR in for E.I and C.McG-and hard to argue, all have proved they can perform within his system.

Maybe sometimes see Griffiths instead of MD and also Roberts may sometimes start instead of JF, great options to have. Christie may see more game time alternating with TR. He has potential, once he finds a bit of composure.

One wonders what's going to happen with Roberts at end of season, cant see him getting a look in at City, at the same time, reckon City would want a sizable chunk of coin for him. I hope we can secure him permanently but difficult to see BR shelling out 5million plus for a squad player. And also he may fancy a shot at EPL, am sure there would be no shortage of takers.

The title is in the bag and we are out of Europe. So who will leave? Here is how I see it.

De Veris, Logan B installs more confidence with me.

Izaguirre too,  and even if KT is out again, surely some kid can step up.

Gamboa also, just average.

Boyata and Ambrose wont get a look in, Toure and O'Connell ahead. Lustig is comfortable there too. I guess Toure could also go, as he will be away at the end of the season anyway and his job is done, in so far as he brought stability to a shaky defiance, although word is he has a big influence on the training ground, so he may stay till end of season.

Commons to stay at Hibs, Ciffic if anyone will have him. GMS too.

That's 9 players, reckon that's half a million in wages a month, could be offset against a small few better quality propositions.

What a job BR has done in getting some players to perform to their full potential, SB, SA & JF have been totally transformed and its like 3 new signings.

Armstrong would be player of the year right now, closely followed by Sinclair & Brown.

Just my tuppence worth. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back after the break and as expected a comfortable Cup win in the end over Albion Rovers. Sinclair's superb opener was all we had to show for incessant pressure until the closing stages. Roberts on a sub made goals for Dembele and Armstrong.

Good to see KT back in action. Very surprising to see a start for Boyata. No pressure on him yesterday but he has been prone to error in the past and he does not make for relaxing viewing.

Next round at home to Inverness Caley. Uh Uh. 

A comfortable win against poor opposition, on the dreaded plastic pitch.

Our goals came from KT on left wing and PR on right wing, he made a hell of a difference when introduced. Hard to judge DB as the back line not tested, Gamboa had lots of the ball but produced nothing positive, just the predictable pass each time, same as Biton. Brown again immense, SA lots of enterprise and great to have the dynamics of KT back, brought out the best in Sinclair.

Next up the Saints tomorrow night, wonder if it will be on any TV channels? Should be Brown's 400 game, great going, lets hope there is another few seasons in him. Maybe the new signing may be a long term replacement but looks more like a develop/sell on type signing. 

Comfortable win in the end against Jambos, as we were without MD, LG. TR and Armstrong-4 goal scoring threats. 

Another outstanding display by KT. Sinclair showed his class, was a bit off the boil with set piece deliveries. Forrest seems to have gone off the boil, Roberts is a better option. Biton had a sound game, kept it neat & simple. Gamboa showed good enthusiasm but no penetration and gave away 3 free kicks in dangerous areas. Keeper made one smart save at 1-0,  McGregor is a good squad player and I am always happy to see him get a game-not sure about Henderson. Great to see young Jake get a run.

Another record bites the dust.

Not sure how  the keeper thing to pan out-a big decision for Craig to make. I hope he stays.

2 moments of inspiration from KT turned a nervy 1-0 into a comfortable 3-0. Sinclair although not always in the groove was the other outstanding player not surprisingly. Forrest poor and took far too many touches when he should have made it 2-0 early in the 2nd half/

Defensive wise Boyata was the better of the 2 centre backs apart from silly foul. Jozo looked lethargic at times and could have conceded a penalty. Gamboa inclined to give away stupid free kicks but otherwise fairly good. Gordon's distribution a bit iffy at times and I see gossip has Chelsea making an increased bid. I would hope he stays also as we may not get a decent goalie in his place.

Overall with several 1st team players missing very satisfactory and a new unbeaten domestic record set. Those of us old enough to remember the Lions ahem will be well aware that the opposition in those days were much superior. I doubt if the heroes of 66/67 will lose any sleep over it.

With transfer window about to close, all sorts of rumors flying about.

Dembel to Chelsea for 40m, yes by all means. At the end of the day, he will go and we don't need him for the rest of the season-cant see him being the difference between winning and not winning the cup.

Cant believe Moyes has the cheek to offer 10m for Tierney, he has just got 14m for an average left back who has reached his potential and has got 5 or 6 years left at the top. Tierney has 12 years left at the top and will develop further. Moyes, who said Celtic job was not big enough for him, enjoy your relegation battle and prepare for life in the Championship-recon he will be sacked soon anyway.