Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Yes, we are not in a good place right now-but not that bad either.

The whole Armstrong circus should have been sorted one way or another before pre season started. His head is not right, see how many misplaced pass he plays now.

Unlucky to loose 2 center half's with injury, and Toure retired, but now looks like he is going to run with Bitton-and I worry. Sometimes wonder what's the point in having young prospects like Ajer on the books and then not throwing him in when needed.

I do think Oliver will be a good acquisition, but remember he is young and will take time to get to grips with the Scottish game but there is no excuse for Hayes.

I reckon Aussie Tom will start against Astana, Bitton at the back, SB & Oliver, with Forrest, SS & LG in attack. McGregor is better coming off the bench with his direct running, especially when the game opens up.

Great result, some luck with some of the goals.

Griffiths and Brown outstanding. Oliver looks the part.

Great man management by BR bringing on SA, kind of saying to him "do you want to walk away from nights like this".

Deliveries from set pieces poor.

A staggering 5-0 win. The side that never looked like scoring against Rosenborg put 5 past Astana. Yes we got breaks for some of the goals. Sinclair back to form of last season. Up to 3rd goal I was cursing Griffith. Caught offside at least 3 times some dreadful set pieces and then he became inspired. Great  pass to Sinclair for no3 helped to set up Forrest and then his deflected 5th.

At HT I was thinking blow the final whistle we will take 2-0 anytime. Gordon had a clearance charged down early in the 2nd half but fortunately the ball went harmlessly well wide. That was really the only nervous moment from then on.  

Barring an absolute catastrophe  another Champions League campaign to look forward to.

Looks like Armstrong is finally going to sign a new contract. He has fallen down the pecking order this season and is now well behind the man who is short a vowel. If we could get Paddy we will be pretty formidable in CL.

The competition for places will be cut throat but Brendan is excellent at fostering espirit de corp.

Manager made lots of changes, bringing some young lads. Always nervy at 1-0, eventually got the comfortable second, both goals made by Aussie Tom. Miller was the best of the young lads, Benyu showed some nice touches, got potential. I do like the look of Ajer at the back. Ralston looked nervous but seemed to settle when moved to left back late on. Great finish by McGregor, who is still struggling for form, also good finish by Forrest, who is on a good run of form. Aussie Tom just oozes class, Brown was his usual enforcer self, saw a lot of the ball, everything seems to go through him. Between Tom and Miller for Man of the match.

Shocking pitch made for an eminently forgettable game. Job done and another 3 points obtained. 

2 flashes from Big Tom made the 2 goals. Nice finish from Forrest who is really in the groove at present. Never looked in any great danger but as we know a one goal advantage can be wiped out in seconds. Second goal very welcome.

Good to see some of the youngsters get an outing. With European games coming up likely to see more of them from time at weekends. Big Ajer continues to impress. Miller looks very promising.

Edited by salty

Hope Killie get relegated - what a disaster that pitch is and a pathetic home crowd, looked like they had 500 fans there yesterday.

Great news PR is coming back, should prevent the need to sign another striker, as he has played upfront, as has James, Would have been good if we had signed him permanently but the loan deal is fine for now. His arrival will give great options for manager on that right flank, Forrest needs to kick on after a promising start and get into double goal figures for the first time ever, he is no longer the new kid on the block.

Not sure what's the score with Armstrong's new deal, looks like we will be in the same position at the end os the season-a year left on his contract and the circus will start over again.  He looked ordinary against Killi.

Armstrong has apparently one year left to complete his legal studies. I would not be surprised if Celtic were looking to sell him at the end of the season. Best case scenario would be for him to rediscover his best form and Celtic could flog him for good money.

Great to be getting Paddy back for another season.  Onwards to Astana and a relaxing evening (touch wood).

• Haha 1

I have high hopes for Ajer , nice to see he finally get to play some games for Celtic. Our national team Norway needs a good strong defender. He will only get better.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, balo said:

I have high hopes for Ajer , nice to see he finally get to play some games for Celtic. Our national team Norway needs a good strong defender. He will only get better.

Yes, hope he gets a decent run.

We got through comfortably in the end as expected but came out for the 2nd half in a coma. One was extremely thankful for the smashing goal by Sinclair to equalise at 1-1. Without it we would have been really sweating. Ajer unfortunate with 1st goal . This time the break went against us.

2 early Astana goals in the 2nd half. Brown gave the ball away carelessly and then put defence under pressure with backward header. I thought Gordon was poor for the goal. Within a minute Bitton ball watching for a centre and free header for 3-1. Celtic then got the finger out and began to play. Griffiths missed a great chance and straight away Astana in again. Bitton left for dead and Gordon dreadful . Astana pouring forward and had a few chances but we survived. With 10 minutes to go Ntcham the man of the match by miles closed the door which was slightly ajar to make it 4-2. Griffiths in the 90th made it a more respectable 4-3 on the night with a good finish.

Comfortable in the end but if we defend like this against the big boys we will be slaughtered.

Shambolic defending in the second half, all over the shop, Bitton got found out and should not be played there again. A big worry for me was so many players crumbled/hid when they came at us. What a risk to use up all 3 subs with 25min left on the clock, imagine if Gordon got injured or sent off?  Showed poor decision making also when in on goal, when a square pass would have been a better option that wild shooting. A bit of a wake up call for all.

Anyway, got there eventually, for the first time saw the qualities of Oliver going forward.

Lets hope Liverpool get humped tomorrow night and we then go into 3rd pot. 

2 points dropped, looked a bit flat. Saints were gifted a goal by Gordon.

Right back Railston poor, as was Forrest, no dynamics down right, surely SA or McG an option at Right back if Lustig is needed at center back?

Unlucky in the second half, their keeper made some fine stops, especially header from JH and woodwork saved them a few times. Totally got nothing off Willie the card. He should have sent off the guy for punching KT. SS skinned his man everytime. On any other day, we would have got the winner, created enough chances.

See the kid from Africa wont be coming-failed medical.

It has not been a good week for Gordon. Poor in Astana on no 4 I felt he made it easy for the guy who got the 2 nd goal.

Yesterday he gave a hospital pass to Ralston and when he got it should just have cleared it. Keeping possession is good but not playing silly buggers with forwards lurking.

For a long time it looked like the end of our unbeaten run until McGragor saved the day. A very stubborn Saints made life difficult so in the end you had to feel 1-1 wasn't great but a hell of a lot better than 0-1. 

Good news indeed, would have been great to get him permanent, as we will have same circus at the end of the season, never know, maybe they have struck a deal already-hope so. What this does is give great options Sinclair and Roberts both covered by Forrest, Benyu & Hayes. He can also play up front, although I still think that we should buy a striker to bed in for the eventual departure of Dembele. We do seem strong in midfield, guess SB, Oliver and TR would be preferred starters, with Armstrong, CMcG, Bitton, Kouassi other options. 

Looks like BR is going to blood Ralston and hopefully Miller this season.

Center back is a concern, because of the injuries to Eric & DB, not how lone more both are out for.

• 2 weeks later...

Back after the International break and the Bhoys were back in good form with a very comfortable 4-1 win at Hamilton. Not a coincidence that Paddy was in the line up and looked like he had never been away. McGregor was back in good form and  he got the opening goal low into the far corner. Sinclair also looked in good form and added 2 and 3. Edouard the PSG loan player looked very lively although not always taking the right option. He got the fourth taking a return from Roberts after he burst through. All in all a very satisfactory outing for the Bhoys.

The only downsides were Brown showing his stupidity again with a needless cynical foul. He was not booked but on several replays he may have been lucky not to have been sent off. Gordon was poor for Hamilton's late consolation charging from his line from a corner and being outjumped for the ball. Defensively I would worry about Tuesday. Jozo looked slow at times and I fear Bitton will join him in the middle.

FWIW PSG won 5-1 away to Metz tonight though Metz had a player sent off early in the 2nd half when it was 1-1.

Edited by salty

Yes indeed, a comfortable workout ahead of PSG. SS & PR were outstanding. New guy took a while to get going but in fairness to the kid, must be satisfied with debut, he looks like he has potential, will take a while to get used to SPL,  new teammates, lego pitch etc. The goal will do a lot for his confidence, should make the bench for PSG game.

Looks like BR will start with a back 4 against PSG, with Bitton included, and it is a worry. While we are healthy in midfield options and also upfront, we are thin on the ground at the back. Guess its a toss up between TR,SA & C.McG for a midfield berth, alongside SB & Oliver.

I know I keep harping on about corner kicks, we must have had a dozen last night and never once looked like making keeper work. Hayes too is testing my patience, was happy to hear rumors of interest from Cardiff.