Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Not really a surprise, but a nice start to the day.

A week of interesting stories so far.

So Lennon is in the hot seat for now.

Who's the replacement do we think?

I like the Willie McStay idea. He's done well

with the youth academy and he once bought

a Barratt house from my Grampa, so he's

okay in my book.

Not really a surprise, but a nice start to the day.

A week of interesting stories so far.

So Lennon is in the hot seat for now.

Who's the replacement do we think?

I like the Willie McStay idea. He's done well

with the youth academy and he once bought

a Barratt house from my Grampa, so he's

okay in my book.

McStay is a good coach but I would question his transfer nous if he's been investing in Barratt houses. :)

Johan Mjallby (remember him?) has just flown

in to Glasgow Airport according to my spies.

Could this be the saviour? Or maybe he's taking

Mowbray out for a drink to drown his sorrows!

From the Daily record.

I can't believe I've beaten Henrik Larsson back to Celtic, says new caretaker assistant Johan Mjallby

Mar 26 2010 By Craig Swan

JOHAN MJALLBY spent a chunk of yesterday morning discussing Celtic's calamitous list of problems with his pal Henrik Larsson.

A few hours later, he was heading to Glasgow's East End to join Neil Lennon in attempting to solve them.

Mjallby was struck by shock when his mobile phone rang mid-afternoon in Stockholm and the name 'Lenny' showed up on the screen.

Within seconds his former colleague had explained the demise of Tony Mowbray and his own elevation to the position of caretaker boss.

ThenhesprangthequestionofMjallby walking back into the front door of Parkhead as his assistant.

Mjallby took one second to say yes.

It was an astonishing turn of events for the Swede on the day Mowbray's miserable 10 months in Glasgow's East End finished. On the back of Wednesday's disastrous and embarrassing 4-0 defeat at St Mirren the game was up for Mowbray and he was out.

Mjallby and Larsson were horrified when discussing the events over their morning coffees and the popular ex-defender laughs at the thought of beating The Magnificent Seven back to Paradise.

He said: "I spoke to Henrik in the morning and that was before I even knew Tony Mowbray was getting the sack. We always call each other to talk about Celtic.

Great

"Whenever the team has a bad result we always phone and talk about it because Celtic was such a big part of our lives and our careers.

"We both had great times in Glasgow and both love the club. He beat me in terms of becoming a manager because I am only coming back as assistant, but I have still beaten him back to Celtic! It was so fast. I found out late afternoon and it was a case of getting a bag packed, saying goodbye to the family and jumping on a plane. It was Lenny whophonedmeandittookmeaboutasecond to say yes.

"To be fair he didn't give me much choice! But when I knew he was calling I was excited because I wondered if something might be happening.

"I had read some things on the internet in the morning that there might be changes, but I'm still a little bit in shock.

"It is something that is really good for Neil on the management side and I'm delighted to be coming back to Scotland to assist him.

"It was an easy decision to say yes. It was nice that the supporters held me in good regard when I played but I have always loved the club because they have been so helpful to me.

"When I joined Celtic, when I was there playingandevenafterIleft,everyonewasnice to me. That is why this was an easy decision.

"Two clubs have always been in my heart, AIK Stockholm and Celtic and it is wonderful to be coming back."

Mjallby will walk into Lennoxtown this morning to meet a bunch of players who have been left bedraggled by the mismanagement of Mowbray.

The former West Brom manager ripped apart a squad that had lifted the SPL crown under Gordon Strachan and his replacements have been unable to hit the ground running.

Mowbray presided over 13 defeats as boss and had the worst winning percentage of any recent Parkhead manager.

Nightmare

Miles behind Rangers in the title race and justtheScottishCuptoplayforwiththeseason only in March is unacceptable for the fans and they displayed their disgust in the wake of the shameful capitulation in Paisley.

Mjallby knows the situation is a nightmare for the Hoops fans and says he and Lennon will immediately set about restoring credibility.

He said: "I know there have been some hard times for Celtic and the fans in the past couple of months. Hopefully, for one thing, we can restore a bit of pride.

"It's hard for me to get into how the team have been playing because I have not been there at close quarters. I've only managed to catch a few matches, but the results have not been what the fans want. I know that much and we have to try to change it."

Tomorrow'sencounteragainstKilmarnock will pitch the pair right into the lions' den and Mjallby admits he can't wait.

The Swede is aware time is not something he and Lennon have at their disposal with the fans and players needing an instant pick me up.

Mjallby, however, feels Lennon has the experience to get it sorted quickly and he also has plans to get himself into the root of Celtic's problems immediately.

Under Martin O'Neill, Mjallby was a bedrock of the Celtic side that swept all before them domestically and reached the UEFA Cup Final in 2003.

Beside stalwarts such as Bobo Balde and Joos Valgaeren, the Scandinavian was an organiser and a massive defensive presence.

Losing four goals at places such as Aberdeen and St Mirren as well as three in 45 minutes at bottom club Falkirk were major factors in Mowbray's demise and Mjallby says he will be honing in on those frailties.

Youngsters such as Josh Thompson and Darren O'Dea were left cruelly exposed and destroyed in Paisley and Mjallby will start working on the nuts and bolts at Lennoxtown this morning.

He said: "In terms of tactics, we won't have much time before the end of the season because the guys have been used to playing under Tony Mowbray's influence.

"That will be more down to Lenny because he has been in and around the club during that time. He knows Celtic inside out.

"I will do everything I can to organise with him and help with things at the back.

"These players cannot become bad players overnight and you are not signed by Celtic if you do not have the quality."

As players, Mjallby and Lennon didn't mess around with small talk. The current squad have been assured that the fire still burns and Mjallby said: "The winning mentality and pride will be inside the players, it is just a case of us getting it out.

Simple, but a task which proved beyond Mowbray.

TALKING TONY

"Celtic have lost far too many games. I understand completely it was a season of change and the Celtic board bought into that. They were willing to give Tony a bit of money to change it around. But it hasn't worked. When you're so far behind Rangers it's embarrassing. To lose 4-0 to St Mirren is a humiliation. You saw the scarves thown on the pitch. That's a bad sign."

Andy Walker

This is a fine wee story. Football for the fans, nothing else. Just the fans.

What it's all about.

Highland clearance as Dingwall (pop: 5000) sends 8000 Ross County fans to Hampden for Scottish Cup

SCOTTISH Cup giant-killers Ross County will trigger a modern-day Highland clearance when they play Celtic in a dream semi-final at Hampden.

The club expect an 8000-strong army of fans to invade Glasgow for the game next month - 3000 more than the population of the team's home town, Dingwall.

Within minutes of their historic win against Hibs in Tuesday night's quarter-final, hundreds of supporters had booked transport to and accommodation in Glasgow.

Staggies manager Derek Adams said: "We've had sellout crowds of 6000 for our last two games and we're expecting to take 8000 down to Glasgow.

"We're looking forward to the game. It's a fantastic achievement for the club, but the players deserve it because they have been performing to such a high standard."

Former Ross County director Don Lawson said: "This is going to be the biggest movement of people since the Highland Clearances.

"No matter how many tickets we get for the game, we'll fill every seat, I guarantee you that.

"Dingwall is going to be left like a ghost town. The police up here will have to be on the lookout for burglars."

A winning start for Lenny and Big Mjallby. Saw the goals last night. Boruc did not look too clever with the Kilmarnock goal. We will just have to wait and see how things pan out. If (and its a big if) Celtic won the Cup it would hide a multitude of faults. As long as Robbie keeps scoring we have a chance. :)

Extraordinary result CB when you consider they hammered Hearts on Saturday at Tynecastle. Hardly a disaster when you are 10 points ahead and games in hand.

Mark Hughes: Is he interested I wonder? More likely to wait and see what the musical chairs throw up during the off season. On the face of it he would seem to be a good choice but you never know. On Irish TV channel last night in the aftermath of CL game in Munich they were hinting that Martin O'Neill was not too happy with Villa and that he might be interested in a 2nd spell. Rather fanciful I think.

Whoever has the reins next season will not have Robbie Keane. :)

Aye, right! I've enough on my plate thank you very much.

Here's a wee story from the View:

Johan Mjallby has revealed he had 60 seconds to decide whether he wanted to join Neil Lennon at Celtic.

The former Hoops defender was on his way to get a haircut last week when former team-mate Lennon called after being promoted to interim manager at Parkhead to ask if he would like to be his assistant.

Mjallby, who played for Celtic between 1998 and 2004, was forced into an immediate answer but was delighted to make his return to Glasgow the next day.

"It's brilliant to be here, of course," Mjallby told the Celtic View. "The Celtic supporters will always have a big place in my heart, so when Neil phoned me in the afternoon and told me I had one minute to decide it was quite simple to say yes, even if I didn't know much about what he wanted me to do.

"I packed my bags and organised my flights and now I'm here. Obviously, over the years I have met Neil at different functions and at different games here at Celtic Park and we have always talked about it.

"If he came across a job as manager, then he would ask me to go along with him and work with him. In the end it came out of the blue, but it was easy decision - should I go and get my hair cut or join Celtic?"

Another 3 points picked up today at Easter Road courtesy of a Robbie Keane penalty. It was hardly an inspired display but they were able to see it out. I can think of several games during the season where we would have been content with the same scenario. :)

Houston aiming to overtake Celtic

April 5, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Dundee United manager Peter Houston has not ruled out his side displacing Celtic into second place in the Scottish Premier League after their 1-0 win at St Johnston's on Monday night.

Peter Houston: 'Some of the decisions were crazy'

• St Johnstone 0-1 Dundee United

The Scottish Cup semi-finalists gave themselves the perfect lift ahead of Sunday's meeting against Raith Rovers at Hampden with a hard-fought Tayside derby victory at McDiarmid Park.

Jon Daly struck seven minutes from time with a powerful header as in-form United moved five points behind the Hoops.

United have seemingly tied up a Europa League place with eight points separating them from fourth-placed Hibernian and Houston admitted his ambitions to overtake the Glasgow giants.

"We are eight points clear (in third place) now. Yes, you look behind us, butyou also look forward as well," he said. "We'll have a wee pop at it, see what happens, take each game as it comes."

Daly was the goal hero but Tannadice goalkeeper Dusan Pernis also proved influential after the Slovak saved Liam Craig's 70th-minute penalty.

Saints were in command at that stage, but the visitors were lifted by Pernis' stop and netted the decisive goal to stretch their unbeaten run to eight games.

"I'm delighted with the three points. I knew it would be a hard-fought match," Houston added.

"I felt we coped quite well with what they had to throw at us. I thought defensively we were magnificent.

"We always thought St Johnstone would have a spell on top, it came in the second half, but our goalkeeper has given us a lift with the penalty save.

"We went up the park and put the ball in with a great goal from Jon Daly after the cross from Morgaro Gomis. I thought we merited the win."

The only downside for Houston was a calf injury to captain Andy Webster, who is now facing a race against time to be fit to face Rovers.

He added: "We have got a good squad of players, it might be tested to the full on Sunday as Webster might not be fit and we have got (Gary) Kenneth suspended. We'll monitor Andy over the next 48 hours."

Craig's first penalty miss of the season was costly for St Johnstone, who saw their top-six hopes dented.

Hearts, three points ahead of Saints, only need a point at home to Kilmarnock on Saturday to seal their place in the top half. Derek McInnes' men go to Aberdeen 24 hours later.

McInnes said: "When you lose so late in the game, it impacts on the disappointment even more.

"I didn't think there was much in the game. I thought they had the slightly better of the first half, we definitely had the better of the second half.

"I think the period of pressure that culminated in the penalty was our best spell in the game.

"They are a good side, are on a fantastic run, but we are not far away from them. We always felt maybe one goal would win it.

"Unfortunately, we missed our defining moment to take it and we've been punished at the other end.

"Liam has not been hung out to dry. We win together and lose together.

"Liam has done fantastic here and more often than not when he takes a penalty kick they go in the back of the net."

"Dundee United manager Peter Houston has not ruled out his side displacing Celtic into second place in the Scottish Premier League."

I think if Mowbray was still around then his dream may come true, but Lennon has released a new passion in our 'Tic.

If it turns out to be a Celtic Dundee Utd final we would have our hands full. :)

No need to worry about that now me ould salters.

Empty handed more like.

I think that may be a death blow for Lennon's chances. No bad thing as Celtic need somebody with experience.

But then again I support Liverpool as well, so what would I know.

I have to start by congratulating Ross County on a well deserved win. They were by far the better team and it would be churlish not to wish them well in the final.

As for Celtic they were dreadful. As in the vast majority of the season there was no teamwork, no control, no fighting spirit. If the Messiah came back to earth he would have his hands full with these collection of half wits. Any former Celt will be avoiding the Celtic job like the plague. About the only danger to RC was when Samaras hit the post via a defender. Not only have Celtic been dreadful but they are incredibly boring to watch.

CB, They are on again on Tuesday night against Motherwell. If you are suffering from insomnia turn on the TV. A few minutes of watching them should do the trick. I think I will give it a miss and go to a basket weaving class. :)

CELTIC 0-2 ROSS COUNTY

Lennon slams Celtic players for lack of ''bottle''

April 10, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

A furious Neil Lennon told his Celtic players some of their Parkhead careers were all but over after accusing them of showing no ''bottle, desire and hunger'' in the shock Scottish Cup semi-final defeat to Ross County.

GettyImages

Neil Lennon (L) attempts to change things around.

Caretaker manager Lennon read the riot act to his squad after locking them in the dressing room for 15 minutes following the 2-0 loss at Hampden, as the club's miserable season hit a new low.

The former Parkhead captain directed much of his ire at misfiring strikers Georgios Samaras and Marc-Antoine Fortune, who he claimed had failed to put their bodies on the line for the cause.

Revealing he was ''past angry'', Lennon - who was handed the reins following Tony Mowbray's sacking last month - said: ''Whether I'm here or not next season, I told them I'm pretty sure some of them won't be.

''People talk about Tony not instilling passion in the team. Those are things you can't give the players. You can get them motivated and they'll pull the wool over your eyes. There was only one team out there who wanted to win today, and that was Ross County. I'd like to congratulate them - they deserved it.''

Revealing his sentiments were echoed by one or two of his players, he added: ''Bottle, desire and hunger, you have to have that from a kid growing up. You have to love the game and want to play the game and want to win. We don't have enough winners.''

Lennon kept faith with the same outfield line-up from his first two games in charge.

''Half of them never turned up,'' he said, accusing Samaras and Fortune of being ''nowhere near consistent enough. I'm sick of seeing our players fall over.

''I'm sick of seeing strikers not want to go in where it hurts and score a goal for the team. We've gone out of every competition with an absolute whimper.''

He added: ''It's been a pretty shambolic season. Let's not mince our words here. We're 13-16 points behind Rangers, we've gone out of the quarter-finals of the League Cup, gone out of the semi-finals to a First Division team in the FA Cup.

''UEFA Cup (Europa League): couldn't even make it out of the group. You tell me, is that good enough for Celtic?''

Today's defeat was up there with the club's other shock cup exits over the past decade. Lennon, who does not believe his current squad have it in them to mend their ways, said: ''I warned them about Inverness, Clyde; I warned them about semi-finals.

''I told them to start the game quickly, earn the right to play, because I played in eight or nine semi-finals and not one of them was a cakewalk - not one of them did we play teams off the pitch.

''It was a fight and you have to earn the right to play. We go out and we think, 'It'll come to us'. Never forced a corner, never worked the goalkeeper. Sloppy, casual - I don't know if they were nervous. But you have to overcome all those things.

''You're playing for Celtic; there's huge expectation. Bottom line is, we're not good enough.''

0-0 after 45 minutes. Imola must

be having a wee giggle at this stage!

im as shocked as anyone else mate, but you got to congratulate ross,

at least hibs took them to a replay :)

some drastic changes needed at celtic,

So, we had the now famous, "super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious!"

Any ideas for this last upset? I think the tabloids will be going into overdrive with this one :)

Edited by carmine

So, we had the now famous, "super Caley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious!"

Any ideas for this last upset? I think the tabloids will be going into overdrive with this one :D

Its not surprising. The bookies had Celtic at ridiculous odds. If we had been facing Hibs it would have been seen as a difficult fixture. Those of us who are capable of rational thought were well aware that Ross County could not be taken lightly, and Celtic needed to have the right attitude and be focused on the game.

As for ideas the only one I have involves arse kicking literally. The Celtic job will now be seen as a poisoned chalice by any prospective manager. On that basis Neil Lennon might get the job. At least he does not indulge in horse manure in after match interviews. :)

As the basket weaving classes were cancelled I watched some of last night's game. Thanks to Skyplus I was able to watch Chelsea mainly as they stumbled to a fortunate 1-0 win over Bolton. I was also able to able to cast my eye over our heroes 2-1 win over Kilmarnock.

3 more points but it could hardly be descibed as reassuring. Only 28,000 at Parkhead and they watched a forgettable 1st half in which Killie had better chances. The rumbles of discontent increased early in the 2nd half, when Killie went ahead after a free kick which hit Kamara and dropped invitingly for a Killie player in front of goal. However we were back on terms within 2 minutes when Thompson scored from a corner after Brown had nodded it down to him. Zaluska made a great block from a close range header before Thomson scored again heading in a corner. Another excellent block from Zaluska late on after the Celtic defence opened like the Red Sea. We then saw it out for a 2-1 win.