Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

I have to say that I never expected Robbie to be with Celtic after this season. Now that he has has experienced another of his boyhood dreams of playing for Celtic it is much more likely IMO that he will be transferred to another Premier League Club.

He would still be facing red hot competition back at Spurs but he remains a top class forward. I would imagine several Premier clubs would be interested in a striker of his calibre. Whereever he plays next season I hope he is playing regularly. This would surely benefit him at International level and I say this without any hint of bias. :)

Where to next Salty, another of his boyhood heroes?

The poor lad has had more clubs than Jack Nickalaus, probably off to Villa, unless Liewell gets the biscuit tin out, you know the one with £30 million in it.

Anyway hows the weather back home? its roasting here in sunny Bkk,

best you get yourself down to the travel agents and book another flight eastbound.

The poor lad has had more clubs than Jack Nickalaus, probably off to Villa, unless Liewell gets the biscuit tin out, you know the one with £30 million in it.

best you get yourself down to the travel agents and book another flight eastbound.

Hi rgs2001uk,

Who knows, but I feel on a short term basis he is happy to be playing regularly especially for Celtic. I think like most Irish people growing up he had a favourite English side and Celtic. So he has run out of boyhood favourites I would imagine.

Lovely spring day here today. Have been hearing all the stories of the big freeze here in January. I can imagine the heat must be overpowering now in Bkk (politics aside) . Very satisfying to be able to watch CL 2nd legs at 19.45 rather than 02.45. Looking forward to remaining weeks of season and World Cup. Maybe your should "Go west young man" :)

Hi rgs2001uk,

Who knows, but I feel on a short term basis he is happy to be playing regularly especially for Celtic. I think like most Irish people growing up he had a favourite English side and Celtic. So he has run out of boyhood favourites I would imagine.

Lovely spring day here today. Have been hearing all the stories of the big freeze here in January. I can imagine the heat must be overpowering now in Bkk (politics aside) . Very satisfying to be able to watch CL 2nd legs at 19.45 rather than 02.45. Looking forward to remaining weeks of season and World Cup. Maybe your should "Go west young man" :)

without trying to remove the jam from your doughnut salty, as thee top team in sweatland, if that is it,this stage what now satisfies you, kinda sums up the input to the cl in the first place,

at least following ateam that promises nothing , and finishes closely also rans to the weedgie selects

, , surely must be a bigger let down for you when you win zilch and by your own admision admittedly ,are satisfiied to watch other teams in the cl qfs and final stages , very small fish in avery small pond , just admit it,, how very sad when robie keane is considered your saviour,

bout sums up scottish football in general, nothing personal but ther is life outside of the old firm.

, report on what ever match you like mate ,, its not celtics fault , but, you have contributed to create the situation that you are now firmly stuck in, trust me, singling out celtic i am not, but its a

situation that wil never improve or evolve,, and next year only 1 team gets cl draw, is the likes of keane the way forward ??, at least hibs etc expect nothing , sad days indeed :D

^ eThre's the reason most Glaswegians steer clear of Edinburgh.

why?

. , its not a personal attack on your team

cb im telling as it is, both you and them have created the situation , 2 horse race. , partly due to buying the best talent from other challenging teams, nothing wrong with that you say,

tell me that next year when you , dont get to play cl football.

correct me if im wrong , but isnt keane passed his sell by date. i reckon its sad for scottish football when the likes of him are refered to as " saviour". , <deleted> he on a short term loan.

yes its sad , when you cant afford to buy him, it honestly is,

so cb if thats reason for weedgies to avoid edinburgh, up tae you mate,

I think you're taking it all a bit too seriously, Imola.

A Celtic fan is entitled to think, hope, wish, expect

whatever he desires for his team as is any other

supporter of any other club.

If CL football was the number 1 on every fan's list

then I think that would be quite sad. The league is

surely the main goal, and whatever your team is

entitled to after that is the bonus.

I used to go to see Kirkintilloch Rob Roy when I was

a kid and they were woeful. But I enjoyed the fact

that the lads gave their best and I enjoyed the odd

bit of decent football. And the football is what we

should be enjoying, not being morose over what our

teams won't do. Support them for what they do over.

(Sorry 'bout the Embra dig earlier - but I think you

know it was just banter).

I think you're taking it all a bit too seriously, Imola.

A Celtic fan is entitled to think, hope, wish, expect

whatever he desires for his team as is any other

supporter of any other club.

If CL football was the number 1 on every fan's list

then I think that would be quite sad. The league is

surely the main goal, and whatever your team is

entitled to after that is the bonus.

I used to go to see Kirkintilloch Rob Roy when I was

a kid and they were woeful. But I enjoyed the fact

that the lads gave their best and I enjoyed the odd

bit of decent football. And the football is what we

should be enjoying, not being morose over what our

teams won't do. Support them for what they do over.

(Sorry 'bout the Embra dig earlier - but I think you

know it was just banter).

no worries :)

why?

cb im telling as it is, both you and them have created the situation , 2 horse race. , partly due to buying the best talent from other challenging teams, nothing wrong with that you say,

correct me if im wrong , but isnt keane passed his sell by date. i reckon its sad for scottish football when the likes of him are refered to as " saviour". , <deleted> he on a short term loan.

It has almost always been a 2 horse race in Scotland as the Old Firm have been the best supported and well off by far than the others. They can cherry pick the best talent from the other clubs. Of course the expectations of a Hibs fan are much lower than a Celtic fan. We feel very deflated to be so far behind Rangers this season. We welcome a player of RK's ability on a loan basis and are hoping he can help us win the Cup this season. I do not consider him past his sell by date. I expect him to be a big player for whatever team he lines out with next season as well as ROI. As for Celtic the faithful will be hoping and expecting that we will see some decent football next season and that unlike this season we will not hand the title to Rangers.

On the European stage money has destoyed the competitive element in club competitions. Since the start of the Greed is Good league in 1992 the money paid to players has grown to obscene levels. So the Big Two in Scotland cannot compete at this level anymore. It is a sad situation for Scotland and many other European countries as they have to watch the giants in England and elsewhere dominate the landscape.

I don't know about you but I enjoy watching football played by the best players on TV. I am still drooling this morning over another Messi hat trick last night for Barca. :)

why?

It has almost always been a 2 horse race in Scotland as the Old Firm have been the best supported and well off by far than the others. They can cherry pick the best talent from the other clubs. Of course the expectations of a Hibs fan are much lower than a Celtic fan. We feel very deflated to be so far behind Rangers this season. We welcome a player of RK's ability on a loan basis and are hoping he can help us win the Cup this season. I do not consider him past his sell by date. I expect him to be a big player for whatever team he lines out with next season as well as ROI. As for Celtic the faithful will be hoping and expecting that we will see some decent football next season and that unlike this season we will not hand the title to Rangers.

On the European stage money has destoyed the competitive element in club competitions. Since the start of the Greed is Good league in 1992 the money paid to players has grown to obscene levels. So the Big Two in Scotland cannot compete at this level anymore. It is a sad situation for Scotland and many other European countries as they have to watch the giants in England and elsewhere dominate the landscape.

I don't know about you but I enjoy watching football played by the best players on TV. I am still drooling this morning over another Messi hat trick last night for Barca. :)

i dont have the answers salty , but yes its sad for scottish football, to all ow the league to become more competitive i am for the old firm joining another league, whats your view on that?

Some kind of European league involving the smaller countries would be a big winner with TV revenue but it would do little for the fans. Its an expensive enough business to make a handful of trips a year. Away support would dwindle.

What puzzles me about the Scottish game is why no great players have emerged for more than a generation. Surely the fault of the SFA as well as the bigger clubs. In the early '80s Scotland could field a side you would expect to compete at the highest level (well maybe not Brazil!) now its an uphill battle against Wales.

Edited by smokie36

More good news from the Record.

ROBBIE Keane last night admitted he can't wait to get back to Spurs - for a decent cup of tea.

The on-loan hitman confirmed Celtic have no chance of tempting him to stay in Glasgow after May and he's eager to meet up with his Tottenham pals again.

Keane said: "I've a three-year contract at Tottenham so I'll go back in the summer. It's just a loan move and always has been.

"I miss the Tottenham lads - I speak to them all the time - and they are doing well right now.

"I also miss the tea ladies - they are very good down there."

Meanwhile, Celtic's revenue last year was almost double that of Rangers according to the latest Football Money League figures.

Auditors Deloitte's guide to the game's finances shows Celtic with revenues of 77million Euros in 2008-09 compared with 42m at Rangers. Real Madrid lead the world with more than 400m.

Some kind of European league involving the smaller countries would be a big winner with TV revenue but it would do little for the fans. Its an expensive enough business to make a handful of trips a year. Away support would dwindle.

What puzzles me about the Scottish game is why no great players have emerged for more than a generation. Surely the fault of the SFA as well as the bigger clubs. In the early '80s Scotland could field a side you would expect to compete at the highest level (well maybe not Brazil!) now its an uphill battle against Wales.

What like the Europa league, hardly setting the heather on fire is it?

Salty summed it up, greed is good, the turkeys wont be voting for X-mas.

I would like to see all seedings done away with, CL and world cup included, just pull the names out a hat.

Sure I read an article somewhere Mogga was talking about attendances, middle of a recession, players salaries way out of sync with the normal fan, its got to the stage now the normal working man can no longer afford to go and watch live football on a regular basis.

Yes the decision to sign RK was a 2 edged sword, good for the lad to get a regular game, but it didnt exactly put bums on seats, an extra 3,000 punters at £20+ a pop to pay the wages, a so called win win situation.

Not just Scotland Salty, look at Spain, Germany, France, Belgium and Holland etc to see a picture starting to emerge, even the BPL is same old same old, just take a look at the winners of the BPL since its inception, sure every so often a crab makes it out the bucket, Blackburn in this case.

Anyway Salty, not so much of a young man, old enough to remember that song when it first came out.

Yes decent timings for football would be a bonus, so too would being able to knock back a decent ale or stout when watching, and not this gassy fizzy rubbish that passes for beer over here. Just one of the many crosses we have to bare by living here.

Aye, not bad. Give you that.

Now, Imola - Ross County?

Bet you couldn't point it out on a map.

Your arse must be biting lumps out your bar stool.

point it out on a map, :) ross county?? ive met him. see yae at hampden

I am afraid not. Ross County stun Hibs by coming back to win 2-1 in the replay with a late winner. It must be a real sickener for Hibs.

Aye, not bad. Give you that.

Now, Imola - Ross County?

Bet you couldn't point it out on a map.

Your arse must be biting lumps out your bar stool.

point it out on a map, :) ross county?? ive met him. see yae at hampden

I am afraid not. Ross County stun Hibs by coming back to win 2-1 in the replay with a late winner. It must be a real sickener for Hibs.

youve summed that up perfectly, salty, today has been one of those disasters all round, hibs and the hammers both gettin stuffed , its happened before and it will happen again .mai pen rai

An appalling display by Celtic. I can just imagine CB sleeping the sleep of the just and waking up tomorrow morning to see the result. Celtic had maybe more of the 1st half without doing anything of note. They were dreadful to watch and St Mirren went ahead bad defending by Celtic as usual to lead 1-0 at halftime. In the 2nd half Celtic never really looked like getting level. Fortune and Rasmussen were brought on for Braafeid and Ka in an attempt to get back into it but it left the defence threadbare and St Mirren took full advantage going 2-0 up in 58 minutes and addding 2 more in the closing minutes.

In league terms it makes little difference as we are so far behind but it must be the lowest point of a dreadful season. The clamour to replace TM will surely grow after this.

Edited by salty

CB,

Thank heavens. I was worried in case you might have choked on your porridge. :)

Yes I think most of us will look on the bright side. Last nights humiliation has cost us 3 points which in practical terms means little as the League has been lost well before this. We will feel both Cup replay results have not harmed our hopes in that competition. However we cannot take our opponents in the semis for granted of in the final if we get that far.

CB, BBC Website. Has only just been announced.

Celtic part company with manager Tony Mowbray

Tony Mowbray struggled to make an impact in his debut season at Celtic

Celtic have parted company with manager Tony Mowbray following Wednesday's 4-0 defeat at St Mirren.

Mowbray won 17 of the 30 league games played since he arrived from West Brom last June and struggled in Europe.

And the Glasgow club trail Scottish Premier League leaders Rangers by 10 points, having played two more matches than their Old Firm rivals.

A former Celtic defender between 1991 and 1995, he failed to make an impact after succeeding Gordon Strachan.

Assistant manager Mark Venus and first team coach Peter Grant are also leaving.

Mowbray became the 16th manager of Celtic after the club agreed to pay £2m in compensation to West Brom.

The affable figure had been one of three managers targeted, along with Burnley's Owen Coyle, now at Bolton, and Swansea's Roberto Martinez, now at Wigan.

On his arrival, he said he lived by a code of "honesty, integrity, humility and respect" and he hoped to bring those qualities to the Celtic team.

However, his reign was not a happy one, beginning with elimination from the Champions League, albeit against a slick Arsenal side, who have progressed with ease to the last eight of the tournament.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to Mowbray's departure

Dropping into the Europa League, Celtic were expected to qualify from a group that included Hamburg, Rapid Vienna and Hapoel Tel-Aviv, but they could only muster six points from six games, with just one win.

The domestic season started brightly and Celtic were four points ahead of Rangers going into the first Old Firm derby of the season on 4 October, but they lost 2-1 at Ibrox.

And away matches proved to be Mowbray Achilles heel, with Wednesday's 4-0 drubbing by St Mirren heralding Celtic's sixth league defeat on the road.

Strachan had won three titles in four seasons at Celtic Park but Mowbray quickly set about dismantling the squad he inherited, bringing in a raft of new faces.

The big money loan arrival of Spurs striker Robbie Keane in January briefly lifted spirits among supporters but Celtic could not make inroads into Rangers' lead.

Mowbray had a long career at Middlesbrough before his switch to Celtic and later moved on to Ipswich, where he started his coaching career.

He had a brief spell as caretaker boss at Portman Road after the sacking of former Scotland boss George Burley before becoming a manager in his own right at Hibernian.

Mowbray led the Edinburgh club to two top-four finishes in 2005 and 2006, after which he left for West Brom.

He led the Baggies to the Championship play-offs, losing to Derby, but the following season they won the title and promotion to the Premier League.

However, they only lasted a season in England's top tier and were relegated, despite receiving plaudits for their attacking style of football.

His summer switch to Celtic Park was greeted with widespread enthusiasm among the Celtic faithful but few of those will lament his departure.

Neil Lennon/Willie McStay being touted on a temporary basis. :)

To be honest Salters Celtic under Tony would not beat my Arklow Town.

People moaned about Strach but he won 3 titles and got ye to the last 16 of the CL.

its for the best.

Neil Lennon/Willie McStay being touted on a temporary basis. :)

To be honest Salters Celtic under Tony would not beat my Arklow Town.

People moaned about Strach but he won 3 titles and got ye to the last 16 of the CL.

its for the best.

very true, strachan never made many pals at celtic, but brought success for a wee while. Tony should never been allowed the job in the first place. The boards fault intirely. A very expensive mistake indeed. Mowbray never took hibs past 8th place and never improved West Brom.

In the GS era we won 3 titles in a row and did well in Europe. But last season the team played <deleted> and the wee man seemed to have looked at a different game in every post match interview. This did not endear him to the faithful many of whom resented him from the word go.

I feel sorry for TM in the sense that he inherited several players way past their best especially in defence. But he never got to grips with the problems. Watching Celtic this season has been like watching grass grow without the compensation of getting results. In hindsight Craig Levine would have been a better choice assuming he would have been interested.

Hopefully the next incumbent will prove to be a better choice.

In the GS era we won 3 titles in a row and did well in Europe. But last season the team played <deleted> and the wee man seemed to have looked at a different game in every post match interview. This did not endear him to the faithful many of whom resented him from the word go.

I feel sorry for TM in the sense that he inherited several players way past their best especially in defence. But he never got to grips with the problems. Watching Celtic this season has been like watching grass grow without the compensation of getting results. In hindsight Craig Levine would have been a better choice assuming he would have been interested.

Hopefully the next incumbent will prove to be a better choice.

Yeah Saltos but in all honesty look at Rangers. They have a poor side. They have no cash. And they could be 16 points ahead if they win their games in hand.

Tony said he was always trying to play attacking football. But i did'nt see any.

Celtic need somebody who knows what their doing. Otherwise........