Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

I hear that John Hartson is linked to the

(now) vacant St.Mirren job since wee

Angus got the bullet. Hope that happens.

A guy I respect being replaced by a guy

I respect. . . . and then buys Samaras for

a couple of thousand Drachma(sp?) !!!!!

Just spotted this on the Daily Record's website. Maybe there is a God after all!

(Good luck against Paraguay tonight Salty old son).

ESPANYOL have joined the race for Celtic striker Georgios Samaras - and the Greek looks set to leave Parkhead after becoming an outcast under Neil Lennon.

Samaras was made the fall guy by interim boss Lennon for the disastrous Scottish Cup defeat by Ross County and is attracting interest from Europe as he enters the final year of his contract.

Record Sport understands Samaras' advisors are furious at the treatment of their man since the Cup exit and his situation in Glasgow is being assessed by interested parties who are aware Celtic may be willing to do business.

To trump above's news, have a gander at what the Sun has to say today.

I must say it made me sit up straight and blurt my coffee all over the wee

Acer's screen here!

CELTIC have thrown their full financial muscle behind an astonishing bid to land Rangers idol Kris Boyd.

Hoops chiefs will match the ฃ30,000 a week on offer from Birmingham City gaffer Alex McLeish.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell is ready to splash out a ฃ1million signing-on fee to persuade Boyd to turn his back on Gers and sign for their biggest rivals.

Lawwell has been in touch with the player's camp over the last week and has refused to let his pursuit of prolific striker Boyd drop.

Now the 26-year-old hitman will today return from a family holiday in Tenerife with his mind in a whirl over his football future.

Rangers goal machine Boyd is fully aware of the repercussions of agreeing to swap the Light Blues for the Hoops.

It's the most important move of his career and every option must be pondered.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...l#ixzz0oviyeOCJ

To trump above's news, have a gander at what the Sun has to say today.

I must say it made me sit up straight and blurt my coffee all over the wee

Acer's screen here!

CELTIC have thrown their full financial muscle behind an astonishing bid to land Rangers idol Kris Boyd.

Hoops chiefs will match the ฃ30,000 a week on offer from Birmingham City gaffer Alex McLeish.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell is ready to splash out a ฃ1million signing-on fee to persuade Boyd to turn his back on Gers and sign for their biggest rivals.

Lawwell has been in touch with the player's camp over the last week and has refused to let his pursuit of prolific striker Boyd drop.

Now the 26-year-old hitman will today return from a family holiday in Tenerife with his mind in a whirl over his football future.

Rangers goal machine Boyd is fully aware of the repercussions of agreeing to swap the Light Blues for the Hoops.

It's the most important move of his career and every option must be pondered.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...l#ixzz0oviyeOCJ

Cant see it happen to be honest! But hey stranger things have happened. Maurice?

The 'Tic website had this to say today.

(Then look at the Sun article again and click on John Hartson's take of the 'Boyd' deal. Priceless!)

Celtic Football Club statement

Newsroom Staff

CELTIC Football Club today released a statement following media reports linking the club with a move for Rangers striker Kris Boyd.

A spokesman for Celtic said: “Welcome to the silly season. We can categorically state that Kris Boyd has never been a target for Celtic and at no time have we ever attempted to sign him. We will not, repeat NOT, be making a bid for the player.”

It won't be the last kite to be flown in the off season.

Returning to reality with Robbie Keane gone back to Spurs or maybe Villa we are now sniffing around for a goal scoring forward. It seems to me to have been short sighted to sell Scott McDonald. Given a reasonable service he would surely have continued to bang in the goals. :)

“I might need someone to turn to. I would like an older head to turn to. It is a possibility that if I am successful I will go down that road. It would be foolish to think I have all the answers myself.”

He's calling out for you help, Salty old son. Give 'im a call. :)

Sol Campbell "happy to wait" over Celtic move

June 3, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Sol Campbell has promised to make no decision over his future until Celtic resolve that of Neil Lennon.

GettyImages

Sol Campbell has enjoyed an unlikely renaissance with Arsenal

Former England defender Campbell last week revealed he was ''seriously considering'' joining the Hoops and had spoken to Lennon about a possible move.

But with the latter not yet confirmed as permanent manager at Parkhead, Campbell is biding his time.

''I'm just waiting for Celtic to settle the situation with Neil,'' the 35-year-old told the Scottish Sun.

''When we last spoke, he was waiting to see if he was getting the job. I'd have to make a trip to Glasgow and have a look around, see what's happening. I will keep my options open. I'm not going to rush into anything.''

Campbell, who is out of contract at Arsenal, has previously stated he would prefer to sign a new deal with the Gunners. He said: ''I am happy to wait and give Neil a chance and I will show respect to Arsenal and Celtic.''

Meanwhile, Rangers midfielder Lee McCulloch has revealed Hull City's Jimmy Bullard has been phoning him to sound him out about Celtic. Bullard, 31, has been linked with a summer move to Parkhead, possibly in an initial year-long loan.

McCulloch said: ''Jimmy's been on the phone quite a lot and he's asked me what it's like. He's been asking what life is like in Glasgow and if he would enjoy it.

''I've told him he would be idolised at Parkhead. The Celtic fans would take to him the second he arrived.''

Sol Campbell "happy to wait" over Celtic move

June 3, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Sol Campbell has promised to make no decision over his future until Celtic resolve that of Neil Lennon.

GettyImages

Sol Campbell has enjoyed an unlikely renaissance with Arsenal

Former England defender Campbell last week revealed he was ''seriously considering'' joining the Hoops and had spoken to Lennon about a possible move.

But with the latter not yet confirmed as permanent manager at Parkhead, Campbell is biding his time.

''I'm just waiting for Celtic to settle the situation with Neil,'' the 35-year-old told the Scottish Sun.

''When we last spoke, he was waiting to see if he was getting the job. I'd have to make a trip to Glasgow and have a look around, see what's happening. I will keep my options open. I'm not going to rush into anything.''

Campbell, who is out of contract at Arsenal, has previously stated he would prefer to sign a new deal with the Gunners. He said: ''I am happy to wait and give Neil a chance and I will show respect to Arsenal and Celtic.''

Meanwhile, Rangers midfielder Lee McCulloch has revealed Hull City's Jimmy Bullard has been phoning him to sound him out about Celtic. Bullard, 31, has been linked with a summer move to Parkhead, possibly in an initial year-long loan.

McCulloch said: ''Jimmy's been on the phone quite a lot and he's asked me what it's like. He's been asking what life is like in Glasgow and if he would enjoy it.

''I've told him he would be idolised at Parkhead. The Celtic fans would take to him the second he arrived.''

why???????? anyone care an attempt at clarifying that wild stab in the dark, IDOLISED??? i love sarcasm

Will say one thing about Pikeys, they certainly have a lot of disposable income. Thats why the rest of Scotland couldnt afford young Scott Browns wages and Keanes 60 odd grand a week. That would keep the east coast going on scag for a whole season :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Daily Record has this to say 'bout the England goalies wee drama.

(This can be posted here Jockstar, his name is GREEN. . . . . ;)

England howler goalkeeper Rob Green's gloves were Scots-designed

BUTTERFINGERED England goalkeeper Rob Green has his gloves designed by a football-mad Scot.

Dave Baxter, who counts Scotland keepers Craig Gordon and Allan McGregor among his clients, has been involved in designing goalie gloves for the last 20 years.

But the 48-year-old, originally from Montrose, Angus, offered Green his support after the keeper's blunder against the US in England's 1-1 opening World Cup game.

Dave joked he played no part in sabotaging Green's gloves - and said it would be "bad for business" for him not to support the keeper, who was dropped for last night's game against Algeria.

Proud Hibs fan Dave, who grew up idolising Scotland goalie Alan Rough, works for Yorkshire firm Sells Goalkeeper Products.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CB,

No doubt like myself you are relishing the few days off from World Cup watching. Only 8 games to now. I expect that there will be celebrations on the beach in Copacabanana on Sunday week but I wouldn't put my shirt on it. Winners of Argentina/Germany are likely to face them in the final IMO.

From the sublime to the em mundane. As expected Charlie Mulgrew rejoined the Bhoys today. Have to confess he was well below my radar until he started taking those menacing free kicks for Aberdeen. I am sure he will be renewing acquantice with that long b.....ks whom he nearly brushed to death near the end of the season before last. :whistling:

Good to see Mulgrew back, Salty old son, as I can pronounce his name.

This new signing leaves me tongue-tied!!!!

Celtic Confirm Cha Du-Ri Signing

Newsroom Staff

CELTIC are pleased to announce the signing of South Korean defender Cha Du-Ri on a two year deal, subject to a work permit.

The 29-year-old is Neil Lennon’s second signing of the summer following the arrival of Charlie Mulgrew from Aberdeen.

He featured in three of his country’s World Cup matches in South Africa and Celtic have contracted him to the club until 2012, with the option of a third year.

• 2 weeks later...

CB,

We have just drawn Braga(Portugal) Sporting Braga I believe in the CL preliminary round. They were among the seeded lot and would not appear to be the most difficult. I well remember last season drawing and beating Dynamo? Moscow but in the last qualifying round f/ing and blinding when we drew Arsenal.

As with last season if we get through here we will be facing big names in the final qualifiers and would need to be incredibly lucky in the draw to have any hope of playing in the CL proper. :unsure:

Evening Times:Euro boost as Celtic land Portugese Celtic got their dream draw when they were paired with Portuguese side AS Braga in the Champions League qualifier today.

The first leg of the third-round tie is scheduled to take place in northern Portugal on July 28 or 29, with the return at Celtic Park the following Tuesday or Wednesday.

The draw has handed Neil Lennon a huge chance to make a winning start in his first competitive games since taking over as permanent manager.

And, while not underestimating the side who were only just pipped to the championship by Benfica on the final day of last season – Braga’s highest-ever finishing position – Lennon is delighted to have missed big guns, Ajax, Zenit St Petersburg, Dinamo Kiev and Fenerbahce.

If they can get past Braga – who have never played in the Champions League – to book a place in next month’s play-off round, Celtic will again be unseeded and will face either Sevilla, Werder Bremen, Spurs and Ajax or Zenit St Petersburg, provided the last two also get through the third qualifying round.

Today’s draw is a huge incentive for Celtic to continue strengthening their squad in time for the European ties

Today’s draw is a huge incentive for Celtic to continue strengthening their squad in time for the European ties

At least you are buying players. :( Rangers cant even buy players from my local junior side Bellshill. :lol:

Youngsters help United overcome Celtic in Toronto

July 17, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

Manchester United youngsters Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley scored off the bench to see off Celtic 3-1 in their marquee pre-season friendly in Toronto.

GettyImages

Manchester United celebrate their third goal against Celtic

• Ferguson relieved

Dimitar Berbatov opened the scoring for Sir Alex Ferguson's side at the Rogers Centre, only for Georgios Samaras to equalise for Celtic after a foul by United new boy Chris Smalling.

However Welbeck and Cleverley both found the target as the Glasgow side ran out of steam after playing on Wednesday when they lost to Philadelphia Union. Scotland midfielder Darren Fletcher was handed the captaincy, with centre-back Smalling named in the team following his arrival at Old Trafford from Fulham.

United, who had been training in Chicago for four days before the game, made a bright start. Paul Scholes released Gabriel Obertan in the second minute but his cross was intercepted by goalkeeper Lukas Zaluska. Then Fabio skipped away down the left and showed good skill to deliver the ball into the area, only for Darren O'Dea to head clear. United kept up the pressure and Obertan dragged a shot wide in the 10th minute before Berbatov headed over the bar.

Celtic again found themselves on the back foot 19 minutes later when Rafael scampered forward. He picked out Obertan perfectly but the French winger was wasteful, his cross-cum-shot evading Berbatov. The Bulgarian striker was further frustrated in the 30th minute when his effort went the wrong side of the post. However Berbatov got his reward four minutes later - a cool finish after a superb first touch following a cross from Mame Biram Diouf. Celtic went close to drawing level in the 43rd minute, only for Charlie Mulgrew's shot to rattle the outside of the stanchion.

Substitute Darron Gibson could have extended United's lead a minute into the second half but blazed his shot over the bar. Celtic responded and Samaras thought he had equalised in the 49th minute after stepping off the bench. He got in front of goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar and headed firmly into the net but was ruled offside. Back came United and Diouf was bundled over by Mark Wilson in the 'D' seven minutes later. However Gibson's free-kick came back off the wall.

Smalling then saw his shot blocked thanks to an instinctive save from Zaluska before conceding a penalty. The new recruit was penalised for a challenge on Celtic's new recruit Joe Ledley in the 61th minute and Samaras equalised by finding the roof of the net with his spot-kick. Celtic were growing in confidence and Marc Fortune smashed in a shot after 75 minutes that Van der Sar did well to parry.

However United regained the lead in the 79th minute with Berbatov setting up Welbeck and the substitute slid the ball home. It was a good moment for Welbeck who ended the season injured after a loan spell at Preston. His immediate future remains unclear as Sunderland have already declared an interest in taking him on a similar deal.

Cleverley then added a third four minutes from time in front of a crowd of 39,139 after his 20-yard shot took a deflection off O'Dea and left Zaluska stranded.

Ferguson relieved

Ferguson expressed relief after his side got off to a winning start.

Ferguson said: "The first game is one you want to get out of the road because fitness comes into it, as does the time you give to your players. I was pleased as some of the performances were good. We try to get the preparation to a point where they want to want to start playing games. There was a little bit of boredom in the training yesterday.

"They had seven days at Carrington, four days in Chicago; they were desperate for a game. The one thing pre-season brings on is the desire to start playing games. No-one likes pre-season. It does not matter how good it is. Nobody enjoys it because it is rough and tough. It is the hard bit of the game. Thankfully we are on that route of playing.''

Berbatov savoured the experience in front of a 39,000 crowd.

"I was enjoying the whole game,'' he said on MUTV. "We have started well with a win, Celtic are a very good team. They played very well. It's the first game of pre-season, still too early to judge, but it was a good test of our physical form and technical as well. We have a lot of games before the season starts so I think we will be fully prepared.

"When the summer comes you don't stop playing. You play with your friends. But when you come here you play with your team-mates, the season is starting. You come to new countries, see new people, play different teams and it's very exciting.''

Ferguson was pleased to see his side show resilience after Celtic got back on level terms, and delighted with the goal from Welbeck, which involved a one-two with Berbatov.

Ferguson said: "There was a period after Celtic scored when they got a bit of dominance over us and we had to get through. The second goal killed the game. It was a fantastic goal too, a marvellous bit of football from Berbatov. Celtic were very competitive. That's been the way when we have played them. There is not a lot in it between the two teams because the Scotland-England thing motivates both sets of players.''

Meanwhile Ferguson confirmed that Owen Hargreaves will remain in the United States for treatment on his persistent knee problems.

Ferguson said: "He had a recurrence of the knee injury which is of great concern to us. He will remain there until he is ready to come back and train. There is no point in leaving the people who are treating him and did the operation and we have to send him back again. It is pointless.''

Celtic manager Neil Lennon praised his players after they stumbled to their second successive tour defeat. Celtic lost to Philadelphia Union on Wednesday but Lennon was happy with what he saw in Canada.

He said: "It was really pleasing tonight. I thought the level of performance was excellent. There were a number of positives to take out of the game. There was a lot of good football played out there and the players enjoyed the atmosphere and the experience. The second goal came probably after our best spell in the game. I was really pleased with the response of the players, particularly in the second half. Samaras made a difference when he came on.''

Lennon is pleased with the options available to him in midfield, with Joe Ledley having another run-out following his move from Cardiff. In addition Shaun Maloney is getting closer to full fitness after the injuries which have blighted a promising career.

Lennon said: "There were a lot of substitutions near the end as people like Shaun Maloney have not played for a long time. Joe Ledley was starting to feel a bit tired. In the first half against United he was tremendous.''