Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

I fear Parkhead board have lost faith in Mogga

By Jim Mclean on Jan 15, 10 06:49 AM in

I wonder if Peter Lawwell and Celtic's board have started to think they made a big mistake by appointing Tony Mowbray.

Why else would good players such as Gary Caldwell and Barry Robson be sold when the manager wanted them to stay? Directors either back the manager or they don't.There is no grey area. Mowbray should be the man, the only person at the club, to say who stays, goes and joins Celtic.

I'm beginning to suspect chief executive Lawwell and his colleagues have looked at the signings made so far, been far from impressed and decided the manager cannot be trusted with huge amounts of money.

To be fair, none of the new players have exactly been a huge success.

So they would be reluctant to give Mowbray any more to spend - unless they can raise funds by the transfer out of players.That's why Robson and Caldwell are no more.

What does that say about where Mowbray is? For me, it says he's in a far from strong position.

I couldn't believe it when I read Caldwell was away to Wigan and that Robson to Middlesbrough. It's even more astonishing because neither put in a transfer request.

The club took in around £2million for these two which isn't a lot. Even with a few million added on by the board which I don't think was ever going to happen, are they really going to sign a defender and midfielder as good as them? I don't think so.

It's all very well letting a player go but only if you can get in one who is better or at least as good.

You know what players such as Caldwell and Robson will give you - 100 per cent every time.

It's why I wouldn't willingly let go anyone of that calibre and it's why Mowbray wanted to keep them.

Celtic have signed Dutch defender Jos Hooiveld and he might prove a clever addition but with Caldwell away they have exactly the same number of defenders as when they needed to strengthen in the first place.

No manager knows for certain what he will get with a new signing so Celtic are taking a big chance by making so many changes.

I hope the board of directors back Mowbray before the window shuts. Celtic look threadbare, especially in central midfield.

Marc Crosas is just a young lad and hasn't set the heather on fire. Landry Nguemo is on international duty with Cameroon for we don't know how long and Scott Brown and Shaun Maloney are still injured.

So that leaves Zheng Zhi, who's hardly played, and Ki Sung-Yueng, who is still to make his debut.That is an awfully inexperienced team.

Maybe secretly Celtic are saying this season should be written off but will the fans accept that?Will their expectations change while the manager rebuilds? I think you already know the answer.

Sorry

Mowbray has a lot of work to do before the month ends. He needs to find at least four new players, probably more, in little more than a fortnight - not easy when your bosses aren't convinced and suspect you're not the man for the job.

Celtic needed more quality last month before anyone left and now two internationals have gone plus Willo Flood and Chris Killen.

I realise Scottish football is so bankrupt that all clubs must sell before even thinking about buying but there are others in that Celtic squad I would let go to raise money.

The people I feel real sorry for is the supporters.They deserve to be entertained and it's not happening in the SPL right now.

For Mowbray's sake I hope he can cobble together a team and that his board back his decisions from now on.

As told to Neil Cameron

I think i heard a bottle crash. Fkn woeful :D

no sympathy whatsoever, you were obviously takin the rise when you attemted to join the epl, as ive said before , cut it in the blue square first of all, you want out of the spl . ? fine , do 1 then.!, im sure the likesay falkirk will be gutted :):D c.L. last 16? behave yersel :D nothin personal , same applies to THEM aswell.naebody likes ye,s naebody cares :D please go away

Meanwhile back in the SPL: Our "heroes" drop 2 more points. Who knows we might end up with a decent side after all the comings and goings but it will not be this season. Celtic have been playing <deleted> for the past 18months. We are struggling against teams we would have swatted aside in previous seasons. :)

Yes, I'm back in the groove, Salty old son.

Nice wee win in Perth yesterday. 4-1.

We had to come from behind though,

which is a tad scary.

Anyway that only leaves us 7 points

adrift the top, albeit with a game in

hand.

Midweek game against Hibs coming up.

A very important game methinks!

Clearcut win in the end after a dreadful 1st half. The sending off helped of course but you could not help but wonder had Celtic taken some magic potion at HT.

Fortune showed what he can do if he is given a decent supply. As well as the goals he had a few good cutbacks which were wasted. The win keeps us hanging in there but I would not be getting wildly optimistic.

No mention of McCourts moment of glory. I am surprised CB. :)

I was going to mention it, Salty old son, but the 'Tic

website says it just that wee bit better than I could :).

McCourt’s dribbling skills had been a constant thorn on the Saints’ right since his introduction and he nearly added a fourth, when he exchanged passes with Samaras and burst into the box, but his chip over Smith was cleared off the line.

The Irish winger was not to be denied, however, and he lit up the night sky with a goal worthy of any occasion. Cutting in from the left, he skipped past three challenges, before slamming the ball into the top corner.

Oh Dear Oh Dear. After last nights loss to Hibs surely our title hopes have all but disappeared. As of now rather than making up ground we are far more likely to continue to fall further behind.

From perusal of match reports it would seem that Samaras in particular was at his blundering best. If this Dane is any good McDonald and himself will probably be the front two. Fortune seems to be finding a bit of form but all these are straws in the wind.

With few exceptions Celtic have been dreadful since the beginning of last season. Our faith is being sorely tested. :)

He's put it wide incredible!!!!

I would think Mintos bar in Leith was rocking last night, perhaps Imola can give us a report fron Sconny Botland.

Still in the LOS are we Salty?

sorry rgs cannot report on sconny botland, although im sur e there is SUNSHINE ON LEITH, :D

reasonable result for a feeder team :):D:D:D

A 1-0 win at Hamilton but another uninspired performance. A well taken goal by Rasmussen taking advantage of a fortunate break. Surely he will start instead of Samaras who again was awful.

The goal apart Celtic huffed and puffed but with little inspiration. As usual in the last 10 minutes they began to lose the ball everywhere and we worried that they could manage to drop more points. For once they hung on with Fortune missing what seemed a soft penalty which would have clinched it. I hate these short runups. :)

A 1-0 win at Hamilton but another uninspired performance. A well taken goal by Rasmussen taking advantage of a fortunate break. Surely he will start instead of Samaras who again was awful.

The goal apart Celtic huffed and puffed but with little inspiration. As usual in the last 10 minutes they began to lose the ball everywhere and we worried that they could manage to drop more points. For once they hung on with Fortune missing what seemed a soft penalty which would have clinched it. I hate these short runups. :)

Perhaps Costa should have taken the penalty from 30 yards out, he only seems to score screamers, simple tap ins are beyond him.

Thats some holiday Salty, about 3 months? hope you are getting a tax break.

Perhaps Costa should have taken the penalty from 30 yards out, he only seems to score screamers, simple tap ins are beyond him.

Thats some holiday Salty, about 3 months? hope you are getting a tax break.

rgs2001, Close. 84days to be exact. I am retired so length of holiday no problem. :)

Hi spongeman,

Dreadful. The damage of course has already been done with powder puff defending throwing points away like confetti. They are also dreadful to watch as witness the empty seats in the home games. Expecting Robbie to come in like another messiah is being fanciful. They all fancy playing Celtic now. Almost guaranteed to concede and minimum amount of goals required to win. I think TM inherited a lot of players who were gone beyond it . I am not sure I like losing Scott McDonald. If there was a decent supply from midfield he will get goals. At this stage all we can hope for is they get the finger out and at least make Rangers work for it. Unless Robbie can change water into wine I don't think we have a prayer this season. Europa League here we come. :)

Edited by salty